Poll

Which of these albums you wish had existed?

THE BEATLES - Post Let it Be album
LED ZEPPELIN - Ninth full album with Bonham
PINK FLOYD - Post The Final Cut album with Waters
DEEP PURPLE - Fifth album from the MK II lineup
DEEP PURPLE - Fourth album with Coverdale
DEEP PURPLE - Post The Battle Rages On album with Blackmore
RAINBOW - Fourth album with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Ninth album from the original lineup
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to The Mob Rules with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to Dehumanizer with Dio
HEAVEN AND HELL - Second album after The Devil You Know
OZZY OSBOURNE - Third album with Rhandy Rhoads
AC/DC - Post Highway to Hell album with Bon Scott
IRON MAIDEN - Follow up to Fear of the Dark with Bruce
JUDAS PRIEST - Post Painkiller album with Halford
QUEEN - Full post Innuendo album with Freddie
GUNS N' ROSES - Follow up to Use your Illusions with the original lineup
DREAM THEATER - Post Awake album with Kevin Moore
DREAM THEATER - DT11 with Mike Portnoy
others (please specify)

Author Topic: The albums you wish had existed  (Read 12094 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: The albums you wish had existed
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
The only other one I'd call out that hasn't been mentioned is Triumph with Rik Emmett is something I'd like to have seen continue after Surveillance.

Good call.  The Sport of Kings was a bit disappointing, but Surveillance was an improvement.  I have a feeling, though, that we'd have gotten many promises that the band was going to return to the glory days of Allied Forces through T7 and been continually disappointed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would have loved a post-Calling All Stations album by Genesis with Ray Wilson. While it's certainly not their best album, I really like the direction they were heading in, and I really like Ray's solo output since. I think another album or two would have given us some great music and given Ray a bit more recognition. And without it, CAS seems like an afterthought for the band, which is a shame because it is really good.

...And obviously, although Jason is my favorite Metallica member, I've always wondered the direction Metallica would have gone if Cliff was still alive.

What AJFA would sound like if it was finished.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
In a sense to wish for Matt to be on The Glorious Burden means basically to wish 9/11 never happened, since that was the deciding factor for him to change his life.

I'd love too to hear that album with Matt, but I must say that Ripper did a completely amazing job on the ending of High Water Mark. I can't think of, nor I need to hear, anyone else singing the "It's over now we are retreating" section. And the "IT'S ALL MY FAAAUUUULT" part gives me shivers.

Yeah I know. Ripper owns that song. I was listening to a 2004 bootleg of the Gettysburg trilogy and he nailed it. Hell, he was on fire the whole show. Fast forward 3 years at the Wacken show and you could tell he didn't care anymore.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2018, 11:54:48 AM »
I was at that Wacken show! cold and muddy night  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would have loved a post-Calling All Stations album by Genesis with Ray Wilson. While it's certainly not their best album, I really like the direction they were heading in, and I really like Ray's solo output since. I think another album or two would have given us some great music and given Ray a bit more recognition. And without it, CAS seems like an afterthought for the band, which is a shame because it is really good.

I like parts of Calling All Stations, but it just feels too uneven and unfinished to me to consider it "really good".  But yeah, I would have loved to hear a second album from this lineup, as I thought Calling All Stations showed a lot of potential.  The mistake they made was calling the band Genesis.  It immediately put the listener into a certain mindset, and also obligated Ray Wilson to sing things that were way outside of his range.  I get why they called it Genesis, but I think it ultimately worked against them.  Call it something else, so everyone understands that this is a different band.

Also, I would love to hear what Dream Theater would have come up with after Falling Into Infinity if they'd kept Derek.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
Scenes from a Memory with his influence, possibly.

Metropolis part II was already a demo, so if it wasn't developed for FII, at worst it would have been a long song on the next album. All things being equal (the band wanting to prove themselves and do whatever they want minus enlisting Jordan), the idea to make Metropolis 2 into an album would have probably arose anyway - has the band ever commented if having Jordan on board influenced them on this? I mean, like "wow, we got Jordan, we can do anything, let's go all the way! yeah, let's do a concept album! hey, what about, since we're at it.... expanding Metropolis 2 into a full album?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
I only chose “other”.

I would have loved another Damn Yankees album and another Shadow Gallery album with Mike Baker.

Two good ones there. Whatever happened to Shadow Gallery?

Another one, if Clockwork Angels followed Counterparts

There have been enough hints on Facebook of music possibly in the works (mostly on Brendt’s page) that I’m hopeful they’ll eventually have another album. I just don’t think there’s any kind of projected timeline, or guarantee.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
A Def Leppard follow up to Hysteria with Steve Clarke and Mutt Lange

No thank you. I'd rather a follow up to High n Dry with Pete Willis. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
The only other one I'd call out that hasn't been mentioned is Triumph with Rik Emmett is something I'd like to have seen continue after Surveillance.

