Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78353 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Giannis beasting
« Reply #875 on: May 20, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
Sure, the Dino won game 3 in 2OT, but it still doesn't feel like they can come back and win this series. After all they barely won game 3 even with Antetokoumpo fouled out 🤷🏻‍♂

Bucks three best players played their worst offense game of the season collectively and it still went 2OT.

Perhaps that's at least somewhat because of the Raps defense?  Bucks played worse in Game 1, imo, and the Raps let it slip away with a terrible fourth.  Refs were abysmal last night - towards both... Giannis travel; Leonard double-dribble; Powell's 6th foul was clearly an illegal pick by Lopez.  Siakim could've iced the game at the end of regulation - there was no need for it to go to OT at all.  Free throw shooting let the Bucks down too.

I don't think the Raps will come back either, but they earned that one - it's not like the Bucks let it slip away - unless once considers a team that whose only lead was 2-0  'letting it slip away'.   :lol 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #876 on: May 20, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »
I think the Raps are playing as best they can. The problem is -- the Bucks are better and deeper. The Bucks are playing nine guys. The Raps are playing seven or eight. I give the Raps credit for fighting the way they are. And they did, for at least yesterday, shut down Giannis. But I think the outcome is a forgone conclusion at this point.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #877 on: May 20, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »
. But I think the outcome is a forgone conclusion at this point.

Well, it is the NBA..  :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: May 20, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
. But I think the outcome is a forgone conclusion at this point.

Well, it is the NBA..  :neverusethis:

:neverusethis:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #879 on: May 20, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
Sure, the Dino won game 3 in 2OT, but it still doesn't feel like they can come back and win this series. After all they barely won game 3 even with Antetokoumpo fouled out 🤷🏻‍♂

Bucks three best players played their worst offense game of the season collectively and it still went 2OT.

Perhaps that's at least somewhat because of the Raps defense?  Bucks played worse in Game 1, imo, and the Raps let it slip away with a terrible fourth.  Refs were abysmal last night - towards both... Giannis travel; Leonard double-dribble; Powell's 6th foul was clearly an illegal pick by Lopez.  Siakim could've iced the game at the end of regulation - there was no need for it to go to OT at all.  Free throw shooting let the Bucks down too.

I don't think the Raps will come back either, but they earned that one - it's not like the Bucks let it slip away - unless once considers a team that whose only lead was 2-0  'letting it slip away'.   :lol

both teams played great defense in game 3, but I'm not sure even a great defense will limit the Bucks starters to 19-69 (28%) shooting every game. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #880 on: May 20, 2019, 09:51:33 PM »
The Blazers really played poorly in the 4th and OT.   They even held off the normal 3rd Quarter run that GSW is kinda famous for.   But they just ran out of gas. 

I'm still proud of Portland for making it this far.     I have to admire the dynasty in GS, but this is the part I hate about any dynasty in any sport.   It starts to feel like no one else has a shot.   But I'm happy for the hometown fans.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #881 on: May 20, 2019, 09:54:54 PM »
I have to say, double triple-doubles by Curry and Green; and without both KD, Cousins and AI? That was an impressive series closing win!!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #882 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »
Now the new questions are, will KD, Cousins and AI be ready for the Finals? And how effective will they be?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #883 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
There are some people (Stephen A smith :facepalm:) who say the Bucks will beat the warriors if KD does not play.

I'm honestly more interested in Free Agency than I am about the finals since we all know the warriors are completing the 3-peat.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #884 on: May 21, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »
Not trying to gloat (seriously, I'm not!), but I loved this series.  My biggest complaint about the Warriors is that they can seem so complacent and do not play like they are capable of playing.  This series, down two starters (and then Iguodala going down as well), they had to eliminate the distractions and show who they are and how they play, and they did.  And they placed disciplined and eliminated the excessive fouls, the techs, the whining to the refs, and the bad stuff that you didn't see on this team the first two years of their run.  I'm really glad to see THIS version of the team back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: May 21, 2019, 08:41:55 AM »
Not trying to gloat (seriously, I'm not!), but I loved this series.  My biggest complaint about the Warriors is that they can seem so complacent and do not play like they are capable of playing.  This series, down two starters (and then Iguodala going down as well), they had to eliminate the distractions and show who they are and how they play, and they did.  And they placed disciplined and eliminated the excessive fouls, the techs, the whining to the refs, and the bad stuff that you didn't see on this team the first two years of their run. I'm really glad to see THIS version of the team back.

