Author Topic: Your "Boy, was I wrong!" moments in music  (Read 2456 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Your "Boy, was I wrong!" moments in music
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 10:33:11 AM »
 :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
i used to like music.

boy, was i wrong!

Offline JLa

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2018, 01:06:12 PM »
Listened to Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun. "Why is everyone on  the interwebz raving over this generic pop shit"

Enter Stupid Dream a few years later. Ok I get it now.

Offline emtee

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »
Marillion and Opeth.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 05:12:04 PM »
I was late on the Iron Maiden bandwagon.  When I was in high school in the late eighties, I was put off by the Maiden artwork and thought the Eddie thing was just silly. I was also under the wrong impression that they were on the dark side, lol!
 I went to see them in 2010 because Dream Theater was touring with them.  I actually liked Maiden after seeing them live.  The first album I bought was Dance of Death and got hooked. I've been working my way backwards through their catalog from Modern to classic. It's all great music with alot of depth.. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »
I was late on the Iron Maiden bandwagon.  When I was in high school in the late eighties, I was put off by the Maiden artwork and thought the Eddie thing was just silly. I was also under the wrong impression that they were on the dark side, lol!
 I went to see them in 2010 because Dream Theater was touring with them.  I actually liked Maiden after seeing them live.  The first album I bought was Dance of Death and got hooked. I've been working my way backwards through their catalog from Modern to classic. It's all great music with alot of depth.. :metal

:clap:

Highschool in the late 80's? Man, that was a great time to be a Maiden fan too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:39 PM »
I was late to Maiden too as In the late 80s/90s I thought they were thrash, akin to Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, bands and a genre I was not interested in at all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 06:16:04 PM »
It's funny how we can cut ourselves short because of pre-conceived ideas.  I've learned to have a much more open mind these days which has allowed me to discover alot of great music.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
My introduction to Pain of Salvation was a random purchase of 12:5. Not a great introduction to the band, so I just didn't like it much. Ignored them for years before checking out something else. Now they're my favorite band.

Similar to Devin Townsend. I saw Ziltoid at a record shop and thought it looked dumb and ignored him till I finally heard some of his stuff. Now, while I still think Terria is on the lower end of his records, I love that dude so much.

Also Stadler. I used to agree with him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »
Also Stadler. I used to agree with him.

See, I'm the opposite.  I thought Stads was a right-wing antagonist, arguing any little issue that smelled left-of-center - just because he could argue it.  Boy, was I (mostly) wrong.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
I don't think I've ever thought "I was wrong."  That I have, on occasion, changed my mind about something doesn't mean I was wrong.

When I was in high school, my two best friends and I frequented a non-chain record store with a huge inventory of stuff you'd never see in Music + or the Wherehouse.  When there was nothing new out from an established band, we'd often buy something we'd never heard of and then share with each other.  One of my friends bought Ride the Lightning.  He loved it immediately and we'd listen regularly on our commute to school.  I hated it at first -- mostly because of James's singing.  Sometime after we graduated (June 1985), I heard Creeping Death on the radio or in some other context and thought, "hey, that's not as bad as I remember."  I borrowed RtL from my friend and completely changed my mind.

The other thing that isn't quite on topic, but about which I really was wrong was after I got my first stereo unit for my birthday in October 1981.  It was one of those combo units with a turntable, a cassette deck and an 8-track player.  I joined the Columbia Record and Tape club and selected 8-track as my preferred format.  I don't think I ever got another 8-track after I got my initial seven albums for a penny.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
Well, the first time I listened to DT I just didn't feel it. It's not that I thought it was bad, but it just didn't click with me at any level. Boy was I wrong  :lol

Also this

I guess Phil Collins... when I got into Genesis and prog overall, I always read everywhere "boooohhhh Phil ruined Genesis he made them a pop band"... so other's opinions became my opinion as well. I needed years to realize that
1. of course Phil Collins wasn't the one who made Genesis a pop band
2. this was a logical transition and Genesis never completely abandoned their roots
3. 80s Genesis are goooood!
4. Phil's solo stuff is also gooooood!!!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2018, 12:04:44 PM »
I'll go the comedy route and say, I thought Stu Block would be a worthy successor to Matt Barlow. Boy, was I wrong! I can tolerate his singing in studio on most of what they released so far (I can't place all the blame on him as some of the songs just suck), but live he is horrible. His way of singing sounds downright silly and ruins the old material. Just look up The Coming Curse. It's embarrassing. I can't understand how Schaffer can be ok with his live singing at the very least.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
I'll go the comedy route and say, I thought Stu Block would be a worthy successor to Matt Barlow. Boy, was I wrong! I can tolerate his singing in studio on most of what they released so far (I can't place all the blame on him as some of the songs just suck), but live he is horrible. His way of singing sounds downright silly and ruins the old material. Just look up The Coming Curse. It's embarrassing. I can't understand how Schaffer can be ok with his live singing at the very least.

Not to the same extent but I do agree with this. Stu live is... weird. His inflection is very irritating too, silly as you said.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »

Not to the same extent but I do agree with this. Stu live is... weird. His inflection is very irritating too, silly as you said.

I've been saying since Dante's Inferno 2011, he sounds like he's singing with food in his mouth. The forced baritone, twang Volbeat thing he's doing doesn't help either. I know this is Schaffer's direction, but that just makes me question his motives. I'm sure he doesn't want to go through the vocal auditions again nor does he want to lose his best friend, but damn dude, just tell him to sing in his natural voice. I'm sure he can sing the old stuff just fine without trying to mimic Barlow and he can probably do it better than Ripper. Why the forced Barlow, tough guy twang? Schaffer once said he hears Ripper`s voice when writing. That alone brings some questions, but if that's the case, why is he having Stu force a baritone voice that doesn't sound natual?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »
I did this with Suede's first album.  I liked the singles but I dismissed the album at first.  Then liked it later.  That's the only one I can think of.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.