Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78345 times)

Offline Azyiu

Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Kawhi learns the words to "O Canada"
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2018, 07:41:13 AM »
Carried them to what?  They had one season in Denver where he played 16 games in the playoffs.  All other seasons it was 4 or 5 games and done.  That's not carrying a team.

Carrying them to the playoffs and managed to win 50 or more games for a few seasons in a very competitive western conference. Look, he played with a much older AI, washed up Nene, Chris Anderson, K-Mart and the like... I mean, JR Smith was even on a few of his Nuggets teams... sure, except for 2009 his team never gone far, but so was KG's team until 2004. The west was just tough, and one guy can't do it all. All in all, I am not even a Melo fan, but I thought he deserves more praise than you give him credit for, that's all.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »
I think he's lost that praise over the second half of his career.  I may be wrong but I think most feel that way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
Looks like Toronto's GM non-apology apologized to DeRozan and his fam.  :lol

"Hey, I'm sorry if what I said was misunderstood."

SMH. I get it, it is a business, but c'mon now.

Anyway, fingers crossed Wiggins learns how to be aggressive with Butler on the court, and the stuff about Butler not getting along with Towns and Wiggs is just summer BS. If Butler walks, its not the end of the world, but I'd be pretty P.O.'d.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2018, 01:49:33 PM »
Well, that's what happens when you speak Canadian to an American.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »
Melo may have had a mediocre second half of his NBA career, but his Olympics career is amazing. He is the only US basketball player other than David Robinson with at least three or more Olympic appearances and medals....3 Gold, 1 Bronze. He's the top US Olympics scorer of all time with 336pts, and also ranks 1st in games played, 3's made, field goals made and attempted, and free throws made. He could quite possibly be the best US Olympic Basketball player of all time. He will be in the Hall of Fame, specifically for his Olympic career.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »
Eh, the Americans were a given to win the Olympics every year, and I am not giving Anthony any credit for that since any other star could have done the same thing had they gone as many times as he did.  Then again, most of those other stars were making deep playoff runs with their NBA teams, while Anthony couldn't even get to the playoffs most of his years in NY despite playing in the pitiful East.  Nice job leading there, Carmelo. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2018, 05:42:04 PM »
Yes, thank you. Hasn't he actually had a negative effect on the last two NBA teams he's played on?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2018, 05:36:22 AM »
I just saw Roy Hibbert retired? I know the guy isn’t a Hall of fame but this flew under the radar.

I still think that Indiana team from 2011-2014 could have won a championship if they would’ve beaten the Heat. Then again, who knows.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2018, 05:51:18 AM »
I just saw Roy Hibbert retired? I know the guy isn’t a Hall of fame but this flew under the radar.

I still think that Indiana team from 2011-2014 could have won a championship if they would’ve beaten the Heat. Then again, who knows.

He had 2 maybe 3 really good seasons but then the NBA evolved and he was left out as many of the old school centers. I also believe those Pacers were pretty good but unfortunately for them LeBron James happened.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »

Never the most mobile player to begin with, also in the current NBA you can't really play center anymore if you can't defend the three or follow your man outside, no matter your vertical, wingspan, or the huge space you occupy in the lane.

A JaVale McGee, openly mocked by all and sundry, is probably more valuable nowadays.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
In no way was I saying he has any value now days. I just feel no one mention it, not even ESPN(at least I didn’t see anything). I guess since he didn’t play last season and played only 6 games on 16-17 it’s why it wasn’t mentioned.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
I know, I know, man. Was just rationalising why he disappeared from the radar.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »
Something I was thinking about the last several days...

Could Toronto have flipped DeMar for Kawhi...only to ship him out at the deadline? Hear me out. DeMar was signed to a contract with a few more years left, right? They swept out Casey, looks like a semi-rebuild is imminent. So they get rid of DeMar's contract, take on Kawhi. They can trade Kawhi at the deadline for some young pieces or picks (particularly if he plays well) -- a bigger treasure trove than they could have gotten for DeRozen. So not only did Toronto save money by getting rid of DeRozen, they'll save more money by trading Kawhi at the deadline, and get more in return for him to help with the rebuild.

Sure, they still have Lowry on that ridiculous deal. BUT, Lowry has two more years at 31 (for 2018-2019) and 33 million (2019-2020), respectively. Kyle plays this year, and then the Raptors trade him this offseason for more assets. Not only do they get out of that bad contract (someone will take Lowry), but they'll theoretically be able to net picks and young players for both Kawhi and Lowry, and be in a better position for the future.