You'll be seeing it a lot more after this season.  :lol

In all seriousness though, the Warriors have been impressive ever since KD went down. Sure, they let the Blazers hold a lead, but it was more like the Warriors were conserving for the big runs. And that's what the iconic championship teams do. It's been nice to see Steph Curry being forced to be himself, instead of standing around watching Durant. And Steph's numbers show it. In addition, while Thompson is always solid, Draymond Green has elevated his game in a HUGE way without Durant. Again, now he's not standing around, the offense operates through him, instead of KD, and the tempo is higher. Lock down defense. Just an all around excellent job by DG. And you thought I'd never compliment the guy, bosk.  :lol

DG said all the right things about KD and Boogie Cousins last night after the game, like how they needed them both, etc. But frankly, the team operates much better without them. It forces Steph to be active, and they re-route everything to run through DG, which allows him the creative freedom he needs to maximize his skills. Honestly, I think they offer a max deal to Thompson and let KD walk. Particularly if they win the title (whether KD plays or not in the Finals). Great work by Golden State.

Go Milwaukee!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #886 on: May 21, 2019, 09:25:28 AM »
DG said all the right things about KD and Boogie Cousins last night after the game, like how they needed them both, etc. But frankly, the team operates much better without them. It forces Steph to be active, and they re-route everything to run through DG, which allows him the creative freedom he needs to maximize his skills. Honestly, I think they offer a max deal to Thompson and let KD walk. Particularly if they win the title (whether KD plays or not in the Finals). Great work by Golden State.

I almost feel bad for Kevin Durant.  Some already question how difficult it was to get his rings (jumping to a 73-win team that had already won a title), and now they are kicking ass in the playoffs without him.  And if he does not play and they still win the finals without him, it will be a serious dent in his legacy.

Like I said, I almost feel bad for Durant...almost.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #887 on: May 21, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »

I almost feel bad for Kevin Durant.  Some already question how difficult it was to get his rings (jumping to a 73-win team that had already won a title), and now they are kicking ass in the playoffs without him.  And if he does not play and they still win the finals without him, it will be a serious dent in his legacy.

It's interesting, and shows more why I feel he needs to leave Golden State to really leave his mark (re: legacy). He got his rings. Now earn one when you have to build it up, instead of joining something that was already established.

My one concern (if I was a GS fan) is the age of the core. Steph (31), Klay (29) and Green (29) are not "young." They aren't old, either. But they have played SO many playoff games, they've played, generally another 2 NBA seasons. That's a lot of games logged on those bodies. If you give Klay and Green max deals, you're paying for past performance. They need to find a way to develop younger talent that can take over in the next few years. But because of the salaries, they probably won't be able to. Steph in particular, has taken a beating, and he's the eldest of the three. From the GS perspective, they need to find some hidden gems in the draft, and make an effort to sign some young talent, perhaps sacrificing some wins in order to do it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #888 on: May 21, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »

I don't.  I think people worry too much about "legacy."  Just play the game. 

I just want them to win another championship this year and complete the 3-peat.  It has been great to see them rise up and dominate with him going out.  I think that has been a HUGE lift to this team moving forward, whether that be with KD or without him.  I hope he comes back and plays well in the finals.  But if he doesn't and they still win, that's okay too.

I'm just kind of tired of the narrative about whether or not he is leaving.  He contributes to that somewhat by the way he has structured his contract extensions and his silence.  But most of it is not on him, and is media just trying to create a story.  If he stays, that will be great.  If he goes, that's fine too.  As far as on court skills, you can't replace someone like Durant.  But on the other hand, they are financially healthier without him and will no doubt continue to pick up free agents along the way to bolster the roster.

If he goes, I think the fans will be upset and a lot will turn their backs on him.  It might not be fair, but I think a lot of fans will hold the negativity around whether he is staying or leaving against him if it turns out that he is really going.  If he stays another year, I think he will have a lot more support from the local fan base, even if he leaves after that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #889 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:10 AM »

It's interesting, and shows more why I feel he needs to leave Golden State to really leave his mark (re: legacy). He got his rings. Now earn one when you have to build it up, instead of joining something that was already established.

