Author Topic: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Raptors are Champs  (Read 79272 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Lakers going for number 17
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2018, 07:40:44 AM »
Meanwhile, the most beloved team in the NBA started off its 3-peat bid in style.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2018, 08:53:29 AM »
Durant is great, but I think that Steph is their best player when healthy. Truly a joy to behold. Also, the Celtics looked really good. Excited to see them against my Raps on Friday.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
Jayson Tatum is the real deal. From skills to composure, everything screams alpha dog superstar.

Agreed. He's got the complete game. And I forget just how long he is. The scary thing about Boston is the team's depth. I don't expect Rozier to stay past this season, but it won't matter if they sign AD, or someone else. That team is built to contend for a decade or more.

And what, no one wants to do the standings rankings? Fine. Bunch of lazy prog nerds.   :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
And what, no one wants to do the standings rankings? Fine. Bunch of lazy prog nerds.   :lol

I'm tempted, but I'll do that after the winter trade window. I feel it's gonna be more balance-shifting than usual this year.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2018, 07:36:11 AM »
The Raptors looked rusty but promising last night. Once Kawhi rounds into form, I think that we will be a 60-win caliber team. Here we go!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
Wolves looked like the Wolves. Bad 4th quarter D, lack of rebounding, and just not getting it done. Might have been a different story if Towns hadn't fouled out with 8 pts and 9 rebs, but it is what it is.

Honestly, folks shouldn't fall asleep on the Spurs. DeRozan is a legit 25 ppg scorer, and so is Aldridge. You have two All Stars on that squad, great coaching, and role players that know their limits. I think they'll be a lot better than people think this year. As for my Wolves...Rose looked horrible, and Tyus Jones is not a legit NBA rotation player. Thibs didn't play Okogie, which is sorta ridiculous, given how bad Rose and Jones looked.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
Don't blame it on Towns alone, Wiggins didn't look like he had any desire to play.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2018, 11:17:09 AM »
The Raptors looked rusty but promising last night. Once Kawhi rounds into form, I think that we will be a 60-win caliber team. Here we go!

Agreed... though it's hard to describe 24/13 as needing to 'round into form'.  Tomorrow vs the Celts ought to be fun.

Come at me TAC/King.  :bringiton:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »

Agreed... though it's hard to describe 24/13 as needing to 'round into form'.  Tomorrow vs the Celts ought to be fun.

Come at me TAC/King.  :bringiton:

I'm on top.

I want to talk your breath away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2018, 12:39:52 PM »
Don't blame it on Towns alone, Wiggins didn't look like he had any desire to play.

In the 4th. Wiggins played really well the first three quarters. Even hit a couple of 3s.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
What the heck happened to the Rockets??? Are the Pelicans that good? Or did Houston just completely not show up for their own home opener?

I watched that game while I was recovering from a kidney stone procedure and I couldn’t figure out which was more painful. The final score doesn’t even reflect how bad it was. At one point the Rockets were down by 29, and the Pelicans basically phoned it in during the second half just to keep them at bay.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2018, 06:19:53 AM »
What the heck happened to the Rockets??? Are the Pelicans that good? Or did Houston just completely not show up for their own home opener?
I watched some of it. What happened is basically what everyone knew was going to happen. They lost Ariza and Mbah a Moute which leaves them with Tucker as the only really good defender. Their defense took two steps back and it showed when they switched and tried to double team. Add to that the fact that both Harden and Paul were not having a good offensive night and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Something similar happened to the Lakers yesterday, they allowed Portland to score way too much and shot bricks from 3 all night long. The shooting part doesn't surprise me given the roster they have, but it's just the start of the season and they are still getting to know each other. They should get better.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »
Houston's lack of D, and the Lakers' lack of a three-point threat is going to severely impact both those teams.

Adding Carmelo to Houston, even as a bench player, is a mistake. I can at least see what the Lakers are trying to do, but that move by Houston was DUMB. They should have paid Ariza.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
Houston's lack of D, and the Lakers' lack of a three-point threat is going to severely impact both those teams.

Adding Carmelo to Houston, even as a bench player, is a mistake. I can at least see what the Lakers are trying to do, but that move by Houston was DUMB. They should have paid Ariza.

Agreed.  Although it is WAY too early to start making predictions, I think Houston went from a team that could legitimately challenge the Warriors (and did so last season) back to just being a team that will probably get a high playoff seed, but not be a credible threat.  I think Utah may be in position to pass them up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
That was one helluva entertaining game last night.  Back and forth all night, until the Raps hit a couple of beautiful 3s from Green/Lowry (NOTHING but net - love that sound) and a 10-0 run in the final minutes - which was nice because they were 3-15 from three point land to start the game. Leonard was crap in the first half - iirc, he started 2 of 10... but still finished with another double-double at 31/10.  He missed some VERY easy shots, and could've easily had 40.  And dat double block with Green on Tatum to seal the win was VERY reminiscent of LeKing's block in the finals a few years back.

