Poll

Which of these albums you wish had existed?

THE BEATLES - Post Let it Be album
LED ZEPPELIN - Ninth full album with Bonham
PINK FLOYD - Post The Final Cut album with Waters
DEEP PURPLE - Fifth album from the MK II lineup
DEEP PURPLE - Fourth album with Coverdale
DEEP PURPLE - Post The Battle Rages On album with Blackmore
RAINBOW - Fourth album with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Ninth album from the original lineup
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to The Mob Rules with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to Dehumanizer with Dio
HEAVEN AND HELL - Second album after The Devil You Know
OZZY OSBOURNE - Third album with Rhandy Rhoads
AC/DC - Post Highway to Hell album with Bon Scott
IRON MAIDEN - Follow up to Fear of the Dark with Bruce
JUDAS PRIEST - Post Painkiller album with Halford
QUEEN - Full post Innuendo album with Freddie
GUNS N' ROSES - Follow up to Use your Illusions with the original lineup
DREAM THEATER - Post Awake album with Kevin Moore
DREAM THEATER - DT11 with Mike Portnoy
others (please specify)

Author Topic: The albums you wish had existed  (Read 12103 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The albums you wish had existed
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »
I'm hesitant to mention Savatage also. On one hand, I'm completely happy with the album that followed Edge of Thorns. On the other hand, it's a crying shame that such a talented guitarist like Criss Oliva passed away so young.

Also Savatage''s demise itself is to mourn. I've come to accept that they got swallowed up by TSO and that it makes no financial sense to keep the band going, but damn.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
I'm hesitant to mention Savatage also.

Me too! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2018, 12:07:53 PM »
I only chose “other”.

I would have loved another Damn Yankees album and another Shadow Gallery album with Mike Baker.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »
I would've loved another Queensryche album after Empire.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
Isn't Abbey Road the post Let it Be album?  It was recorded after Let it Be.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2018, 12:46:57 PM »

I'm not expert on The Beatles so I looked it up on Wikipedia before posting. Abbey Road was released 26 September 1969, Let it Be 8 May 1970.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2018, 01:12:34 PM »

I'm not expert on The Beatles so I looked it up on Wikipedia before posting. Abbey Road was released 26 September 1969, Let it Be 8 May 1970.

But Let It Be was recorded (in fits and starts) between February '68 and February '69.  Abbey Road was recorded (also in fits and starts) from March of '69 to August of '69 and released barely a month later (nowadays, "mixing and mastering" can take months).   

The "1970" recording is largely NOT the Beatles but the work of Phil Spector as he butchered re-arranged the  material that the Beatles gave him (two versions of an album tentatively called "Get Back", one from early  '69, and one from late '69, after Abbey Road had been released).   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »

Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road but was scrapped at the time.  The band was trying to get back to the basics and there was a lot of in fighting going on. So they got (get) back together (Giggity) and recorded Abbey Road, released it, then released Let It Be after.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »

Well played, sir.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 01:33:15 PM »
I was really looking forward to hearing what the next A7X albums would have been like after the increase of input from The Rev.

Another Pinkly Smooth album would have been nice too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2018, 01:41:47 PM »

Well played, sir.

In this case, I was being totally serious. :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
LED ZEPPELIN - Ninth full album with Bonham

OZZY OSBOURNE - Third album with Rhandy Rhoads

IRON MAIDEN - Follow up to Fear of the Dark with Bruce

DREAM THEATER - Post Awake album with Kevin Moore

3 obvious and 1 not so obvious. 

I'll also add in a 4th full ALICE IN CHAINS album with Layne Staley.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

Well played, sir.

In this case, I was being totally serious. :lol

I sure HOPE so.   ;)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
Another PoS album with the classic lineup (Daniel, Fredrick, Johan, Johan, and Kristoffer).

Normally I'd say another Queen album, but "The Show Must Go On" is too perfect of a final piece for the band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
More BOSTON albums with a bit of a harder edge would have been nice.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:39:48 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2018, 07:43:00 PM »

plus a full on Revenge-style follow from KISS.

