Author Topic: Insects in the home: do you kill them or not?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Insects in the home: do you kill them or not?
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:30 PM »
Figured this would be an interesting topic of discussion, because I love insects, but hate them inside my living space. Spiders I'll generally try to capture and release outside, but if they're super small and by the window, I'll leave them be, just like a fly.

However, there are two insects I've encountered since I moved into this apartment a couple years ago (ground level, 2 floors, only one neighbor, hooray). Cockroaches and house centipedes. Haven't seen a roach in well over a year, thankfully, but I kill them mercilessly on the spot. Zero tolerance for roaches in the home, no question about it. House centipedes, while beneficial and not dangerous to humans, are terrifying and move way too quickly. They look either like prehistoric monsters shrunk to miniature sizes, or very small Pokemon. Spiders? Flies? Generally okay, but if you're anything else, you played yourself. I came in the front door the other day, turned on the light, and a big ol' house centipede scurried out from the front closet and stopped right in front of me. Had a staring contest for a minute, then... buh-bye! GTFO.  :lol

Do you kill 'em 'cause the missus/hubby is too afraid? Do you let 'em out? Do you collect their corpses (that's so metal)? Who is your friend and who gets the shoe? Also, ants. Ants get killed every time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Insects in the home: do you kill them or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
Kill everything except lady bugs.  They're the only things easy (and cute) enough to catch and release.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 01:08:39 PM »
If I see a spider, it is dead.  I will actively go out of my way to make sure I kill it. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z6bNYUK3dY

I have a whole series of videos like that so I think that sums up how I feel about House Centipedes which are really the only bugs I find in my house, and usually only in the basement.  I often just leave them be, but sometimes if I want to chill in the basement, it needs to go.  I can't have that near me if I am watching TV nor would I want to risk having a friend come down and see them cause it just gives an impression of a dirty place even thugh that has nothing to do with their presence.  They just look so nasty and also have a bad bite.  Either way, they aren't that bad to have around as they eat pretty much all the rest of the insects.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »
If it's a daddy long legs spider, I'll leave it (most of the time).

Literally anything else, I'll kill the fucker indiscriminately. It's Australia, you never know what's gonna try to kill you later in your sleep.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
I never kill them. I try to catch them to release them outside and leave them be otherwise.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
Spiders and ants will die by my hands.  The cats get the rest on their own for nutrients.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
Catch and release outside. Unless it's a cockroach....then they are dead. Spiders and all the other creepy crawlers for the most part won't infest your house. Cockroaches could.

Everyone in the neighborhood knows to call me if they have a snake on their property or in their garage/house. I'll capture them and release them out in the woods. Just did it three days ago where a pair of Black Snakes were mating in my neighbors garage. I F'n hate the fact people just outright kill snakes for no good reason. Unfortunately, people are so uneducated about them that every snake is either a 'copperhead' or 'Watter Moccasin'.....because.....King Snakes share a similar coloration to copperheads and black snakes are well...black...just like a water moccasin. (Blob is excluded for the reasons he stated....the bite from most snakes 'down under' will kill you in a matter of minutes  :lol)

You WANT King Snakes and Black Snakes to be around your property. King's will eat venomous snakes and both King and Black snakes will keep any rodent or pest population down. I mean....just turn your head for a few minutes and they'll be gone and on their way.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »
I would soil myself if I ever saw a snake in my home, but I live in Illinois...

cram - AUGH. Your videos are fascinating, in a horrific way. Screw house centipedes. God damn are they creepy. I know they're beneficial as far as eating other pests but nothing that moves that fast with that many legs lives if I can help it. Especially when I go months without seeing one, and then suddenly see a few adults. Had one run across my bare feet a few weeks ago and I about lost it. Can't even enjoy a sockless Saturday...

I need to get me a cat.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »
Marc... Volume 3, shot #2 was fantastic!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »
I let them go

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »
Kill everything except lady bugs.  They're the only things easy (and cute) enough to catch and release.

Pretty much this
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 01:57:27 PM »

Pretty much this

Ditto, although I don't know that I've ever seen a ladybug in the house, so my basic answer is that, if you invade my home, you die.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
Kill everything especially lady bugs.  They're the only things cute enough to truly enjoy the murder experience.

FTFM

I would soil myself if I ever saw a snake in my home, but I live in Illinois...

This is the only reason I don't own a flamethrower. If I saw a snake I'd instinctively burn my neighborhood down before it would occur to me that I was probably safe all along.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
INSIDE the home, they're generally dead unless they are both harmless and too hard to catch and kill.  I will hunt down and kill anything that is bad.  Black widows, obviously.  Flies, because they are disgusting.  Moths, because they eat clothes.  But if there is a harmless kind of spider on the high vaulted ceiling, I'm generally not going to bothered.  A few Teds (anyone know the reference?  I don't know what they are really called) get in, I'm leaving them alone because they're too hard to catch and completely harmless. 

Outside, if they aren't something that is likely to cause harm (black widows, wasps, and since someone mentioned snakes, rattlers) or likely to try to invade the home, they are entitled to live.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »
Living with my wife and my 7 year old daughter, I am tasked with killing anything and everything on sight.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 02:08:02 PM »
cram - AUGH. Your videos are fascinating, in a horrific way. Screw house centipedes. God damn are they creepy. I know they're beneficial as far as eating other pests but nothing that moves that fast with that many legs lives if I can help it. Especially when I go months without seeing one, and then suddenly see a few adults. Had one run across my bare feet a few weeks ago and I about lost it. Can't even enjoy a sockless Saturday...

