Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78356 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. LeBron goes west
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Tony Parker to Charlotte....I don't know what to say...I don't know if this is because of the Kawhi drama or because Dejounte Murray is our starting PG...

He's is on the Mt. Rushmore of the Spurs organization. Parker was a tremendous part of the Spurs success the past 20 years. Came into the league when he was 19, and quickly became one of the best point guards in the league. His tear drop was legendary. One of the best foreign players to play the game. He may end his career as a Hornet, but his jersey will hang in the rafters in San Antonio.
I'm sad for the SA fan base.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2018, 05:37:57 AM »
Tony Parker to Charlotte....I don't know what to say...I don't know if this is because of the Kawhi drama or because Dejounte Murray is our starting PG...

He's is on the Mt. Rushmore of the Spurs organization. Parker was a tremendous part of the Spurs success the past 20 years. Came into the league when he was 19, and quickly became one of the best point guards in the league. His tear drop was legendary. One of the best foreign players to play the game. He may end his career as a Hornet, but his jersey will hang in the rafters in San Antonio.
I'm sad for the SA fan base.

No doubt. It's just like if Karl Malone would have gone to the (hated/stinking) Lakers or something for his last year! Oh, wait.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2018, 06:25:50 AM »
I’ve never been a huge fan of SA, but I started really disliking the team when I saw Duncan laughing at Howard during a 2013 playoff game.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2018, 06:38:13 AM »
I don't know how you could hate Duncan.  The man is a class act.  On the court, man talk smack all the time and if there is one guy to mock it's Howard.  The man is soft with all the potential in the world wasted.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »
I don't know how you could hate Duncan.  The man is a class act.  On the court, man talk smack all the time and if there is one guy to mock it's Howard.  The man is soft with all the potential in the world wasted.

Yeah I'm with you there. Don't get that take at all.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2018, 04:05:25 PM »
I know he’s loved by many and one of the greatest PF of all time, I respect his game and SA as an organization. But i don’t know why, just don’t like the team.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »
I think it's like me and the Yankees.  I hate them but I've always admired Joe Torre & Derek Jeter.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »

I am with you there x 2  :lol

As a Lakers fan, we have had a ton of playoffs battles against the Spurs over the years. And I have to say, I've come to respect Pop and their management a lot!  :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »
I'm really curious to see what the Wolves do. As expected, Butler turned down his extension (which makes total sense). But the rumblings about him not wanting to potentially play with Towns and Wiggins...could be trouble. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. Frankly, I wouldn't want the Wolves to start the season with Butler on the roster if they were pretty sure he'd be bolting. I could see him and Kyrie going to the Knicks (which again, as the Knicks are my hometown team and #2 rooting interest, wouldn't be so bad) to play with KP and Knox. That would be crazy.

But for the Wolves, I think they may need to think about seeing who they can shake loose for Butler NOW, considering Towns and Wiggins are that team's future. I love Butler, but there were rumors he became a bit of a PITA in Chicago, and that he brought that attitude into Minnesota. Great player, hustles, and gives 100 percent. But if he can't get along with the team's cornerstones, he needs to go, as much as I like him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2018, 03:21:37 AM »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2018, 05:22:34 AM »
I just saw that SA and Raptors are finalizing the deal, not sure what to think. Kwahi asked for sunny LA and got wintery Canada.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2018, 05:38:02 AM »
I can understand why the Raptors decided to do it. They have this same team for 4 years, and all 4 years they failed in the playoffs. Even without LBJ in the east, there is gaurantee this year will be any different... so they take a gamble, I think. A huge gamble I must add. New coach, a star player in the final year of his deal in a new city. We will see what happen.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2018, 06:03:24 AM »
Who the hell is running the Raptors? First they fire their coach, now they may trade their super loyal all star for someone who in all likelihood is a one year rental?

Raptors are about to crash and burn big time. Feel bad for the fans.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2018, 06:11:11 AM »
As a Raptors fan, this is a "heart versus head" situation for me. My heart doesn't want it to happen because Demar is the most loyal Raptor of all-time. My head is fine with it because the Raptors need to do something. I feel spoiled when I say this, but winning 50 games every year only to lose in the second round of the playoffs is getting old. Kawhi gives us a legitimate Finals chance, even if it's only for one year.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Kawhi learning the words to "O Canada"
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2018, 06:24:49 AM »
Word on the street is that Leonard doesn't want to play in Toronto, so this is a major gamble by the Raptors.

