Author Topic: Your "Boy, was I wrong!" moments in music  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Your "Boy, was I wrong!" moments in music
« on: June 08, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »
What are those moments where you felt a certain way about an artist, song, or album, only to later revise your opinion and smack your head saying "boy, was I wrong!"

When I was first getting in to Nightwish, I was enamored with Tarja's voice and how well it worked with the music. Then I heard songs with some gruff-sounding dude singing, and I was all "hey, buddy, quit ruining these songs, I want to hear more of Tarja!" Boy, was I wrong! Marco's vocals add so much depth to the music, now I want to hear more from him!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your "Boy, was I wrong!" moments in music
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:34:09 PM »
I've got a Native Construct song in my roulette and thought it was awful. One of the worst songs I received in the whole roulette, if not the worst. So I recently decided to listen to the whole album because I thought, hey, the whole thing can't be that bad, right?

Boy, was I wrong!

(I know this isn't quite what the thread is about, but I just couldn't resist)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:35:46 PM »
 :rollin

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 02:08:55 AM »
I used to hate the Queensryche album Empire when I first heard it. I was like "ugh, where's the energy in any of these songs, I don't wanna hear this AOR garbage". The only Queensryche album I'd heard at the time was OM, & hearing Empire put me off listening through the rest of the discography for about a year (until it finally grew on me).

I also had a similar reaction to the Metallica album Load. It didn't put me off listening to other Metallica albums (since I knew a lot of fans hated it too), but now it ranks as one of their top 5 imo & Hero Of The Day is one of my favourite songs.

That's about all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's a ton more that I'm forgetting, so I might post again if I remember anything else.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:58:14 AM »
The only example I can think is not about thinking something sucks while it doesn't, but more indifference.

We all know those bands that yes, we listen to them, maybe have some albums, but we're not really big fans, just casual, even if repetitive, listeners.... that grey area above "don't care" but well below "I'm a big fan".

I was listening to Therion, never saw them live, and they were playing in my town and a german friend insisted "go see them", but I didn't care to go, also because they were co-headlining with Grave Digger, another band I follow but not to the point of paying for each and every single concert of them (festivals is where it's good to see them).

So I didn't go to see Therion in my town, eventually I saw them at Wacken and.... OH. MY. GOD. They kicked ass! they blew me away!! they were so great and entertaining on stage that they basically made me a fan thanks to their performance, and I never missed their italian concerts since. First thing I did after the concert was looking for my friend and tell her that she was right and I was wrong and that I should have seen Therion live  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 03:22:30 AM »
The biggest one is ignoring Queen for years and years. They turned up up to be one of my favorite bands in the end, even though I still dislike some of their bigger hits that turned me off initially.

Also, I remember hearing a lot about Ghost when their debut came out, but only checked them out four years later. I wasn't that late for the party, though.  ;D

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 03:39:09 AM »
My road to realising Coheed and Cambria were my #1 band was fraught with me being an idiot; My road to obsession was this:

(Taken from my post I just posted over on reddit)

Listened to Welcome Home late 2005, became obsessed with the song.

Bought Good Apollo I in early 2006, didn't get it and my interest dropped off.

Bought Good Apollo II when it came out; still didn't get it but I listened to the band every now and then.

A friend became obsessed with the song The Light and the Glass in 2009 and used to play it loads. I fell in love with the lyrics and bought In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth.

Started to fall in love with that album, especially Three Evils and A Favor House Atlantic.

Decided to really try to understand their other albums and concept, in late 2009.

I have a vivid memory of being stood in the kitchen, at the old flat I was living in at the time, with the lyric booklet of Good Apollo I in my hands. I listened to that album whilst reading the lyrics and it all just clicked. I realised what a fool I'd been all these years and dived in head first.

I bought the Neverender DVD in 2010 and used to watch it loads; obsession intensified.

At this point I had all their albums and they were coming one of my favourite bands.

Bought the special edition bundle of Year of the Black Rainbow in 2010, with the accompanying novel. Geek level was rising.

Bought every album on release and they moved into my top 5 bands ever.

Got the Keywork tattooed on my arm in 2013 (my 30th birthday).

Realised over the last few years that I've listening to this band for over 10 years and I haven't tired of their music. Now, in 2018, I consider them my favourite band of all time. For a long time Metallica were my #1 band but I just rarely listen to them anymore.