That's an interesting one. I really liked Revenge. They kind of did a follow-up with Carnival of Souls, which I also really like. That was a stylistic change from Revenge, though. More grunge and sludgy.

Yeah, that was an ok album with a couple great tracks.  Too grungy, though.  I was hoping for another more in your face metal album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
Others:

U2 - the album after Pop had Pop and the Popmart tour both been a smashing success

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »
A proper follow up to The Smashing Pumpkins - Machina album with the original lineup.

Follow up album to Dead Again by Type O Negative had Peter Steele not died.

Another Woe of Tyrants album

Another Sieges Even album with the Navigating/Paramount lineup

Another Mars Volta album with the Frances the Mute lineup

aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 02:10:55 AM »
another DIRE STRAITS album

another VAN HALEN album, regardless of singers

a good YES album, regardless of players, but seriously: a follow up to Talk with the Rabin-Yes-lineup could have been great

a fourth ALICE IN CHAINS album with Layne

another SAVATAGE album, NOT TSO

another PORCUPINE TREE album

another GENESIS album with Phil Collins, not too poppy and not too proggy
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 02:31:38 AM »
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell 3

With all songs penned by Jim Steinman and no interference from record company/likes of Desmond Child. Now don't get me wrong, I really do like the Bat Out Of Hell 3 that we got but I would love to have seen what could have been with this one. I'd love to see what additional songs we would have got from Steinman, I would have loved to see if Meat did the likes of "We're Still The Children" or "What Part Of My Body" or even the songs that would later end up on Braver.

I am glad that we did eventually get a final album with all Steinman songs, I love that album but it is a shame that it came right at what seems to be the end of Meats singing career and when his voice isn't what it used to be. Something like Going All The Way, or Souvenirs on Bat 3 would have sounded even better.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2018, 02:40:22 AM »
I like too The Monster is Loose, but yeah, during Going all the Way even with all the studio work you kinda feel that Meat Loaf's somehow struggling.

There's a section that is previously sung by the female guest, and when that musical passage occours again and it's time for Meat Loaf to sing it, it sounds a bit too flat, the vocal lines requires a slow enunciation and he kinda struggles to sustain those long notes, whereas in the past he would have soared on those vocals.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 03:18:03 AM »
I like too The Monster is Loose, but yeah, during Going all the Way even with all the studio work you kinda feel that Meat Loaf's somehow struggling.

There's a section that is previously sung by the female guest, and when that musical passage occours again and it's time for Meat Loaf to sing it, it sounds a bit too flat, the vocal lines requires a slow enunciation and he kinda struggles to sustain those long notes, whereas in the past he would have soared on those vocals.

That's exactly it, in a way I do like the vocals like that because it sort of ties in with the idea of the song, it adds a touch of fragility and character to it. The one thing I can't deny is that whilst the voice is not what it was the passion is still there. At the same time it's like you say, imagine him with those vocals from years ago, he'd have blown that song out of the water.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2018, 04:10:44 AM »

Whitesnake follow-up to 1987 had Sykes stayed.

Very much on board with that one .

Would've really liked another Ozzy album with Jake E Lee too.

Yeah these.

Id add another KISS album with Ace and also another with Vinnie Vincent.

A Def Leppard follow up to Hysteria with Steve Clarke and Mutt Lange

More Jason Becker - mankind was robbed of his genius.  If there is a God I will personally kick him I n the nuts for that one 😁

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 04:16:41 AM »
I only chose “other”.

I would have loved another Damn Yankees album and another Shadow Gallery album with Mike Baker.

Two good ones there. Whatever happened to Shadow Gallery?

Another one, if Clockwork Angels followed Counterparts

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 04:34:25 AM »
Shadow Gallery made one album and two tours with a new singer (saw them both times). Then they've gone silent, I follow Gary Wehrkamp on Facebook and whenever he posts something it's never anything about SG.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 08:13:56 AM »
Shadow Gallery made one album and two tours with a new singer (saw them both times). Then they've gone silent, I follow Gary Wehrkamp on Facebook and whenever he posts something it's never anything about SG.

