Author Topic: Songs You Wish Didn't Exist  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Songs You Wish Didn't Exist
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
Stadler, Lightning Crashes is a great song. :P

It was the first 15,482 times I heard it.   But it's not even that; the first album was good, the second album was great, but it's the train scenario; they had a hit with that, and it seemed like it encouraged them to follow that vein almost exclusively, and that wasn't what I thought their magic was.  Ed Kowalsadhisdiafhasidfhaisdfhaksdfhaowcjuwicz wrote that and then thought he was Eddie Vedder, Jr.   

That's my beef with the Train song.  "Drops of Jupiter" makes me cry every time I hear it, and "Calling All Angels" is close, but once they hit it with the cute little sing-songy tune with the clever hipster lyrics everything seemed to follow that formula.   Pffffft.  No thanks. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
Sweet Soul Sister

What?? What's wrong with this song?

I actually meant "Hey Soul Sister".   The Cult song is awesome; there's not a bad song on that album (Sonic Temple).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
Live is awesome Stadler.  Ed was more like Bono live. He was the preacher and we followed.

Pun intended.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
Sweet Soul Sister

What?? What's wrong with this song?

I actually meant "Hey Soul Sister".   The Cult song is awesome; there's not a bad song on that album (Sonic Temple).

Phew, I was going to come at you hard for disparaging a great Cult song, and yes that album is stellar.

Just listened to a few seconds of that other song. That was enough.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
Any Iced Earth re-recording with Stu Block.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »

I was going to put Dante's Inferno 2011 on my list.

Offline Adami

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »

That would be at the top of that list. But didn't they also do the Something Wicked Trilogy again too? Ugh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 02:07:18 PM »

That would be at the top of that list. But didn't they also do the Something Wicked Trilogy again too? Ugh.

Only live so far. We'll have the displeasure of hearing a studio version of that in a year or so. All he has to do is stop singing in the deep voice. I was thinking it's not just a Barlow thing, but Jon wants Stu to sound like the guy from Volbeat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »

Only live so far. We'll have the displeasure of hearing a studio version of that in a year or so. All he has to do is stop singing in the deep voice. I was thinking it's not just a Barlow thing, but Jon wants Stu to sound like the guy from Volbeat.

Take any of Volbeat's big songs and that's another submission for this thread. Talk about a tremendously bad voice... The songs themselves are catchy but that voice, oh my god, it's so bad, it actually makes me upset at times when his delivery is so obnoxious and unintelligible.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2018, 12:10:08 AM »

Turns out I was thinking of the Owens re-recording of those songs. Also terrible.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2018, 05:04:45 AM »
Not sure if there are so many Germans here, but for years now there is a mania for Helene Fischer in Germany, a singer whose music (in my opinion) is terrible. But actually I think the mania might be decreasing by now.

When Germany won the football world cup 4 years ago (I know - great timing considering the match yesterday :D ) I was at a public viewing place in Dresden, right at the Elbe, beautiful spot. And then we actually WON the freakin thing and we were all SO HAPPY- and the first song that was played was THIS ONE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haECT-SerHk

OMG I HATE THIS SONG SO MUCH
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2018, 05:20:44 AM »
Shit, now this song is stuck again in my head. You're right, absolutely terrible. And it shows that football players and coaches should not be asked for their favorite music.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2018, 05:23:53 AM »
Italy's victory in 2006 was accompanied by endless repetition of the riff of Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes. Dunno and don't care how the two things came to be associated, it could have been a lot worse I guess but at a certain point it became obnoxious seeing people going "po - po-po-po po-pooo poooo..." all the time  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Benedettosoxfan

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
Here's a fun excuse to emerge from obscurity. I was going to say Seven Nation Army first and foremost. It's a fine song with a cool riff, but it somehow spawned the most insufferable sports chant in human history. I refuse to ever participate in it and I mute the TV whenever a crowd gets it going. I'm cool with "LET'S go SPORTS Team! *dun dun dadadun*" I'm cool with "D-FENCE *clapclapclap*" I'm even cool with doing the wave. The Seven Nation Army chant needs to be retired as soon as possible.

Other than that, I'll go with the "Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" song because nothing good can ever come from its existence, I'll go with the "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" song for ruining 8th grade, and I'll call with the "I heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord Halleljuah" song for being a prerequisite to every talent show, piano recital, and sappy slideshow in the universe.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
How about Threads You Wish Didn't Exist?

