Author Topic: How often do you give music a second chance?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
How often do you give music a second chance?
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:43:54 AM »
Had a discussion recently with someone about a band I had listened to many, many years ago, and have decided since that said band just isn't my cup of tea. Wasn't interested in giving them another shot, but I listened anyway, and was still uninterested. But, after years of not being into Rush, I had a sudden urge to give them a chance, and ended up loving them. That's one of the key factors: I have to be interested in giving them a chance. Someone telling me to check them out when I'm not in the mood? Nah, it's probably gonna push me away, actually!

How often do you come back to a band to give them another listen? Does it depends on how many albums they have, or a new one coming out? Word of mouth from a friend? Generally, if I hear something and don't like it, I won't revisit it unless it's a huge band that I feel I am misunderstanding (like Rush). There's too much music to discover to spend time forcing myself to like something I don't - unless I'm doing a roulette here :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: How often do you give music a second chance?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:00:06 PM »
It absolutely cannot be forced; I totally agree with that.

The great thing about the Internet nowadays is that you can try stuff out. If I'm going to part with money to buy an album, it's 90% likely that I'm familiar with, and like, something the artist has done. It might be a new band made up of one or more members of bands I'm already familiar with, so I kinda know what I'm getting.

When it comes to new albums from bands I'm already familiar with, more often than not they sink in reasonably quickly, although one or two have taken a bit longer, like Circa's Valley of the Windmill from 2016. I've bought albums from Kaipa, Nad Sylvan and Ozric Tentacles this year that I haven't majorly gotten into yet, but I feel they should work their magic eventually, when I give them the time.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
Sometimes I go back to bands I wasn't keen on in the past and see if I like them now and usually I don't but tastes change over time so who knows

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
I think we had one or two topics like that already. I will post my thoughts later.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
I think we had one or two topics like that already. I will post my thoughts later.

Yeah, well, Simpsons have already done everything, man.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »
Depends if it's a new band, or a band I already listen and know and makes an album that is offputting at first.

Generally I would give more chances to albums that may interest me for a variety of reasons: a concept album with a topic that interests me greatly, a folk album with an instrument I love, a previous album from a band that now made an album I happen to love ("hey, let's see if now I like the previous one better")... if I feel I "should" like an album I will give it more attempts, but of course you can't take blood from a stone, if I don't like something, I don't.

If I listen to an album just with no other reason than checking it out, and I don't like it, well that's probably it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
I don't at all ever force music I don't like, but I'm also a student of music to a degree and I like hearing progressions.  I never got Hendrix at all growing up - I loved Kiss, Kiss loved Zeppelin, The Who and Clapton, so there you go... - but as I understood more and more of the artists I loved citing him I wanted to know why.  So I would periodically check him out.  And as I heard more, it made more sense.   Same with the Dead.   

Rush Grace Under Pressure is there too.  I LOVE Rush.  I think Alex is WAYYY underrated, so periodically I check in on p/g to see if it has anything new to offer given all I've heard in the interim. 

People change, perceptions change, context changes... so while I don't force anything, I will often see if the other variables have changed my perception of a piece of work.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »
Depends on my relationship with the band.  If it's a band I already like, I am more willing to give more listens to say a new album (or an older album if I am backtracking the catalog).  Also, if a friend or someone who's music taste I trust (as in they listen/like similar music to me) then I am more likely to give a recommended band a second shot.

However, if it's a band I just stumbled upon on my own and didn't find it interesting, it's much more unlikely I will go back to it.

Also, if it's a band I saw live and was unimpressed, I am less likely to give a second chance.  I feel like I am much more easily won over in a live setting, so if you can't get me to like you there, I find it much more unlikely I will like listening to an album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »
If it's a band I already like, I am more willing to give more listens to say a new album (or an older album if I am backtracking the catalog). 

However, if it's a band I just stumbled upon on my own and didn't find it interesting, it's much more unlikely I will go back to it.

Sounds about right for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
People change, perceptions change, context changes... so while I don't force anything, I will often see if the other variables have changed my perception of a piece of work.

I've had the same experience. Sometimes I think that I simply wasn't ready to digest what I was hearing until my ear had matured.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 04:47:39 PM »
I don't give bands too many chances anymore.  From my years of listening, I think I have a pretty good judgement on what might stick and what might not.  Doesn't mean I'm not open to trying a certain band again, but if I pass, I won't make a conscious effort to try again.  A song would just have to pop up for me to show some interest again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 06:29:48 PM »
I don't give bands too many chances anymore.  From my years of listening, I think I have a pretty good judgement on what might stick and what might not.  Doesn't mean I'm not open to trying a certain band again, but if I pass, I won't make a conscious effort to try again.  A song would just have to pop up for me to show some interest again.