I need to get me a cat.

I take that as a compliment and also, my cat loves "playing" with the centipedes (that's in one of the videos as well  :lol) so a cat could really help your situation. 

Marc... Volume 3, shot #2 was fantastic!

There he is!  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
If they’re outside my house, fine, they live another day. As soon as they invade inside, they’re dead on sight. Except wasps nests. Fuck those guys. Under my eaves are magnets for them. Sprayed like eight to ten different, new nests a couple weeks ago. The less wasps near my house, the better. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 02:31:57 PM »
Depends on the bug and depends on where its at. Anything in the bedroom has to die. Anything outside the bedroom, i'll think about it. There's been a shit ton of stink bugs recently. There were marked for death. Lady bugs get a pass always.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
Should also add that I have one of those outdoor light zapper things.  I don't know how effective they really are, but I really enjoy when I hear the buzz of something flying into the light.  I loved those as a kid that when I saw one in home depot a couple summers ago it became an impulse buy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »
I am too lazy/have enough trouble taking care of myself to take care of an animal, but a cat would definitely be my pet. My parents have 4, and they're enough fun for me  :biggrin:

I've never had beetles in my place but lately on my front porch when the light is on at night, these tiny little brown beetles appear. They're super hard because I've accidentally stepped on them and they make the loudest crunch I've ever heard. Ugh.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
I'm in a lower level/basement (has three exterior doors) so I get my share of insects. I usually leave the house centipedes alone because they end up killing silverfish and the like. I usually only kill spiders if they're super large because I don't need those ending up in my bed.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
Kill list: wasps, mosquitoes, flies, cicadas (which I’m terrified of), ants, and centipedes

Spare list: spiders (I love spiders and actually have two tarantulas as pets), ladybugs, bees, and basically anything else that gets in
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
Oh I forgot, do you folks get bad fruit flies? I have to set some gnarly traps once a year it seems.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 08:38:50 PM »
As much as I'd like to be the better companion with my fellow creatures on this spaceship we call Earth, I'm not. They usually die.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »
I don't like killing anything, but if it's in my home then it's a different story. Unless it's something harmless, I will kill it. I'll spend however long it takes to get rid of it as I have many times in the past  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 08:59:04 PM »
As much as I'd like to be the better companion with my fellow creatures on this spaceship we call Earth, I'm not. They usually die.

This is closest to me.   I set a "wall" around my house, foundation, and I live and let live for those things on out the outside, but from the wall in, it's war. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
Only if they are disease vectors or actively damage things. Otherwise not.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 06:30:56 AM »
I don't want anything in my house and for some reason I have a special hatred of flies.  I'll gas the whole family with bug spray to take down a fly.

But this reminded me of when I was a kid.  In the spring, me and my brother would catch fireflies and sneak them into my parents bedroom so that later that night when all was dark they would get a nice light show.  But if my kids did that to me i'd be pretty pissed.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 07:29:28 AM »

This is closest to me.   I set a "wall" around my house, foundation, and I live and let live for those things on out the outside, but from the wall in, it's war.

:lol This is totally me.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »
If they’re outside my house, fine, they live another day. As soon as they invade inside, they’re dead on sight. Except wasps nests. Fuck those guys. Under my eaves are magnets for them. Sprayed like eight to ten different, new nests a couple weeks ago. The less wasps near my house, the better.

This

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »

This.

Something to note about roaches since were on the topic of disease vectors; German Roaches in particular, are postively thigmotactic. Meaning that they like to have something touching all or most of their body surface area as much as possible, and at all times. So they typically cram themselves into extemely tight spaces, or in groups with other roaches. They like to forage at night too, for obvious reasons (less likely to be seen by a predator is a good one). And usually don't venture out into the light very often. When you see them out several at a time when there is light (natural or otherwise) in a room, you can bet it's usually because there are too many elsewhere for them to fit into. Something to think about.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »

This.

Something to note about roaches since were on the topic of disease vectors; German Roaches in particular, are postively thigmotactic. Meaning that they like to have something touching all or most of their body surface area as much as possible, and at all times. So they typically cram themselves into extemely tight spaces, or in groups with other roaches. They like to forage at night too, for obvious reasons (less likely to be seen by a predator is a good one). And usually don't venture out into the light very often. When you see them out several at a time when there is light (natural or otherwise) in a room, you can bet it's usually because there are too many elsewhere for them to fit into. Something to think about.  :biggrin:

If I see one of these, I am going to target and stocking up on nerf ammo and modding the gun for more rapid fire.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »
I don't want anything in my house and for some reason I have a special hatred of flies.  I'll gas the whole family with bug spray to take down a fly.

But this reminded me of when I was a kid.  In the spring, me and my brother would catch fireflies and sneak them into my parents bedroom so that later that night when all was dark they would get a nice light show.  But if my kids did that to me i'd be pretty pissed.

When I was a kid I'd go outside and try to hit as many fireflies as I could with a big wiffle ball bat. Looking back on it, that's pretty horrifying. I recall once hitting over 120 in an hour.