Poll

Which of these albums you wish had existed?

THE BEATLES - Post Let it Be album
LED ZEPPELIN - Ninth full album with Bonham
PINK FLOYD - Post The Final Cut album with Waters
DEEP PURPLE - Fifth album from the MK II lineup
DEEP PURPLE - Fourth album with Coverdale
DEEP PURPLE - Post The Battle Rages On album with Blackmore
RAINBOW - Fourth album with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Ninth album from the original lineup
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to The Mob Rules with Dio
BLACK SABBATH - Follow up to Dehumanizer with Dio
HEAVEN AND HELL - Second album after The Devil You Know
OZZY OSBOURNE - Third album with Rhandy Rhoads
AC/DC - Post Highway to Hell album with Bon Scott
IRON MAIDEN - Follow up to Fear of the Dark with Bruce
JUDAS PRIEST - Post Painkiller album with Halford
QUEEN - Full post Innuendo album with Freddie
GUNS N' ROSES - Follow up to Use your Illusions with the original lineup
DREAM THEATER - Post Awake album with Kevin Moore
DREAM THEATER - DT11 with Mike Portnoy
others (please specify)

Author Topic: The albums you wish had existed  (Read 12418 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: The albums you wish had existed
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2021, 08:01:44 PM »
Zak Stevens' performance on the whole of Edge of Thorns is his best, imo. and the guitar playing on it is crazy good. So, if you are looking for non-Jon Oliva material that you might enjoy, the Edge of Thorns album is the way to go, I think. And He Carves His Stone and Follow Me might just be the best songs on it, so...(well, with the title-track too, although it's less of a guitar showcase...)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2021, 08:02:02 PM »
That would be more from a guitar point of view but still most among my favs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2021, 08:02:11 PM »
-An album from: Second Nature: Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Pete Trawavas, Jim Matheos
-An album from OSI (or whatever name it would have been called) - Jim Matheos, Mike Portnoy, Sean Malone, Daniel Gildenlow
-Happy the Man - An album working with Peter Gabriel (they were going to but the band broke up before they had a chance)
-HELP - Jimi Hendrix, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Carl Palmer
-XYZ - Jimmy Page, Chris Squire, Alan White, Dave Lawson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2021, 08:02:49 PM »
Zak Stevens' performance on the whole of Edge of Thorns is his best, imo. and the guitar playing on it is crazy good. So, if you are looking for non-Jon Oliva material that you might enjoy, the Edge of Thorns album is the way to go, I think. And He Carves His Stone and Follow Me might just be the best songs on it, so...(well, with the title-track too, although it's less of a guitar showcase...)

I'll add the solos on Degrees of Sanity and Miles Away, holy shit this guy was gifted.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2021, 08:04:18 PM »
-An album from: Second Nature: Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Pete Trawavas, Jim Matheos
-An album from OSI (or whatever name it would have been called) - Jim Matheos, Mike Portnoy, Sean Malone, Daniel Gildenlow
-Happy the Man - An album working with Peter Gabriel (they were going to but the band broke up before they had a chance)
-HELP - Jimi Hendrix, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Carl Palmer
-XYZ - Jimmy Page, Chris Squire, Alan White, Dave Lawson

Hey, we're having a conversation here. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »

I'll add the solos on Degrees of Sanity and Miles Away, holy shit this guy was gifted.

I do remember He Carves His Stone as pretty rocking.

I have a busy weekend so I'll get back to you guys next week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2021, 08:33:26 PM »
Student giving the teacher homework.  How the tables have turned!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2021, 11:08:49 PM »
I'll add to the list...

Liquid Tension Experiment: Mike Portnoy, Tony Levin, Jordan Rudess, Dimebag Darrell
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2021, 12:59:23 AM »
I'll add to the list...

Liquid Tension Experiment: Mike Portnoy, Tony Levin, Jordan Rudess, Dimebag Darrell

What an odd combination.  Dime was brilliant, but don't see him being able to keep up with the other three.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2021, 02:17:06 AM »
Fifth METALLICA album with Cliff Burton on Bass and Flemming producing.

Or just And Justice For All with Cliff on Bass and Master of Puppets production.

I would love to have an interdimensional cable version of a 4th Metallica album with Cliff on bass, since I actually wouldn't want to alter the actual Metallica career.

Though Justice with a fantastic mix would be nice. Not sure I'd want an MoP production, but something a bit closer to how they sound live would be good.

Yes I meant 4th.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2021, 03:32:59 AM »
Following on from my comment on the Maiden thread, a beautifully produced and mixed Maiden album you can test your stereo with. Still haven’t had one of those. Maybe next time?

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2021, 05:13:59 AM »
The new Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman album that was supposed to happen but never came to fruition for some weird reason..   :mehlin

One more Rush album to make it a nice round number of twenty studio albums.  Hopefully, we get some new music from Geddy and Alex in the near future.

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2021, 05:51:30 AM »
A Black Sabbath Dehumanizer style album with Rob Halford. I thought he sounded fantastic singing computer god when he filled in for those shows in 1992. A whole album would've been interesting to hear
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2021, 06:48:46 AM »
I'll add to the list...

What an odd combination.  Dime was brilliant, but don't see him being able to keep up with the other three.

Yeah, they'd do fucking laps around him for sure.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2021, 07:01:04 AM »
I'll add to the list...

