0 (0%)
Tina Turner
5 (5.7%)
PJ Harvey
1 (1.1%)
other (name in the comment below)
12 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Re: POLL: Two Best Female Rock Vocalists?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: POLL: Two Best Female Rock Vocalists?
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Planet Earth.  Their songs were on the radio everywhere.   Their videos were on MTV.  I look and say, how the hell couldnt you know who that is?.

Bte, I own every album but Garbage.

Is it The Cranberries?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
Alannah Myles

I saw her open up for Robert Plant.  She was great live.

I saw that tour as well; during Plant's show he missed a cue after an extended song intro, and after the song he joked "sorry about that; the door to Alannah' dressing room got stuck..."     To this day not sure if he was kidding or not.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
Planet Earth.  Their songs were on the radio everywhere.   Their videos were on MTV.  I look and say, how the hell couldnt you know who that is?.

Bte, I own every album but Garbage.

Is it The Cranberries?

I feel like I'm on the side of the road, and every time I run up to the car door, you drive a little further down the road.... :) :) :)

The Cranberries are awesome, but everything I've posted has been about  Shirley Manson, the lead singer of the band Garbage.   That first Garbage album (and the second one, too) are very, very good records.   It's like the melodies of the Beach Boys sung by Chrissie McVie over the music of... I don't know... Peter Gabriel, maybe?    The part in "Only Happy When It Rains" when she sings "Pour... your misery down, pour... your misery down on me..." with the layered vocals, it's just really really good.   Like ice cream. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
And her Scottish accent.  MEOW!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
I voted for PJ Harvey. Partly because she's great and partly because I don't know the rest of these people.

Funny how that works...I have no idea who PJ Harvey is (other than what I gleaned by quickly googling her to make sure I didn't know who she is).

Not sure how one knows PJ Harvey and not Debbie Harry, Shirley Manson or Chrissie Hynde.

I not only don't know who PJ Harvey is, but I've also never heard of Shirley Manson.

I know who Shirley Manson is (although I can't say why because, AFAIK, I've never heard a single song by Garbage), but I too had never heard of PJ Harvey before reading Shadow Ninja's post yesterday.

Same is true of a lot of the "other" names being mentioned, although some I've heard of as a result of "hot female metal singers" lists.

Their videos were on MTV.

Now you're punking us!   ;D  When in the last 20 years has MTV played a video?

I had never heard of:

Shirley Manson
Suzi Quatro
PJ Harvey

Never watched Happy Days?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 12:50:41 PM »
 :lol

In the mid 90's they still were!  Also VH1 that lasted a little longer with the music programing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
  That first Garbage album (and the second one, too) are very, very good records.   It's like the melodies of the Beach Boys sung by Chrissie McVie over the music of... I don't know... Peter Gabriel, maybe?    The part in "Only Happy When It Rains" when she sings "Pour... your misery down, pour... your misery down on me..." with the layered vocals, it's just really really good.   Like ice cream.

So what you're saying is Garbage recycles?  :neverusethis:

I have literally never heard of Garbage.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
Tim was the kid that only ate chicken nuggets and mac n cheese since he liked it and never strayed.

I don't like change. -- Tim.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: POLL: Two Best Female Rock Vocalists?
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »
TAC and I have to be long lost cousins or something. I know I don't know lots of artists that maybe I should. But in the 80s I was all about what was on MTV. I didn't have the internet to check out other bands. And I didn't know how else to. Once the 90s hit and I discovered classic rock, I knew what I liked and stuck with it. Same thing with the 00s and prog/metal. I didn't care what else was popular or what other people were listening to.

A friend of mine frequently cannot accept I don't know some "popular" song, because is is everywhere." I had to have heard it. If is isnt on my computer, phone, tablet, CD shelf part of a genre that I like and wpuld pursue checking out, or from a genre that would come up on one of the internet radio channels I frequent, why would I have heard it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2018, 02:37:46 PM »
TAC and I have to be long lost cousins or something. I know I don't know lots of artists that maybe I should. But in the 80s I was all about what was on MTV. I didn't have the internet to check out other bands. And I didn't know how else to. Once the 90s hit and I discovered classic rock, I knew what I liked and stuck with it. Same thing with the 00s and prog/metal. I didn't care what else was popular or what other people were listening to.

A friend of mine frequently cannot accept I don't know some "popular" song, because is is everywhere." I had to have heard it. If is isnt on my computer, phone, tablet, CD shelf part of a genre that I like and wpuld pursue checking out, or from a genre that would come up on one of the internet radio channels I frequent, why would I have heard it?

I completely get that.  But at least with Garbage, specifically, they were played on MTV and mainstream rock radio in the '90s.  And most people I know that followed MTV in the '80s, myself included, at least somewhat followed MTV and rock radio in the early and mid-'90s before the Internet really started to take off.  I can't tell you much about that band, including naming any of their songs.  But I do remember their name from that era.  And once someone mentioned the title of "I'm Only Happy When It Rains," I at least vaguely remembered the chorus of that song (although I misremembered and thought it was a dude that sang it).  You'd have to have ignored MTV and radio during that era to have NOT heard them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »
I'll see you all one Anneke Van Giersbergen, and raise you one
Cammie Gilbert (Oceans of Slumber).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »

I completely get that.  But at least with Garbage, specifically, they were played on MTV and mainstream rock radio in the '90s.  And most people I know that followed MTV in the '80s, myself included, at least somewhat followed MTV and rock radio in the early and mid-'90s before the Internet really started to take off.  I can't tell you much about that band, including naming any of their songs.  But I do remember their name from that era.  And once someone mentioned the title of "I'm Only Happy When It Rains," I at least vaguely remembered the chorus of that song (although I misremembered and thought it was a dude that sang it).  You'd have to have ignored MTV and radio during that era to have NOT heard them.