Coheed are just perfect as far as I'm concerned, enjoy this life changing band!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 04:40:43 AM »
'Growls are not vocals and shouldn't be in metal. They have no talent and are not nice to listen to'

Hahaha, what a fucking little bitch I was. So wrong it's not funny.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 05:01:19 AM »
I've got a Native Construct song in my roulette and thought it was awful. One of the worst songs I received in the whole roulette, if not the worst. So I recently decided to listen to the whole album because I thought, hey, the whole thing can't be that bad, right?

Boy, was I wrong!

(I know this isn't quite what the thread is about, but I just couldn't resist)

Glorious!!   :lol :lol

'Growls are not vocals and shouldn't be in metal. They have no talent and are not nice to listen to'

Nope, you had it right in the first place.   ;)

Can't think of anything personally at the moment, but I'm sure I've been wrong before... at least, that's what mrs.jingle keeps reminding me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 06:10:59 AM »
I guess Phil Collins... when I got into Genesis and prog overall, I always read everywhere "boooohhhh Phil ruined Genesis he made them a pop band"... so other's opinions became my opinion as well. I needed years to realize that
1. of course Phil Collins wasn't the one who made Genesis a pop band
2. this was a logical transition and Genesis never completely abandoned their roots
3. 80s Genesis are goooood!
4. Phil's solo stuff is also gooooood!!!

any rock can be made to roll

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
I've had quite a few, especially as I've become more open-minded about different genres of music in recent years.

1. Probably the biggest one of these for me was Octavarium. I actually didn't like it all that much when I first heard it. I thought it was good, but I wasn't really into softer stuff at that time so the first half honestly bored me. Then, over the period of about a year I read more about it and began to appreciate it much more. Now it's my favorite piece of music, period.

2. Pop music in general was another big one. I don't remember what made the genre click for me, but I remember that I made a conscious decision at some point to be more open-minded towards pop music. When I dropped my elitist metalhead attitude and actually gave it a fair shot, I found I liked it. This goes for electronic music too, and rap/hip-hop is starting to learn more this way now too. Skrillex in particular is someone I've turned from actively disliking to actually liking quite a bit.

3. Speaking of pop music, Taylor Swift's 1989 was a huge grower for me. Even when I first started getting into her music, it was my least favorite album at the time. But over time my opinions shifted as I got more comfortable with it and now it's up there with Speak Now as one of my favorite albums by her.

4. Muse's Absolution was another one. I've really started to appreciate it more in the past year or so.

5. Rediscovering emo and metalcore was another one. About a year ago, I remember listening to The Black Parade for the first time in years and I was absolutely blown away by how good it was. I've been relistening to a lot of the music of these styles and I was honestly a little surprised by how much I liked it.

6. Meshuggah was another huge one for me. At first they were WAY too heavy for me, but after I learned more about what they were doing with meters and rhythms I started to appreciate them more. Then appreciation eventually led to me liking them. In moderation. They're still really heavy.

7. For a classical example, I always kind of liked Chopin and Bach, but they wouldn't rank highly in my favorite composers list. Nowadays, they are near the top.

8. Lorde was another one. I thought Pure Heroine was okay when I first heard it, but over time as I became more familiar with pop music it really grew on me. Now she's one of my favorite pop artists.

9. A weirdly specific example, but harsh vocals and extreme metal drumming were other things that took a while to really grow on me. At first, I couldn't stand them. Then, I would find bands that I really liked in spite of harsh vocals (like Opeth). Now I don't really mind them at all, and in the case of extreme metal drumming techniques actually kind of like them.

If I guess I could sum up the journey of my taste in music, it would be: "The more you understand something, the more you like it. And the more you like something, the more you want to understand it."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »

No, no, you had it right the first time.  :)   :)   :)

EDIT:   Ninja'd by Jingle.  Sorry!