So Dimebag, this next section will be a oscillating mixolydian/Phrygian lick in 17/18 being subdivided between 4/5/3/5. Cool?

Yea....I'm gonna do some pinch harmonics and people will not care what ya'll are doing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2021, 07:03:35 AM »
I'll add to the list...

So Dimebag, this next section will be a oscillating mixolydian/Phrygian lick in 17/18 being subdivided between 4/5/3/5. Cool?

Yea....I'm gonna do some pinch harmonics and people will not care what ya'll are doing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.   That was a good one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2021, 07:05:07 AM »
A Black Sabbath Dehumanizer style album with Rob Halford. I thought he sounded fantastic singing computer god when he filled in for those shows in 1992. A whole album would've been interesting to hear

Oooh, that's a good one.  I like that idea.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2021, 07:08:03 AM »
More music from Vito Bratta

A world where Jason Becker never got ALS.

An Ace Frehley album as good as his 78 solo album.

A Virgin Steele album with the production values DeFeiss’ talent deserves.

I'd take something from Vito without Mike Tramp.   I have the four White Lion records with Bratta and they're good, but I just can't connect with those vocals.

Oh, and Ace's Anomaly is close.  I really dig that album.   The Sweet cover is killer and Too Many Faces is excellent.

Offline HOF

« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2021, 07:10:16 AM »
I, and possibly I alone, would have liked to hear a second Cherone VH album as was in the works before they parted ways.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2021, 07:18:01 AM »
I, and possibly I alone, would have liked to hear a second Cherone VH album as was in the works before they parted ways.

I would have listened to that.  I'm a big Cherone fan. I know I would have liked to have seen a tour.

I'm also in the minority in that I would have taken another Deep Purple album with JLT (though the album that preliminary work became, The Battle Rages On, is one of my favorites, so I want that album to remain as well).

Offline romdrums

« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2021, 07:28:54 AM »

I also would have been stoked for an EVH instrumental album, just something completely different from Van Halen. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2021, 07:45:03 AM »

I also would have been stoked for an EVH instrumental album, just something completely different from Van Halen.

Oh yeah, that would have been cool to hear. Maybe someday someone will curate and release all the material he supposedly has recorded over the years that was never used.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2021, 07:48:56 AM »

Oh yeah, that would have been cool to hear. Maybe someday someone will curate and release all the material he supposedly has recorded over the years that was never used.

I imagine that is going to be an absolute treasure trove.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »

If they would have put in some effort in a second record, give it time and really work on the songs AND have a decent production, that could have been a really good record.

I have a soft spot for the Cherone fronted VH but some songs on III just don't work and the production sounds like it was recorded in someones garage.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2021, 10:02:49 AM »

I'd take something from Vito without Mike Tramp.   I have the four White Lion records with Bratta and they're good, but I just can't connect with those vocals.

Oh, and Ace's Anomaly is close.  I really dig that album.   The Sweet cover is killer and Too Many Faces is excellent.

I agree on Tramp’s vocals. He was there for his looks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »

If they would have put in some effort in a second record, give it time and really work on the songs AND have a decent production, that could have been a really good record.

I have a soft spot for the Cherone fronted VH but some songs on III just don't work and the production sounds like it was recorded in someones garage.

I pretty much think it was.  :) :) :)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #201 on: September 03, 2021, 02:58:22 PM »
Ed had his 5150 studio, he should have been able to make VH3 sound better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2021, 03:57:40 PM »
When I see a necropost like this, I usually assume WildRanger is behind it!   :lol

I dont' remember if I posted in this thread previously, but the obvious answers here are

1.  More Rush albums with Terry Brown producing.

2.  More Rainbow albums with Dio.

3.  Another Dio album with Sabbath immediately following Mob Rules.

4.  Triumph reuniting and picking up in the vein of Thunder Seven.

EDIT:  Just noticed that there was a poll attached to this and that I did respond and mentioned 1-3 already.   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2021, 10:39:50 AM »
For curiosity sake:

-Seasons End with Fish on vocals. It kind of was what Vigil in the Wilderness of Mirrors in some ways.
-No Exit with John Arch on vocals
-Drama with Jon Anderson on vocals

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2021, 11:05:26 AM »
For curiosity sake:

-Seasons End with Fish on vocals. It kind of was what Vigil in the Wilderness of Mirrors in some ways.
-No Exit with John Arch on vocals
-Drama with Jon Anderson on vocals

When I listen to Season’s End I can hear Fish singing on it in my head.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2021, 11:30:36 AM »
3.  Another Dio album with Sabbath immediately following Mob Rules.

Well, we got Holy Diver.. I would've rather that than another Sabbath record.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »
Pretty disappointed Beautiful Sin never made a second album. Their debut was awesome.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »

I always really liked Tramp's vocals, very unique voice and a big reason why White Lion became successful.  Vito Bratta is a insanely good guitar player!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2021, 12:07:43 PM »
White Lion became succesful??

Offline HOF

« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2021, 12:13:31 PM »

I always really liked Tramp's vocals, very unique voice and a big reason why White Lion became successful.  Vito Bratta is a insanely good guitar player!

I don't think Tramp is a great singer, but he was also the songwriter (along with Bratta) and in terms of the genre he wasn't that bad of a singer. I agree he was somewhat unique. It's not like a record company put the band together and picked him for his looks or anything like that.