I'm with TAC and Chris (although, as noted, I've heard of Garbage and Shirley Manson, although I couldn't name and wouldn't recognize a single song).  We got cable (and, hence, MTV) when I was a sophomore in high school (1982-83), and I religiously watched MTV for the next several years.  By the end of the 80s, I barely watched it because hard rock/metal had all but vanished (save for Headbanger's Ball).  I will admit to watching the Boston season of The Real World with my wife in 1997.  As far as radio, from 1986-1995, I listened almost exclusively to KNAC (a hard rock/metal station in Southern California) and sports talk radio.  In the 23 years since KNAC went off the air, I have probably spent no more than 5-10 hours listening to music on the radio.

According to Wikipedia, Garbage's first album came out in mid-1995, so there was never any real chance of me hearing them on the radio or on MTV.  I couldn't tell you when or in what context I heard of Garbage, but it's not at all surprising to me that others in their 40s wouldn't know the band.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
That's because you had narrow vision back then.  If I heard them on radio and MTV/VH1, it was out there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
That's because you had narrow vision back then.  If I heard them on radio and MTV/VH1, it was out there.

What was Garbage's big hit?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »
Stupid Girl
I'm Only Happy When It Rains

These 2 were t of about 7 songs that were radio hits.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
Classic - Ann Wilson

Neo - Floor Jansen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »
Stupid Girl

Just checked it on Spotify.
I have literally NEVER heard that before.

Starts off the same as Alice Cooper's Public Animal #9.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2018, 08:25:53 PM »
Tim, what do you think of this? I've always got the Bondie , punk with pop sensibilities.   

https://youtu.be/dcrv9nhH9iY

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2018, 09:38:29 AM »
In the wake of Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and (to a way lesser extent, though I listened to the album a lot when it came out) Nirvana, it wasn't a stretch to hear about "Butch Vig's new gig!" (He produced Nevermind for Nirvana).    Garbage was on the cover of Spin Magazine more than Bob Dylan is on the cover of Rolling Stone.   And I'm not going to lie, and I'm not going to apologize, but I thought Shirley Manson was hot AF, and so I checked it out.  "Only Happy When It Rains" is pretty much everything I love in music that isn't heavy metal; strong melody, layered voices, little mini-motifs that sneak their way in and are never heard again (ala Def Leppard).   It was right up my alley, babay. 

I get that someone might not have heard of them, but I also don't think it's quite like listening to some of the stuff that comes out in the roulettes around here ("Hey, here's the last song on the mini-EP released on Kuggelshrieber Records by the Norwegian black metal band "Satanal Crust"!).   This is a band that did a Bond theme for fuck's sake ("The World Is Not Enough").     

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
Amanda Somerville
Floor Jansen
Charlotte Wessels

I can count.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »
Tim, what do you think of this? I've always got the Bondie , punk with pop sensibilities.   

https://youtu.be/dcrv9nhH9iY

Yeah, big time Blondie influence. I love Blondie and consider Eat To the Beat one of the greatest albums these ears have ever heard.

In the wake of Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and (to a way lesser extent, though I listened to the album a lot when it came out) Nirvana, it wasn't a stretch to hear about "Butch Vig's new gig!" (He produced Nevermind for Nirvana).    Garbage was on the cover of Spin Magazine more than Bob Dylan is on the cover of Rolling Stone.   And I'm not going to lie, and I'm not going to apologize, but I thought Shirley Manson was hot AF, and so I checked it out.  "Only Happy When It Rains" is pretty much everything I love in music that isn't heavy metal; strong melody, layered voices, little mini-motifs that sneak their way in and are never heard again (ala Def Leppard).   It was right up my alley, babay.     

I think Hole's Live Through This is phenomenal.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »
If Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell are on the list - and they deserve to be - then where are Aretha and Etta? 

I have to go with Annie Lennox as my 2nd place.  Aretha in her hey day, can't be beat.  And I love Ann Wilson's voice a lot.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2018, 03:12:37 AM »
If Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell are on the list - and they deserve to be - then where are Aretha and Etta? 

I have to go with Annie Lennox as my 2nd place.  Aretha in her hey day, can't be beat.  And I love Ann Wilson's voice a lot.

I agree, but did she ever actually sing anything rock-related?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Harmony

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2018, 09:16:25 AM »

Which is why I pointed out Joni (folk) and Linda (country/pop) in the same vein.  Aretha was the first woman inducted into the RnRHoF.  Yes, she is technically the queen of soul but I'd put Respect and Chain of Fools up there for something "rock-related."

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2018, 11:46:26 AM »

Well...she was inducted into the Rock & Roll HOF 31 years ago....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

Well...she was inducted into the Rock & Roll HOF 31 years ago....

Laura Nyro.   Madonna.  There are a lot of criteria for being in the RnRHoF, but apparently playing "rock songs" isn't one of them...