Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78396 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
You think?  As King said, Celtics have been hot and cold all season.  I can see the Bucks taking it in 5 or 6.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
While I think the Bucks should take it, the fact the Celtics have Kyrie makes me doubt. If the games are close, he can take over those final minutes and deliver. I'm not sure if I can say the same for the Bucks. If they are down 3 with 4 seconds to go, who do they go to? They have several 3 point shooters but I don't know if they are clutch, and they can't count on Giannis in that situation.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Honestly the C's should wipe them out but their play this year was lukewarm at best and there was turmoil all year.  Kyrie did not handle the leadership role well at all and he even admitted that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
You think?  As King said, Celtics have been hot and cold all season.  I can see the Bucks taking it in 5 or 6.

As was mentioned below, the Kyrie factor is huge. The Celtics are good and deep. As are the Bucks. But I give the Celtics the edge, because while Giannis is clearly the best player in the series, Kyrie isn't that far behind, and I'd take the Celtics depth and ability over the rest of the Bucks. It's close, but I'd still take them, if I was betting. That said, however, I am rooting hardcore for the Bucks. Would be nice to see a different team advance this year, and I have no love for Boston.

On another series -- I'm actually pretty shocked the Jazz were on the verge of being swept last night. Mitchell bailed them out, but that team is gritty. I expected them to play the way they did last night all series.

Portland, to me, is another...not surprise, but I just thought OKC would put up more of a fight. That team just can't get out of its own way. I wonder if its time to bring in a new voice and system...if Westbrook allows it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

Honestly the C's should wipe them out but their play this year was lukewarm at best and there was turmoil all year.  Kyrie did not handle the leadership role well at all and he even admitted that.

this is a homer statement if I've ever read one.  Wipe them out?  The Bucks took them to game 7 last season, when clearly the Celtics were the better team.  The Bucks have improved quite a bit since last season, have possibly the best player in the league, a coach that isn't Jason Kidd, and a much improved bench.  even if the Celtics were in sync it would still go 7 games.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That was without Kyrie and Hayward.   2 all stars.  They should but wont because of the dysfunction.  That's a top 5 player in the league and an all star.   You think that's a leap?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline T-ski

That was without Kyrie and Hayward.   2 all stars.  They should but wont because of the dysfunction.  That's a top 5 player in the league and an all star.   You think that's a leap?

yes, that's a leap.

eta: just went back and looked at the Bucks starting 5 in that series and it included John Henson and Tony Snell, and Jason Terry and Jabari Parker were playing significant minutes off the bench.  I don't think you realize all the Bucks had last year were Giannis and Khris Middleton.  Malcolm Brogdon was coming off an injury and Eric Bledsoe wasn't nearly as engaged as he is this season.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:19:59 PM by T-ski »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't.  All the experts were picking them to challenge the Warriors this year.  This year has been an utter disappointment.  Ego's getting in the way.  Players being selfish.  That's not taking away anything from the Bucks.  They will rule the east going forward.   No doubt but the expectations were that high.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I also think the head coach change has been the right call for the Bucks.  Great move.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
re: dysfunction -- overrated when you get to the postseason. Everyone gets on the same page, because issues don't matter any longer. Winning does. The dysfunction over roles in Boston doesn't exist now. Everyone knows that in the clutch, the two main options are Irving and Tatum. Everyone else gets behind. And you saw that in the first round. That will continue. Dysfunction goes away when you win.

The Bucks are so good. And they have flexibility to do whatever they want moving forward, roster-wise. As long as Giannis stays there, and I see no reason why he'd leave, given what I've seen in public about his persona, the Bucks are going to be legitimate title contenders for the next 10 years, as long as they continue to put the right pieces around him.

Honestly, this match-up is the best of the second round in any conference. Toronto and Philly...eh. Will be good, not as good as Boston-Milwaukee, except for people in Toronto and Philly. I will say this...if Toronto doesn't beat the Sixers, Leonard is gone. And that whole team will be blown up. If Philly loses, I'd bet almost anything both Butler and Harris are gone. Harris will likely go to the Nets or the Knicks and head home (he's from my neck of the woods, I think he's from West Islip). Butler is going to go where he's gonna get paid and be a top dog. Not sure where that is, but that's where he's going.

But the best series is MIlwaukee and Boston. That's the eastern conference finals right there. Whatever team wins that is going to the NBA finals. Book it. No offense to Toronto and Philly fans. But those two teams are a step behind. I have no horse in the race, other than my disdain for Jimmy Butler, and my hatred of Boston sports in general (it killed me when KG went to the Celtics). But I call it as I see it.

Go Bucks!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
We will see against a better team like the Bucks.  I'm not so sure.  I hope I'm wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sam, Toronto will beat Philly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Azyiu

Bucks vs. Celtics is going to be one for the ages. A seven-gamer for sure, probably with a couple of OT games at least.