For me, it's easy:
- The Grateful Dead:  Commercial, hypocritical poseurs that were whacked out on drugs and appealing to a bunch of losers that were whacked out on drugs.   Well, I was largely right (haha!), but there was a spell there from about 1972 to about 1979 (when the Godchaux's made their exit from the band) that they were sublime.  I make no apologies for adhering to the cliché that "1977 was the highwater mark for the live Grateful Dead", though I also love the experimentalism and almost progressive aspect of albums like "Anthem Of The Sun" and "Terrapin Station".   I don't care for the early "blues" stuff - Pigpen is unlistenable to me, largely - and I don't really care for the "Americana" of American Beauty, but when they rolled into that second set from about 1974 to 1978, it was often transcendent.  I subscribed to the Dave's Pick's thing and now I have about 30 triple live sets of shows that are 98% gold, Jerry.  Gold.

- Devin Townsend:  HATED that record he did with Vai; thought it was just noise to the point I actually felt bad for Steve after tasting the wine with DLR and Whitesnake.   Then three things happened:  I watched a YouTube video of "how he writes a song", I got "Deep Peace" (live) in a roulette, then I heard most of "Transcendence" and was sold, hook line and sinker.   Yeah, I get that there is some stuff in there that harks back to Sex and Religion (obviously, Strapping Young Lad) but it has more context now and makes (slightly) more sense.   Reading his memoir also helped put things in perspective.

EDIT2:  I can probably add "pop" to this list, too.  I've always been a "power pop" guy, Night Ranger, Cheap Trick, but they always had some hard rock/metal bona fides (Brad Gillis and Ozzy; Rick Nielson with Kiss).  Once my daughter started getting into music, I started hearing what she was hearing, and while some of it IS Disney manufactured crap, a lot of it is NOT.   There are some really good songs buried on those OneD records, and Harry Styles is the real deal vocally.   Not a huge Beiber fan, since I think he's a tool, but that song "U Smile"?  LOVE IT.   I even have Taylor Swift "1989" on my iPod ("Wildest Dreams" is about as close to the perfect song as you can get, in my humble opinion).   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:52:17 AM by Stadler »

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
"Oh my god they're just hitting the drums as fast as possible. Anybody could do that."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 11:19:44 AM »
I think there's a lot of those moments for me.  I don't know that I've ever gone from hating something to liking it, but definitely mild dislike or indifference.

- Didn't like DT that much when I first heard them, but they wound up being my favorite band

- Didn't like 2112 much when I first heard it ("When is the singing going to start?") but came to love it

- Didn't care for Blind Guardian or Symphony X but wound up loving both

- Didn't like Damian Wilson the first time I heard his voice, but Damian is awesome

- Didn't think Threshold should have replaced Damian with Glynn Morgan but... "Boy was I wrong!"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
My switch on Rush was visible in real time in the Rush thread here last fall  :lol For years I couldn't stand them, but curiosity eventually got the better of me after hearing about albums I didn't know, so I just started from the first one and kept going, and was blown the f away.

Queensryche was another - the first three albums are something else - but then I got to Promised Land and realized I was half right all along  :natalieportman:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »

This could be me, word for word.

I was the same way years ago with so many bands. As soon as I heard growls I checked out, now there are many bands I love that use that as part of their sound.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »
- Didn't think Threshold should have replaced Damian with Glynn Morgan but... "Boy was I wrong!"

Yes... this for sure (at least for one album so far).

Oh, and I had a ton of optimism the day I bought The Astonishing.  Boy, was I wrong!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »

Yes... this for sure (at least for one album so far).
One album and awesome live performances.  He's not as much of a show man as Damian but his voice! He nailed it.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »
Pain of Salvation's Scarsick. I listened to it a couple of times when it was released and forgot about it. I hated it. Boy, was I wrong.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
Didn't think I could listen to anything Country after the mid-90's, but i've been actively listening to Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson lately.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »
Thought it was a good idea to send Ashes Of Chaos in a roulette...Boy was I wrong!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
Thought it was a good idea to send Ashes Of Chaos in a roulette...Boy was I wrong!

Can you see into the future?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »
Oh, and I had a ton of optimism the day I bought The Astonishing.  Boy, was I wrong!

Yes yes and yes. 100%!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 05:06:38 PM »

Oh great! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 05:55:32 PM »
Both of my big ones have already been mentioned.

Growls for vocals:
Used to immediately discount music with growls as complete shit. When sampling a new band’s material, as soon as I heard screaming, they were dead to me. Then, for some reason, I really started enjoying Into Eternity’s music, and Buried In Oblivion specifically was my gateway drug into the growling world. I was soon tolerating and eventually enjoying growls in music, especially bands that altered between clean singing and growling. It opened doors to In Flames, Soilwork, Opeth, Scar Symmetry, and several others. I was glad I was wrong initially.

