Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78328 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Greek Freak dominating
« Reply #840 on: May 13, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »
Congrats to the Raptors and the Blazers. And as a Wolves fan a special thanks to the Raps for kicking "General Soreness" out. The Bucks-Raptors series is going to be one for the ages. Love playoff basketball. Such crazy talent.

As for the Warriors-Blazers, I expect it to be Warriors in 6. I'm hoping they take the Warriors down, but I doubt that happens, even if Durant doesn't play. The Warriors are just too good. But you never know. Bosk, as for your comment on the Blazers, you called them "terrible." I was responding to that very clear statement by you, which was, until that point, your most recent statement on the team. My response was based solely on that - no more, no less. They aren't "terrible," and that's a very poor choice of words on your part, which you no doubt know, as you felt the need to come back and explain yourself.  :lol

Regardless, the Warriors should handle the Blazers with relative ease. It'll go six games without Durant. With Durant in the mix, maybe it'll be five games. But generally, I see it as Warriors in 6.

The most exciting series is the Eastern Conference Finals. I expect that to go to seven. Really hard to pick a winner. The Bucks SHOULD win. At least on paper. But we'll see. Either way, it'll be nice to see a new team from the East in the Finals.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #841 on: May 13, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »
Congrats to the Raptors

Yes!  I came back in here realizing that I forgot to say that and was coming to post that very thing.  I still have them picked to come out of the East.  And personally, I would love to see them make it to the finals because they've been so close, only to be turned away by LeBron's Cavs.  But either way, we definitely have the two best in the East duking it out for the right to advance. 

Bosk, as for your comment on the Blazers, you called them "terrible." I was responding to that very clear statement by you, which was, until that point, your most recent statement on the team. My response was based solely on that - no more, no less.

No worries.  I know you don't follow every post I've made, especially since I haven't posted about Portland in quite some time, so I wouldn't expect you to have that context.  And besides, I know you're relatively new to the game itself, so I'll give you a pass.  :P
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #842 on: May 13, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
If the Raps don't get more consistent offensively, and/or get some stability out of their bench, this could be over in 4 or 5.  Hopefully OG Anunoby can get back into the lineup, and provide some reliable bench minutes.  But, being cold for 4 weeks, that's gonna be a tall ask of him.

It's a good thing they're playing stingy defence (leading in PPG against), cuz the offense is all over the place.  The starting 5 is averaging over 30 mins a game - and given the age of Green, Gasol and Lowry, that's a lot of minutes to log.  Other than Norm Powell, no one after the top 7 has more than 5 MPG. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: May 13, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
Shee-it.  I just read this is the FIRST Game-7 buzzer beater ever.  EVER!?!?!  Wow, I'm amazed at that.  MJ had a Round 1 / Game 5 buzzer beater back in the 80s, but that was before Round 1 was extended to a best-of-7 format.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: May 13, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
  And besides, I know you're relatively new to the game itself, so I'll give you a pass.  :P

I know you are kidding, since you know I've been a hardcore basketball fan since 1989.  :lol

Shee-it.  I just read this is the FIRST Game-7 buzzer beater ever.  EVER!?!?!  Wow, I'm amazed at that.  MJ had a Round 1 / Game 5 buzzer beater back in the 80s, but that was before Round 1 was extended to a best-of-7 format.

I didn't know that either. Incredible. That shot of Kawhi crouched, hoping for it to go in -- that needs to be blown up and framed by every Raptors fan. Just an iconic moment.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #845 on: May 13, 2019, 06:30:50 PM »
Bosk, I wouldn't be gloating as much if you weren't so stubborn.   :angel: :lol

But now I'm totally going to be visiting this forum ALL. THE. TIME. just to gaze upon your Rip City avatar for the rest of the playoffs. 

No worries.  They won; I'll wear it.  ...but you could have at least resized it and made it avatar size so I didn't have to do it myself.

Still love you my friend, but you brought this on yourself.   :P

Like I said, I don't mind wearing it.  You don't have to offer up fake platitudes.

I'm weird, and verbose....but I'm never fake.  I was giving an honest ribbing as a term of endearment the same way I would to a friend sitting next to me at a card game.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #846 on: May 13, 2019, 07:06:43 PM »

Snow, you still around?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Blazers showing their greatness
« Reply #847 on: May 15, 2019, 07:07:52 AM »
WCF Game 1 went as expected.

The draft however...The news here in NY were making it seem like Knicks were locked to get #1 pick, and in a way I'm glad they didn't. I have a feeling the Lakers are going to try and trade their pick and some role players for a 15PPG player.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #848 on: May 15, 2019, 07:59:06 AM »
What went right last night:  Some of the biggest things for me were:  (1) The Warriors were loose and just looked relaxed and like they were having fun, which has been missing far too often this season and postseason.  (2) EVERYBODY got substantial minutes and made a substantial contribution.  Yeah, Steph and Klay dominated the scoring.  But 13 guys played, and 12 of them scored points.  After the way they started the Houston series, that is huge.  (3) Rebounds.  They DOMINATED the glass, offensively and defensively.  But not sure how much of that may be attributable to Portland just not having their legs after a 7-game slugfest in Denver and short rest.