Bingo.  There's two answers really - established / known bands that I already follow, I'll give them 3, 4, 5 chances to see if something clicks. The Astonishing for example - I tried my ass off to like that, but it just wasn't happening.  Other A-List DTF acts (Haken, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson) have all received their fair share of time from me.  I ain't goin back to them. 

Completely new bands either by discovery or recommendation, they get 1 chance to at least mildly impress me.  Otherwise, it's on to the next discovery.  There's just too much incredible music out there to listen to, I'm not going to waste my precious time with mediocrity in the hopes that it might click.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »

Bingo.  There's two answers really - established / known bands that I already follow, I'll give them 3, 4, 5 chances to see if something clicks. The Astonishing for example - I tried my ass off to like that, but it just wasn't happening.  Other A-List DTF acts (Haken, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson) have all received their fair share of time from me.  I ain't goin back to them. 

Completely new bands either by discovery or recommendation, they get 1 chance to at least mildly impress me.  Otherwise, it's on to the next discovery.  There's just too much incredible music out there to listen to, I'm not going to waste my precious time with mediocrity in the hopes that it might click.

Yes, bands I already like get a lot more listens than new bands I don't know also.  The Astonishing however I think I only tried it maybe 3 times tops, what a disappointment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 11:04:57 PM »
I don't really have any specific guidelines about this.  Like others have said, if it's a band i already like, I give something of theirs that I don't like more chances.  Otherwise, if it's something I strongly dislike, it'll be rare that I give that band or album a second chance.  If I never had much of an opinion, or only mildly disliked something, it all just depends on my mood.  If I read a glowing review my curiosity might be piqued, or I might roll my eyes and move on.  If a bunch of friends all love it and are really excited about it, I might check it out as well, but have to wait until the time is right and I don't have a strong desire to play something else.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 06:24:49 AM »
Yes, bands I already like get a lot more listens than new bands I don't know also.  The Astonishing however I think I only tried it maybe 3 times tops, what a disappointment.

Agreed. Familiar or bands that I like get cut a little more slack.  For example, Pain of Salvation's newest album.  First listen I felt it had a lot of potential, but it quickly petered out for me.  I recently re-visited it and it's still a yawner for me.  Like Chad said, if it's a new band, they wouldn't get that second chance.  There's too much other great music out there to get caught up in mediocrity.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 08:47:48 AM »
If it's a band I don't remember hating outright I probably would give them a second chance, or if it's a band that I should love but for some reason they don't click with me at first I'll try again later.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 08:53:57 AM »
Interesting responses!

Yeah, I feel like I've heard enough music in my life to generally know if I like something on the first listen or not, if it's a style I'm pretty familiar with. If it's some totally off the wall genre I would probably me more lenient since I don't know much about it, but if I come across a prog metal band and it's not clicking, I likely won't listen to them again.

I hope there's Spotify in the afterlife...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
Usually after a couple of years if I feel my tastes have changed enough to be able to see them under a different light, mostly if it's a genre I'm not very familiar with. But if it's, say, a prog metal or trip-hop track, I can know pretty quick whether or not it's worth revisiting.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:42 AM »
Usually with me, there has to be some spark of interest on the first listen, or it's not gonna happen. Even with stuff that's a grower, there has to be something on first listen to make me come back and listen to it again.

I think there's an element of time/age/maturity too. For instance, if I had've heard the likes of Rush or Pink Floyd in my teens, I would have probably rejected it straight away, but nowadays I'd be more likely to give something like that a try.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
Had a discussion recently with someone about a band I had listened to many, many years ago, and have decided since that said band just isn't my cup of tea. Wasn't interested in giving them another shot, but I listened anyway, and was still uninterested. But, after years of not being into Rush, I had a sudden urge to give them a chance, and ended up loving them. That's one of the key factors: I have to be interested in giving them a chance. Someone telling me to check them out when I'm not in the mood? Nah, it's probably gonna push me away, actually!
I had similar experiences with albums/bands.

I think it is very important to give second chances. Your state of mind at the moment can deeply influence how much or if you are going to enjoy what you listen to (the same goes for movies). Therefore, if I listen to an album and I don't like it, I will put it aside for a while and try to listen to it in a different circumstance or place. Lots of times it is just a question of digesting it properly. The album has to have something that interests me, of course.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
At least five times, but usually more.