Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 79540 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
If that is true, the nets must have talked to Kyrie or Kemba already. Otherwise getting rid of your all star point guard doesn't make much sense given the return they are getting

I am betting Kyrie. Kyrie grew up a Nets fan, and just bought property in his hometown in NJ. I think its inevitable. And all that chatter about how Irving and Russell can play together...yes, but no. They are both too similar in how they play on the court. The Nets want to make a splash, and Kyrie is it. Plus with a return of say Saric (PF on cheap contract for two more years) who is a solid complementary piece, Teague (starting caliber guard on an expiring deal), and a first round pick, the Nets get depth, cap relief after next season, and future talent. Makes sense all the way around.

Again, just educated guesswork. But I think something of that nature will happen. D-Lo and Towns are good friends, and D-Lo is the type of PG we need. But the Wolves can't do it unless they shed Teague's 19-million, and Saric's 5 million -- which opens up 24, 25 million per for D-Lo in a sign and trade. We'll see.

Apparently that's the rumor that is circulating in NBA circles now. Kyrie to the Nets
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Yep, like I said, makes complete sense. They also want Tobias Harris. Imagine this Nets top-7:

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Spencer Dinwiddie
SF - Joe Harris
PF - Tobias Harris
C - Jarret Allen

6th - Jeff Teague (PG/SG)
7th - Dario Saric (PF)

That's WAY better than what they have now. And if I'm them, and I know I want and will get Irving, I do that sign and trade of D-Lo, because it makes more sense to bring in a wing, rather than try and stuff three PGs in the same starting 5 (Dinwiddie is a PG, but he's the height of a typical SG at 6'6").

Again, Wolves fan dreaming here, but as a hoops junkie, it also makes TOTAL sense for the Nets if they know they are getting Irving.

On another note, it sorta sucks that Klay likely won't play tonight for the Dubs, as well as Durant. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad them, but I feel bad for fellow hoops fanatics who love watching the best talent on the floor during basketball's biggest event. Prediction - Dubs win tonight despite the injuries. Steph will go for 35+, and expect Cousins to put up 25/10.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Azyiu

On another note, it sorta sucks that Klay likely won't play tonight for the Dubs, as well as Durant. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad them, but I feel bad for fellow hoops fanatics who love watching the best talent on the floor during basketball's biggest event. Prediction - Dubs win tonight despite the injuries. Steph will go for 35+, and expect Cousins to put up 25/10.

Agreed. It is just not as fun without the KD vs Kawhi match up, or Klay putting up 3s on one end while helps defending Kawhi on the other. I too hope the Warriors win tonight. This game 3 feels like a critical game 5 for the Warriors with their injuries, and I think whoever wins tonight will have a very good chance in winning this series.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I guess that game last night left everyone speechless?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I didn’t watch the game and was just checking the Box Score.

I am surprised the Raps won but hey good for them. They gained back home court and are in a position to put GS at the brink of losing the finals. I still expect GS to win, but not as sure about it as I was before.

Cousin had only 4 points and 3 Rebs? Curry was the player with the most Rebs yesterday for GS and I think that tells the whole story of the game (again, I did not see it) even though overall GS had 1+ Reb over the Raps.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn’t watch the game and was just checking the Box Score.

I am surprised the Raps won but hey good for them. They gained back home court and are in a position to put GS at the brink of losing the finals. I still expect GS to win, but not as sure about it as I was before.

Cousin had only 4 points and 3 Rebs? Curry was the player with the most Rebs yesterday for GS and I think that tells the whole story of the game (again, I did not see it) even though overall GS had 1+ Reb over the Raps.

IIRC, Cousins points came on a 1-2 from the charity stripe, and a 3-pointer.  Down low... Gasol and an appropriate double-team held him ineffective.  There was no answer for Curry though - dude was in constant motion, and even when he wasn't open, he was nailing shots.  He missed a couple of critical ones that would've closed the gap in the 3rd and 4th to like 5 points... but that'll happen when you play 40+ minutes and are running around for at least 1/2 of them.

Raps offense finally showed up - 6 players in double digits.  And when Gasol is giving 15+ along with Danny Green dropping six 3s, and Lowry adding 25 .... well, it's a tough road for any team - with or without 2 of their best players.  Cousins didn't step up, and Draymond/Iguodala were inconsistent.

Should be a different game tomorrow with Klay back, and perhaps KD.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

its been a perfect scenario for the Raps, Golden State is wounded and the Raps are clicking on all levels right now.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Seems like every time the Warriors would get it within 7-8 points, someone on the Raptors would hit a dagger to shut down any thoughts of a comeback. 

