Author Topic: Great Second/Sophomore Studio Albums in Rock? (Prog or otherwise)  (Read 2529 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Great Second/Sophomore Studio Albums in Rock? (Prog or otherwise)
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
Some good ones.  Here are a few that come to mind that have not been mentioned:

Telsa:  The Great Radio Controversy
Skid Row:  Slave To the Grind
Badlands:  Voodoo Highway
Cinderella:  Long Cold Winter
Stryper:  Soldiers Under Command
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Man your own jackhammers, as they say...
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
Unless I’ve missed it, how has Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 not been mentioned yet?
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
It might have something to do with the fact that nobody likes that band.  But I'm totally just guessing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Hello Antichrist Superstar, it’s been a hot minute!
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »
That’s cool. I’ll just sit alone here with The Downward Spiral and other stupid opinions.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
That’s cool. I’ll just sit alone here with The Downward Spiral and other stupid opinions.

:lol  Just messing with you.  I don't care for them, but I understand that they are pretty highly regarded.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Unless you think that’s a stupid idea, of course
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »

:lol  Just messing with you.  I don't care for them, but I understand that they are pretty highly regarded.

Has it been so long that you’ve forgotten I kinda get off on being put down? Apparently I need to come back more frequently!

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
:lol  Yeah, no doubt.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
LHK you son of a ........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:04 AM »

MSG - MSG

Must've been  this morning when I posted. This is the obvious one. One of my favorite albums of all time.

AC/DC - High Voltage (Favorite AC/DC record, and a top 25 record all time for me)
Dream Theater - Images and Words (Favorite DT record, and maybe a top ten all time record for me)

Iron Maiden - Killers (Favorite Maiden album along with Powerslave, and probably a top 25 album all time for me)

Have you done a Top 50 Thread yet?

No, but I should.  I'm in the process now of burning all my CDs to a network drive, so nows the time.  Maybe I'll get on that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »
A little Canadian love here.

I Mother Earth - Scenery & Fish

Our Lady Peace - Clumsy
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline krands85

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
Many I thought of have already been mentioned - Images and Words, Ride the Lightning, Visions, Toxicity, Around the Fur, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven. A few others:

Origin of Symmetry - Muse
Altered State - Tesseract
The Fullness of Time - Redemption
The Bends - Radiohead

I'd say all of these are my favourite or second favourite albums by the bands.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
A little Canadian love here.

I Mother Earth - Scenery & Fish

Our Lady Peace - Clumsy

GREAT call.  What an excellent, underrated band.    "4am" is a legendary song (it's a song "for A.M."; Raine's dad's name is "Anthony Maida"). 

I was surprised to hear that they finally put an album out earlier this year (I think the last one was 2010 or something like that). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
I still follow them as well.  I saw them in the weirdest place and to this day the lead singer Raine talks about it in interviews.

It was for WBCN in Boston and they were playing on this little boat in the middle of a lagoon in the center of the outside part of the Cambridge Side Galleria mall.   We were all surrounding the edges of the lagoon/pond.  So damn weird.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »
I still follow them as well.  I saw them in the weirdest place and to this day the lead singer Raine talks about it in interviews.

It was for WBCN in Boston and they were playing on this little boat in the middle of a lagoon in the center of the outside part of the Cambridge Side Galleria mall.   We were all surrounding the edges of the lagoon/pond.  So damn weird.

I don't know if "friends" is the right word, but there was a DJ here in Hartford, John Osterlind (WCCC-FM, the first big market home of Howard Stern) that was "friends" with OLP and always talked them up.  Later, when he moved to Boston - WAAF-FM - he would have them in the studio often.  That's where I first heard of them and have liked them ever since.   They kind of lost me a little when Bob Rock came on board, and Raine changed how he sang - I like that quirky way he sings - but I certainly understand it. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
I listened to him all the time on WAAF.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
LHK you son of a ........

Go ahead, strike me down. I will only become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:49 AM »
Tool - Aenima

Don't know how I missed this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta

:facepalm: How did I miss that one! Such a good album! For me, they peaked with Frances - I just did not find any of their albums after it to be as good as that, even though I own every single one of them (bought on release week in the hopes that they'd produce something equal to or better than FTM).

Genesis - Trespass
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus (or Pictures, depends if you wanna count that as a regular album. Both are fantastic)
Haken - Visions (although it's my least fav Haken album - which really doesn't mean much...)

I thought about putting Genesis in my original post, but considering just HOW different they were between FGTR and Trespass, it didn't seem much of a fair comparison to say that their second album was great since many fans consider it their first true album since FGTR is so different from any of their earlier albums with Peter.

ELP is a good choice, though, and Haken as well. Visions is probably my favorite of their albums so far!

Nothing to do, so I checked some.
*SNIP*

I asked for *great* second albums, not every sophomore album you own!  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!