Author Topic: The albums you wish hadn't existed  (Read 5718 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The albums you wish hadn't existed
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 05:04:32 AM »
Why does this thread even exist? Every album ever made has its rightful place in the world, and deserves to exist.

Because it's fun to discuss.  Nobody here is on a crusade to eliminate anything from this world, it's just conservation
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 05:57:39 AM »
Queensryche - Dedicated To Chaos.

Oof.

I guess it was one of the contributing factors to them finally excising the Tate tumour so there's that going for it, but Wot We Do is feasibly one of the worst songs I've ever heard and between that song, particularly the video for it, and certain woeful pictures from the cabaret tour I think Geoff Tate's impact on my life is now a net negative!

Oh dear... I've just thought about that video again... ugh... ew... just no. :-[

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:03 AM »
I'm voting for Yes' Heaven & Earth. Especially because this was Chris Squires last album with Yes. This album is just... terrible.

Open You Eyes is not good either, but at least it has the beautiful From The Balcony.
I have nothing against Tormato, sure it doesn't have the class of the other 70s albums, but it still has that 70s vibe to it and Alan White doesn't play like a drum machine.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
It's like you two are made to eventually clash on opposing opinions on an online forum.  REALLY?  You can't dig anything from Chris Cornell at all?  I mean I understand if you don't like either one of Soundgarden or Audioslave or any of his solo stuff or TOTD, but nothing?

Stadler's my bro.  :biggrin: Nope. All of his songs just annoy me when I hear them, and unfortunately I hear them all the time. His voice is to me what Axl Rose is to others.

And that will ruin Temple, since it's really Chris' show.    I saw the NY show on the tour, and it was KILLER (their version of "Achilles Last Stand" was the second best Zeppelin cover I've ever heard; you can guess the first).  But I get it; if you don't like Cornell, you're not going to like it.

Offline Pappy

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
It's kinda hard because in general with bands i like (and care about) - even the lesser albums have good things about them (like standout songs).

Obvious meme picks like St. Anger or Lulu i can understand, though I think something like St. Anger is very easy to just ignore at this point since the band doesn't play anything from it live and fans hate it.

I've gotten enjoyment out of St. Anger from time to time. I'm not arguing it's at the top of their discography by any means but I'm ok with it being there. As for Lulu, I argue that's part of Lou Reed's discography not Metallica's.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
It's like you two are made to eventually clash on opposing opinions on an online forum.  REALLY?  You can't dig anything from Chris Cornell at all?  I mean I understand if you don't like either one of Soundgarden or Audioslave or any of his solo stuff or TOTD, but nothing?

Stadler's my bro.  :biggrin: Nope. All of his songs just annoy me when I hear them, and unfortunately I hear them all the time. His voice is to me what Axl Rose is to others.

And that will ruin Temple, since it's really Chris' show.    I saw the NY show on the tour, and it was KILLER (their version of "Achilles Last Stand" was the second best Zeppelin cover I've ever heard; you can guess the first).  But I get it; if you don't like Cornell, you're not going to like it.

I'm goin' hungray... goin' hungraaaaYAAAAAYEEEEYAAAA!!! UGH.  >:(  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2018, 10:11:36 AM »

I'm goin' hungray... goin' hungraaaaYAAAAAYEEEEYAAAA!!! UGH.  >:(  :lol
See, and I don't mind stealing bread from the mouth of decadence, so we're at an impasse.  :) :) :)

Online Mladen

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
The Velvet Underground - Squeeze

Queensryche - Frequency unknown

Pink Floyd - The Endless river

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2018, 11:50:18 AM »
Even as far as albums I don't care for, I guess when it comes right down to it, I would only include albums that affirmatively tarnish a band's legacy.  To take Queensryche as an example, since they have been mentioned several times:

Everything Queensryche did after Promised Land until they finally got rid of Tate, but especially Mindcrime 2. A couple of good songs apart, this should never have happened

I don't agree with the more general point.  But I do think there are a couple of albums in particular that rightly fit the bill.  Like them or hate them, I have to go with Mindcrime II and Dedicated to Chaos.  Say what you will about the other albums the band did, but I wouldn't say they tarnished the image or legacy of the band.