What did not:  They were perhaps a bit too loose, in a careless sort of way.  They can't continue that.  Once Portland catches their breath and gets their legs back under them, they will make the Warriors pay if the Warriors continue to be that casual with the ball and possessions. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #849 on: May 15, 2019, 08:17:30 AM »
What went right last night:  Some of the biggest things for me were:  (1) The Warriors were loose and just looked relaxed and like they were having fun, which has been missing far too often this season and postseason.  (2) EVERYBODY got substantial minutes and made a substantial contribution.  Yeah, Steph and Klay dominated the scoring.  But 13 guys played, and 12 of them scored points.  After the way they started the Houston series, that is huge.  (3) Rebounds.  They DOMINATED the glass, offensively and defensively.  But not sure how much of that may be attributable to Portland just not having their legs after a 7-game slugfest in Denver and short rest.

What did not:  They were perhaps a bit too loose, in a careless sort of way.  They can't continue that.  Once Portland catches their breath and gets their legs back under them, they will make the Warriors pay if the Warriors continue to be that casual with the ball and possessions.

Agreed. The Blazers seemingly grabbed more offensive rebounds, and got a few more open looks than the Warriors in the first half. Problem for them was those shots just wouldn't fall for them, or else it would have been a much closer game. I expect game 2 will be totally different, and the Blazers would close out on Curry and Klay quicker and harder. Let's see what happen.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Warriors not missing a beat sans KD
« Reply #850 on: May 15, 2019, 08:15:38 PM »
Damn, Raps already have buzzerbeaters in the first and third quarters.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline T-ski

« Reply #851 on: May 15, 2019, 09:07:11 PM »
Bucks shoot 25% from three and still win.

Raps looked gassed at the end.

Fear The Deer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #852 on: May 15, 2019, 09:07:22 PM »
I think it feels more like the Bucks survived game 1 than they beat the Raptors. The Raptors actually played very good D in the first half, and Antetokoumpo simply looked passive at times.

Meanwhile, the Bucks managed to make Leonard to shoot so  ineffectively helps too. I think this series will go the distance, and each game will be tight.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: May 16, 2019, 04:43:58 AM »
Hard to see your team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This was one the Raps could've and should've had. I don't see the Bucks offence getting any worse than it was last night - and they still got 108.

Bucks shoot 25% from three and still win.

Raps looked gassed at the end.

Fear The Deer.

Yup, yup, and yup. Middle point particularly - that's what happens when you've only got a 7 man rotation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #854 on: May 16, 2019, 06:28:37 AM »
I feel bad for anybody who had Toronto and the points (+6) last night. :lol :lol

Chad, the Raptors will bounce back. This should be a long series.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2019, 06:53:40 AM »
The Raps have three 30+ year olds logging 35-ish minutes a night.  I don't see how that's sustainable to get 8 more victories against teams with the depth and quality that the Bucks and Warriors have.  And I don't see the Bucks continuing to throw up the bricks they did last night throughout the series.  0-11 from 3-pt range in the 3rd quarter?  If they drop even 3 or 4 of those, it's a blowout win.

This will be lucky to go 6.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #856 on: May 16, 2019, 07:06:44 AM »
In general I am just a little surprised it was Lowry of all Raptors' players, who even made FGs in the 4th qtr last night.  :facepalm:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #857 on: May 16, 2019, 07:30:05 AM »
So Lamar Odom admits to having sex with 2,000 women.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836425-lamar-odom-says-hes-a-sex-addict-been-with-over-2000-women-in-new-book

In related news, Wilt Chamberlain and Gene Simmons issued a joint statement: "Amateur."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: May 16, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
The Raps are at an interesting point. With a seven-man rotation, they are not going to beat the Bucks. They need to get younger and deeper. To be frank, I think this is Lowry's last hurrah with them. I think regardless of what Leonard does in the off-season, the Raps will ship off Lowry for some younger depth. But it was nice to see Lowry explode last night. Guy has stones for sure. Dude is never afraid to take a shot. I admire that in a player.

Bucks in 6.

Warriors in 5. (Although I'm rooting for Rip City to prove me wrong and win.)

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:20 AM »
The *only* hope the Raps have of keeping Leonard is to win the championship and commit to build around him.  And even then, I think it's 50/50 at best.  And if/when he goes, buh-bye contending team.  Lowry and Gasol are WAY past their prime; Green is a good player, but not a talent to build around.  After that, Siakim is their next stud.  After that... Van Fleet and a bunch of guys that spent most of their year in the G-League.  They'll be fighting just to make the playoffs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: May 16, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
The *only* hope the Raps have of keeping Leonard is to win the championship and commit to build around him.  And even then, I think it's 50/50 at best.  And if/when he goes, buh-bye contending team.  Lowry and Gasol are WAY past their prime; Green is a good player, but not a talent to build around.  After that, Siakim is their next stud.  After that... Van Fleet and a bunch of guys that spent most of their year in the G-League.  They'll be fighting just to make the playoffs.