I guess Curry now knows what LeBron felt like for years, to have an awesome game, but not have enough help.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
I guess that game last night left everyone speechless?

What shocked me is Steve Kerr. That loss, IMO, is completely on him. He was without two Hall of Fame-caliber players, and without a key reserve. He was left with a superstar/HOF-caliber player in Steph Curry, Draymond Green (All Star) and Demarcus Cousins (All Star). Instead of adjusting their game plan to fit the personnel, they plugged and played, and that was clearly the wrong move. Demarcus Cousins is slow. He's not effective on the wing. You need to put him in the post, and if he drifts outside and hits a three, great. But they should have run the ball from Draymond, to Demarcus in the post, and a kick out to Curry on the perimeter.

I get that it is difficult to adjust HOW you play this late in the year. But that offense is built on perimeter players and speed. The Raptors flat-out dominated the Dubs last night, and Steve Kerr should be beating himself up that he didn't change things up a little more. That was a huge game for the Raptors. I'm just baffled why Kerr didn't adjust and throw the Raps a curveball by dumping it into COusins in the post every possession until the Raptors proved they could stop him down there. The Raptors have Gasol, but after that, no one else can guard Cousins in the post. Throw the curveball, and go half court, and see if you can confuse the Raptors enough to get ahead. The Dubs never did that.

SO, now we have the Dubs down 2-1, and Durant and Thompson will come back game 4, both probably around 65 percent healthy. Not what you want.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Don't forget that they also had Iguodala, so they had four current or former All-Stars on the floor last night as opposed to their usual six.

I will still be surprised if Durant returns; I think that is a smoke screen, but I could be wrong. 

Fun fact: the Warriors are 1-5 in their last six NBA finals games without Kevin Durant.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I will still be surprised if Durant returns; I think that is a smoke screen, but I could be wrong. 

I think you may be right, but unless him playing risks a long-term injury, they've got to go to that well at this point, don't they?  If they drop game 4, it's virtually over for them.  Or is *he* holding back because he doesn't want to risk anything because of his pending free agency?

I can't argue your points, Brian, but Cousins/Iguodala/Green were all held in check - especially the former, who was 1-7.  Raps made it hard for Steph, but didn't put all their eggs in the basket of trying to stop him.  They still played fairly a balanced defensive scheme to make sure that others didn't burn them in the effort to minimize Steph.

I also think that Cousins was taken out because Gasol was exploiting his weak defense.  Very odd to see McKinnie with 18 minutes.  Almost like Kerr didn't know what to try.

Serge Iblocka had a great game too - not a lot of points, but a couple of key buckets that (as Kev referenced) prevented GSW from really closing the gap.  Really balanced effort on both sides of the ball from the Raps - even though they were held pointless for almost 4 minutes in 2Q.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

I can't argue your points, Brian, but Cousins/Iguodala/Green were all held in check - especially the former, who was 1-7.  Raps made it hard for Steph, but didn't put all their eggs in the basket of trying to stop him.  They still played fairly a balanced defensive scheme to make sure that others didn't burn them in the effort to minimize Steph.

They absolutely did. But what I am saying is that the Warriors ran their standard offensive sets. They just plugged in people to replace Durant and Thompson and ran the same offense. What I'm saying is Kerr should have adjusted their sets, and played a half court set given their personnel. Cousins would have been effective on the block, in a half court set. He's not effective on the wing being as slow as he is.

I also think that Cousins was taken out because Gasol was exploiting his weak defense.  Very odd to see McKinnie with 18 minutes.  Almost like Kerr didn't know what to try.

The one thing he didn't try was going old school. And he should have.

Serge Iblocka had a great game too - not a lot of points, but a couple of key buckets that (as Kev referenced) prevented GSW from really closing the gap.  Really balanced effort on both sides of the ball from the Raps - even though they were held pointless for almost 4 minutes in 2Q.

He was almost invisible out there. I was impressed by Danny Green continuing to show he's the real deal. He reminded me of Robert Horry last night.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ibaka invisible?  We must've been watching a different game.  Sure, he didn't have big stat lines, but he got key points, and key blocks when it mattered a whole ton.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Turns out the fan that shoved Kyle Lowry last night is a minority owner with the Warriors.

Wow.

The NBA needs to come down hard on that guy and the Warriors organization. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Turns out the fan that shoved Kyle Lowry last night is a minority owner with the Warriors.

Wow.

The NBA needs to come down hard on that guy and the Warriors organization.

Wow is right indeed.  The NBA has even more power over his consequence now.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Durant is out for Game 4. Klay will play, but he probably won't be at 100%. The Raps have another good chance. It's not going to come easy, mind you, but they need to take advantage if they can.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline T-ski

Nets start clearing salary for a max free agent.....

