Author Topic: MP’s kits  (Read 3965 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: MP’s kits
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »
DID.I.SAY.IT.WAS.A.GOD.DAMN.PROBLEM.

:facepalm:

No, you didn't, but I really wanted to hear a well-thought argument on why anyone would think another musician's setup is "stupid" when basically there's absolutely no harm done (to himself or anyone for that matter) in his way of distributing and playing his drums but alright, CAP your thoughts away bro. That makes things on the internet much more serious and it really makes your point stand out.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 03:06:39 AM »
I said Mangini can set up his drums any way he feels - which is fine if it works for HIM...

For example - he can hang upside down from the ceiling and play the drums with carrots.

Ok man whatever works for you.

It doesn't mean however - that someone else cannot then go " that's stupid but go for it "....

I love Mangini as a person and he works for Dream Theater. But I'd rather he played a bit more emotionally and a bit less mechanically / mathematically.

:heart :chill :heart :chill

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2020, 03:46:51 PM »
Purple monster for me. That kit has all you need and more!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
FWIW, the first time I met the band (the Astonishing tour), I was really struck by how small they were.  Mangini, especially, is a teeny, teeny dude.  I briefly considered just putting him in my pocket and taking him home with me.  Frankly, there would have been nothing that the others could have done about it lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »
FWIW, the first time I met the band (the Astonishing tour), I was really struck by how small they were.  Mangini, especially, is a teeny, teeny dude.  I briefly considered just putting him in my pocket and taking him home with me.  Frankly, there would have been nothing that the others could have done about it lol
:lol I haven't met them but I do get that vibe. MP and JMX and I, a 5'7" woman on the lower end of the BMI range, probably wear the same size in a unisex shirt, and MM could probably swim in my shirt. It's funny to think about sometimes.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online tofee35

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »
Purple Monster. That thing is like stepping into the cockpit of a drum rocket ship. The finish was amazing too. It always felt like more of a complete kit that all fit together. His siamese kits felt like two nice kits taped together but neither felt complete to me. To be honest, the sound of the Purple Monster was supreme. It was thick with just enough tone to it. The way MP recorded and tuned the siamese monsters made it difficult to really hear the difference between the 2 sides. I always preferred the thicker metal heads and bigger bass drums. There seemed to me that there was likely less compression needed when mic'd, when the drum sounds cut through naturally. I'm just speculating, but I'll always love that purple monster.

-Tof

Offline frogprog

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »
I would say The Purple/Red/Green Monster is my favorite if I had to choose.
In the 2000's I had the opportunity to do some work at the Tama headquarters and became friendly with my contact there who knew I was a big MP fan. He called me one day and told me to hurry over if I could. I walked in to find the Albino Monster spread all over the floor. It had just shipped in from whoever did all the graphics and MP hadnt even seen it yet. Jose (or whoever was the tech at the time) was going to do the initial set up before the tour started. There were drums , hardware, and boxes of sticks and heads all over the place! He gave me and my buddy a few minutes to drool and then rushed us out of there. Good times!

Online tofee35

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
I would say The Purple/Red/Green Monster is my favorite if I had to choose.
In the 2000's I had the opportunity to do some work at the Tama headquarters and became friendly with my contact there who knew I was a big MP fan. He called me one day and told me to hurry over if I could. I walked in to find the Albino Monster spread all over the floor. It had just shipped in from whoever did all the graphics and MP hadnt even seen it yet. Jose (or whoever was the tech at the time) was going to do the initial set up before the tour started. There were drums , hardware, and boxes of sticks and heads all over the place! He gave me and my buddy a few minutes to drool and then rushed us out of there. Good times!

What a story! You'll never forget that. The Albino was my favorite of the siamese kits.

-Tof

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »
I'd go with purple monster. The sound and the setup are great.