I wonder if they'd be open (if Leonard leaves), of doing something like Lowry/Siakim for Wiggins/Teague. They'd have the cap room if Leonard was gone. You'd get a slightly younger PG, and an under-performing, but still a ton of potential native Canadian wing. Be good for both teams, as the Wolves need a PF like Siakim, and Lowry would be a good veteran presence for Tyus Jones (assuming the Wolves resign him). Wiggins going home to Toronto may spark something.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: May 16, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
I wouldn't count out the Raptors just yet. This was an away game, coming from a 7 game series, they were not supposed to win that game in the first place.

I still see the raptors winning this series, but I would not be surprised if the Bucks make it to the Finals.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #862 on: May 17, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
10 down, 6 to go...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #863 on: May 18, 2019, 07:23:32 AM »
another game, another 20+ point win.

Fear The Deer.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Giannis beasting
« Reply #864 on: May 18, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
Two simple words.

Told.
Ya.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #865 on: May 18, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
I thought the Raptors had terrible game plan for game 2. Why wouldn't they set up Kawhi early at all? He barely touched the ball or gotten any touches most of the 1st qtr. Marc Gasol was absolutely horrible by going 1 for 9... and a few of those misses were mid-range open jumpers.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: May 18, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
I knew when it happened that the Gasol for JV/Miles/Wright deal was a terrible one.  What the Raptors gained in a defensive improvement they lost in offense and bench depth.  Miles/Wright were never gonna be 6th-man of the year contenders, but they weren't liabilities like the 5 bench players they have now whose only meaningful minutes this playoff have come during a blowout game.

And Gasol is a fucking whiner too - moreso than Lowry.  Virtually every foul he gets prompts a reaction ranging from confused / 'you-gotta-be-kidding-me' / anger / 'this-is-bullshit'.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #867 on: May 18, 2019, 09:40:32 PM »
Congrats to GSW.   

I still say that Portland was underrated all year long.   But obviously, most of us knew that GSW was virtually unstoppable.   

It reminds me a little bit of when Seattle had such a fantastic team with Kemp and Payton...and had the misfortune to exist during the Jordan-era Bulls.     No one was ever going to beat that team.     Same with GSW.    Although I hope the Bucks at least make it interesting.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #868 on: May 18, 2019, 09:43:41 PM »
Man, game 3 feels like the Dubs let you get a huge lead on purpose and say, this is all you've got?! And then ask someone to hold his beer and then went on to beat you with just one hand  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #869 on: May 19, 2019, 01:06:07 AM »
Warriors are scary (obviously). If they win the title this year, they'll be the first team since the Auerbach Celtics to win 4 out of 5 titles. Not even the Bulls did that. Obviously they could've had MJ not had a gambling issue but, regardless, it's crazy to see a team doing anything that the 90s Bulls didn't and it's an entertaining coincidence that Steve Kerr was involved in both (though only an idiot wouldn't give Mark Jackson at least a little credit). Lastly, the George Mikan Lakers also did the 4 outta 5 titles thing by winning 5 in a 6 year span from 1949-54.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #870 on: May 19, 2019, 05:25:22 AM »
Man, game 3 feels like the Dubs let you get a huge lead on purpose and say, this is all you've got?! And then ask someone to hold his beer and then went on to beat you with just one hand  :lol

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #871 on: May 19, 2019, 06:38:20 AM »
Warriors are scary (obviously). If they win the title this year, they'll be the first team since the Auerbach Celtics to win 4 out of 5 titles. Not even the Bulls did that. Obviously they could've had MJ not had a gambling issue but, regardless, it's crazy to see a team doing anything that the 90s Bulls didn't and it's an entertaining coincidence that Steve Kerr was involved in both (though only an idiot wouldn't give Mark Jackson at least a little credit). Lastly, the George Mikan Lakers also did the 4 outta 5 titles thing by winning 5 in a 6 year span from 1949-54.

What's even funnier is that this 4-game winning streak demonstrates again that Kevin Durant is a luxury, not a necessity, and takes even more of the shine off of his 2 rings.  Yeah, yeah, he was the finals MVP both times, but I give mad props to the Splash Brothers who put ego aside and allowed Durant to be the man at times the last few years, but as we are seeing right now, without Durant, Curry and Thompson are still the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #872 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
Sure, the Dino won game 3 in 2OT, but it still doesn't feel like they can come back and win this series. After all they barely won game 3 even with Antetokoumpo fouled out 🤷🏻‍♂
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline T-ski

« Reply #873 on: May 19, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »
Sure, the Dino won game 3 in 2OT, but it still doesn't feel like they can come back and win this series. After all they barely won game 3 even with Antetokoumpo fouled out 🤷🏻‍♂

Bucks three best players played their worst offense game of the season collectively and it still went 2OT.

I don’t see that happening again.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: May 20, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »
When Giannis adds a 3 pt shot and improves his free-throw shooting, that man will be unstoppable. What I appreciated about his play last night, was while he was shut down offensively, he had 24 rebounds. TWENTY-FOUR. And chipped in with seven assists. Sure, the result is what it is. But unlike other players who disappear, Giannis kept fighting and was still a force for the team. I don't expect the Raptors to win another game.

www.roadstomadness.com