Author Topic: Who Had the Best First Four Albums  (Read 5698 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Who Had the Best First Four Albums
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lethean

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2018, 12:07:33 AM »
Are you counting Aeolia for Leprous.  If not, they're absolutely in the running for me.  I even like Aeolia; I just wouldn't include it in a best 4 albums category.

I personally didn't count Aeolia when I suggested Leprous in this thread, because Leprous don't even count that album themselves. For the record, I do like Aeolia, but it's easily their weakest 'release' (that is, if you do not count the Silent Waters EP ;p ).
Yeah, but isn't that kind of cheating?  Maybe they don't count it or like it now, but they did release it.  (And actually I've heard Tor Oddmund say that he doesn't mind it as part of their history). Neil Peart doesn't want to count the first few Rush albums either, but we're counting those. :)

I've never heard Silent Waters but I know they don't think too highly of it. :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:32 AM »
if y'all count aeolia you have to count haken's demo album too
or really any demo album
'cause my understanding is that it is a demo more than a proper release

Offline Lethean

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2018, 01:07:59 AM »
if y'all count aeolia you have to count haken's demo album too
or really any demo album
'cause my understanding is that it is a demo more than a proper release

Maybe you're right.  I always just think of Aeolia as a full album because it's the length of one, rather than just being a few songs.  In that case, Leprous goes on the list, for sure.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 04:37:24 AM »
Yeah, for all of my suggestions I just counted the first 4 official studio albums, no demos or EPs.

Oh yeah you're right parama, Hypno5e now have 4 full albums and they're all great, that one should be on my list of honorable mentions too :corn

Tesseract is a good choice too, though for my personal tastes, One has too much screaming.
One is my favourite TesseracT album :lol but I seem to just enjoy everything they do.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »
Queen.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2018, 10:05:43 PM »
Been on a pretty good Vanden Plas kick lately, and got to thinking that they might fit the bill for this thread. That run of five albums from Color Temple to Christ 0 is pretty damn strong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »
I'd include Vanden Plas if it wasn't for Colour Temple.  It's not a bad first album, but I think The God Thing is a huge step up.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2018, 06:56:39 AM »
I think Queensryche is the obvious answer as Rage, Mindcrime and Empire are pretty much flawless and The Warning is more than solid. 

Any 4 album run from Dream Theater is also always worth a mention, they've not made a bad album in my opinion, just varying degrees of good to great and most would class Images and Awake as two absolute classics, I also really like WDADU unlike many others on here.

I'm also going to throw Bon Jovi in which is probably not the coolest band to mention on here but their debut album is awesome and Slippery When Wet and New Jersey are huge classic albums.  The Farenheit album was a bit of a drop off in the middle but still has some really good stuff on there.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
There is no obvious answer but my personal taste has me say Manowar (there, I said it). The run "Battle Hymns, Into Glory Ride (the Secret of Steel, guys!), Hail to England, Sign of the Hammer" is fantastic. It began declining from there, IMO.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »
Led Zeppelin

Chicago....yes, there was a ton of 'weird' stuff, but we had a ton of great material in those first three double LPs.  And 'Chicago V' should be in everyone's Top Fifty.

Next level:  Aerosmith, Queen, and then......Foreigner.  That band's material was good to very good, and very consistent.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
I really want to add Toto to this list but Turn Back keeps that from happening. Damn it. Even with some of the songs like Lorraine and All Us Boys, that run is still spectacular (Turn Back aside).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
I really like Turn Back, but Toto doesn't qualify, because their later stuff like Isolation, The Seventh One, Kingdom Of Desire etc. is equally as good or even better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
I really like Turn Back, but Toto doesn't qualify, because their later stuff like Isolation, The Seventh One, Kingdom Of Desire etc. is equally as good or even better.

Also a very good point, although I disagree about Isolation - Turn Back, Isolation, and Fahrenheit are their weakest efforts by a long shot in my opinion, although there is still good material on each of them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »
Neal Morse. Although I've never listened to his self-titled solo album, the next 3 (4 actually) albums are as good of a run of albums from any artist that I've listened to.

And I know they've only put 4 studio albums out, I'd throw out Transatlantic as well. Pretty hard to beat the quality of those 4 albums for me.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2018, 11:38:25 PM »
Along with the Zeppelin, Queen, and Beatles already mentioned, I would like to mention

The Who - My Generation, A Quick One, Who Sell Out, Tommy
Alter Bridge - One Day Remain, Blackbird, AB III, Fortress
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill, Countdown To Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2018, 04:44:45 AM »
I'd also say Megadeth's first 4 albums are easily their best.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Dream Team

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2018, 06:24:46 AM »
I'd also say Megadeth's first 4 albums are easily their best.

This is true also.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
For nostalgia sake, and the ground breaking releases that they were, I wanted to list The Beatles.  If one adds the non LP 45s to their first three albums, ....no doubt, one has to include them as being strong.  'For Sale', even with 'I Feel Fine / She's A Woman added, just didn't cut the mustard.  Maybe if their unreleased (at the time) cover of 'Leave My Kitten Alone' had replaced the woeful 'Mr. Moonlight', it would have been considered a decent album. 

