Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78349 times)

Offline Azyiu

Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Carmelo preparing to make another team worse
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
Yup. Celts playing the Sixers

That should be a good game! Looking forward to that one too.

I am guessing one of the remaining 2 games have to be between the Rockets vs either OKC or the Pelicans
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2018, 08:33:03 PM »
Bucks at Knicks
Blazers at Jazz

according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
Bucks at Knicks
Blazers at Jazz

according to Marc Stein at ESPN.

Why not Raptors @ Spurs?  :huh:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2018, 01:58:53 AM »
Alex, you paying attention to the NBA way over there?

Like crazy, League Pass and all.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2018, 02:05:44 AM »
Like crazy, League Pass and all.

League Pass subscriber here too... but I must say their services can be hit or miss sometimes, especially if you use AppleTV. Some games they never encoded the whole thing, and you get as little as 20 seconds of video! It is a good thing I have AppleTV, as well as iPad and PC... strangely the same game would be fine on other platforms.

Another thing I am not happy about is their so-called video archive. They never updated it and they are still showing the same thing from 2 years ago when I first started subscriping. I actually told them about it no less than 3-4 times, but I don't see them making any effort to fix these problems.  >:(

The NFL Game Pass is doing a MUCH MUCH MUCH better job!!  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2018, 02:17:24 AM »
No problems on the iPad, and it (along with DTF) really keeps me "sane" riding the night bus.

I tend to prefer the regular satellite Sky broadcasts when at home, but time zones are a brutal business.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
No problems on the iPad, and it (along with DTF) really keeps me "sane" riding the night bus.

I tend to prefer the regular satellite Sky broadcasts when at home, but time zones are a brutal business.

I never have any trouble with iPad or PC, it is always with the AppleTV. Per what I was told by the call center people, each platform has its own decoding team and server. Guess their AppleTV team / server sucks...  :yeahright
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2018, 09:38:55 AM »
League Pass sucked for us.

We tried it for the first time last year. We run everything through PS4, or through apps on our TV. Direct connection from cable modem to TV. The LAG was SO horrific. We upgraded to the highest speeds and everything, and it still sucked. We got a refund, and now just deal with it. It sucks because we were all hyped up to watch as many T-Wolves games as possible, and we couldn't.

I hesitate to ever try it again.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »

We tried it for the first time last year. We run everything through PS4, or through apps on our TV. Direct connection from cable modem to TV. The LAG was SO horrific. We upgraded to the highest speeds and everything, and it still sucked. We got a refund, and now just deal with it. It sucks because we were all hyped up to watch as many T-Wolves games as possible, and we couldn't.

Sorry to break it to you, bro... but both the PS4 or app on TV are the LEAST reliable way to watch games. I've done a ton of testing (NBA should pay me for UAT) on both, and they both suck! Luckily I have AppleTV, as well as a PC and couple iPads. I have nearly zero trouble watching games via them. If you have an iPad or AppleTV, go with them and you will be ok.  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »

Sorry to break it to you, bro... but both the PS4 or app on TV are the LEAST reliable way to watch games. I've done a ton of testing (NBA should pay me for UAT) on both, and they both suck! Luckily I have AppleTV, as well as a PC and couple iPads. I have nearly zero trouble watching games via them. If you have an iPad or AppleTV, go with them and you will be ok.  :tup

Bummer. We have an iPad, but the point for us is to watch it in our living room on our main TV. Watching it on an iPad screen, or a computer screen is pointless for us.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »

Bummer. We have an iPad, but the point for us is to watch it in our living room on our main TV. Watching it on an iPad screen, or a computer screen is pointless for us.

Get a Roku - even the smallest ones, like the streaming sticks, have a quad core processor.  We use streaming TV through our Roku sticks all the time and very rarely have any buffering issues.  If we do, it's usually our signal and we just reset the router a few times and it gets better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »
I'm going to throw out an interesting observation and a question to see what you guys think.  It involves two different categories of "championship teams."  Specifically, there are a couple of characteristics of dynastic teams that I find interesting.

