Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 78376 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Cavs 2-game winning streak!
« Reply #455 on: December 13, 2018, 08:03:21 AM »
So, uh...don't let the score fool you. The T'Wolves had a hand in the face of almost every shooter in the second half last night, and the Kings were just on fire. Franchise record 19 treys. Man, the Wolves are taking a beating on this road trip...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #456 on: December 13, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
And that's why you play the games.  Swarming D by the Raps along with a hot 18-2 early run got the job done.  Clay and Steph throwing up 3-pt bricks helped too - 56 3s in the last 3 games; only 6 last night.  Sometimes it's an 'off' game, and the Dubs certainly looked off.  The Raps brought their A game for sure, but the Dubs also brought their B- game by the looks of things.

Also... nice karate chop from Draymond and resulting dislocated thumb for JV.  Apparently not foul-worthy  :-\.

Amazing how a team that loses to the Nets can play so well just a few days later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #457 on: December 13, 2018, 09:28:51 AM »
The Raps brought their A game for sure, but the Dubs also brought their B- game by the looks of things.

It happens.  Wish I had seen it.  The box score is a bit baffling on the W's side.  Was it exceptionally strong defense by the Raps, exceptionally poor shooting by the W's, or a bit of both?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: December 13, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
The Raps brought their A game for sure, but the Dubs also brought their B- game by the looks of things.

It happens.  Wish I had seen it.  The box score is a bit baffling on the W's side.  Was it exceptionally strong defense by the Raps, exceptionally poor shooting by the W's, or a bit of both?

Bit of both.  Raps were clean on their D (I think GSW only had 15 trips to the line?), out-rebounded GSW, +9 (I think) on turnovers, and killed them on points in the paint.  If I had to guess, I'd say the Dubs' turnovers were 1/2 forced; 1/2 unforced.  As for shooting, Clay/Steph were what... 2-15 from 3-point land?  Contested or not, that is uncharacteristic.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #459 on: December 13, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »
Totally uncharacteristic.  Bummer that they came in flat.  I was hoping both teams would be at their best for this, and I know I'm not alone in that.  Oh well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #460 on: December 14, 2018, 07:07:07 AM »
Two comments about James Harden:

1) Great player. His dribbling and shooting are awe-inspiring. Will obviously be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I am sure that Rockets fans are ecstatic to have him.

2) His general strategy of trying to draw fouls on every play is incredibly annoying to watch. Every drive to the hoop ends with a stumble. Every three pointer ends with his butt on the ground. Like... Come on dude. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #461 on: December 14, 2018, 07:48:42 AM »
Two comments about James Harden:

1) Great player. His dribbling and shooting are awe-inspiring. Will obviously be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I am sure that Rockets fans are ecstatic to have him.

2) His general strategy of trying to draw fouls on every play is incredibly annoying to watch. Every drive to the hoop ends with a stumble. Every three pointer ends with his butt on the ground. Like... Come on dude. :lol

While I agree with number 2, I blame that shit on the officials.  If they are going to fall for it and always call a foul when you flop, why not do it?  You would think the officials would be smarter by now and not fall for that crap, but they apparently are not.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #462 on: December 14, 2018, 08:37:21 AM »
One comment about my Lakers... those officials are certainly the blame for buying Harden's crap... yet we are good at getting beat by teams that everyone else beat up on, while making them look like championship contenders. Guess the long home stand made them forget how to stay focus and compete. If we go 0-4 on this trip, I think we should trade LeBron and rebuild.  :\  :yeahright  :tdwn
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #463 on: December 14, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »
One comment about my Lakers... those officials are certainly the blame for buying Harden's crap... yet we are good at getting beat by teams that everyone else beat up on, while making them look like championship contenders. Guess the long home stand made them forget how to stay focus and compete. If we go 0-4 on this trip, I think we should trade LeBron and rebuild.  :\  :yeahright  :tdwn

Damn, who drinks liquor this early in the morning?? :P :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: December 14, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
James Harden is a great offensive player. Hall of Fame caliber. But he "plays" defense like a matador avoiding a bull. I know in this era of basketball, it doesn't matter. All about lighting it up. But Harden is a complete joke on defense.