My one concern (if I was a GS fan) is the age of the core. Steph (31), Klay (29) and Green (29) are not "young." They aren't old, either. But they have played SO many playoff games, they've played, generally another 2 NBA seasons. That's a lot of games logged on those bodies. If you give Klay and Green max deals, you're paying for past performance. They need to find a way to develop younger talent that can take over in the next few years. But because of the salaries, they probably won't be able to. Steph in particular, has taken a beating, and he's the eldest of the three. From the GS perspective, they need to find some hidden gems in the draft, and make an effort to sign some young talent, perhaps sacrificing some wins in order to do it.

Agreed, regarding Durant. While the situations were very different, some never gave LeBron James full props until he went back to Cleveland and won a ring, and the same will apply to Durant.  He needs to go elsewhere and win.

As for the Warriors, it's kinda unfortunate, because while they are about to do something that even Jordan's Bulls and the Lakers with Magic and Kareem never did: win 4 titles in 5 seasons, yet I doubt they will be as revered over time as those dynasties, because of the Durant factor.  They likely could have been a dynasty without Durant (although it is hard to say if they beat the Cavs both of the last two years after going 1-1 without them in the finals pre-Durant), but the widely-held perception is that they stacked their team to a point that no team has a realistic shot to beat them 4 out of 7, although Houston came close last year.  The legacy of Steph Curry won't quite be the same either.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #890 on: May 21, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »

I don't.  I think people worry too much about "legacy."  Just play the game. 

I think players care more about legacy more than most will admit.

I think LeBron James knew what it would mean to his legacy to go back and win a ring in Cleveland (which was dog shit w/o him and dog shit again w/o him).

And I think Durant knows what a ring elsewhere would mean, and given what a sensitive guy he has shown himself to be (which is not meant to be a negative), I think he will leave to try and get that ring with a team that is truly his.  Even with those finals MVP's, everyone knows it is still Steph's team.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #891 on: May 21, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
If we are talking about Legacy, I don't think Steph's legacy is affected because of Durant at all. He was already known to be a great shooter, they were people as early as 2011-12 predicting his MVP season. Curry might slow down in the next year or two, but he will be known as the (or one of) greatest shooters in NBA history. He won a championship without Durant, and even though AI got the finals MVP, we all know Curry was the main guy for that championship.

Durant on the other hand will go down as a great player and nothing more unless he shows he can get it done somewhere else. He can try to go back to OKC, he can go to the Knicks and try. But unless he wins somewhere else, he will be known as a great player that joined one of the greatest teams in NBA history.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:03:29 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03:29 AM »

I'm just kind of tired of the narrative about whether or not he is leaving.  He contributes to that somewhat by the way he has structured his contract extensions and his silence.  But most of it is not on him, and is media just trying to create a story.  If he stays, that will be great.  If he goes, that's fine too.  As far as on court skills, you can't replace someone like Durant.  But on the other hand, they are financially healthier without him and will no doubt continue to pick up free agents along the way to bolster the roster.

If he goes, I think the fans will be upset and a lot will turn their backs on him.  It might not be fair, but I think a lot of fans will hold the negativity around whether he is staying or leaving against him if it turns out that he is really going.  If he stays another year, I think he will have a lot more support from the local fan base, even if he leaves after that.

I am with you on being tired of the narrative, but the bold is not correct. It IS a story. Period. Because of what you mentioned -- how he very purposefully structured his contract so he could be a FA, and because he heightens the drama by refusing to talk about it. If he came out to the reporters and said this in the early part of the season, verbatim, a lot of the speculation would have subsided:

"I understand you all have a job to do when it comes to reporting on my athletic career. I'll be honest, I made sure I had my options open with my contract, because that was the smart thing to do with the cap opening up more. This is my passion, but its also my job, and I want to maximize what I can earn. It'd be stupid NOT to do it that way. I love playing here, and I love the success we've had. I do not want this to become a distraction to my teammates and the NBA. I am going to pour my soul into this season, and when the season is over, I'll be happy to talk to everyone about my future. But this season, right now, and for the next 82 games and playoffs, my focus is solely on the Golden State Warriors and helping get us another ring. Respect my request, and I'll be happy to answer any question you all put my way regarding the games and what we're doing. But let's leave the offseason to the offseason."

>>>But instead, Durant closed off, refused to talk really, and treated the media like a plague to be avoided. That's not how you do it. Durant, not the media, made the error. As a former journalist, and one who briefly covered some high profile athletes, its very easy to see how the players wish to control the narrative. They want all the control on what is said and what is not said. That's not how it works. However, if you build a rapport with the media, and are honest with them, most of the time, you can find a solid base to work from. But the more you hide, the more you become a story. Durant has handled it wrong. Plain and simple.