On one hand, you have the type of team that is clearly a well-built and exceptional team that will win through the years, but has to fight and scratch and claw year in and year out.  In a given season, when things start to align, they might be guilty of taking their talent for granted.  But by and large, they don't simply "assume" that they will be champions.  They fight for it.  Some years they make it.  Some years they don't.  A couple of teams that fit this mold are the Duncan-era Spurs and the Kobe/Shaq Lakers. 

On the other hand, you have teams that are flat-out dominant, so much so that they, their fans, and the league expect them to be in the mix for the championship every single year.  The consequence is that, during the regular season, a team like this can lack focus and look bored, biding their time for the playoffs.  The regular season just feels like a "dress rehearsal."  They know they can beat anybody, and so they sometimes lack the focus to actually do it.  The Warriors and Jordan-era Bulls fit this mold.

Obviously, there aren't "black-and-white" delineations of when a team is one or the other.  And there are other "types" of teams as well.  I'm simply making the observation.  So my question is: which type do you think makes a "better" team?  "Better" can be any criteria you like, but I'm interested in thoughts on this, whatever they may be.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »
I think you lumping the Jordan era Bulls into the latter group is a mistake. They fought every year. They never went through the motions. They were just really good, and worked really hard. Anyone on those Bulls teams would likely tell you that Jordan and Pippen MADE them work 10x harder than anyone else in the regular season.

What you have now is a Warriors team who sort of set the trend in the modern era of the way they play. They dominated, then added more, and are dominating again, and I suspect with a healthy Cousins, they will continue to dominate. But they are the only "put the team on auto pilot for the regular season" team I recall in recent memory. And that, more than anything else, is why I appreciate their talent, but don't like them. They don't play hard until the playoffs. And that will eventually bite them in the ass.

So while "better" is a relative term, I prefer watching teams in the former category, who you can tell are working hard at their craft. Not to say that the Warriors don't, but clearly, they are more concerned with doing the bare minimum to win and conserve for the playoffs (which I totally get). But it makes them...not fun to watch in the regular season, except in big matchups.

As an NBA junkie, I'm the guy that would tune into the Warriors playing the Hawks if that was on. Because the Hawks are gonna fight. But the Warriors almost (not intentionally) disrespect by pretty much not bothering to play hard because they don't have to. And its just lame to watch that.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
I would put the Shaq/Kobe Lakers in group two, as they were the ultimate playoff button switchers.

The Bulls are tricky. They won their fist ring as scrappers, with an actual "eternal loser" label on a lot of people forgets now. Second and third rings came as dominat force, but they never really slacked, MJ wouldn't allow it. The second threepeat was fascinating. Three years of total dominance, but with a scrapper attitude as they killed themselves even for the most inane regular season away games and repeatedly won the playoffs running on fumes.

The Warriors - which are close to become the best NBA dinasty I've ever witnessed - remind me of the Bird's teams I loved as a kid. They were so good and enamored of their game that they sometimes forgot to compete. One regret I have as spectator is the lack of an adversary on par with Magic's Lakers in this analogy.

As for the question, I love the "no one believed in us" teams category, like Brown's Pistons, Rudy T's Rockets, or Carlisle's Mavs. Probably - not being American and not rooting for any specific franchise - I'm partial to surprises and underdogs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
For the record, I think both categories are tricky.  And I think putting any team squarely into one category or the other is tricky.  Some of the arguments above are well taken.  But, again, none of this is meant to be iron-clad.  It's just to spark discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:25 AM »
You have been reported for mentioning Sparks inside a NBA thread

