Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78334 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. LeBron goes west
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2018, 04:07:03 PM »
I'm just glad there wasn't the hokey circus of years past surrounding his move.  His home is in LA, it makes so much sense for family, etc.
Perhaps the Lakers make the playoffs next year.  If so, they might make it to the conference semi-finals, based on his well documented successes in the post season.

(Golden State-Boston next year, anyone?)

Best guess....I'd see him go in as a Cav, considering his Akron roots and what he brought to Cleveland.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
I would assume he could lead a team to the playoffs.  Not sure how far they would go.  But with GSW and Houston as the presumptive #1 and #2 seeds, I don't see the Lakers making it past the second round, barring some injuries or other unforeseen circumstance.  The following year, if they are able to add a bit more talent (which I would assume would be the case), different story.  I'm hoping and pretty much expecting the Warriors to consummate the 3-peat next year.  After that, I think they have to start thinning the roster a bit due to cap space and contract issues, so we could see a leveling off and dropoff, where other teams should find it easier to move in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
They are still making moves. Adding Rondo is interesting since he is a more talented and experienced Lonzo. Either Rondo agreed to lead the bench or Lonzo is gone in a trade.

Them letting go of Randle is a bad move as he would have been a good asset to the team. I would say by the end of the week they will sign another 10-15 million/year player, or make a trade in a few weeks for one.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »
Interesting.  Hadn't yet seen the Rondo move.  I am REALLY curious to see how that works out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »
Bosk1.  You should see who your boys just picked up on a 1 year deal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
That is ridiculous, I get he is still injured and what not but once he comes back (January to Feb?) GSW should win out the season, break the win streak record and have a perfect playoff run 16-0.

I’m still gonna watch games, and probably go to a game or two(go Knicks) because I’m a basketball fan before and NBA fan but anyone watching to see the champion has no reason to do so.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »
They are still making moves. Adding Rondo is interesting since he is a more talented and experienced Lonzo. Either Rondo agreed to lead the bench or Lonzo is gone in a trade.

Them letting go of Randle is a bad move as he would have been a good asset to the team. I would say by the end of the week they will sign another 10-15 million/year player, or make a trade in a few weeks for one.

Getting Rondo feels weird. A former Celtic, a guy we've battled hard against in the Finals in 2008 and 2010... it is Don Nelson coaching the Knicks kind of weird... hope things work out. I don't think Lonzo will be traded because of this signing. Lonzo will definitely learn from both LeBron and Rondo though. He has high basketball IQ, and I expect him to improve his shooting somewhat. He will be good.

As for Randle, he doesn't want to be in LA and asked to be renounced. He is such a ball dominate post guy, I bet he thinks he can do better in New Orleans next to AD. That being said, under sized and all,  Randle comes to play every night. It is a good signing for the Pels. His main problem is, he can't seem to develop a good pick & roll game with us in LA, and he was even less effective as a screener than Lopez last season. Jrue Holiday's job has just become so much harder.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
Bosk1.  You should see who your boys just picked up on a 1 year deal.

Oh, wow.  Not sure what to think.  Between the injury and his style being very different than how the Warriors play, I'm not sure about this.  But his talent is undeniable, and if he can be a fraction of his old self when he is able to play next season, he can add a lot.

Getting Rondo feels weird.
I'm actually kind of happy about this.  I kind of liked him when he first came to the Celtics.  Then the more I watched him, the more I soured on his REALLY dirty play.  So him going to the Lakers is great.  All the more reason to root against the Lakers, which just feel SO right.  :biggrin:

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
The NBA is clearly broken at this point, it's ridiculous that 1 team can have 5 all stars in it's lineup. Still, this is all the players fault, they were the ones who pushed for the cap spike that generated the issues in the first place, they are the ones who stopped wanting to compete and are whoring out just to get a ring. It's a win the easiest way possible now. I remember a couple years back when Durant joined the Warriors, Chuck said that back in the day teams wanted to go out and compete against the best, not join them. These new crop of players know that they can play for max contracts a couple of years, live comfortably their whole life and then just chase hardware without having to compete much. It's such a shame.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2018, 07:02:46 AM »
The NBA is clearly broken at this point, it's ridiculous that 1 team can have 5 all stars in it's lineup. Still, this is all the players fault, they were the ones who pushed for the cap spike that generated the issues in the first place, they are the ones who stopped wanting to compete and are whoring out just to get a ring. It's a win the easiest way possible now. I remember a couple years back when Durant joined the Warriors, Chuck said that back in the day teams wanted to go out and compete against the best, not join them. These new crop of players know that they can play for max contracts a couple of years, live comfortably their whole life and then just chase hardware without having to compete much. It's such a shame.

I can see why the players wanted this. The superstars can align and compete for championships... while guys who would typically be role players can get MAX deals playing in the outskirts.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »
And Boogie is a genius. He's like an 8 year guy who's never played in the playoffs. This deal pretty much guarantees that will change.

Plus, with being on this team, he will be under no pressure to rush back to help his team make the playoffs. He does seem to have a lengthy recovery yet.

Then, next year, with likely a ring in tow... he can go practically wherever he wants and make STUPID money.

On another note, watched the Greek Freak (easier to type than his actual name), on the Herd yesterday, and Colin was asking him what he thought of the superstars moving and such... he said he plans on staying in Milwaukee his whole career... he's a low key guy and he loves it there.  Hope for Buck fans that he doesn't have a change of heart. But refreshing to hear, none the less

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »
The NBA is clearly broken at this point, it's ridiculous that 1 team can have 5 all stars in it's lineup. . . . It's such a shame.

No, it's really not.  It's awesome to see so much talent come together and the players having a great time.  For fans that care to watch it with an open mind, it's a lot of very contagious fun, in this fan's opinion.  And, yes, I was singing the same tune long before the present Warriors dynasty came to be.  I have zero problem with this.

As far as this specific move, I LOVE it for several reasons.

First off, I love the way it came together, now that some of the facts were out.  Apparently, Cousins was talking to his agent after being notified by phone that the Pelicans were cutting him.  The two of them decided to cold-call the Warriors just to see if there was any interest, knowing that it would likely be for the veteran's minimum.  So he cold-called Bob Myers, who cannot talk yet according to league rules, but was likely completely floored by getting a call out of the blue by an all-star in a position the Warriors need, wanting to sign on for a minimum deal.  Myers got his people to put together the deal IMMEDIATELY.  And there you have it.  As I heard someone say on radio this morning, "the rest of the league just got light-yeared."

Second, ALL the buzz yesterday was about LeBron and the Lakers and the moves they were making to become a contender.  Within hours, NOBODY is talking Lakers.  :lol  (yeah, I love to hate the Lakers)

Third, I hadn't really followed his career and realized that he played with the other 4 Warriors starters on Team USA, and that they apparently blended seamlessly.  So, apparently, any misgivings about having him fit the system once he is healed are misplaced.  He should fit in just fine.

Fourth, the rest of the league grousing about it is laughable.  ANY team could have gone out and gotten him.  He wanted the Warriors.  They didn't hesitate and pulled the trigger like true bosses.  What's to hate, unless you just resent others being better than you?

Fifth, Houston got worse and the Warriors got better.

EDIT:  Okay, not ALL the league is bent about it.  This is awesome:

Wouldn't be surprised if I see
 BREAKING: Warriors just signed Thanos and John Wick to add to their bench for one year. Lol

- Enes Kanter (@Enes_Kanter) July 3, 2018

:lol Lovin' it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:37:28 AM by bosk1 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:21 AM »
Here's an interesting question:  When LeBron is ultimately inducted into the NBA HoF, would he likely go in as a Cav, a Heat player, or a Laker?