Good call.  The Sport of Kings was a bit disappointing, but Surveillance was an improvement.  I have a feeling, though, that we'd have gotten many promises that the band was going to return to the glory days of Allied Forces through T7 and been continually disappointed.

As much as I like Triumph, I think they were on the way down and weren't going to return to the glory days of Just a Game through Thunder Seven again.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »

As much as I like Triumph, I think they were on the way down and weren't going to return to the glory days of Just a Game through Thunder Seven again.

Some would say Rush was on the way down after the late 80s as well, but they seemed to do ok.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
No, what they say about Rush is that they were on their way down after the early 80's. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2018, 08:26:11 PM »
No, what they say about Rush is that they were on their way down after the early 80's. ;D

:biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2018, 08:42:06 PM »
I *really* would have loved to have seen what AC/DC would have been like if Bon were still around... but TBH, I'm not sure it would have been the same.   

Isn't it weird when you almost feel like a band was better off with their icon dead?   Can you imagine Back in Black even being anywhere close to the massive genre crossing monolith that it was if it wasn't riding on the back of Bon's death?    It's almost a shame to say that I don't think it would have.   

But I still would have loved to have heard it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2018, 03:59:37 AM »

Yeah, good call but then pyromania wouldn't exist.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »
Metallica - AJFA with Cliff

Tesseract w/ Ashe

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2018, 08:23:56 AM »
I like Altered State a lot but Polaris and Sonder are my favorites, so I'm glad Dan is back.  I've also seen them with both singers and I think Daniel can pull it off live considerably better.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
I like Altered State a lot but Polaris and Sonder are my favorites, so I'm glad Dan is back.  I've also seen them with both singers and I think Daniel can pull it off live considerably better.

I haven't listened to anything since Altered State.  I did not like Dan's vocals on the album previous so I have no desire to try them again.  +1 for more TesseracT with Ashe.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »

I haven't listened to anything since Altered State.  I did not like Dan's vocals on the album previous so I have no desire to try them again.  +1 for more TesseracT with Ashe.

Would it help to know that the two new ones don't have the screaming that One has?  I think you should give them a spin - maybe something changed and his voice would be more appealing to you now.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »

I like parts of Calling All Stations, but it just feels too uneven and unfinished to me to consider it "really good".  But yeah, I would have loved to hear a second album from this lineup, as I thought Calling All Stations showed a lot of potential.  The mistake they made was calling the band Genesis.  It immediately put the listener into a certain mindset, and also obligated Ray Wilson to sing things that were way outside of his range.  I get why they called it Genesis, but I think it ultimately worked against them.  Call it something else, so everyone understands that this is a different band.

Also, I would love to hear what Dream Theater would have come up with after Falling Into Infinity if they'd kept Derek.

I still haven't listened to CaS all the way through, but I've heard and really like the title track.

I do wonder what would have happened to them if they had stuck it out for a second album. I've looked up a bit about the album and it seems Ray was certainly keen to but Mike/Tony not so much?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
Would it help to know that the two new ones don't have the screaming that One has?  I think you should give them a spin - maybe something changed and his voice would be more appealing to you now.

Yes that does help. Wasn't a fan of Dan screaming.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2018, 08:50:27 AM »

I still haven't listened to CaS all the way through, but I've heard and really like the title track.

I do wonder what would have happened to them if they had stuck it out for a second album. I've looked up a bit about the album and it seems Ray was certainly keen to but Mike/Tony not so much?

By most accounts, Tony wasn't thrilled with touring theaters and small arenas after being a stadium act with Phil for the past five odd years.   It's my understanding that as goes Tony Banks, so goes Genesis, and he was done with it. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2018, 09:54:41 AM »

Why wouldn't Pyromania exist?  Wasn't Pyromania largely "a follow up to High n Dry with Pete Willis"?  He co-wrote nearly half of the songs and played rhythm guitar on all of them.  Wasn't Collen a last minute replacement who contributed relatively little to the album?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »
Great idea for a thread!  I went with a 4th Rainbow album with Dio.  It would have been interesting if Ian Gillan hadn't turned Blackmore down.  Then he would have been on the 4th album instead of Bonnet.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »

Why wouldn't Pyromania exist?  Wasn't Pyromania largely "a follow up to High n Dry with Pete Willis"?  He co-wrote nearly half of the songs and played rhythm guitar on all of them.  Wasn't Collen a last minute replacement who contributed relatively little to the album?

Replacing Willis with Collen, was the best decision Def Lep ever made!

Anyway, I would have loved to hear another AiC album with Layne. Or maybe another Faith No More album after Album of the Year, but before Sol Invictus.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
The Who - Lifehouse

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »

By most accounts, Tony wasn't thrilled with touring theaters and small arenas after being a stadium act with Phil for the past five odd years.   It's my understanding that as goes Tony Banks, so goes Genesis, and he was done with it. 