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
I think I'm with Samsara in this one. I don't think you can put any other team in the same category as the Warriors, except maybe the Celtics that won 11 Championships, because no other team has put as much talent together as they have. Indiscipline mentions the Kobe/Shaq Lakers and even that team had to fight hard to get through because they didn't have as much firepower. What I would say comes closest is Lebrons Miami, they had a tremendous amount of talent as well as many great roleplayers but they failed to translate that into championships. They should have won against Dallas, I can't hold it to the that they lost against the Spurs because that team played the best basketball I have seen.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
I think it is worth noting that, generally speaking, the league is putting less and less emphasis on the regular season these days. It's not just the Warriors who looked bored last year. There are always a few players or a few teams who basically punt until the playoffs. Back in the day, you played all 82 games unless you were injured. There was no such thing as "DNP - Old". :lol

With that said, I always favor larger samples of dominance versus smaller samples. Even if the Warriors are starting to rest on their laurels a bit, if you can win four championships in five seasons, that's pretty darn impressive.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2018, 07:55:23 PM »
I think it is worth noting that, generally speaking, the league is putting less and less emphasis on the regular season these days. It's not just the Warriors who looked bored last year. There are always a few players or a few teams who basically punt until the playoffs. Back in the day, you played all 82 games unless you were injured. There was no such thing as "DNP - Old". :lol

Pop invented that, and all other teams made it a regular practice.  :lol

With that said, I always favor larger samples of dominance versus smaller samples. Even if the Warriors are starting to rest on their laurels a bit, if you can win four championships in five seasons, that's pretty darn impressive.

Agreed

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »

I think one thing that is not mentioned enough about players resting is that nowadays the sport has gotten a lot more physical, not in terms of how much guys hit each other, we all know the 80s and 90s were closer to boxing matches than today's whistle happy games, but in terms of how much the body limits are being strained. And I think it shows in the amount and seriousness of injuries compared to the past. That's to me the one think that puts Lebron ahead of everyone else, his physique is really superhuman. He can play 46 minutes a game playing the 82 games, plus the playoffs and still not lose firepower. This is not a phenomenon of basketball alone either, I see it happening a lot in soccer as well.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2018, 07:52:10 AM »
Interesting. On the other hand players nowadays eat, rest, recover and travel way more efficently on the same 82 games schedule. Furthermore, rosters have doubled up in size and no one really comes in the league with 3/4 taxing college years on the odometer anymore.

Your points are valid (spot on regarding LeBron), but I suspect a lot of this DNP habit may also come from nowadays players (incomparably more conscious and enpowered than, say, 20 years ago) studying history and noticing how playing on injuries have destroyed excellent careers.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
We are in the middle of the annual basketball "dark period", where we are still like 2 months away from the start of season... anyway, I got bored and put together footage and photos I shot at the Lakers game I attended in Feb., and made a video out of them. Check it out, enjoy, like and subscribe.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

https://youtu.be/VTPDN_pclr8
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
Interesting. On the other hand players nowadays eat, rest, recover and travel way more efficently on the same 82 games schedule. Furthermore, rosters have doubled up in size and no one really comes in the league with 3/4 taxing college years on the odometer anymore.

Your points are valid (spot on regarding LeBron), but I suspect a lot of this DNP habit may also come from nowadays players (incomparably more conscious and enpowered than, say, 20 years ago) studying history and noticing how playing on injuries have destroyed excellent careers.

Agreed.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »

I think one thing that is not mentioned enough about players resting is that nowadays the sport has gotten a lot more physical, not in terms of how much guys hit each other, we all know the 80s and 90s were closer to boxing matches than today's whistle happy games, but in terms of how much the body limits are being strained. And I think it shows in the amount and seriousness of injuries compared to the past. That's to me the one think that puts Lebron ahead of everyone else, his physique is really superhuman. He can play 46 minutes a game playing the 82 games, plus the playoffs and still not lose firepower. This is not a phenomenon of basketball alone either, I see it happening a lot in soccer as well.