Or will they turn around and trade him to LA?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Kawhi learning the words to "O Canada"
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:10 AM »
Word on the street is that Leonard doesn't want to play in Toronto, so this is a major gamble by the Raptors.

Or will they turn around and trade him to LA?

For who ... that would give them an immediate return (ie, within 2 years)?

On paper, Leonard can be more of a difference maker than DDR.  But he could also be a cancer.  This is indeed a gamble - but I'm with TOX... doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the age old definition of insanity.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2018, 09:01:29 AM »
And bravo to the Spurs for making the absolute best of a bad situation. They got a great return for Leonard all things considered. Truly a great organization.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
And bravo to the Spurs for making the absolute best of a bad situation. They got a great return for Leonard all things considered. Truly a great organization.

Speaking of "cancer"...I have no idea how any could call an organization that would have Tim Duncan as part of it "truly great."   :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn  I mean, maybe they are "great" for finally moving on from that piece of trash.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
Popovich is the devil. Dissatisfied star dreams California and he sends him to Winterfell.

I'm afraid the Raptors are either renting or risking to go through the Vince Carter experience all over again.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
This is example A, B, and C of why players should just do what's best for them. Teams view their players as assets and will trade them without hesitation, no matter who they are. If the Raptors actually told Demar that he wouldn't be traded, only to then trade him... Damn. That's cold. I feel for the guy.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »
the Raptors just rid themselves of a non-efficient chucker with a bad contract who really didn't move the needle.  Moving Poeltl and the 1st shouldn't affect them to much.  If Kawhi plays its a big win.

don't understand the Spurs side of it.  If thats the best deal they could get they didn't try hard enough.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2018, 01:22:12 PM »
As a Raptors fan, this is a "heart versus head" situation for me. My heart doesn't want it to happen because Demar is the most loyal Raptor of all-time. My head is fine with it because the Raptors need to do something. I feel spoiled when I say this, but winning 50 games every year only to lose in the second round of the playoffs is getting old. Kawhi gives us a legitimate Finals chance, even if it's only for one year.

They did need to do SOMETHING. But this isn't it. Kawhi is going to either sit out the year, or simply walk. No amount of charisma from your GM, or the fan base, is going to convince him to stay. This was a very bad move by your GM (I can't spell his last name off the top of my head), and I'm shocked he went this route. DeRozan is one of my favorite players in the league, and as noted by all, extremely loyal, and works hard. The least they could have done, the very least, was told him the truth about their desire to trade him. But instead, at least according to reports, they lied to him, and then dumped him like trash.

That shit's wrong. Business is business, but you can conduct it with class. Toronto's leadership obviously didn't get the memo. I hope DeRozan tears up the Raptors next season big time, and he will, and he'll stay classy while doing it.

As for Kawhi, dude is hard to read. He's quiet, but his quiet nature is now making him look like a primadonna. No one really knows, outside of his friends and teammates, what kind of a dude he really is. All I know is, looking from the outside, he looks like an absolute ass clown. A spoiled came from nothing, but now is a superstar. And that may be totally off base, and I really hope it is, but that's what he looks like.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he does indeed show up at Team USA, do his workouts, show he is healthy, and then sit out the year and incur the fines (which would entail his entire 20.1 million salary), and then sign with the Lakers for the max (and a full year off) next off season. But man, dude just looks like a douche right now, and if it's not him, and he's listening to people, it is time to get those people out of his life.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
the Raptors just rid themselves of a non-efficient chucker with a bad contract who really didn't move the needle.  Moving Poeltl and the 1st shouldn't affect them to much.  If Kawhi plays its a big win.

don't understand the Spurs side of it.  If thats the best deal they could get they didn't try hard enough.

Disagree. DeRozen is much more than that, who has two years left on his deal. Gives the Spurs a top scorer to compliment Aldridge, and the ability to either re-sign or trade him after this season, and get some value out of him. Everyone knew Kawhi was going to walk. So the Spurs got what they could, and did themselves a favor. I think it was a very good move by the Spurs. Is DeRozan a complete player? No, of course Leonard is the best two-way player in the league when healthy. But DeRozan is just as, if not a tad better, a scorer, and unlike Leonard doesn't have significant injury history.

Big win for the Spurs.

