Author Topic: The albums you wish hadn't existed  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The albums you wish hadn't existed
« on: June 07, 2018, 04:11:36 PM »
Albums so bad a band's discography would be better off if they never existed  :hat

I'm gonna start with my obvious and eternal gripe, DT12  :corn

Online MirrorMask

Re: The albums you wish hadn't existed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
I'll be the first one to say Metallica's St. Anger.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
All Queensryche albums after Promised Land.

INB4 TAC changes "Promised Land" to "Empire." :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »
It's kinda hard because in general with bands i like (and care about) - even the lesser albums have good things about them (like standout songs).

Obvious meme picks like St. Anger or Lulu i can understand, though I think something like St. Anger is very easy to just ignore at this point since the band doesn't play anything from it live and fans hate it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
Metallica - Death Magnetic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 04:32:52 PM »
Albums so bad a band's discography would be better off if they never existed  :hat

No Illumination Theory?  God that would suck.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
It's kinda hard because in general with bands i like (and care about) - even the lesser albums have good things about them (like standout songs).

This.

And also in some cases the album turned out to be a turning point in style, that would be impossible to replace with something else. Or the songs would fare better in a live setting than on the studio recording.

My first thought was Pain of Salvation's 'Scarsick', which I seriously dislike, but then again, that album spawned some amazing live renditions on the live DVD 'Ending Themes' and not every song on that album is bad. To me it's just a shame (for lack of a better word) that their otherwise excellent discography is marred by that abomination.

In general, it's hard to say though, as I tend to ignore music I don't like and I generally don't care about the existence of music I won't listen to anyway. So 'wishing an album hadn't existed' isn't really applicable to me I suppose.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 04:56:04 PM »

This.

And also in some cases the album turned out to be a turning point in style, that would be impossible to replace with something else. Or the songs would fare better in a live setting than on the studio recording.

My first thought was Pain of Salvation's 'Scarsick', which I seriously dislike, but then again, that album spawned some amazing live renditions on the live DVD 'Ending Themes' and not every song on that album is bad. To me it's just a shame (for lack of a better word) that their otherwise excellent discography is marred by that abomination.

In general, it's hard to say though, as I tend to ignore music I don't like and I generally don't care about the existence of music I won't listen to anyway. So 'wishing an album hadn't existed' isn't really applicable to me I suppose.

Scarsick is an interesting pick and I agree on a lot of it. I kinda got into the band through that live album so I have a soft spot for some of the songs, though as much as I dislike the album and parts of it are rough it still has songs like Enter Rain and Flame to the Moth that I would consider great.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »
Queen 'Hot Space' and Styx 'Kilroy Was Here'.  Other bands have had one or more clunkers, but these two go on the Mt. Rushmore of 'WTW were they thinking'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »

Also,  The Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil, and The Looking Glass wouldn't exist.  That would really suck too!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
Falling into Infinity.

Aside from a couple stand-out songs, it has the band's weakest overall output
It's a weird period in their lineup history as they had a keyboardist playing on this one album, who contributing nothing of note, because the one they wanted wasn't ready to commit to them.
The band had differing visions of the album and its direction, resulting in conflicts that didn't enhance the final product any
They had a bad experience with an outside producer leading them to self-produce every subsequent album. 
And selfishly, it resulted in a big dip in my DT fandom, only saved by SFaM
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
BOSTON - Corporate America.   :facepalm:
YES - Tormato
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »
All Queensryche albums after Promised Land.

INB4 TAC changes "Promised Land" to "Empire." :P

:lol

Definitely.

In a vacuum, I have no problem with Promised Land. I mean, I feel it's very weak, but Queensryche had been so good up to that point, and enough people hold it in high regard, that as a single entry in their discography to date, then fine. The problem is that everything that came after it sucked, and therefore, it is, to me, associated with what followed than with what came before.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

Also,  The Bigger Picture, Behind The Veil, and The Looking Glass wouldn't exist.  That would really suck too!
The bigger picture is the only slightly salvageable song from the album and I'd be fine living in a world without it

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 06:13:23 PM »
I tried to stay away from just "oooh, direction I don't like!" and go for something different.  I'm also that guy that if I like a band, I like a lot of their stuff; I LIKE Slaves and Masters (though the lyrics are worse than bad.  "Breakfast In Bed"?  Get out of my house!).   

