Author Topic: The albums you wish hadn't existed  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The albums you wish hadn't existed
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
Oh, I meant to say Welcome to the Jungle There instead, but yeah. Paradise City is definitely the worst of the three anyway :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
Hot takes on GnR  :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
Just about everything by G'nR. I just could never get into their music. There are a couple of songs that are okay to me; the majority when I hear it I think, " It'll be over soon"; and the rest are downright awful. Sorry, I just don't get it.

HEAR HEAR.

I thought I was the only one. I can't stand Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City. I absolutely don't get how this band ever got any further than pub gigs, let one sell millions of records and even be revered through a freaking 15 year break in between albums with only the most egotistical swine of a frontman remaining in the band as an original member. What a lot of bollocks.

Not my favorite band ever, but having seen the original GnR, the "Axl" GnR, and Slash solo, look, it might not be your thing, but they're legit.   The first incarnation  was by far the most "dangerous" band I've ever seen, in the sense that literally you felt like anything could happen, and the music had an energy to it that was palpable.    The second incarnation  was just as impressive in a different way.  Yeah, I could have done without a shirtless DJ Ashba with the top hat and leather pants, but it was over three hours, Axl sang the whole show except for about 15 minutes in the middle, and it was every song you wanted to hear done right.    Plus, I can remember living in a dorm complex called "The Jungle" at UConn and coming back to school and hearing that song blaring from just about every building in the area.   It was a huge record at that time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
someone start a "bands you wish hadn't existed" thread w/e

Slayer.

The Doors
Guns n Roses
Nirvana
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »

I thought I was the only one. I can't stand Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City. I absolutely don't get how this band ever got any further than pub gigs, let one sell millions of records and even be revered through a freaking 15 year break in between albums with only the most egotistical swine of a frontman remaining in the band as an original member. What a lot of bollocks.

Paradise City is awesome musically, but Rose's voice really pulls it down. Rose's voice is very hit or miss for me (more miss), and in that one it is a total miss.

As for why they are so revered, I hate to use the "you had to be there" line, but you had to be there. ;)

I was never much of a fan outside of a handful of songs or so, but it seemed like everyone I hung out with in high school (1987-1991) and at my first job (1989-1992) was a diehard fan of theirs and I was the odd one who wasn't. :lol  There was just something about their sound, look and attitude that sucked almost everybody in. If your were around the age of 15-25 in the late 80's, it is a pretty safe bet that you were a fan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:21 AM »

Paradise City is awesome musically, but Rose's voice really pulls it down. Rose's voice is very hit or miss for me (more miss), and in that one it is a total miss.

As for why they are so revered, I hate to use the "you had to be there" line, but you had to be there. ;)

I was never much of a fan outside of a handful of songs or so, but it seemed like everyone I hung out with in high school (1987-1991) and at my first job (1989-1992) was a diehard fan of theirs and I was the odd one who wasn't. :lol  There was just something about their sound, look and attitude that sucked almost everybody in. If your were around the age of 15-25 in the late 80's, it is a pretty safe bet that you were a fan.

If we had a poll:  "Bands where you just had to be there", Guns'n'Roses would be number one on my list.  Don't get me wrong, I still like them, but it's almost hard to describe that three or so year period.  I can't tell you I ever felt quite that same way about  a band.   Kiss is close - when you are a 12-year-old boy and seeing those four maniacs, who you've never seen without makeup and never really heard talk like "humans", well, they were rock gods in every way, shape or form - but there was  something about GnR that Van Halen  didn't have, that Motley Crue wanted but didn't have, Ozzy didn't have... yeah, they were all crazy, but not like Axl Rose. He was that kid in school that you never knew if he was going to just flip his desk, pee on the floor and walk out of the room. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »
...yeah, they were all crazy, but not like Axl Rose. He was that kid in school that you never knew if he was going to just flip his desk, pee on the floor and walk out of the room. 

The problem is that is cool up until you are about 15, then it is just obnoxious.

I remember my mom liking Paradise City though. If she heard it on the radio she would turn it up and hum along. And her interest in rock music maxes out at the Beach Boys.

But as I recall she also liked Toto's Africa. So there's no accounting for taste.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2018, 07:58:06 PM »
Chris,  you are not taking into account that we are not the norm.  Most people have children,  work and things like music and sports take a backseat.  They don't follow bands.  Their life is too busy.

They hear "Africa" on the radio and that's their extent of Toto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2018, 08:00:57 PM »
That should be the extent of Toto.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2018, 08:05:14 PM »

:|
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2018, 08:29:44 PM »

*backhands*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »

:rollin
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2018, 08:44:52 PM »
Tim only likes pizza with pepperoni.   I've never tried any other pizza.

Tim has horse blinders on.

Don't be Tim.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:36 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »
I'm still clutching my pearls from that sentence.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2018, 09:54:45 PM »
I'm still clutching my pearls from that sentence.