Too many to count Tim.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »
How about Threads You Wish Didn't Exist?

Too many to count Tim.  :rollin

I don't agree... I mean, yeah those threads are a little close minded (if that makes sense). But they give opportunity for everyone to complain about stuff they can never really complain about. And I think it's great that this forum is so active!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Here's a fun excuse to emerge from obscurity. I was going to say Seven Nation Army first and foremost. It's a fine song with a cool riff, but it somehow spawned the most insufferable sports chant in human history. I refuse to ever participate in it and I mute the TV whenever a crowd gets it going. I'm cool with "LET'S go SPORTS Team! *dun dun dadadun*" I'm cool with "D-FENCE *clapclapclap*" I'm even cool with doing the wave. The Seven Nation Army chant needs to be retired as soon as possible.

Other than that, I'll go with the "Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" song because nothing good can ever come from its existence, I'll go with the "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" song for ruining 8th grade, and I'll call with the "I heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord Halleljuah" song for being a prerequisite to every talent show, piano recital, and sappy slideshow in the universe.

I'm angry I didn't remember to put "Hallelujah", especially since it became the sort of de facto official song of the RESISTANCE! movement.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »
I saw Jeff Buckley play that live.  Sorry, it was a goosebump moment I will never forget.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Lovely song that's sadly been overplayed to death.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »
I saw Jeff Buckley play that live.  Sorry, it was a goosebump moment I will never forget.

I can imagine; I would pay to have seen that. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2018, 07:18:29 AM »
I'm glad I was too young to remember ever hearing Hallelujah anywhere, so it doesn't bother me  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »
I only found out it existed because an italian singer, Elisa (the one I mention in my sig) made a cover of that. That was the way I discovered the song so I even prefer it over Jeff Buckley's version or the other ones, including the original.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »
I think Hallelujah is an amazing song and it never fails to give me goosebumps if performed well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2018, 02:51:26 PM »
To many people, the Buckley version is the definitive one; I won't disagree with that.   

I'm talking about the way it's morphed into the "message" song du jour.   Kate McKinnon singing it on SNL because her choice didn't win.   I get it, it's a song of catharsis, and love lost, the tragedy of dealing with a broken heart...but the over-use is dulling it's impact.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
Weird, I've never heard that song within the context of being part of a "message."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »
Weird, I've never heard that song within the context of being part of a "message."

The cold open on SNL the Saturday following the 2016 election was just Kate McKinnon singing "Hallelujah".

https://ew.com/article/2016/11/13/snl-kate-mckinnon-covers-leonard-cohen-hallelujah-hillary-clinton/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
Is that really that big a deal?  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »
Well, the losing candidate in any election certainly deserves a "powerful tribute."

“I did my best, it wasn’t much." You don't say, Hillary.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
Despacito.
Songs you wish did exist?
Despacito 2

Offline Lethean

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
Stadler, Lightning Crashes is a great song. :P

It was the first 15,482 times I heard it.   But it's not even that; the first album was good, the second album was great, but it's the train scenario; they had a hit with that, and it seemed like it encouraged them to follow that vein almost exclusively, and that wasn't what I thought their magic was.  Ed Kowalsadhisdiafhasidfhaisdfhaksdfhaowcjuwicz wrote that and then thought he was Eddie Vedder, Jr.   

That's my beef with the Train song.  "Drops of Jupiter" makes me cry every time I hear it, and "Calling All Angels" is close, but once they hit it with the cute little sing-songy tune with the clever hipster lyrics everything seemed to follow that formula.   Pffffft.  No thanks.

Interesting.  I'll give you that Lightning Crashes was probably overplayed, but as I don't really listen to the radio, I haven't heard it in a really long time.   I haven't really followed Live's career, but regardless of what happened with their song writing, I dunno.  I don't think it calls for wishing the song out of existence. :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
Did someone already say we built this city? Because by now, someone really should’ve mentioned it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »
Did someone already say we built this city? Because by now, someone really should’ve mentioned it.

I say them open with it and close with it opening for Night Ranger.  Yup.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2018, 08:44:07 PM »

That's horrific.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »

That's horrific.

I know, right? You'd have to pay me to see Night Ranger.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »

Is there anyone you didn't see in the 80's? :lol