As for the fan base in Golden State, I don't think the fans are really going to care (overall) if he leaves. Yeah, there will be some butt-hurt for a bit, but they'll get over it. THe fact of the matter is, most of the GS fans consider Curry, Thompson, and Mouth Breather (my wife's nickname for Green) to the team. Durant was an import. An important import, but an import nevertheless. If he stays, he'll endear himself more to the fans. And maybe he'll transcend and be on the same level as Curry, Thompson, and Green with Bay Area fans. But if he leaves, they'll get over it.

>>>>Regarding Steph's legacy -- cemented without Durant. 100 percent. That guy is an icon (for better or worse) like Iverson, Kobe, Shaq, and Jordan. Steph changed the game with his shooting. His place in the game's history is completely secure and intact. His legacy is cemented.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #893 on: May 21, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »
I don't really WANT to defend Durant, but a couple of things:

1.  Yes, it would be nice if he would have responded exactly like you said.  But the reality is that most guys don't do that.  Maybe they aren't articulate enough.  Maybe it isn't in their best interest to do that, for any number of reasons.  Maybe they just don't think it's anyone else's business.  And I don't think either the media or the fans have any right to demand that, no matter how much we want to know.  IMO, a player has every right to play their future and their finances close to the vest.  Of course, the corollary to that is that the fans thus have every right to feel however they want to feel about that (in other words, fair or not, there are consequences to such an approach). 

2.  You're description of Durant's response is not really accurate.  He had given a more substantive response to the media that is very much along the lines of what you said he should say.  He said essentially what you said.  And after he said that, when reporters continued to prod and demand more, that is when he shut down.  I'm not defending everything he has said and done, but it's not quite right to say that he just clammed up and refused to talk to them.

Regarding Steph's legacy, I mostly agree with you.  But there can still be a tendency on the part of some to give him his due.  It isn't quite as prevalent now as it was 2-4 years ago, but you saw a lot of players and fans then who didn't understand his style of play, were resentful because he was so different in how he played (and thus perceived as "not doing it right"), and too quick to look for reasons why he wasn't as good as the players you mentioned.  There still is some of that.  It has dissipated quite a bit.  But there are some that still hold to that.  But I think what has helped is just the sustained winning and sustained excellence, and him coming alive these playoffs has been a big help in that overall perception, I think.  I really hope he can continue to perform at this level and grab a finals MVP, because I think that would also be a huge boost in that regard as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: May 21, 2019, 11:45:08 AM »
Curry is an icon - with or without KD.  Can anyone argue it wasn't the one responsible for making the 3-point shot a mandatory requirement for success?  Wins and losses often hinge on a teams 3-point %.  It's absolutely a difference maker.

I wouldn't put him on par with Jordan (he's in class of his own imo).  But I'll put him up there with Kobe/Shaq for sure.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: May 21, 2019, 01:42:21 PM »
I don't really WANT to defend Durant, but a couple of things:

1.  Yes, it would be nice if he would have responded exactly like you said.  But the reality is that most guys don't do that.  Maybe they aren't articulate enough.  Maybe it isn't in their best interest to do that, for any number of reasons.  Maybe they just don't think it's anyone else's business.  And I don't think either the media or the fans have any right to demand that, no matter how much we want to know.  IMO, a player has every right to play their future and their finances close to the vest.  Of course, the corollary to that is that the fans thus have every right to feel however they want to feel about that (in other words, fair or not, there are consequences to such an approach). 

The sports media's job is to ask questions of the athletes and report on topics of interest. Players, by contract (and it is in their contracts) are to be made available to the media. In every professional sports contract I have ever seen (and I have signed my own, albeit its not an NBA one), there is always a clause about media availability. The players have made that whole relationship adversarial, because in this day and age, they want control over what is said about them, at all times. The mature ones understand that's simply not possible, and do their best to be engaging. The bad ones, like Westbrook and Durant, come off as prima donnas, whiners, and overall, like big babies who can't have their way, so they act like spoiled brats. Durant is an incredible athlete. From everything I hear, he's also an incredible person and does a lot for various communities, but doesn't want attention for it. I TOTALLY get that. But when it comes to his basketball career, he does himself ZERO favors acting like he does with reporters.