I see the Suns got a win last night. Good. That means they are due for another losing streak to start on Saturday. Go Wolves.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #465 on: December 14, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
James Harden is a great offensive player. Hall of Fame caliber. But he "plays" defense like a matador avoiding a bull. I know in this era of basketball, it doesn't matter. All about lighting it up. But Harden is a complete joke on defense.

https://youtu.be/n_HxVuFJZeI?t=18
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
Those were glorious.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #467 on: December 15, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »
Lance got a T for playing his air guitar after making a 3?! Come on refs, that's what he does, lighten up.  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: December 15, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
Lebron and Ball both had a triple double. 6th pair of teammates to have triple double in the same game.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:37 AM »

https://youtu.be/n_HxVuFJZeI?t=18

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

EXACTLY.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #470 on: December 25, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Let’s hope LBJ is ok but I have a feeling is a bad injury.

The sixers gave that game away. Poor defense at the end of the game and 2 timeouts left with 20 second on the clock and didn’t use any of them.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #471 on: December 25, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
Let’s hope LBJ is ok but I have a feeling is a bad injury.

Man, hope he is ok too, he ain't young anymore. Freak injuries like that one can be troublesome...
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: December 26, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
Boston owns Philly

Philly can't close games.

Two trends I would love to see done away with ASAP.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: January 02, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »
I sincerely hope the Wolves put up a fight against the Celtics in Boston tonight. We're down two starters (Covington and Teague), AND Derrick Rose is out as well.

Tough to win when fully healthy. But down three main guys, this could be ugly. Towns needs to stay out of foul trouble and put up 30/20 again, and Wiggins needs to wake the F up.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #474 on: January 02, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
I think Min will put up a fight tonight. I hope it's at least a closed game.

I will be in LA/Anaheim Area late this month for NAMM and I'm planning to go see LAL-MIN game on the 24th. I never been to a Lakers home game, should be fun.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: January 02, 2019, 02:16:24 PM »
I think Min will put up a fight tonight. I hope it's at least a closed game.

I will be in LA/Anaheim Area late this month for NAMM and I'm planning to go see LAL-MIN game on the 24th. I never been to a Lakers home game, should be fun.

Just heard no Kyrie for the Celtics tonight. I mean, the Wolves are missing three guys, so they are still outgunned, but here's hoping they can give it a run.

LAL vs. Minn should be a good one, if both are healthy.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #476 on: January 02, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
Just checking in to let everyone know the Bucks have the best record starting the New Year.

As you were.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: January 02, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »
Just checking in to let everyone know the Bucks have the best record starting the New Year.

As you were.

Percentage wise, yes... but they're 1/2 game behind the Dinos.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: January 03, 2019, 08:35:16 AM »
All the Celtics fans whining that they need to get rid of Kyrie because they have better chemistry without him need to STFU, IMO. They beat my Wolves last night...without three of the Wolves' top seven players (Rose, Teague, Covington). Wiggins and KAT had big games. No one else showed up. Had Rose, Teague and Covington played, they would have beat the Celtics without Kyrie, and likely would have been a dog fight into the last minute even if Kyrie was playing.

The Celtics' "issue" is ego. They won last year, got to the playoffs, and did well, but had no "closer" to get over the hump. This year, they have their closer, who is ball dominant, and now the team stands around and watches him work, instead of moving and cutting. I've watched four Celtics games this year. Three with Kyrie, one without him. It's as plain as day.

What Brad Stevens needs to do is get these guys to play as a team when Kyrie is on the floor, and get Kyrie off the ball a bit. Tatum could initiate the offense, or Smart. Use Kyrie off the ball a bit, and get things free-flowing. It'd be dumb to trade Kyrie -- you need a superstar guy. You just need them to find a middle ground in how they play when he is on the floor. Stevens is a great coach, he'll figure it out.

As for the Wolves. Man. What a comeback in the second half. Towns and Wiggins were on fire. But their intensity on the floor was not matched by anyone else on the Wolves and the Celts (particularly Hayward) picked them apart. I was pleased to see Wiggins driving to the cup, and really making an effort on defense (he was good at his defensive rotations). Okogie was overmatched by Hayward, and Gibson and Saric looked slow.