Man I wanted them to beat Boston so bad.  It's only game 2, but it made me jingle.happy.

In your face Shmegland!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2018, 05:30:40 AM »
 :lol

The C's look like they need to gel a little and also define some roles.  That will work itself out over a few weeks or so.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2018, 08:24:48 AM »

The C's look like they need to gel a little and also define some roles.  That will work itself out over a few weeks or so.

Oh for sure.  I mean, Tatum is still only in his 2nd year; Irving missed a bunch of time, and Hayward is only on his 2nd full game in 16 months - and they still outplayed the Raps for almost all of the 1st half, and held within a single possession until Green/Lowry hit back-to-back 3s with less than 3 minutes to go.

Gonna be another fun season.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
The cost of putting Kyrie and Howard back into the fold is a mild knock on last season's stellar perimeter defense. I think that's what lost the game yesterday, but nothing Stevens can't fix.

I'm liking Nurse plenty, he seems to have found the perfect way to use Ibaka in that contest. Kawhi - judging a player on both ends of the floor - is Top 3 material right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NBA thread 2018-2019 v. Rockets and Lakers brawl
« Reply #298 on: October 21, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »
I knew Rondo was a douche, but getting himself suspended only two games into the season?  He has outperformed my expectations! :lol :lol

Chris Paul is not much better (also a mega douche).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: October 21, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
No surprise with Rondo at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: October 21, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »
I knew Rondo was a douche, but getting himself suspended only two games into the season?  He has outperformed my expectations! :lol :lol

So who got to Lavar Ball? Seems the Lakers going 0-2 without Lonzo starting would've been a perfect time for the old man to throw a shot at the Lakers. Seems Lebron might have told him the first word out of his mouth and Lonzo would be gone..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: October 21, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »
Rondo spat in Paul's face.  I understand his rage.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: October 22, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »
Someone needs to tell Brandon Ingram to grow the F up. Just sayin'...

As for that whole "brawl," just put CP3 and Rondo in a fucking ring and be done with it. Anyone who has watched hoops over the last decade or so knows those two can't stand one another. THis was bound to happen. But man, what a great playoff matchup if they are seeded right and the Lakers get in.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
Assuming Rondo is still with them at that point.  I heard some analysis last week or the week before suggesting a mid-season trade where they get rid of him in favor of someone who would fit into a system better with LeBron.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
Assuming Rondo is still with them at that point.  I heard some analysis last week or the week before suggesting a mid-season trade where they get rid of him in favor of someone who would fit into a system better with LeBron.

Seems to me he fit in just fine so far, particularly against Houston. But I think what just happened, considering it was James' best friend, will ultimately make Rondo a former Laker sooner than later. And if Ball does wonders during Rondo's suspension, I expect Rondo to never regain his starting spot.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: October 23, 2018, 08:53:47 AM »
Happy Wolves fan this morning. Solid effort against the Pacers. Best defensive effort I've seen out of that team in some time. Very much needed that win, as the team heads to Toronto tomorrow. Wiggins got hurt, but apparently he's good to go for Toronto. I expect him to have a big game (Leonard is going to guard Butler most likely, so that will be a great match-up).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #306 on: October 25, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »
Bucks are 4-0 and bombing away from three.  Quite a departure from Jason Kidds philosophy of 'the closer to basket the easier to score'.

also Giannis....."I feel like so far I've been playing B basketball. I think I can be way better. I can help my teammates find open shots even more. And I'm going to keep trying to get better and try to make my teammates better."

His current averages: 29.2pts/15.6reb/7.4ast
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
Giannnis will be MVP this year. Book it. Guy is a monster. When he learns how to rain 3s...the game might change forever. If he learns how to do it quick enough. The guy who deserves a ton more credit though is Kris Middleton. I've loved that guy since he came into the league. He's finally healthy and in a system that really is tailor-made for him, particularly with so much attention on Giannis. Bucks are going to crush. Might be some bumps on the road as they learn how to win, but if they can keep that core group together and healthy, and add here and there, they might win a title or two in the next seven or eight years.

Last night's Wolves-Raptors game was really good. It was a game of big runs back and forth. Basically, no one could stop Leonard, and little things killed the Wolves. JImmy Butler missed five free throws, and Okogie was like 0-9 in the first half. And Towns was offensively asleep for three quarters. Jimmy's bricks at the line, and some rookie mistakes, combined with Towns playing uncharacteristically poorly for three quarters really put the Wolves in the hole. Any one of those three guys improves on those errors, Wolves get a huge upset win. But credit to Toronto. They kept coming. And Leonard...looks unstoppable. He made Jimmy look like a rook when they were 1 on 1.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
Looking forward to Warriors/Raptors on 11/29.  It will be interesting to see how Leonard plays when faced with an elite defense with multiple elite defenders.

Oh, and:  51

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »
Leonard knows which passing line the passer is going to choose before the passer himself. I've never seen anybody channelling prime Scottie Pippen more faithfully.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: October 25, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
Looking forward to Warriors/Raptors on 11/29.  It will be interesting to see how Leonard plays when faced with an elite defense with multiple elite defenders.