Gary lost his home and studio to a fire a couple of years ago.  Nick is friends with him, so he might have some insight into what SG might be up to.

I personally voted for nothing.  Definitely NOT Zeppelin - they were on the downside of everything (largely due to Page's and Bonham's addictions), and I think their legacy would have been severely tarnished had they continued on the path that they were on in 1980.

Boston is a good call.  The only other one I'd call out that hasn't been mentioned is Triumph with Rik Emmett is something I'd like to have seen continue after Surveillance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
Iced Earth:

The Crucible of Man with Ripper on vocals. It wouldn't have made the album any better, but at least it would have been consistent.

Dystopia, Plagues of Babylon, and Incorruptible without Stu singing with his silly Barlow voice.

I like The Glorious Burden the way it is, but of course, I'd love to hear Matt's take.

Every album with the Something Wicked This Way Comes line up.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
In a sense to wish for Matt to be on The Glorious Burden means basically to wish 9/11 never happened, since that was the deciding factor for him to change his life.

I'd love too to hear that album with Matt, but I must say that Ripper did a completely amazing job on the ending of High Water Mark. I can't think of, nor I need to hear, anyone else singing the "It's over now we are retreating" section. And the "IT'S ALL MY FAAAUUUULT" part gives me shivers.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »
Definitely NOT Zeppelin - they were on the downside of everything (largely due to Page's and Bonham's addictions), and I think their legacy would have been severely tarnished had they continued on the path that they were on in 1980.

You are probably right but as this is highly hypothetical, they could have taken a downtime, got their shit together and maybe record some decent records in the 80s. As it is, Plant put out some good records while Page was mostly inactive. That said a second Coverdale/Page would have also been interesting imo.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
I'll still buy it, but I wish the next Rhapsody of Fire album had Fabio Lione and Luca Turilli on it.  :(

I also wish Avantasia's Metal Opera Pt 3 existed and all the other Avantasia albums were released under a different name. But oh well.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
And another one: Stevie Ray Vaughan was clearly on the rise with In Step after coming clean, would have been interesting to have more of him.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would have loved a post-Calling All Stations album by Genesis with Ray Wilson. While it's certainly not their best album, I really like the direction they were heading in, and I really like Ray's solo output since. I think another album or two would have given us some great music and given Ray a bit more recognition. And without it, CAS seems like an afterthought for the band, which is a shame because it is really good.

...And obviously, although Jason is my favorite Metallica member, I've always wondered the direction Metallica would have gone if Cliff was still alive.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »
...And obviously, although Jason is my favorite Metallica member, I've always wondered the direction Metallica would have gone if Cliff was still alive.

Most likely the same, I'd wager. The thing about death is that makes you a "legend" and immortal, and sometimes idolized, because you never get to see people's failings. Had Elvis died at 27 like many other people, we'd never have imaged that he would grow to be an overweight drug addict. An alive Kurt Cobain could be either a revered icon of the grunge genre, a living legend, or a fat and bald has-been who, say, had split up Nirvana in 1997 or something to go into a solo carrer that no one would have followed.

Of course it's fun speculating but we can't really, beyond a certain point, imagine how 30 years old Cliff would have behaved based on how he was in his 20's. We think of him playing on those three albums and we can't imagine him "selling out" for lack of a better term, but could have anyone seen Metallica as young hungry kids and imagine them doing Load? but they did. Most likely Cliff would have followed suit as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »
I like the idea of another Kiss album with Vinnie Vincent.  I love the two that they did very much. 

As for Cobain, in my opinion, had he lived, he would be Lou Reed.   Never quite achieving the same success as he did with his first band, but being a prickly ass and quasi-genre godfather.  Maybe  gracing us with half-assed Nirvana reunions here and there in and amongst preachy, pretentious solo works.