But I would list Slaves and Masters because it shows someone being overly stubborn. Should've buried the hatchet with Big Ian and been done with it.   

Also, and hear me out, Bark At The Moon.  I love that record - except for the ballad - but honestly?  If given the choice between "BATM" or having Randy still alive and producing great music, I think I'm okay saying "Randy".

I might put VHIII here; they should  have tried harder with Dave in the wake of what I think is an excellent song, "Me Wise Magic".   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »
Also, and hear me out, Bark At The Moon.  I love that record - except for the ballad - but honestly?  If given the choice between "BATM" or having Randy still alive and producing great music, I think I'm okay saying "Randy".

Not sure I agree. I mean, I'd certainly trade it if it meant another album with Randy, but Ozzy never released anything that sniffed BATM's jock. BATM is fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 06:23:32 PM »
Every Queen album after Innuendo. Their career ending with The Show Must Go On would have been perfect.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »

Not sure I agree. I mean, I'd certainly trade it if it meant another album with Randy, but Ozzy never released anything that sniffed BATM's jock. BATM is fantastic.

No, no, I'm with you; it was just the circumstances.  I really like that record a lot.  I was big into Randy, though, and it was like seeing your dad with a new woman.  I guess.  I've never experienced that.  But  you get my point. 

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 06:40:02 PM »
Anything by Limp Bizkit.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »
Temple of the Dog. I really, really cannot stand TOTD.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »
If I had to pick a DT album to go here, it would be Systematic Chaos without question.   I like TDEN, but I pretty much drop a dookie on the rest of it.   

How about Cold Lake by Celtic Frost.   That might be one of the biggest WTF's in metal history.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

Dude.

Bro.

Homie.

Mi compadre.

Comrade.

EDIT:  But you remind me:  Vitalogy.    The first two Pearl Jam records were Gossard/Ament's babies, and around Vitalogy is when the band started to feel the conflict that later led them to - consciously - cede control of the band to Vedder and take a step back.  They haven't been the same band since (to me). 

EDIT2:   Does the entire Nirvana catalogue count? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »

Unplugged In New York is awesome.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 08:09:16 PM »

Unplugged In New York is awesome.

Fair point.  I agree with you. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
Yeah, there's something about it. I'm am most definitely not a Nirvana guy, but that album hit me at a certain point in my life where it really resonated.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »

Dude.

Bro.

Homie.

Mi compadre.

Comrade.

Dawg. Did I give you palpitations? :lol

I just can't do it, man. I do not like Chris Cornell's music at all, but especially that album.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 10:32:22 PM »

Dude.

Bro.

Homie.

Mi compadre.

Comrade.

Dawg. Did I give you palpitations? :lol

I just can't do it, man. I do not like Chris Cornell's music at all, but especially that album.

It's like you two are made to eventually clash on opposing opinions on an online forum.  REALLY?  You can't dig anything from Chris Cornell at all?  I mean I understand if you don't like either one of Soundgarden or Audioslave or any of his solo stuff or TOTD, but nothing?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
I like the album pretty well, but I'll admit that in this case I like the popular choice.  Hunger Strike is a fantastic song.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 11:01:09 PM »
It's like you two are made to eventually clash on opposing opinions on an online forum.  REALLY?  You can't dig anything from Chris Cornell at all?  I mean I understand if you don't like either one of Soundgarden or Audioslave or any of his solo stuff or TOTD, but nothing?

Stadler's my bro.  :biggrin: Nope. All of his songs just annoy me when I hear them, and unfortunately I hear them all the time. His voice is to me what Axl Rose is to others.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
Everything Queensryche did after Promised Land until they finally got rid of Tate, but especially Mindcrime 2. A couple of good songs apart, this should never have happened

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 12:19:55 AM »
Why does this thread even exist? Every album ever made has its rightful place in the world, and deserves to exist.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 01:41:12 AM »
tell that to brokencyde

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 02:36:56 AM »
Why does this thread even exist? Every album ever made has its rightful place in the world, and deserves to exist.

But sometimes the only rightful place is the dustbin.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 02:41:53 AM »
In a sense I also wish that Savatage's A Handful of Rain hadn't existed - beautiful album, but it was Jon Oliva's way of coping with the loss of his brother Criss. Had Criss Oliva not died in his 30s in a car accident, Savatage's course would have been different and maybe they'd still be around.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 04:12:00 AM »
Coheed's The Color Before The Sun is the only one that comes to mind.