2.  You're description of Durant's response is not really accurate.  He had given a more substantive response to the media that is very much along the lines of what you said he should say.  He said essentially what you said.  And after he said that, when reporters continued to prod and demand more, that is when he shut down.  I'm not defending everything he has said and done, but it's not quite right to say that he just clammed up and refused to talk to them.

Link? Because no, he did not say that. He clammed up the moment he was asked about it after the end of LAST year. And got bitchy about it. He in no way did as you describe. If you're spot-on, I stand corrected, but I don't recall him doing that at all, and I very much pay attention to all of that (one, because I'm a hoops junkie, and two, because I used to be a member of the media, so I try and make sure I catch big story lines, and how athletes are questioned).

Regarding Steph's legacy, I mostly agree with you.  But there can still be a tendency on the part of some to give him his due.  It isn't quite as prevalent now as it was 2-4 years ago, but you saw a lot of players and fans then who didn't understand his style of play, were resentful because he was so different in how he played (and thus perceived as "not doing it right"), and too quick to look for reasons why he wasn't as good as the players you mentioned.  There still is some of that.  It has dissipated quite a bit.  But there are some that still hold to that.  But I think what has helped is just the sustained winning and sustained excellence, and him coming alive these playoffs has been a big help in that overall perception, I think.  I really hope he can continue to perform at this level and grab a finals MVP, because I think that would also be a huge boost in that regard as well.

I think you meant "NOT" give him his due in the second sentence. And I agree with you on all of it. I think the holdouts are people very much stuck in that "Steph couldn't play in the 80s and 90s" mentality. Simply put, while I get those that feel that way, I do not agree at all that Steph should be judged because he plays the game in this era. The man transcends eras. He can shoot from anywhere on the court. He's a better pure shooter than anyone in NBA history, and that includes Bird and Reggie Miller. Sure, because the game is more open now, the records will all be Steph's. But they'd be his anyway.

I mean sure, back in the day, when they allowed hand-checking and actual defense, Steph would be beat up a little more. But his old man, Dell Curry, who DID play in the 80s and 90s, and was a great shooter in his own right, is only ONE inch taller, and they both weigh exactly the same. And Dell lit up defenses back then. So, to me, Steph's style of play transcends. I may not like the Warriors, but to deny Steph Curry's greatness as an NBA icon is foolhardy. On that, we can agree. LOL.

Curry is an icon - with or without KD.  Can anyone argue it wasn't the one responsible for making the 3-point shot a mandatory requirement for success?  Wins and losses often hinge on a teams 3-point %.  It's absolutely a difference maker.

I wouldn't put him on par with Jordan (he's in class of his own imo).  But I'll put him up there with Kobe/Shaq for sure.

I hear ya. I mean, Jordan...Jordan was the right guy, at the right time. HIs legend was built on his talent, obviously, and his athletic ability to soar, but also because of the advertising boom of the 80s that really took off with him. He was really the first one (and Dr. J and Magic to a lesser degree, but only because they came before Jordan) to really capture and use that advertising as a launch point for his own brand. He paved the way for everyone who did that after him. Will Curry reach those heights? Perhaps. But it'll be based less on basketball, and more on image and brand. Look at Iverson. He's the guy most NBA dudes remember. Why? Because he brought something entirely different to the NBA. Street culture. Tats, all that stuff. The culture of ISO play and one-on-one dominance. I could make a good argument that Iverson is more of an NBA Icon than Kobe or Shaq. Not that I think that personally, but I could make a damn compelling argument. Steph's icon status in the league is secure. Whether it gets up to the level of Jordan remains to be seen. I don't think it will, but he certainly has impacted the league very much in the same way Jordan and Iverson have.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #896 on: May 21, 2019, 02:53:35 PM »
Steph Curry should have been a Buck......

.....but they traded for Monta Ellis instead because they didn't think Curry's ankles were going to hold up.  :-[

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #897 on: May 21, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
The sports media's job is to ask questions of the athletes and report on topics of interest. Players, by contract (and it is in their contracts) are to be made available to the media. In every professional sports contract I have ever seen (and I have signed my own, albeit its not an NBA one), there is always a clause about media availability.