Thinking about it that way, I think they made a smart move, they've decided they can't truly win, and want to rebuild for the 2020-2021 season and beyond. Makes a lot of sense.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
Interesting, and it makes sense indeed.

Question is, which team is going to pull the trigger on such a trade risking a Boogie in NOLA half season rental?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
Something I was thinking about the last several days...

Could Toronto have flipped DeMar for Kawhi...only to ship him out at the deadline? Hear me out. DeMar was signed to a contract with a few more years left, right? They swept out Casey, looks like a semi-rebuild is imminent. So they get rid of DeMar's contract, take on Kawhi. They can trade Kawhi at the deadline for some young pieces or picks (particularly if he plays well) -- a bigger treasure trove than they could have gotten for DeRozen. So not only did Toronto save money by getting rid of DeRozen, they'll save more money by trading Kawhi at the deadline, and get more in return for him to help with the rebuild.

Yeah, this has been mentioned around here. A true rebuild. Personally, I think the Raptors panicked. Fire the coach. Trade the best player. They would've been in the finals for the last two years had it not been for Lebron.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2018, 04:10:08 PM »
I thought this was a great article (from last week) on the matter:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/9-reasons-raptors-fans-stop-freaking-kawhi-leonard/

One of which is the exact thing just mentioned.  Key word ... "Could" trade Leonard.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »
Milan Lucic :clap:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nhl-star-unloads-on-derozan-for-way-he-handled-trade/ar-BBL9mcq?li=BBnba9I

Says the guy who has a big-fat-juicy contract that he pretty much doesn't deserve, and is an anchor at his team's chance to truly improve themselves.  But yeah, give him a :clap:  He has to live in Edmonton in the winter.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2018, 09:29:56 PM »
My issue is that when a good player leaves a team, no loyalty; when a team trades a player, it’s business. He seemed like someone who actually wanted to play in the north. I doubt kwahi will be there at the beginning of next season.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2018, 06:30:41 PM »
My issue is that when a good player leaves a team, no loyalty; when a team trades a player, it’s business. He seemed like someone who actually wanted to play in the north. I doubt kwahi will be there at the beginning of next season.

Exactly. This is why I almost never have a beef when players hold out in the NFL, for example.  Teams have no problem trading or cutting you if it is in their best interest, and I am not sure how we can fault players for doing what it is in their best interest.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2018, 06:46:59 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nhl-star-unloads-on-derozan-for-way-he-handled-trade/ar-BBL9mcq?li=BBnba9I

Says the guy who has a big-fat-juicy contract that he pretty much doesn't deserve, and is an anchor at his team's chance to truly improve themselves.  But yeah, give him a :clap:  He has to live in Edmonton in the winter.   :lol

You just hate his Bruins blood.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »

You just hate his Bruins blood.

There's that too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Carmelo preparing to make another team worse
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »
We can all agree for our hate of Montreal more.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Bro hugs for everyone.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »
Joe, whose the other dude in the Bruins shirt?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2018, 07:57:30 PM »
My younger brother!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
My younger brother!

THAT GUY is your brother??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
Yup.  We look like the #10 next to each other.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2018, 05:05:15 AM »
We can all agree for our hate of Montreal more.  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
So I just saw an article on ESPN about new All-Stars for this season and it got me wondering.

Assuming they keep the same format, Who’s gonna be the East Captain for the all star game? Giannis? Irving? Kwahi? And is it gonna be as “dramatic” as having LBJ Vs Curry? Would be interesting to have LeBron Vs Irving, but I’m not sure LBJ as Captain is guarantee.

I don’t know, just my thoughts.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »
It will never happen, but it should be Al Focking Horford.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »
Alex, you paying attention to the NBA way over there?

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
So I just saw an article on ESPN about new All-Stars for this season and it got me wondering.

Assuming they keep the same format, Who’s gonna be the East Captain for the all star game? Giannis? Irving? Kwahi? And is it gonna be as “dramatic” as having LBJ Vs Curry? Would be interesting to have LeBron Vs Irving, but I’m not sure LBJ as Captain is guarantee.

I don’t know, just my thoughts.

It should be called Team Irving... the league loves storylines, and which one will be more fun than Team LeBron vs Team Irving?

Oh, partial Christmas schedule is out, and my Lakers will play the Warriors, nice!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »
Yup. Celts playing the Sixers