Author Topic: Rock/metal fans tend to dislike hip-hop music and vice versa?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline WildRanger

It's a fact that most rock and metal fans(not all, but most) can't stand hip-hop music and most hip-hop fans can't stand rock/metal.

What you think about this? Is it contrary for some persons to be fans of both genres, because they are a big minority?
Do rock and hip-hop have to be such a two big rival genres?

Offline Lowdz

Re: Rock/metal fans tend to dislike hip-hop music and vice versa?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Because they have nothing in common?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:53:53 AM »
The last band I was in, our drummer loved metal and hip hop both. He wanted our band to go in more of a metal direction, as we were mostly hard rock. We gave him a solo spot during our shows where he did a drum solo, then a rap. He did both quit well and the rap section he did was always a crowd pleaser.. lol!  He still plays metal and hip-hop to this day.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DTA

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
The closest I get to liking rap is Childish Gambino, Deftones, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I guess it's because I tend to focus more on the overall "sound" of the vocals and music rather than the lyrics themselves. There's songs I've heard 1000 times where I can hum along with every nuance of the vocal melody and instruments but I couldn't tell you what the actual words are. Rap just seems very lyric-oriented and devoid of melodic variation. It's great rhythmically, but I need the melodic parts in there to really connect.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
I like some rap and my enjoyment of rock and metal does not affect my enjoyment of rap or any other style of music, I'm just not as drawn toward many elements of rap music. I like the more interesting stuff like the jazz stylings of Kendrick Lamar on TPAB etc.

Good music is good music, but the genres have nearly nothing in common so it should be obvious why there's such a split there for most people
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »
I love Eminem but that’s about the extent of me actually enjoying hip hop.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »
Calling them "rival genres" implies they're vying for the same audience, and they're clearly not. If anything, hip-hop and pop would be rivals as they're both more mainstream and most rock, especially anything metal. As much as we love metal here, I think it's safe to say it doesn't get as much of the public reach as hip-hop or pop music does world wide.

I think metal and rock fans mostly don't gravitate towards hip-hop because rock fans are usually instrumentalists who enjoy rock for the musical and instrumental parts of the genre, where as hip-hop is more focused on image, feel and flow, and less on instrumental composition, more in lyrical and thematic content.

But there have been plenty of crossovers here and there, much to the dismay of fans on both sides, but to call them rivals seems very misleading. Personally, I don't dislike hip-hop and in fact it has its merits, I just prefer rock and metal. However, I'd take both over the increasingly uncreative country music ANY day...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:03:31 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:45 PM »
I love me some good Hip-Hop. Outkast, Bone Thugs, Wax...their is good stuff out there with awesome music behind it.

And I love me some Metal...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline dparrott

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
I got into rap years before I started liking metal/rock.  Before that it was Duran Duran and Weird Al.  Living Colour was my first non-pop band because they were black and I loved Corey's voice.

Most rock fans don't consider rap "music" because there is mostly no singing and/or actual instruments involved.  There are both singing and actual instruments in hip hop, but it may take some digging to find artists who do that.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
Well this is going to be controversial but I think it's because the two genres have a lot more in common than fans of either would like to admit. Both are rooted heavily in African American music (at least early Rock), both rely heavily on attitude and energy, both started out with a strong anti-establishment ethos before becoming accepted into the mainstream. It seems like human nature to create a rivalry between two sides of the same coin.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
Calling them "rival genres" implies they're vying for the same audience, and they're clearly not. If anything, hip-hop and pop would be rivals as they're both more mainstream and most rock, especially anything metal. As much as we love metal here, I think it's safe to say it doesn't get as much of the public reach as hip-hop or pop music does world wide.

I think metal and rock fans mostly don't gravitate towards hip-hop is because rock fans are usually instrumentalists who enjoy rock for the musical and instrumental parts of the genre, where as hip-hop is more focused on image, feel and flow, and less on instrumental composition, more in lyrical and thematic content.