I feel horrible for the Toronto Raptors fan base. First Vince and T-Mac, now DeRozan. Sorry TOX and others. This really sucks right now.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2018, 02:40:18 PM »
At first, I didn't know that Demar had been promised he would remain with the Raptors. Can't believe Mesai was so classless. We'll see how the basketball side turns out, but the "human decency" side failed. Obviously we need to put things in perspective - Demar is a millionaire who just got traded to one of the best organizations in sports - but the whole thing is still uncool.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2018, 06:46:59 PM »
I feel horrible for the Toronto Raptors fan base. First Vince and T-Mac, now DeRozan. Sorry TOX and others. This really sucks right now.

What? No love for Bosh? Lol!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Kawhi learns the words to "O Canada"
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »
The Spurs turned an impossible situation into lemonade. I will always thank Kawhi for his years and talents he brought to the team....this season, though, I lost respect for him. He seemed like the second coming of David Robinson with his off court integrity, but he showed his true colors. A bonafied diva. Good luck in Toronto, Kawhi.

I’m more sad about Danny Green being part of that trade. He is a great defensive player, and when he’s on fire, he has one of the prettiest 3 shot in the game. The 2013 Finals against the Heat, he set a Finals record for most 3pointers made. He had the heart of a Spur, and when Toronto plays in San Antonio next year, Spurs fans will give him a standing ovation, not Kawhi.

Yes.. im incredibly spiteful and angry towards Kawhi.

I’m very excited for DeMar DeRozan joining the Spurs, even though it wasnt what he wanted. But I have a feeling that unlike Kawhi, he wont give up on his team. I’m excited to see him and Aldridge play together.

Most of all, im happy the Kawhi drama is over. And that he got traded to a team he didnt want to go to. Bet he sits out and rakes in the money like he did to us this year.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
The Spurs turned an impossible situation into lemonade. I will always thank Kawhi for his years and talents he brought to the team....this season, though, I lost respect for him. He seemed like the second coming of David Robinson with his off court integrity, but he showed his true colors. A bonafied diva. Good luck in Toronto, Kawhi.

I’m more sad about Danny Green being part of that trade. He is a great defensive player, and when he’s on fire, he has one of the prettiest 3 shot in the game. The 2013 Finals against the Heat, he set a Finals record for most 3pointers made. He had the heart of a Spur, and when Toronto plays in San Antonio next year, Spurs fans will give him a standing ovation, not Kawhi.

Yes.. im incredibly spiteful and angry towards Kawhi.

I’m very excited for DeMar DeRozan joining the Spurs, even though it wasnt what he wanted. But I have a feeling that unlike Kawhi, he wont give up on his team. I’m excited to see him and Aldridge play together.

Most of all, im happy the Kawhi drama is over. And that he got traded to a team he didnt want to go to. Bet he sits out and rakes in the money like he did to us this year.

I will always remember Kawhi for those missed FTs in the final 28 seconds or so in Game 6 of the 2013 Finals...  :biggrin:

DeRozan just can't get far away enough from LeBron...  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »
Way to remind me that we would have had 6 Championships if it werent for that motherfucker lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2018, 04:46:40 AM »
I hope Melo redeems himself this year. His career is declining faster than Rose’s career and maybe playing for the rockets or the heat he can be a little more efficient.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2018, 06:26:49 AM »
Carmelo is similar to Dwight Howard in this regard: both have the stats and numbers where you look at it and think, "He is a Hall of Famer," but it's almost laughable to think that either is.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2018, 06:39:12 AM »
Carmelo is similar to Dwight Howard in this regard: both have the stats and numbers where you look at it and think, "He is a Hall of Famer," but it's almost laughable to think that either is.

I feel the same way.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2018, 06:43:57 AM »
No, I don't feel the same way... while their numbers may look similar, but Melo is definitely a more well liked guy then D12 on or off the court. People don't seem to miss him on every team D12 left, but you can still hear players talking about Melo's good even after he is no longer with the Knicks.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2018, 06:47:28 AM »
I don't listen to the players.  I look at the teams he is on and while he produced, he never elivated other's game.  Great players do that or carry teams (Ala: LeBron) .  Melo has never done that.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2018, 06:52:42 AM »
I don't listen to the players.  I look at the teams he is on and while he produced, he never elivated other's game.  Great players do that or carry teams (Ala: LeBron) .  Melo has never done that.

In all fairness, he was kind of carrying those terrible Nuggets teams early in his career. He even single-handedly brought them to the 2009 WCF... but he quickly flames out afterward...  :facepalm:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
Carried them to what?  They had one season in Denver where he played 16 games in the playoffs.  All other seasons it was 4 or 5 games and done.  That's not carrying a team.