I hope there was a payoff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
...yeah, they were all crazy, but not like Axl Rose. He was that kid in school that you never knew if he was going to just flip his desk, pee on the floor and walk out of the room. 

The problem is that is cool up until you are about 15, then it is just obnoxious.

I'm  not  doing a good job of explaining this. It wasn't a "15 year old" thing.   That's Ozzy and Slayer and Kiss.   It was something else.   I don't have the words. 

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »

I'm  not  doing a good job of explaining this. It wasn't a "15 year old" thing.   That's Ozzy and Slayer and Kiss.   It was something else.   I don't have the words.

I've got the words. "You had to have been there."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
There's no 'you had to be there' about it, you just either like it or don't. I've never seen GnR, I didn't even get into them until I was 10 (2001) but they're the epitome of rock music to me and to this day I still love them to death - it does not get better than Guns N' Roses. Just like I despise Chris Cornell but give him all the props in the world for all the fans he made in his career and what he's contributed to rock, I would hope people would do the same with GnR and Axl, or Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, or KISS and Gene Simmons, etc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:32 AM »
If we had a poll:  "Bands where you just had to be there", Guns'n'Roses would be number one on my list.  Don't get me wrong, I still like them, but it's almost hard to describe that three or so year period.  I can't tell you I ever felt quite that same way about  a band.   Kiss is close - when you are a 12-year-old boy and seeing those four maniacs, who you've never seen without makeup and never really heard talk like "humans", well, they were rock gods in every way, shape or form - but there was  something about GnR that Van Halen  didn't have, that Motley Crue wanted but didn't have, Ozzy didn't have... yeah, they were all crazy, but not like Axl Rose. He was that kid in school that you never knew if he was going to just flip his desk, pee on the floor and walk out of the room.

Well...I was there (as were you and a lot of others in this forum).  I've posted before about how my first exposure to GnR was when KNAC (metal station in SoCal from the mid-80s to mid-90s) played "Mr. Brownstone."  I assume that was sometime in mid-1987, when Appetite came out.  I was a few months shy of turning 20 and thought the song was shit from the get go and that Axl's voice was a joke.  The subsequent songs were a little better, but I couldn't believe how the band took off.

Chris is right that all of the random shit that was part of the package with Axl is stuff that's amusing to juveniles (and immature adults).  Since I was neither of those things, I always thought it was obnoxious.  I also agree with Kattoelox that "being there" doesn't really matter; you either like it or you don't, and I didn't.  Maybe it's that I never knew any "kid in school that you never knew if he was going to just flip his desk, pee on the floor and walk out of the room."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2018, 10:08:47 AM »
I don't get the accusations of it only being appealing to kids or immature adults. WTF? Rock used to be dangerous. GnR embodied that and then some. It has nothing to do with immaturity - when Axl comes out and screams "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE?! WAKE UP! TIME TO DIE!!" it honest to god gives me chills. It's the embodiment of the legendary rock mentality - get out there, give high energy performances, and say 'fuck the world, for the next few hours, you're getting an exciting show' and that's it! Could he run around the stage less? Sure. But that's part of what makes (or made) GnR so exciting.

The end of the UYI2 DVD is the best example of this, when Paradise City hits the fast solo spots. The strobe lights are going fucking wild, Slash jumps off the stage - at the Tokyo Dome - and runs everywhere around the floor in front of the fans with security frantically running left and right trying to keep up with his unpredictable movements, while he's shredding for 2 or 3 minutes straight, and at the same time Axl is screaming from up on the stage. That's a damn good rock show!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about craziness in a stage show, I'm talking about all the other crap (most of which I only know about third-hand because I'm not a fan of the music).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about craziness in a stage show, I'm talking about all the other crap (most of which I only know about third-hand because I'm not a fan of the music).

Indeed. When people complain about Axl's attitude, they have in mind stuff like shows beginning late and cities being skipped because of the horoscope, not his stage persona which is just fine and more than appropriated for the music they were playing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

Well...I was there (as were you and a lot of others in this forum).  I've posted before about how my first exposure to GnR was when KNAC (metal station in SoCal from the mid-80s to mid-90s) played "Mr. Brownstone."  I assume that was sometime in mid-1987, when Appetite came out.  I was a few months shy of turning 20 and thought the song was shit from the get go and that Axl's voice was a joke.  The subsequent songs were a little better, but I couldn't believe how the band took off.

Chris is right that all of the random shit that was part of the package with Axl is stuff that's amusing to juveniles (and immature adults).  Since I was neither of those things, I always thought it was obnoxious.  I also agree with Kattoelox that "being there" doesn't really matter; you either like it or you don't, and I didn't.  Maybe it's that I never knew any "kid in school that you never knew if he was going to just flip his desk, pee on the floor and walk out of the room."