While I agree with the second paragraph here, I think there is somewhat of an overlap between the audiences of metal and rap. At least in terms of demographics. They both seem to primarily by men aged 16-50, especially younger men (16-24). Rap hits harder in that youngest age group, and metal hits harder with older men (35-54). They also have overlaps with Electronic Dance Music, interestingly enough. Pop (or at least modern pop) mostly leans towards young women in that 16-35 age group.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
It all comes down to musical maturity and how interested you are in music. If you are happy to be fed from what plays on the radio or what your friends like to hear or what is trendy, then you won't go very far, musically speaking. And that's ok. You don't have to do anything you don't want. If you don't have a strong interest in music, there is nothing wrong with that.

Rock and metal fans tend to be a bit more interested, they seem to go to a higher level. They usually don't like everything they hear on the radio and they are more curious to go after new bands. Which is not to say they are superior or better. There is no such thing. Most rock/metal listeners don't go very far though.

Then you have people who really love music and are constantly trying to discover new genres, new bands and they practically don't care for what is trendy, what is acceptable to like or not. They live in their own world. And they usually like a whole lot of different genres of music.

Hip-hop, rock and metal fans can also have those qualities. They are not inherent and inseparable from these 3 "groups". But normally it is like that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »
It all comes down to musical maturity and how interested you are in music. If you are happy to be fed from what plays on the radio or what your friends like to hear or what is trendy, then you won't go very far, musically speaking. And that's ok. You don't have to do anything you don't want. If you don't have a strong interest in music, there is nothing wrong with that.

Rock and metal fans tend to be a bit more interested, they seem to go to a higher level. They usually don't like everything they hear on the radio and they are more curious to go after new bands. Which is not to say they are superior or better. There is no such thing. Most rock/metal listeners don't go very far though.

Then you have people who really love music and are constantly trying to discover new genres, new bands and they practically don't care for what is trendy, what is acceptable to like or not. They live in their own world. And they usually like a whole lot of different genres of music.

Hip-hop, rock and metal fans can also have those qualities. They are not inherent and inseparable from these 3 "groups". But normally it is like that.

That post explains a lot re: our conversation about "good" and "bad".   I don't at all agree with things like "musical maturity", at least when it comes to "liking" things.   I'd like to consider myself very well-schooled in terms of music, but I like what I like.   I fully understand that Cheap Trick or Oasis are extremely derivative bands, but I put on Heaven Tonight and I lose myself for 40 minutes, every time.  I've listened to that record 1,000 times if I've listened to it once, and with critical ears I can literally point out the influence of every song (In Color is worse, one song - Big Eyes - even copping an entire verse from Bob Dylan) and yet it moves me.   

I don't particularly listen to much rap because a) I can't identify with the emphasis on rhythm over melody, and b) I can't really identify with the instrumentation of the material.  But I make no bones about being swept away by "Wildest Dreams" by Taylor Swift.  How does that fly with this notion of "not liking what is typically on radio"?  What does "being on radio" have to do with it?  I think it's amazing that she set down music that touched THAT MANY people.  I think that's a skill to be admired. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »
A lot of it comes down to lifestyle differences. Rap is heavily focused on lifestyle, lyrics, image, and a certain 'mood' rather than technical wizardry. I like vocalists to enunciate their words - lots of rappers don't do that, particularly in certain subgenres - and a lot of the instrumentation is super cheap, basic, and samples other artists, which doesn't impress me (Lil Wayne sampled 2 Stratovarius songs. I'm still in shock at that, all these years later). Rappers who actually put some artistry into the music and do something fresh or something at least a little sophisticated with it really appeals to me, but even then, it's hard for me, personally, to relate to much of it because my lifestyle is just... nothing like that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
Lost in Vegas kind of defy this stereotype.

Another channel, Myke C Town does as well, although he seems to hate most Prog/Prog Metal, but loves Punk and Hardcore.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 10:10:40 AM »
It's a fact that most rock and metal fans(not all, but most) can't stand hip-hop music and most hip-hop fans can't stand rock/metal.

No, it really isn't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »

These are certainly facts (plural), but they're not necessarily true facts, and I'm not at all willing to accept either of these assertions as true.

What you think about this? Is it contrary for some persons to be fans of both genres, because they are a big minority?
Do rock and hip-hop have to be such a two big rival genres?

Putting aside my disagreement with the stated premise, I couldn't give a big, fat, flying rat's ass what types of music other folks like.  If you want to like hip-hop and metal, that's great for you.  If you want to like metal and dislike hip-hop (like me), that's cool too.  If you want to like hip-hop and not like metal and also like Uzbeki goat herding music...also cool.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »

These are certainly facts (plural), but they're not necessarily true facts, and I'm not at all willing to accept either of these assertions as true.