Yes, that's all true.  But whether it is the media's job or not, a lot of reporters cross the line and get into things that are none of their business, ask stupid questions, and/or repeat #1 and #2 long after either the answer is already out there or the player has already said he doesn't want to answer it.  Which is also why you have some, like a certain incredibly well-respected coach of the Spurs, who also has such a clause and is expected to be a primary media conduit for his team, who also regularly refuses to answer question and can be a jerk to media at times.  My point simply is, whether it is a reporter's job or not isn't really the point in this. 

The players have made that whole relationship adversarial, because in this day and age, they want control over what is said about them, at all times.

Very true.  But, again, I put the adversarial nature of that relationship just as squarely on the shoulders of the media as well.  The responsibility for that does NOT reside only on one side, in my opinion.

The bad ones, like Westbrook and Durant, come off as prima donnas, whiners, and overall, like big babies who can't have their way, so they act like spoiled brats.

Well, this is where I DO feel it necessary to defend Durant somewhat.  I'll give you that he does come across that way sometimes.  But for every interview where he does, there are 10 where he doesn't.  I'm not absolving him of anything.  But to put him in the same class as, say, Westbrook, or (switching sports) Marshawn Lynch, is unfair.

Link? Because no, he did not say that. He clammed up the moment he was asked about it after the end of LAST year. And got bitchy about it. He in no way did as you describe. If you're spot-on, I stand corrected, but I don't recall him doing that at all...

OK, I'm going to backpedal just a bit because I'm not sure of the timing.  You may be right that he initially clammed up, then opened up a bit, and then clammed up again.  In fact, I think I do remember that being the case now that I think about it.  But, yes, he did say essentially what you had described above.  I VERY distinctly remember hearing sound of it on KNBR (which I listen to during the NBA and NFL seasons).  I couldn't tell you who was interviewing him or where the sound came from.  But I do distinctly remember it--that I'm certain of. 

In any case, my goal was just to set the record straight on a few of the particulars.  Ultimately, we just disagree on the role of the media in these types of things and how much license that gives a player to avoid some types of questions.  We probably aren't THAT far apart.  But at the end of the day, it's just one of those things that we don't see eye to eye on.

I think you meant "NOT" give him his due in the second sentence.

And I agree with you on all of it. I think the holdouts are people very much stuck in that "Steph couldn't play in the 80s and 90s" mentality. Simply put, while I get those that feel that way, I do not agree at all that Steph should be judged because he plays the game in this era. The man transcends eras. He can shoot from anywhere on the court. He's a better pure shooter than anyone in NBA history, and that includes Bird and Reggie Miller.

Correct, yes!  I meant "not."  :)  It's funny that I don't really ever hear many dispute that he's the best pure shooter.  (maybe he is; maybe he's just "top X"--I don't know)  But what you used to hear a lot more than you do now is, "well, he may be the best pure shooter, BUT..."  As in, but that's all he can do.  They didn't see/acknowledge how he cuts, sets screens, comes off screens, and does all the things he does to CREATE a lot of those shots.  They didn't acknowledge how slippery and cunning he is at getting to the rim for layups, and how crafty he is about getting the shot to the rim even when well defended.  They didn't acknowledge that, while he may not be truly "elite" as a defender like Thompson or Green, he's still excellent in that department.  But, yeah, that's starting to change.  I'd still like to see him get a finals MVP.  I think it would be a nice feather in his cap, and an acknowledgement of all he does.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #898 on: May 21, 2019, 08:51:11 PM »
Wow.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: May 22, 2019, 03:42:09 AM »
Great win by the Raps. And huge effort from the bench. If only they could've held on thing Game 1. I'm quite pleasantly surprised at these last two games. Everyone is clicking, and not just leaving it on Leonard.

Likely to be a different story as an away game though. And Leonard's leg worries me.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #900 on: May 22, 2019, 07:03:07 AM »
I'm so proud of the Raps. I don't know that they will win the series - because Kawhi is not 100% and the Bucks have home-court advantage - but this is by far and away the best team we've ever had.

Regarding all the legacy talk, I think that Durant's situation illustrates how flawed the conventional perception of what "legacy" is. Generally, the formula for legacy has been something like: Championships + MVPs + All-Star Games. As the totals get higher, the legacy grows. But as great as Durant has been, it is clear that the Warriors success hinges upon so much more than just him. I heard someone describe him as an "insurance policy", which is way harsh, but not entirely untrue. The bottom line is that I would love to see sports media approach "legacies" in a new way, because the conventional way is clearly lackluster. But that probably won't happen because... you know... ratings and stuff.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #901 on: May 22, 2019, 07:04:25 AM »
I have watched 95% of the Bucks games this season and do not recognize the team that has played the last two games.  I'm sure a lot has to do with Toronto, but I still feel Milwaukee is doing a lot to themselves.