This sort of question is only relevant to Major League Baseball players.  Basketball, hockey and football players do not "go in as a" member of any particular team.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »
Oh, really?  I guess I didn't realize that.  Wow.  Contrary to what my wife says, I guess I don't know it all.   :biggrin:

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »
Sorry Bosk but it is not awesome. The last couple of years were all about Warriors vs Cavs, now it's not even that. The competitive balance is the league is virtually non-existent. Silver doesn't want teams tanking but what are the Nets/grizzlies/hawks supposed to do, try to compete against that? How many teams can realistically pose a threat to that team? Boston maybe? And only because the East playoffs will be as easy as stealing candy from a kid. Where does this end? Eventually having 3/4 teams that have all the supestars and a bunch of sparrings that will be there just to take punches?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2018, 10:52:35 AM »
I fail to see how any of what you just said is bad.  There is no rule ANYWHERE that says that sports is only good or entertaining if X number of teams can "pose a threat to [whatever the best team is]."  If some fans can only be entertained by mediocrity that ensures that a large number of teams have a fighting chance, then that isn't the league's fault. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »
Oh, really?  I guess I didn't realize that.  Wow.  Contrary to what my wife says, I guess I don't know it all.   :biggrin:

Keep in mind that, when someone says "so-and-so baseball player is going into the Hall of Fame as a [singularized name of team]," all it really means is that the player's plaque depicts him wearing that team's cap.  The plaque still mentions all of the teams for which the player played and is otherwise generally team neutral (except to the extent that it mentions an accomplishment unique to one particular team).

In all of the other sports, the depictions of the players (whether on a plaque or a bust) are without headwear
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
If memory serves, the NBA has been making more money and registering better television ratings for a few years in a row. The overall product is doing well. However, there is meaningful grumpiness over how stacked the Warriors are. I think that the league will move toward a hard cap in the future to prevent a super team like this from forming again.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
I think that the league will move toward a hard cap in the future to prevent a super team like this from forming again.

I think you are likely correct.  And I find that disappointing.  Again, so what if a team is stacked?  If that bothers other teams, they should work hard to become stacked as well.

But on the flipside of what the league will likely do, I don't think they actually need to do much.  It's hard to truly build a team like the Warriors.  Their original core of Curry, Thompson, and Green came home-grown through the draft.  There's no way to legislate against that, and I don't think anyone in their right mind should argue that the league should.  The Durant acquisition was achieved through a fluke that allowed several factors to all converge in a very limited window of time where a loophole opened and then shut.  There is VERY little likelihood of that ever happening again the way things are structured.  And then the Cousins acquisition--again, a fluke that can't really be guarded against.  He would be set to receive a HUGE contract this season.  But he suffered an unforeseen injury, his team cut him, and he was willing to take a HUGE pay cut to go to this team that you would almost never see of someone in his situation.  A cap can't guard against that.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
I think that the league will move toward a hard cap in the future to prevent a super team like this from forming again.
I think you are likely correct.  And I find that disappointing.  Again, so what if a team is stacked?  If that bothers other teams, they should work hard to become stacked as well.
While I think that the Warriors have been very lucky in all this, I also think they have been incredibly smart. I feel bad penalizing them for their success, especially when you have teams like the Lakers making horrible signings left and right. But at the end of the day, I would be more entertained by an NBA that doesn't have such an indestructible team.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
While I think that the Warriors have been very lucky in all this, I also think they have been incredibly smart. I feel bad penalizing them for their success, especially when you have teams like the Lakers making horrible signings left and right.
I agree, and I would stand by such an assessment whether I loved, hated, or was indifferent toward the team in question. 

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
I fail to see how any of what you just said is bad.  There is no rule ANYWHERE that says that sports is only good or entertaining if X number of teams can "pose a threat to [whatever the best team is]."  If some fans can only be entertained by mediocrity that ensures that a large number of teams have a fighting chance, then that isn't the league's fault.

I know there isn't a rule anywhere that says it's bad (such a lawyer response) and as TOX points out, the league has been doing great financially, mostly because they signed that massive TV deal a couple years back. The issue is that if fans feel like their team has nothing to compete for or can't display good basketball they might be more reluctant to spend money on the product. The NBA as a whole is a product, it's 30 teams competing, not just one. If one team which accounts for a relatively small fanbase compared to the whole NBA is the only one with options it will eventually hurt the overall product.