That's a bit of an oversimplification, but yeah.  It wasn't that Banks felt demeaned doing smaller venues after filling stadiums or anything; it's that it was a sign that Genesis was over.  The poor sales of the album and poor ticket sales to the shows (which led to many shows, and eventually the tour itself, being cancelled) I'm sure was a blow to the ego, but more realistically, the idea of starting small again and building back up just didn't seem worth it.  He was "only" 47, but had been in Genesis since he was 19.  He'd toured the world, played huge venues, had a lot of fun, but it was time to do something else.

It was only Tony and Mike.  Ray certainly wasn't calling the shots, Mike still has/had The Mechanics, so when Tony decided Genesis was over, it's not like they were going to find another keyboard player and carry on.  Ray may have wanted to, but I'm sure Mike's feelings were much closer to Tony's.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
And another one: Stevie Ray Vaughan was clearly on the rise with In Step after coming clean, would have been interesting to have more of him.

Hell of a good call there he was definitely finding his own after sobriety found him, would've been awesome to see where it took him.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
And another one: Stevie Ray Vaughan was clearly on the rise with In Step after coming clean, would have been interesting to have more of him.

Hell of a good call there he was definitely finding his own after sobriety found him, would've been awesome to see where it took him.

Absolutely

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2018, 02:20:56 PM »
The Who - Lifehouse

Hmm... that's a choice I neve rwould have considered. While interesting, I think Pete's vision might have bitten off more than he and his band mates could chew at the time, and they ultimately chose the better path, the one that gave us Who's Next.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
I certainly wouldn't want to lose SFAM, but it would be interesting to see what would have become of the Metropolis Pt. 2 if it had remained a self-contained song and not morphed into a concept album.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
I certainly wouldn't want to lose SFAM, but it would be interesting to see what would have become of the Metropolis Pt. 2 if it had remained a self-contained song and not morphed into a concept album.

I'm one of the biggest fans of SFAM ever, but sometimes I wonder it too. More precisely: yeah, we basically got the best album ever of the entire history of mankind (told I'm a big fan of the album  ;D ), but the price we had to pay for that is that we didn't get a proper "song".

If I hear a "Metropolis pt. 1", I could anticipate that pt. 2, while not being directly in the same style, keeps the mood of the first part of the song and I can look forward to a song with the same vibe of the centerpiece of Images and Words... we never got that, like instead we got In the Presence of Enemies pt. 2 (just pretend they would have been on separate albums).

Not complaining 'cause as I said SFAM is awesome beyond all words, but a little part of me misses Metropolis part 2 the song. We can pretend it's Home in a sense, Home for me the deserves the title of "imaginary Metropolis pt. 2 standalone song", because of all the lyrical and musical callbacks.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2018, 06:09:23 PM »
Peter Gabriel - I/O
Jon Anderson - Zamran
Jon Anderson - The Big If
Pink Floyd - Household Objects
The Spent Poets - Steve

These all were released in demo form other than Shaming, but I can only imagine how they would have been had they been finished as the artist intended, and at-the-time.

Kaviar - Kaviar
Jeff Buckley - Sketches (for My Sweetheart the Drunk)
The Beach Boys - Smile
Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming of the True

No Album info, but these collaborations likely would have released albums:
H.E.L.P. (Hendrix, Emerson, Lake and Palmer)
XYZ
Cinema
Second Nature (Matheos, Morse, Trewavas and Portnoy)
OSI with Gildenlow and/or John Arch on vocals
Genesis with Kevin Gilbert singing and/or producing (was Calling All Stations)
Dream Theater with Kevin Gilbert producing (was Falling Into Infinity)
The Dear Hunter - Migrant featuring Kimbra (her record label wouldn't let her appear on this I guess)

Hypothetical (Portnoy):
Portnoy + Akerfeldt (+ Steven Wilson)
Portnoy + Ty Tabor and any of the members of Jellyfish in a Power-Pop band
Portnoy + Daniel Gildenlow in a band writing and recording all-new, original music
Portnoy + Jim Matheos (not OSI obviously)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
Was I/O what later became "Up"?  What do you suppose was or would have been different?

I almost put down XYZ and Cinema.   I would have loved either (and still waiting for Trevor to release the 20 min. + "Cinema" song). 

Please, no offense, but the "Proposed Portnoy" do nothing for me; Portnoy Sykes, though, YES PLEASE!, and I would love a new Twisted Sister record with Mike on the skins.

Oh, and Velvet Revolver with Myles Kennedy just because more Myles is good Myles.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2018, 01:14:59 AM »
And I would have liked another White Lion album with Vito Bratta. Guy could definitely play guitar and than just vanished from the music scene.  ???
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2018, 01:25:34 AM »
And I would have liked another White Lion album with Vito Bratta. Guy could definitely play guitar and than just vanished from the music scene.  ???

Agreed .   I can take or leave Mike Tramp but would've liked some more from Bratta in something.

A bit more obscure but I was also a fan of Marc Richard Diglio (XYZ) and would've liked something more from him/them.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au