Not going to lie, I'm nervous.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: May 22, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »
I have watched 95% of the Bucks games this season and do not recognize the team that has played the last two games.  I'm sure a lot has to do with Toronto, but I still feel Milwaukee is doing a lot to themselves.

Not going to lie, I'm nervous.

The intensity of the Raptors has picked up incredibly well. They aren't allowing Giannis to dominate offensively, which is forcing others to step up, and other than Middleton, it hasn't been consistent. They keep closing the lanes that Giannis typically accelerates through, forcing him to kick the ball out (which is the right play). But as I said, other than Middleton, other guys haven't been able to capitalize, and that's killing the Bucks. This is where Coach Bud needs to earn his salary. Nick Nurse tweaked things to adjust, now Bud needs to find a way to get The Freak free. It's compounded because Giannis doesn't have reliable shooting range.

If it were me, I'd start posting Giannis up, every possession. Take advantage of his size. Pound it, and then have the other four guys be spacers that can shoot. See what happens. If they come to double, then there's no one better on Milwaukee's team than Giannis in finding the open man. But I'd go to the post and pound it with him until they stop it, and see if that disrupts what they are doing defensively. Because it seems to me, Toronto just has re-committed to not allowing Giannis the space to glide through. So put his back to the basket, and pound it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: May 22, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
Only the 2nd time all year the Bucks lost back-to-back games.  A small part of me is hoping they pull a 'Raptors' playoff job, and let it slip away when they are the better team.  Last year the Raps dominated in the regular season (including Cleveland), then shriveled up.  Fingers crossed that the same fate awaits Milwaukee. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: May 22, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
From a purely NBA fan perspective though, the Raptors have absolutely no chance in hell of beating the Warriors. I'd bet on a Warriors sweep if they played the Raptors. The Raps just aren't deep enough. Milwaukee, if firing on all cylinders, would at least push it to probably six games and make the Ws sweat a little.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: May 22, 2019, 12:55:40 PM »
From a purely NBA fan perspective though, the Raptors have absolutely no chance in hell of beating the Warriors. I'd bet on a Warriors sweep if they played the Raptors. The Raps just aren't deep enough. Milwaukee, if firing on all cylinders, would at least push it to probably six games and make the Ws sweat a little.

Hard to argue that.  They have an 8-man rotation, and 2 of those bench players (VanFleet and Powell) haven't shown ANY consistency.  The next 5 are only getting garbage minutes, and frankly... only wearing a uniform because the Raps depleted their depth to get Gasol, and then had to free up salary.  If they had OG Anunoby, it'd at least be a 9-man team.  But even if he does come back, hard to ask him to do much after not playing for 6+ weeks.

I'm surprised they're getting/giving a 2nd wind with the Bucks to be honest.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: May 22, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
Speaking of depth, I had totally forgotten Jeremy Lin was on the Raptors until I saw him cheerleading the other night on the bench.  :lol Dude, go with Linsanity. You never know!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: May 22, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
You know the bench is a problem when Linsanity is #9/#8 on the depth chart.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #908 on: May 22, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »

Or is that a sign of bad coaching? Don't get me wrong, I like Nick Nurse so far, but I am slightly shocked Lin gets virtually no minutes all season long. Ok, he ain't the same Linsanity, but he ain't a washed up bench warmer either. His passing, ball-handling and shooting is another weapon they need... after all, I don't think they play any impressive D aside from Leonard and Ibaka anyway.  :justjen
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: May 22, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »

Or is that a sign of bad coaching? Don't get me wrong, I like Nick Nurse so far, but I am slightly shocked Lin gets virtually no minutes all season long. Ok, he ain't the same Linsanity, but he ain't a washed up bench warmer either. His passing, ball-handling and shooting is another weapon they need... after all, I don't think they play any impressive D aside from Leonard and Ibaka anyway:justjen

Really???  Gasol has been top shelf.  Lowry has been all-star quality defender too.  Green/Siakim are no slouches either.

As for Lin... yeah, he most certainly is a washed up bench warmer.  His offense was bad ... consistently - I think he had like 2 or 3 decent games.  His ability to run the floor wasn't impressive, and his defense was adequate.  He earned his #9 depth spot.