We need prediction! Who wins? I say Bucks in 6
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's what I was thinking. Bucks in 6.  God, I hope I'm wrong.

Offline T-ski

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's what I was thinking. Bucks in 6.  God, I hope I'm wrong.

You'd rather Bucks in 5?? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

C's in 6.  🤞🤞🤞

Offline Azyiu

Raptors / Sixers should be a fun series... both teams are quite equally matched... X-factor would be Lowry... will he keep disappearing on and off?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jammindude

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THAT 3 BY LILLARD AT THE BUZZER????!!!!!!!

:panicattack:

RIP CITY BABY!!!!! :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Azyiu

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THAT 3 BY LILLARD AT THE BUZZER????!!!!!!!

:panicattack:

RIP CITY BABY!!!!! :metal

Was just going to say something about it... the Blazers came from behind and won it at the end no less!!  :tup  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Lilliard sends Westbrick home for the offseason
« Reply #755 on: April 24, 2019, 05:14:43 AM »
Wow, what a shot.  :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

And it's so great to see Westbrick lose in the first round again.  He has a fellow top 15 player and still can't get out of the first round. :lol :lol :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: April 24, 2019, 06:30:13 AM »
Whatever Westbrook gained in play-making and helping the team in other ways, he has lost in shooting, and that is a big reason why they lost again. His shooting % was horrible throughout the series.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #757 on: April 24, 2019, 07:03:18 AM »
stole this from twitter....

Call him Russell Estbrook because he can't get the "W".

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Sam, Toronto will beat Philly.

From your screen to God's ears my friend. F*** Jimmy Butler.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: April 24, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
I've lost a ton of respect for Westbrook. Both as a player, and his bad decisions and as a person with the way he is handling the media. I've known about the media thing for a long time, it just gets hyped in the playoffs. But I didn't think it was that severe. Ridiculous. Westbrook looks like an ass.

He's a huge talent, but he needs to spend an offseason working on his jump shot, and then also realizing he isn't Jordan or Kobe. Instead of averaging all those points, and all those shots, how about concentrate on being a ball distributor and floor general, and average 18 assists and find your guys. MAKE THEM BETTER.

Congrats to Portland. Hope they come out of the west. Anybody but the Warriors and Nuggets.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #760 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
:lol  Hard to believe Portland made it even this far.  I thought for sure they'd get swept.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #761 on: April 24, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »
I’ve been saying all season that people should be more afraid of Portland. ...I backed off of that when Nurkic went down, but with the Warriors struggling to even get past the Clippers, this post season could get really interesting really fast.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #762 on: April 25, 2019, 06:37:03 AM »
so Golden State can't put away the Clips.....interesting.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: April 26, 2019, 08:12:19 AM »
Anyone feel like talking about the Spurs? I know they aren't anyone's favorites around here (except me) but I think we are taking them for granted and we shouldn't. Lots of people thought they were done after the big 3 was gone and the Kawhi fiasco, yet they managed to get into the playoffs once again and are fighting hard to get rid of the nr 2 seed in the west, all of this without their starting PG.
If they do get past the Nuggets, I think that's as far as they will reach since they don't have the tools to stop Lillard, but I still think it's impressive that they can remain competing like this after all the changes they have been through.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #764 on: April 26, 2019, 08:16:50 AM »
They are pretty thin.  But if they somehow get past Denver, I don't think it's asking too much to think they could beat up on the garbage Blazers.  Still not even sure how that team made it out of the first round.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: April 26, 2019, 09:31:57 AM »
I agree, they are a pretty thin team, which is why I praise what they are accomplishing. As far as the Blazers, I don't think they are garbage. They have 2 really good players who can score at will and a cast of 3&D players that support them pretty good. Then you have Kanter, who's defense (lack of) will be exploited to the max by Pop or Malone.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #766 on: April 26, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »
Jokic or Aldridge should feast on Kanter, good point...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2019, 09:35:41 AM »
They are pretty thin.  But if they somehow get past Denver, I don't think it's asking too much to think they could beat up on the garbage Blazers.  Still not even sure how that team made it out of the first round.

How bout a wager. 

If the Blazers make it to the Western finals (at which point, I do think they will fall...but I think they have a very strong chance of getting there) you have to change to a "Rip City" avatar for the remainder of the playoffs.    If they don't, I will change mine to an avatar of your choice for the remainder of the playoffs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2019, 07:17:50 PM »
J-Boy West.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #769 on: April 27, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »
Kawhi is awesome in Game 1...

Meanwhile, Jimmy Butler is a non-factor in Game 1 at Toronto... at times I literally forgot he IS on the floor...
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,