OK. Now tell me, can you deny that the vast majority of Black Americans are into hip-hop music and not into rock/metal at all?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »

OK. Now tell me, can you deny that the vast majority of Black Americans are into hip-hop music and not into rock/metal at all?

Here we go...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »

I'm quite capable of denying anything, but I am not either arrogant or foolish enough to speculate about what "the vast majority of Black Americans are into."

I would agree that there is a not insignificant intersection of the sets of "Black Americans" and "people who like hip-hop music."  I do not agree that there is little or no intersection of the sets of "people who like hip-hop music" and "people who like at least some rock/metal music."  All I can say with any certainty is that I am not in the intersection of those two sets but that my wife is (and I believe both of my children are) squarely in that intersection.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
All this is speculation.    I'm sure we could say something about "black Americans" and the blues, or jazz, or Motown, too.   And all I know is, my step son - about as white as you can get and not be called "Elric" or "Johnny Winter" - gave me a box of CDs to sell on eBay, about 150, and the VAST majority of them were rap/hip-hop.  That's all his girlfriend listens to (also white).   

But what does that have to do with the intersection of two genres?  The guy from Run DMC was on Sammy Hagar's show a couple months ago and laid down an absolutely KILLER version of "Rock Candy".    Nailed the f*** out of it.   I think creating artificial boundaries where they don't belong is perhaps counter-productive without some stats to back it up and a legit premise to present.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 05:14:58 PM »
That post explains a lot re: our conversation about "good" and "bad".   I don't at all agree with things like "musical maturity", at least when it comes to "liking" things.
It depends on what you think musical maturity means. For me, the more genres you are exposed to and are interested in, the more tolerant of different, weird, out-of-the-box music you become and the easier it is to digest and like those kinds of music. And that for me defines musical maturity. It doesn't mean you like everything. I also like what I like. But 15 years ago I only listened to metal and I can assure you that if I was to listen to the bands and kind of music I listen to nowadays, I would have certainly hated every single song. There are albums that I hated upon listening and I forgot them, only to "remember" them years after and find that they are really good. What changed? My taste? Maybe. During those years I've been listening to a lot of different things and so my taste "evolved". I can guarantee you if I had continued to listen only to metal, I would find the same album boring again and again. How can you go anywhere if you are standing still?

If you only like metal, metal, metal and you have no interest in going beyond that, of course you will have the tendency to dislike a different genre when you listen to it. It is as if you train yourself to become mechanical and any new thing is looked upon with distrust, as an "intruser" to this habit, because it violates the mechanical rules of operation "metal metal metal" or whatever.   

But I make no bones about being swept away by "Wildest Dreams" by Taylor Swift.  How does that fly with this notion of "not liking what is typically on radio"?  What does "being on radio" have to do with it?  I think it's amazing that she set down music that touched THAT MANY people.  I think that's a skill to be admired.
I don't know where I said that you are not allowed to like what plays on the radio. What I meant was that the radio is a very limited area musically. They only play what sells, what makes money, what is trendy. Hell, even classics of rock are RARELY played. And if you only listen to the radio and nothing else, then your definition of music will automatically be VERY limited, because there is a world of music out there that will NEVER be played on the radio. Radio for me is like fast-food music. Simple, repetitive, auto-tuned, robotic, easy.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
All this is speculation.    I'm sure we could say something about "black Americans" and the blues, or jazz, or Motown, too.   And all I know is, my step son - about as white as you can get and not be called "Elric" or "Johnny Winter" - gave me a box of CDs to sell on eBay, about 150, and the VAST majority of them were rap/hip-hop.  That's all his girlfriend listens to (also white).   

But what does that have to do with the intersection of two genres?  The guy from Run DMC was on Sammy Hagar's show a couple months ago and laid down an absolutely KILLER version of "Rock Candy".    Nailed the f*** out of it.   I think creating artificial boundaries where they don't belong is perhaps counter-productive without some stats to back it up and a legit premise to present.

That's probably DMC.  He's been doing a lot of rap/metal hybrid songs lately.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.