But again, would have been a totally different game had Covington been on Hayward, and we had Rose and Teague back in the rotation. Just not sure what the answer is for the Wolves. If they don't finish January above .500, it may be time for a new coach and a system that plays to their strengths, instead of forcing the half court game on them.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #479 on: January 03, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
Sam, I need a laptop to respond! My phone won’t cut it.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: January 04, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »
Sam, I need a laptop to respond! My phone won’t cut it.  ;D

Thank God for small miracles.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: January 04, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »
Helluva time for DeRozan to get his first career 3D.  The Spurs were on fire in the 1st, and the Raps were terrible on both ends of the court.  Despite the beating, I'm sure there are more than a few Torontonians that have a bit of a smile on their face after that performance by DDR.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: January 04, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »
I love Derozan. He has an old school game he makes work in this new style NBA, and I can't get enough of it. Was glad to see him get that triple-double against TOR. Frankly, his number should be retired there immediately after he's done playing. Hopefully, they bring him back after his current contract runs out for a last year, and wrap it all up. Still five years off or whatever, but Toronto needs to do right by him.

Wolves have lost Covington for the foreseeable future. Great. Best defender on the team is out now.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: January 04, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
That's a non story.

Now what's a real story is Kevin Durant not being called out of bounds towards the end of last night's game. But Harden still got them with an absolute killshot.

And and the San Antonio crowd was terrific for Leonard's homecoming.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #485 on: January 04, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »
Kevin Durant not being called out of bounds towards the end of last night's game.

Saw that.  I don't know how they missed that.  But then again, I don't know how they missed 4 blatant Harden and Capella travels that resulted in 9 or 10* points for the Rockets either. 

*I remember one of them resulted in a 3, and I think one of the others did as well, but it may have only been a 2.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #486 on: January 04, 2019, 02:36:49 PM »
The Celtics' "issue" is ego. They won last year, got to the playoffs, and did well, but had no "closer" to get over the hump. This year, they have their closer, who is ball dominant, and now the team stands around and watches him work, instead of moving and cutting. I've watched four Celtics games this year. Three with Kyrie, one without him. It's as plain as day.

What Brad Stevens needs to do is get these guys to play as a team when Kyrie is on the floor, and get Kyrie off the ball a bit. Tatum could initiate the offense, or Smart. Use Kyrie off the ball a bit, and get things free-flowing. It'd be dumb to trade Kyrie -- you need a superstar guy. You just need them to find a middle ground in how they play when he is on the floor. Stevens is a great coach, he'll figure it out.

Sam, this has been such a strange year. Stevens is a great coach, but this is still uncharted waters for him. He's proven he can get a bunch of nobodies to overachieve, but he now has to manage a placate real star power and for others, faux star power.

Weird to think a team could add Kyrie and Hayward and GET WORSE! Doesn't make sense. I knew the Celts would win the other night as soon as I heard Kyrie would be out. Stevens has yet to manage minutes effectively for a full squad. Only when injuries have shortened his rotation for him, they have been successful. There's been a number of team meetings to get their heads out of their asses, including a highly publicized one a couple weeks ago. They're 3-2 since..

Things kind of improved when Hayward "agreed" to come off the bench. It was easy for him, he has his money. But for Rozier, Brown (who has sucked this year) and Tatum and to a lesser extent, Morris (who's been fantastic), they are all playing very selfish games. Very un-Stevens like.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #487 on: January 04, 2019, 08:12:07 PM »
Watching Celts-Mavs tonight.

Does anyone expend less energy than Deandre Jordan? :lol Holy crap!
And what's with the 70's style shorts??

Seriously, Luka Doncic is ridiculous.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #488 on: January 04, 2019, 09:50:13 PM »
As a northwest basketball fan who has been completely out of the scene since the Sonics left town, I have to say that I'm really liking the way the Blazers look so far this year.   McCollum, Lillard, and Nurkic are all looking fantastic, and Curry's got a 3 point game of his own.

Time for me to get a Rip City jersey somewhere.   :xbones
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline T-ski

« Reply #489 on: January 06, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
Minnesota fires Thibs.

Samsara, thoughts?