I put Mindcrime II up there for a few reasons.  First off, the execution of it was just so subpar compared with the first that it doesn't really "deserve" to have the Mindcrime name attached to it.  The original is so revered in the musical community that it should not have had a sequel to begin with.  And it if must have a sequel, the sequel had to been a lot closer to flawless.  This wasn't.  Second, it was clearly a cash grab.  The musical integrity wasn't there.  The desire to financially capitalize on the Mindcrime name clearly was.  Third, and this is related to the second point, Tate flat out lied and tried to revise history in saying the band contemplated a sequel when they did the original.  Unfortunately, he and the band are on record during that time period as saying the exact opposite.  This album not only tarnished the band's legacy, but also somewhat tainted the original by association.

D2C and the Cabaret debacle:  Do I even need to spell out why this tarnished the band's image and legacy?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »
I'm gonna go with Octavarium. I know, this means the song Octavarium would not exist and it is a great one, but the rest of the album I really can't stand.

Queen 'Hot Space'

So much this. Every other album up to Made in Heaven (whatever was released later doesn't count in my book) I either like or love, but hot space is such a mess. However, without hot space there is no Under Pressure so that's a hard trade.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »
Can't believe I'm the first one choosing this album, but...

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 09:48:33 PM »

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá

Thought of it before scrolling down all the way.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 10:52:02 PM »

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá

This is hard to top. Personal taste aside, eliminating this album actually saves lives.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2018, 12:34:06 AM »

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá

This is hard to top. Personal taste aside, eliminating this album actually saves lives.

Damn...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2018, 01:19:07 AM »

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá

w o w  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 02:57:18 AM »
Well, if we want to go down that way, wishing Iced Earth's The Glorious Burden with Ripper hadn't existed means wishing 9/11 hadn't happened, since that was the deciding factor for Matt Barlow to change his life.

So, if you ever get a time machine, screw the old "Kill Hitler" trope - prevent 9/11 and you get countless people not dying, two landmarks still standing, and one of the best vocalists of all time in the band that made each other bigger!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2018, 03:00:20 AM »

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá

w o w  :lol

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá

holy shit !

So, if you ever get a time machine, screw the old "Kill Hitler" trope - prevent 9/11 and you get countless people not dying, two landmarks still standing, and one of the best vocalists of all time in the band that made each other bigger!!!

Okay, but 'Kill Hitler' is quite simple and demarkated. 'Prevent 9/11' is much more difficult to realise.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 09:40:27 AM »
Well, if we want to go down that way, wishing Iced Earth's The Glorious Burden with Ripper hadn't existed means wishing 9/11 hadn't happened, since that was the deciding factor for Matt Barlow to change his life.

That’s really not the same at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »
Though a lot are available for this, Styx-Kylroy Was Here would probably top my list. I love the Behind The Music where Tommy Shaw is talking about it, and he reflects on a reviewer who  called it a 'parking lot full of whale vomit'...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
Though a lot are available for this, Styx-Kylroy Was Here would probably top my list. I love the Behind The Music where Tommy Shaw is talking about it, and he reflects on a reviewer who  called it a 'parking lot full of whale vomit'...

And yet Tommy and JY have now shown themselves to be flaming hypocrites by playing Mr. Roboto live this summer. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
That's doesn't seem totally fair. I am not a Styx expert, but I thought it was more an issue of the not liking the musical direction Dennis waanted to go, and how he thought the Kilroy tour should be performed. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »

Adrenaline Mob - Omertá

Damn...

:eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »
That's doesn't seem totally fair. I am not a Styx expert, but I thought it was more an issue of the not liking the musical direction Dennis waanted to go, and how he thought the Kilroy tour should be performed.
a youtuber i follow did a good vid about this album actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZPaH7QIVI
from my understanding basically nobody but the frontman cared about the album or the stage show thing they did & the band basically went on hiatus because the audience didn't like the album either, except the single

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »

And yet Tommy and JY have now shown themselves to be flaming hypocrites by playing Mr. Roboto live this summer.
  :lol
I would prefer that Styx would play "The Mission" in its entirety, instead of the standard classic hits type of tours. I would actually go if this was the case..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2018, 05:04:35 PM »
Lo! - Vestigial
Absu - Absu

:yeahright

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2018, 06:53:50 AM »

Anything for a payday, eh?

I actually take that one back though, without Kilroy, we would've never had this...
https://youtu.be/D692JJPPUe4

I'll cast my vote for Yes - Heaven and Earth... I remember getting the promo for that one, excited to review it. I made it through three songs and shut it off. I actually asked another of our other writers to review it cause I couldn't slam money time heroes.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2018, 07:38:25 AM »
Just about everything by G'nR. I just could never get into their music. There are a couple of songs that are okay to me; the majority when I hear it I think, " It'll be over soon"; and the rest are downright awful. Sorry, I just don't get it.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:22 AM »
the Wildhearts - Fishing For Luckies. Not to be confused with the Wildhearts - Fishing For Luckies, or the Wildhearts - Fishing For More Luckies...

Basically, the original was a fan club release only, as the record company didn't want to put it out officially or do a double album for PHUQ. I was a poor student at the time and couldn't afford it but a friend could and taped it for me... and it's awesomely good.

At some point along the line the record company intended to re-release it with a couple more throwaway demo tracks tacked on the end as Fishing For More Luckies but although it did get pressed it didn't get a proper release, I believe, as the band disowned it.

Then the band later did a proper release with the name back to Fishing For Luckies with the two songs released as a double sided single removed and a bunch of additional songs that, whilst solid, weren't as good and didn't fit in properly with the original fan club release. It's this version I wish hadn't existed and they'd just re-pressed the original fan club release for those of us who didn't got hold of it at the time.

Also, the band sanctioned re-release had about 20 minutes of a looped bit of laughter that was something of a baffling (probably drug addled) addition.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2018, 02:00:52 AM »
I'll cast my vote for Yes - Heaven and Earth... I remember getting the promo for that one, excited to review it. I made it through three songs and shut it off. I actually asked another of our other writers to review it cause I couldn't slam money time heroes.

I totally get it. It's a truly terrible album. And the worst of it all is that this was Chris Squire's last album with Yes. They've done such tremendous things and then Chris left this world with... this.

Steve Howe keeps saying that Yes should write symphonies and huge pieces. He has been saying that for the last 20 years. I don't know why they never do though. Jon Anderson wants to do the same- at least after befriending Roine Stolt, he did that - or contributed.

Just about everything by G'nR. I just could never get into their music. There are a couple of songs that are okay to me; the majority when I hear it I think, " It'll be over soon"; and the rest are downright awful. Sorry, I just don't get it.

I find that a very strange thing to say. You don't like a band, okay. But I don't think that's the point of this thread, is it?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2018, 02:12:22 AM »
someone start a "bands you wish hadn't existed" thread w/e

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2018, 03:50:52 AM »
Can I nominate "A Whole New World" by Peter Andre and Katie Price?  :censored :censored :censored
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2018, 08:12:33 AM »

Slayer. 

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
Lo! - Vestigial
Absu - Absu

:yeahright

:lol

HEAR HEAR.

I thought I was the only one. I can't stand Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City. I absolutely don't get how this band ever got any further than pub gigs, let one sell millions of records and even be revered through a freaking 15 year break in between albums with only the most egotistical swine of a frontman remaining in the band as an original member. What a lot of bollocks.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »
I thought I was the only one. I can't stand Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City.

You dislike Paradise City so much, that you can't stand it twice in the same sentence?  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:40 AM »

Slayer.
same