Flip a coin between it and 'Let It Be' as to being the weak links in their discography.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
Thinking of The Beatles first four (coulda, woulda, shoulda), but not......scanning through the comments, and, one just can't say that KISS' first four were good.  'Hotter Than Hell' was so lame.  Maybe if it was longer than 33:02 in time, didn't have one or two crap songs or had a tune in the six minute range, it would have been passable.  The S/T LP, 'Dressed To Kill'  (what an absolutely, surprisingly well crafted and well written LP...other than the half minute of dead silence between songs;-)), 'Alive', and 'Destroyer' are four absolute worthwhile albums to own.  Even those who hate the band would have to give begrudging respect to that.  But HTH .....sorry, kicks them out of the running (I listened to it on the highway today, and just had to post)

Benny Goodman's first four were great.  Try those on for a change of pace, and you might agree.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Joe, Hotter Than Hell is all kinds of awesome. It's easily my favorite Kiss album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »
Thinking of The Beatles first four (coulda, woulda, shoulda), but not......scanning through the comments, and, one just can't say that KISS' first four were good.  'Hotter Than Hell' was so lame.  Maybe if it was longer than 33:02 in time, didn't have one or two crap songs or had a tune in the six minute range, it would have been passable.  The S/T LP, 'Dressed To Kill'  (what an absolutely, surprisingly well crafted and well written LP...other than the half minute of dead silence between songs;-)), 'Alive', and 'Destroyer' are four absolute worthwhile albums to own.  Even those who hate the band would have to give begrudging respect to that.  But HTH .....sorry, kicks them out of the running (I listened to it on the highway today, and just had to post)

Please no offense, but if you're critiquing Kiss for "no tunes in the six minute mark" you've missed the entire point of Kiss.  Entirely.   Through the first makeup era, the only songs to even get to FIVE minutes - Black Diamond and Detroit Rock City - were because of studio gimmicks.  If you don't count Carnival of Souls (because it's very different; there is only one song LESS than four minutes on the record; they've got three or four records where NO songs are longer than four minutes), the only song in the entire catalogue to pass six was "I Still Love You" at 6:06.  Hell, you can count the remaining FIVE minute songs on one hand (Odyssey, God Gave RnR To You, Psycho Circus - again, with gimmicks - and Within).

I did a Kiss discography here not too long ago, and Hotter Than Hell was numero uno.  I LOVE that album, and probably listen to it more than any in their catalogue.   

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »

Benny Goodman's first four were great.  Try those on for a change of pace, and you might agree.

DUDE SERIOUSLY???   Hotter Than Hell is my #1 all time favorite Kiss album.  Yes, I'm totally serious.   Parasite, Let Me Go Rock and Roll, All The Way, Mainline, the title track.....that album is just awesome front to back. 

If I had to pick a LEAST favorite of the first six "Klassic Kiss" albums, it would be Dressed to Kill. 

I usually rank them:

1. Hotter Than Hell
2. Kiss
3. Love Gun
4. Rock and Roll Over
5. Destroyer
6. Dressed to Kill
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
Captain Beefheart.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2018, 03:02:04 PM »
I wanted to echo the earlier Spock's Beard nomination.   IMO the only reason Day For Night doesn't get brought up very often is just because it's overshadowed by the others.   It's still a great album.  I only wish they hadn't split up The Healing Colors of Sound into separate tracks.   It's better as an entire piece. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
to Stadler and jammindude:  As to KISS, hey, I reopened the discussion! 

Unlike perhaps 80% on here that don't like the band at all, I was being honest.  I am not a fanboy, but I did somewhat grow up with the band (saw them in Mt. Pleasant in '75, Grand Rapids in '97?)  'Going Blind' and 'Mainline' don't work for me.  I think the rest of the tracks suffer from a very 'plodding' pace (maybe I'm spoiled by the 'Alive' versions of what appear on that LP).  I think that 'Comin' Home' and 'Strange Ways' are ......almost there, but there is just something missing....for me.   

A fair sophomoric effort.

Take the strongest tracks from their S/T LP, combine them with HTH (same goes for RnR Over and Love Gun), and you end up with a couple of really good albums.  (hey, I dissed The Beatles, so, give me a bit of slack here, OK? ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »

Take the strongest tracks from their S/T LP, combine them with HTH (same goes for RnR Over and Love Gun), and you end up with a couple of really good albums.   

Definitely agree on LG/RnRO

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2018, 06:27:01 AM »
Definitely don't agree with RnRO; number FOUR on my list.  Other than "Baby Driver" - Peter Criss ought to be kissing Paul and Gene's feet on the daily for letting him put dreck like Baby Driver and Hooligan ("won't go to school again") onto a record that got bought by more than six people not named "Criscoula" - that's almost a perfect record. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2018, 04:04:53 AM »
Also: Led Zeppelin. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Art

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2018, 07:06:53 AM »
In Flames

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2018, 05:56:34 AM »
Queen.

Was coming here to post this. First 4 albums, while not my favorites, are still amazing.
Spock's Beard is also a great choice, I've been listening to the Neal era quite a lot lately and I'm floored at how good those albums are.
Also, did no one mention Transatlantic? I'm guessing some people didn't like their last album but to me the 4 are phenomenal.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2018, 06:32:55 AM »
Also, did no one mention Transatlantic? I'm guessing some people didn't like their last album but to me the 4 are phenomenal.

I mentioned them earlier so you aren't alone. Probably #1 overall on my list.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2018, 09:30:17 AM »

Check page 1 for my post ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »
Def Leppard

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »

Check page 1 for my post ;)

-Marc.

TLDR  :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.