The way that players are required to cut and sprint these days is pretty frightening. Like you said, basketball was way more physical in the 90s, but you didn't have to run to the three-point line. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I do think today's game lends itself to injuries more.

I think I'm with Samsara in this one. I don't think you can put any other team in the same category as the Warriors, except maybe the Celtics that won 11 Championships, because no other team has put as much talent together as they have. Indiscipline mentions the Kobe/Shaq Lakers and even that team had to fight hard to get through because they didn't have as much firepower. What I would say comes closest is Lebrons Miami, they had a tremendous amount of talent as well as many great roleplayers but they failed to translate that into championships. They should have won against Dallas, I can't hold it to the that they lost against the Spurs because that team played the best basketball I have seen.

In my opinion, even the Heat were unimpressive compared to the Warriors. If memory serves, 2013 Miami had two All-NBA producers in James and Wade, one additional All-Star in Bosh, one All-Defense representative, and a handful of excellent role players in Chalmers, Allen, Battier, and Anderson. By contrast, 2017 Golden State had three All-NBA guys in Curry, Durant, and Green, along with the Defensive Player of the Year in Green, an additional All-Star in Klay, and probably the second-best defensive wing in the league with Andre. The Heat were probably deeper but the Warriors best five was the most loaded top five ever.

Miami should have won in 2011, although I don't think it was as foregone a conclusion as we remember it. The Heat only had four or five above average players and weren't playing small ball yet. Also, Dallas was a much better team in the playoffs than the regular season. Miami was like the second or third team that they upset en route to the championship.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
In my opinion, even the Heat were unimpressive compared to the Warriors. If memory serves, 2013 Miami had two All-NBA producers in James and Wade, one additional All-Star in Bosh, one All-Defense representative, and a handful of excellent role players in Chalmers, Allen, Battier, and Anderson. By contrast, 2017 Golden State had three All-NBA guys in Curry, Durant, and Green, along with the Defensive Player of the Year in Green, an additional All-Star in Klay, and probably the second-best defensive wing in the league with Andre. The Heat were probably deeper but the Warriors best five was the most loaded top five ever.

The version of the team before Durant came over was incredibly impressive as well, with Barnes and Bogut being in the starting lineup.  The problem with Barnes was that, despite him having the ability to be a terror, he was incredibly streaky.  But when he was one, he was a great addition.  Bogut's problem was simply his propensity to get injured. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
I just did some google search into Dallas roster in 2011 and I agree they had a way better roster than I remembered. Good leaders in Dirk and Kidd, great defenders in Marion and Chandler, good shooter in Peja and Terry, Caron Butler was a good all-around player. I should have remembered this better, I was in Chicago at the time and watched all the games.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2018, 01:45:13 PM »
I just did some google search into Dallas roster in 2011 and I agree they had a way better roster than I remembered. Good leaders in Dirk and Kidd, great defenders in Marion and Chandler, good shooter in Peja and Terry, Caron Butler was a good all-around player. I should have remembered this better, I was in Chicago at the time and watched all the games.

Yeah, Dallas had a hell of a team with two Hall of Famers and some really outstanding, talented players who were stars at one point, but were content in playing roles. I was happy for Kidd and Dirk that they got a ring.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »
It is a sad day today. Manu Ginobili announced his retirement from Basketball.  :'(

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »
Congrats to Manu for an incredible career. I have nothing but respect for that guy... even though he is such a flopper, lol! He will be missed.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »
Huge flopper. But dude competed hard. Should probably have retired four years ago, but as an NBA fan, loved to watch him play (aside from the flops).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
In my opinion, the best FIBA area player ever.

I had the privilege to watch him perform live every other Saturday for a couple of years before he left for the NBA, and he already played chess at the speed of sound.

An incredible basketball mind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2018, 02:57:55 PM »
Indiscipline, you just think he's handsome, don'tcha?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2018, 02:59:07 PM »
You don't?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »
Well

um

sure..