Look, I get it.  It's not your thing and you didn't "feel it".   I did (and am continuing to do) a poor job of communicating what I felt, but you need not be an ass about it.  I was neither immature or a juvenile when I saw them in Hartford on the UYI tour.   I had well over 50 shows at that point and knew what I was looking at.   It was different.  It wasn't about the off-stage stuff (which I generally ignore) or "cartoon buffoonery" on stage.    It WAS dangerous, in a visceral way.  I don't mean "I was scared" or "OOOOhhh, Axl almost threw a TANTRUM!"   It was different.   It was an energy and an urgency in the songs.   It was the way the music was presented.   It was punkier than hard rock.   It was proggier - for lack of a better word - than punk.   It was bluesier and harder edged than prog...  They didn't high five each other on stage like Poison, they pushed each other.   The leather and the bandannas... it wasn't a costume like Motley.    It was like an unhinged James Hetfield.   Axl sold that idea of "I REALLY don't have anything to lose, and I'd walk away from this in a fucking HEARTBEAT, motherfucker!" in a way that Ozzy never could, and which was really genuine at that point (and proved true, given the 10 year gap before Chinese Democracy. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »

Indeed. When people complain about Axl's attitude, they have in mind stuff like shows beginning late and cities being skipped because of the horoscope, not his stage persona which is just fine and more than appropriated for the music they were playing.

I'm not talking about any of that.  This was back when they were still hungry.  It was the same sort of "emotion" that ultimately led to that, but it wasn't that.   They went on ON TIME when I saw them, and played for two plus hours, done before the union curfew.   No "AIDS KILLS FAGS DEAD" t-shirts or whatever the hell it was, none of that.  This was about the BAND and the aura coming off the stage.   

Offline Lethean

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2018, 02:54:37 PM »
Stadler - I don't think the peeing on the floor analogy helped with what you're trying to express. :)  Sounds like a great show though, which is the important part.  And the experience that you had is just another reason why I wouldn't wish an album or band not to exist.  I may not be a fan of GnR (don't hate them either), but I can relate to having concert experiences that will stay with me for the rest of my life, and would never want to take that from anyone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2018, 03:16:33 PM »
Stadler - I don't think the peeing on the floor analogy helped with what you're trying to express. :)  Sounds like a great show though, which is the important part.  And the experience that you had is just another reason why I wouldn't wish an album or band not to exist.  I may not be a fan of GnR (don't hate them either), but I can relate to having concert experiences that will stay with me for the rest of my life, and would never want to take that from anyone.

Perhaps not.  :)

But you nailed it in the second half; I'm well over 300 shows at this point and while it wasn't the "BEST", I literally have never experienced anything like that show to this day. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »
So, here's my thoughts on GnR. It's not even a "you had to be there" because they have at least one (Welcome To The Jungle) of the most iconic hard rock songs of the 80's.

They came on in 1987 just as Hair Metal was taking off. They provided a great alternative to young hard rock fans that were not into Hair Metal. Hair metal very quickly became fraught with rip off bands and a lack of seeming integrity. When GnR showed up, they at least appeared to be the real deal. A sleaze style band born of the 70's Aerosmith mode with a little Hanoi Rocks. It was what you see is what you get. It actually felt like there was an honesty about them.

The band themselves provided some great imagery by themselves. Slash's look was instantly recognizable, as was Axl's style and voice, and Duff was the tall blond bass player who seemed really cool. A modern day, more outgoing Tom Hamilton.

Appetite For Destruction is an amazing album. It has all sorts of great LA imagery that just felt real. Plus as old friend Cozmo has always said, it's one of the great air drumming albums of all time. It's very exciting and easy to get into. I was lucky enough to catch them on October of '87 on their first East Coast club tour. They opened for both Aerosmith and Iron Maiden through most of 1988.

In 1991, they released the Illusion albums, which are both incredible. Musically, they matured and killed it. Very quickly they were headlining arenas for a couple of years. Saw them probably a half dozen times. The shows were fantastic. They were long shows with great setlists.

The stories started getting out that Axl was a douche. yes the shows started late. the opening band would come out and then like 2/2.5 hours later, GnR would come on, as if it were a club show.

Now should they be a RnR HOF band? Hell f'n no. Way too short of a career. But we have all these threads about bands and groups of albums, and you'd be hard pressed to find a band that had a better three album run during that time period.

I totally understand someone not like Axl's voice (which to my old ears has not aged well) or his douchiness. Maybe they're sick of Sweet Child, but those albums are filled with some amazing hard rock, and is deserving of most accolades they get.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2018, 03:31:59 PM »
this entire thread has devolved into the "Do you wish GnR never existed?" thread  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »
November Rain is their best song and I'd be fine if they were a one hit wonder band. Although, I do like You Could Be Mine and Sweet Child O Mine as well.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »
Igh, don’t get me started on Sweet Child o’ Mine...
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
I never cared for Sweet Child o' Mine.

Some of the deep cuts on that album are pretty great, though, like Rocket Queen, Mr. Brownstone and Think About You.