Adrian Wojnarowski
 @wojespn
Brooklyn is trading Allen Crabbe and No. 17 pick in 2019 NBA Draft and protected first in 2020 to Atlanta for Taurean Prince and 2021 second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
At this point, KD's injury has to be more than just a calf strain.  A 'strain' doesn't put you out for 8 games/3 weeks and the last games of the Finals.  I'm 100% on the 'smokescreen' bandwagon - it's got to be a tear, or an achilles problem.  And no way Klay is in prime game condition.  I can see him coming up lame if he's ever in a position where he really needs to motor, or turns the wrong way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yep, I have thought for weeks that Durant is done for the year, but they are keeping it a secret so the other team still has to prepare for the possibility that he might play, which I am okay with.  I am in favor of teams hiding injuries. 

Offline Azyiu

KD's situation aside, nah, the Warriors will be fine... I am certain guys like Danny Green, Lowry and Van Vleet won't stay as hot beyond the 3-point line (they went 14 for 25 in game 3) again. Especially Green, he is going to come back down to earth going forward. The same goes for the Warriors. Chances are they won't shoot as poorly collectively in game 4. As poorly as the Warriors not named Curry were playing, they were still able to control the offensive boards in game 3. I am confident this series will be tied 2-2 heading back to Toronto.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline T-ski

Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Warriors struggling to win with only 4 All-Stars
« Reply #1000 on: June 06, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
KD's situation aside, nah, the Warriors will be fine... I am certain guys like Danny Green, Lowry and Van Vleet won't stay as hot beyond the 3-point line (they went 14 for 25 in game 3) again. Especially Green, he is going to come back down to earth going forward. The same goes for the Warriors. Chances are they won't shoot as poorly collectively in game 4. As poorly as the Warriors not named Curry were playing, they were still able to control the offensive boards in game 3. I am confident this series will be tied 2-2 heading back to Toronto.

That’s what Bucks fans thought.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1001 on: June 06, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »
That’s what Bucks fans thought.

But y'all don't have 4 All-stars, lol  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: June 07, 2019, 05:24:40 AM »

I admire your confidence, and you could very well be 100% right.  The reason the Dubs are winning on the OREB stat-line is because the Raps are preferring to get back on defence to prevent the fast breaks.  Toronto's D excels in the 1/2 court, so they are sacrificing OREBs for that.

Not sure why you think Steady-Freddie will come back to earth on 3-pointers.  He's been on fire since Game 3 of the Bucks series.  And yes, Green is streaky - will he drop six 3s again?  Maybe not, but I don't think going Oh-for is where he'll end up either.  On the flipside, I doubt Curry is gonna put up 45+.  I also don't think Klay is anywhere near 100%.  It's gonna come down to one of the Dubs fringe players stepping up and punching out of their weight class - Green, Iguodala, Cousins... one of them has to have a 20+ game.

Despite all of that, the Raps still have Kahwi.  His 30 points was a pretty 'silent' 30.  There's still the opportunity for him to put the team on his back and carry them to victory any given game.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the Raps chances.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1003 on: June 07, 2019, 05:48:44 AM »
If Klay and Durant are out again, the Raptors should play Golden St like the Bad Boy Pistons used to play Jordan's Bulls: do not worry and overthink it if Curry goes off and just focus on shutting everyone else down. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1004 on: June 07, 2019, 07:42:42 AM »

I admire your confidence, and you could very well be 100% right.  The reason the Dubs are winning on the OREB stat-line is because the Raps are preferring to get back on defence to prevent the fast breaks.  Toronto's D excels in the 1/2 court, so they are sacrificing OREBs for that.

:huh: Wouldn't they already be on defense when giving up OREB?  :huh:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1005 on: June 07, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »

Not sure why you think Steady-Freddie will come back to earth on 3-pointers.  He's been on fire since Game 3 of the Bucks series.  And yes, Green is streaky - will he drop six 3s again?  Maybe not, but I don't think going Oh-for is where he'll end up either.  On the flipside, I doubt Curry is gonna put up 45+.  I also don't think Klay is anywhere near 100%.  It's gonna come down to one of the Dubs fringe players stepping up and punching out of their weight class - Green, Iguodala, Cousins... one of them has to have a 20+ game.

Despite all of that, the Raps still have Kahwi.  His 30 points was a pretty 'silent' 30.  There's still the opportunity for him to put the team on his back and carry them to victory any given game.