Regarding the hard cap, I was reading some reporting saying that it's very hard to move to a hard cap the way things are without losing a lot of money in the process. And besides that, the CBA was signed last year so rules can't be modified until 2022, so don't expect anything to change any time soon.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
From NBC Sports: Browns Must Fill Gap After LeBron’s Departure

You mean the 1-31 Browns of the last 2 years? The Cleveland Indians have won their division the last several years, have been to the World Series, are going to win their division again this year and are loaded for a deep playoff run. Clueless assholes at NBC.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
such a lawyer response

I don't see the need for that.  I said it because I think it is a correct response.  If you think I'm attacking you, or being pedantic, I'm not.  I just strongly disagree that what you are saying makes for a "bad product."  I think that allowing teams and players to make whatever decisions are necessary to improve themselves to whatever degree possible is a good thing, even if that means a practical reality that few teams are competitive come championship time.  I don't like a product where parity is artificially imposed and you are basically, in effect, handing out "participation trophies" and giving everyone a chance.  More importantly, I don't think that that is a better product.  I think it is a worse one.  If you disagree, that's cool.  But I'm still free to tell you why I think that's a bad model.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
I would say people's responses are upset because let's look at the past models.  It for the most part been 3 All Stars to form a championship.  Then the Warriors add the second best player in the league and now have 4 All stars.  Add Boogie and now have 5 perennial All stars.  That's what other team's fans feel, anger.

I, for one look forward to the challenge only because the team I follow will be damn good.  I'm in the minority.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
I would say people's responses are upset because let's look at the past models.  It for the most part been 3 All Stars to form a championship.  Then the Warriors add the second best player in the league and now have 4 All stars.  Add Boogie and now have 5 perennial All stars.  That's what other team's fans feel, anger.

No, I understand that.  That is exactly what I was addressing in saying "so what?"  That doesn't make for a "bad product."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
I look forward to our games to see how we size up to the champs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2018, 03:24:28 PM »
Same here.  I was bummed they didn't make the finals, notwithstanding liking the poetic justice of seeing LeBron get beaten by the same team year in and year out.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
From NBC Sports: Browns Must Fill Gap After LeBron’s Departure

You mean the 1-31 Browns of the last 2 years? The Cleveland Indians have won their division the last several years, have been to the World Series, are going to win their division again this year and are loaded for a deep playoff run. Clueless assholes at NBC.

They're actually spot on. The Browns returning to Championship contenders and actually winning another championship would completely overshadow anyting that the Cavs or Indians could do. The Browns are the most beloved of their teams by far.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »

While I agree that far too many players nowadays want to take the path of least resistance (see: Kevin Durant), the NBA has always been top heavy where there are only a handful of team with a realistic shot of winning it all.  If you want excitement where the quality of play is great and a crap load of teams can actually win it, then join the rest of us in watching the NHL. :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2018, 12:30:59 PM »
Thunder to part ways with Melo...interesting

So he still gets his money and can sign for a 10-15 mil a year with someone else. I hope is not the lakers or back to the Knicks.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2018, 01:56:44 PM »
Tony Parker to Charlotte....I don't know what to say...I don't know if this is because of the Kawhi drama or because Dejounte Murray is our starting PG...

He's is on the Mt. Rushmore of the Spurs organization. Parker was a tremendous part of the Spurs success the past 20 years. Came into the league when he was 19, and quickly became one of the best point guards in the league. His tear drop was legendary. One of the best foreign players to play the game. He may end his career as a Hornet, but his jersey will hang in the rafters in San Antonio.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
Wow! I thought it would be a slow day in free agency... but when I woke up TP is moving to the Hornets, and Melo will soon become a FA or be traded for cost saving purposes? This off season has been full of surprises.  :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2018, 01:57:16 AM »
Meanwhile, all my friends back in Orlando are poking their hometown team with a stick, trying to get it to do something...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2018, 05:16:42 AM »
Meanwhile, all my friends back in Orlando are poking their hometown team with a stick, trying to get it to do something...

I don’t know which organization is worse right now, Knicks or Magic. The Knicks didn’t even try to adquire anyone.