Devin Townsend:
Boy did this start off on the wrong foot. My first taste of Devin was from the Working Man tribute album to Rush. Absolutely *hated* his rendition of Natural Science (my absolute favorite Rush song, so the damage was magnified), especially how he butchered the vocals. Swore him off completely at that point. Two things re-ignited my curiosity. The first was I somehow found SYL’s video for “Relentless” and watched. I remember thinking something along the lines of that was fucking intense, and that was fucking awesome. So I started checking some stuff out, and bought at different points Accelerated Evolution, Terria, and Ocean Machine. While the music was fine, nothing clicked at all and I just figured he wasn’t for me. And then some years later, by happenstance, I found his short YouTube video of him laying down guitars for Resolve! from his Addicted album. The prechorus and chorus riffs, plus the awesome vocals by Anneke, plus his absolute energy while playing sucked me in and was impossible to not watch with some excitement. I bought Addicted shortly after release, loved it, and have been a fan since. I don’t love all his stuff since then, but when he’s on, boy can he hit my musical G-spot...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »

I can, and I foresee TAC bumping this thread sometime in 2022 to tell us all that the light finally went on for him in regards to Promised Land.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »

I can, and I foresee TAC bumping this thread sometime in 2022 to tell us all that the light finally went on for him in regards to Promised Land.

Hah! That ship sailed a long time ago, my friend.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »
I didn’t think that Metallica could do worse than St. Anger. Then I heard Lulu.

Boy was I wrong!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2018, 05:53:13 AM »
Growls for vocals:
Used to immediately discount music with growls as complete shit. When sampling a new band’s material, as soon as I heard screaming, they were dead to me. Then, for some reason, I really started enjoying Into Eternity’s music, and Buried In Oblivion specifically was my gateway drug into the growling world. I was soon tolerating and eventually enjoying growls in music, especially bands that altered between clean singing and growling. It opened doors to In Flames, Soilwork, Opeth, Scar Symmetry, and several others. I was glad I was wrong initially.

Soilwork, In Flames and Children of Bodom I think were my first introduction to growls.  Can't quite pinpoint what it was that made growls click for me, but I'm glad they did.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2018, 06:19:35 AM »
I was thinking same of growls. Then my friend sent me Are You Dead Yet? by Children of Bodom, song he absolutely overplayed :lol even though I kinda liked it, I wasn't completely sold on growls (never actually really listened to CoB after that) until (other) friend showed me Death :metal
The other thing is synthpop I like a lot right now. Same as Ninjabait, I had that metal elitist (or prog snob :P ) view on music, thinking it's the only good thing but there is a beauty in simpler music as well.
Also, for some reason I was refusing to listen to Jeff Buckley because I didn't like his cover of Hallelujah (still think the original is the best). And boy, was I wrong! Grace is one of the most beautiful albums I heard in last few years.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »
Weird, Children of Bodom were one of my gateway growl bands too. A friend made me a mix CD and it had the live version of Lake Bodom on it, back in '04. I was in love with the music but couldn't stand the vocals. I persevered though and they helped me learn to love growls!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2018, 06:31:02 AM »
When Neal Morse left Spock's Beard to a solo career I thought I would not like his albums because of lyrical content beeing christian.
I refused to listen to them for a long time..... boy was I wrong. When a concept album based on a religious book could become one of my favorite albums and tours....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »
Both of my big ones have already been mentioned.

Growls for vocals:

This is very similar for me as well, but it wasn't until after my brother and I created KrotchRaut to make fun of death metal that we warmed up to growls. Him moreso, but bands like Into Eternity and Mercenary were a pleasant surprise. I should hate Into Eternity, but something about their style just clicks, and the death and black metal vocals just work. I by no means search for music with growls as I still prefer music without them, but I'm much more tolerant when bands like Kamelot or Delain utilize them.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »

I'll double down on this one, was adamant in my hatred for them until an album sent to me for review (Ocean Architecture- Animus) completely changed my mind and broke through my preconceived prejudices. Now at least half the music I spin has them in one way or another.

Unlike Jingle, I was able to overcome my pansyness and man up to the growlage. Boy was I wrong!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
Guilty as charged!