One thing I will say - The Warriors are amazing. Steph Curry can will anyone to a victory. If Klay returns, they may be a legitimate favorite again. But sometimes it feels as though people think the Warriors will be fine no matter what happens, and I don't think that's true. Hell - They were favored by Vegas to win Game 3 even without Klay and KD, and with Iggy and Cousins playing below 100%. In hindsight, that was kind of ridiculous. At some point, the Warriors "will be fine" until they aren't. I really hope this is that series.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Ibaka invisible?  We must've been watching a different game.  Sure, he didn't have big stat lines, but he got key points, and key blocks when it mattered a whole ton.

He showed up in key spots, yes, but he floated throughout the game. I like Ibaka a lot, but I didn't like how he played, other than those few moments.

Regarding KD -- talking heads on NBA radio mentioned how if it was just a calf, he'd be back by now. They think, and I agree, its a partially torn Achilles, which if true, you won't see KD this series, and I wonder how that will damage his value in free agency (remember Boogie was supposed to be in line for a max before his first injury, and had to settle for a 1 year, 5 mil deal).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: June 07, 2019, 08:39:28 AM »

:huh: Wouldn't they already be on defense when giving up OREB?  :huh:

Yes... though my stance was explaining why the Raps were *not* getting as many OREBs.  I think the Dubs are giving themselves more chances to get an OREB, and thus the reason they had a 13-5 advantage in OREB.  For the series, it's only 28-27.  When your players are already retreating while the ball is in mid-air, you're effectively sacrificing the chance to even TRY for an OREB.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kawhi Leonard and Klay Thompsen are probably my two favorite players in the league.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Good lord, Draymond Green is a fuckin moron. Steph just breathes a last gasp of air into the Warriors' lungs getting it to 97-89 and then his dumb ass has to commit an obvious foul 40 feet from the basket and then act shocked about the whistle. The dude has as much control over his emotions as Delta Burke locked inside a candy store.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Good lord, Draymond Green is a fuckin moron. Steph just breathes a last gasp of air into the Warriors' lungs getting it to 97-89 and then his dumb ass has to commit an obvious foul 40 feet from the basket and then act shocked about the whistle. The dude has as much control over his emotions as Delta Burke locked inside a candy store.

:lol :lol :lol 

What a win for the Raptors.  Kahwi Leonard is a beast. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Azyiu

Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Canada on the verge!!
« Reply #1011 on: June 07, 2019, 09:48:19 PM »
Never say never, being down 1-3 looks bad... but then the Warriors are the experts in blowing 3-1 lead. Maybe they know a thing or two about winning the next 3 games?  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1012 on: June 07, 2019, 10:02:24 PM »
I am loving this. I have absolutely no particular dislike of the Warriors....I just hate that everyone has been handing them the trophy and basically treating them as untouchable since the season began.

As Boomer once said: “THAT’S why they play the games.”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1013 on: June 07, 2019, 10:38:17 PM »
Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Warriors!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: June 08, 2019, 04:39:36 AM »

One thing I will say - The Warriors are amazing. Steph Curry can will anyone to a victory. If Klay returns, they may be a legitimate favorite again. But sometimes it feels as though people think the Warriors will be fine no matter what happens, and I don't think that's true. Hell - They were favored by Vegas to win Game 3 even without Klay and KD, and with Iggy and Cousins playing below 100%. In hindsight, that was kind of ridiculous. At some point, the Warriors "will be fine" until they aren't. I really hope this is that series.

Seems like everything above was spot on between the two of us.  Green/Van Fleet cooled off; Kawhi had a big point game.  For the Dubs, Klay/Curry were just fine, but no one else stepped up.  The Raptors were ice cold offensively in the 1st, but the Warriors couldn't pull away.  Defense again saved them with all those steals/forced turnovers.  I tell ya, that first 5-6 minutes was sloppy as fuck by both teams.  This could've been a 20 point victory if the Raps hadn't had such a horrible first quarter.  Officiating was very questionable at times (towards both teams), and what the fuck was with the Dubs shooting 66% from the free-throw line.   :omg:

I am loving this. I have absolutely no particular dislike of the Warriors....I just hate that everyone has been handing them the trophy and basically treating them as untouchable since the season began.

All dynasty's fall, and I think we may be witnessing the end of this one. 

Never say never, being down 1-3 looks bad... but then the Warriors are the experts in blowing 3-1 lead. Maybe they know a thing or two about winning the next 3 games?  :lol

Did you see how Kawhi and Lowry were all business in the post-game interviews?  They know they've earned nothing yet.  I'd hardly call the Warriors "experts" at blowing a 3-1 lead ... the Cavs are the ONLY team in Finals history to comeback from 3-1.  Plus, the Dubs have a 3-1 comeback of their own to draw from.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.