Oh, and:  51

I agree, the Warriors' defensive tandem of Durant and Green is going to challenge Leonard. Butler is on that level defensively, but the other Wolves aren't, so Leonard was brutal on switches.

I think Steph, if healthy, is going to have a great year. But I simply don't think he is going to win a third MVP award. I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but I don't think he will.

Leonard knows which passing line the passer is going to choose before the passer himself. I've never seen anybody channelling prime Scottie Pippen more faithfully.

Yeah, that's a good comparison. But I think Leonard is a better overall player than Scottie. I think he's elite offensively, whereas Scottie was very good offensively. If Leonard stays healthy for the rest of his career, and continues to play like this throughout the rest of his prime, he's a sure-fire lock for the HOF, and might be one of the best players of all time. A lot of ifs there, but the potential is certainly there. I mean, against Butler, I felt like Butler was outclassed completely...and Butler is an elite player. Not top-10, but top-15. Leonard was unphased.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »
I think Steph, if healthy, is going to have a great year. But I simply don't think he is going to win a third MVP award. I wouldn't be surprised if he did, but I don't think he will.

Not that I am pitying him or anyone else on the Warriors one bit, but it is really tough to win an MVP award on a team that is that stacked and where the expectations are that high, whether he "deserves" it or not.  There was some really good discussion about that on KNBR early this morning as I was driving in, and I wholeheartedly agree.  It was basically what I said, but obviously went much deeper than that.  Where you have one guy that is *the* difference maker in terms of whether his team is a contender or a complete bust, that is where the MVP votes most often go.  And that's fair.  No complaints from me.  But part of me does wish he would get a bit of a harder look.  Curry is absolutely the MVP of the Warriors, notwithstanding Durant's addition.  I'm not sure a Durant/Thompson/Green-led team is a perennial championship contender.  I think a Durant-less Curry/Thompson/Green-led team is.  Curry makes the other players around him, Durant included, better.  And their scheme really is based around him, including the defense. 

And while we're on the subject, Curry does not get NEARLY the credit he deserves for his defensive skills.  He is, without a doubt, one of the best in his position on defense.  It's just that that gets overshadowed when you have the other defenders the Warriors have.  And it gets overshadowed when Curry looks so "small" when standing next to those other players.  But as I pointed out last championship series, for example, he was playing lights-out defense even when switched onto LeBron, the most dominant player in the game right now.  It wasn't flashy and didn't manifest itself in blocked shots.  But more often than not, he either directly made LeBron pass rather than shoot, or forced LeBron to where the defensive help was, which again often forced LeBron to pass rather than shoot. 

I would boil his defensive assets down to maybe three areas:  (1) He's deceptively strong for his size, and doesn't get backed down or pushed out of the play nearly as often as one might expect a player of his size.  (2) He is a very smart defensive player.  He understands angles and understands where his help is, as well as understanding when he is needed to provide help, and that alone takes away a lot of open looks for players that thrive on open looks or open lanes.  (3) He is really quick, which allows him to either steal or disrupt shots or dribbles, even if he doesn't get a steal or block on a given play.  It also helps him on switches and helps him get around screens that a lot of guys don't have the ability to avoid. 

Again, most of that isn't flashy, so it doesn't get noticed.  And it isn't likely to when you've got Green, Thompson, and Durant playing strong D as well.  But being the third best defender on this team is quite the accomplishment.  And when you couple that with what he brings on the offensive side of the ball and what he brings in terms of team chemistry, I can't say that anyone on the team is more valuable than him--not even Durant.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: October 25, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
Curry is underrated defensively. If there was one knock, it was that he wasn't strong. But he's come back stronger this year. YOu just need to look at his body, and you see it. He's a pest on D, and needs more credit for it.

And yeah, completely agree on the logic behind how the MVP award votes go. Makes sense. I will say this about the Warriors. I think people forget sometimes -- The Warriors won an NBA title with Curry...before Durant came. Curry carried that team. He can do it again if need be (and he might in 2019-2020). I'm not saying Durant IS leaving, because personally, I think financially that's a dumb move. But I certainly could see him wondering if maybe he should be go back to where HE grew up, and maybe unite with John Wall and Bradley Beal and see if he can lead his hometown team to a title. If I were a betting man, I'd say he'd stay in GS. But nobody talks about the Wizards, and Durant's hometown. He's getting to that age where he might want to do something like that, like Lebron did when he came back to CLeveland to get it done.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #313 on: October 25, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »

Yeah, that's a good comparison. But I think Leonard is a better overall player than Scottie. I think he's elite offensively, whereas Scottie was very good offensively...

I'm a bit on the fence about that. Kawhi seems the superior scorer so far (with a big asterisk due to different rules), while - again, so far - Scottie was the superior passer. We shall see. Anyway, HoF material.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: October 25, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
You're right. I wasn't considering that. Good point.