Author Topic: Does anyone hear listen to jazz?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline bill1971

Does anyone hear listen to jazz?
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »
After many many years, I decided to try listening to it again. I really seem to love a certain era of the 50's and 60's, Art Blakely, Miles Davis, Lee Morgan oh and Thelonious Monk. Anyhow, many of you hear seem to share my love of prog so I was just curious about this.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:45:11 AM by bill1971 »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Dunno what’s pretentious about it, Jazz is just another style of music.

I probably listen to jazz more than anything else these days. Been really into the bop stuff lately: Charlie Parker, Dizzy, etc
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
[looks at avatar]

Eh, it's ok I guess...

:biggrin:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bill1971

[looks at avatar]

Eh, it's ok I guess...

:biggrin:

I really like Lazy Bird. I just started listening to the top 200 classic jazz list on Youtube and as I like them, I add them to my own playlist and that one made it to me.

Offline bill1971

Dunno what’s pretentious about it, Jazz is just another style of music.

I probably listen to jazz more than anything else these days. Been really into the bop stuff lately: Charlie Parker, Dizzy, etc

I don't find it pretentious but when some people talk about it , it sounds that way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
It's only pretentious when you start to categorize and prioritize it like it's something more "advanced" than other genres. 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
It's only pretentious when you start to categorize and prioritize it like it's something more "advanced" than other genres.

That's 90% of the discussion here in GMD   :rollin

You might want to check out Coltrane's A Love Supreme.  It's a 33 minute piece in three movements.  It's much more expansive than typical hard bop, and might appeal to folks who like prog.  It actually took a couple of years for it to click for me, but when it did, it blew my mind.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bill1971

You might want to check out Coltrane's A Love Supreme.  It's a 33 minute piece in three movements.  It's much more expansive than typical hard bop, and might appeal to folks who like prog.  It actually took a couple of years for it to click for me, but when it did, it blew my mind.

Thank you. I will.

Offline SoundscapeMN

"Pretentious" = derived from the word "Pretend" = Insincere.

I don't follow how it would be insincere to say you listen to or like Jazz.

Offline bill1971

"Pretentious" = derived from the word "Pretend" = Insincere.

I don't follow how it would be insincere to say you listen to or like Jazz.

Never mind.

I regret putting that in my subject line

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Does anyone hear listen to jazz?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »
I studied Jazz guitar, but oddly enough, I have started listening to A LOT OF JAZZ after I finished my studies.
I'm not such a big fan of Coltrane (sawry), rather of the mellow Jazz, where you can feel every single note. I'm talking Bill Evans, Miles, Dave Brubeck, Chet Baker, and especially Paul Desmond, the latter probably being my favorite sax player over all. As a guitarist, I am also a huge admirer of John Scofield and Pat Metheny (surprise).

Sometimes I miss a little Jazz vibe in prog. Not only in harmonies. But there are very few drummers who can rock, groove AND swing.

I went to see Sco in Rotterdam about 1,5 years ago. To say the least, my mind was blown. He's also the coolest dude ever.

any rock can be made to roll

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »
Of course not. It is against the rules of the forum to listen to anything outside of metal or prog.  :-*

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »
I don't hear any jazz here. Is there a forum music player that *should* be playing jazz right now? It'd be like MySpace for cool-cats... :hat

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bill1971

About 23 minutes in. Thank you for the recommendation. Really enjoying it so far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »
I like smooth or acid jazz more than good ol' "jazz" but I like a few tunes. Played piano in my high school jazz band, got to play Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance" and had a really long solo section, my favorite of all 4 years of high school, but it never got played live.  :yeahright
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
I enjoy all kinds of jazz from time to time other than maybe freeform jazz, which can be a bit too much.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
Ironically, I credit the man in my avatar and my namesake, Neil Peart, for introducing me to the world of Jazz. I payed no attention to it at all. Then he fired up his Burning For Buddy project where he had a stellar list of drummers play tracks with Buddy Rich's band. I bought the first one simply as a Neil completest and was blown away by it.

I am very particular about what I listen to regarding Jazz. No lyrical, it has to be instrumental. I love the big band swing stuff that Buddy was doing back in the 50's, as well as some Gene Krupa stuff. Phil Collins big band album is quite good. I have some Dizzy, Thelonious, Brubeck stuff in my collection. I also really love Fusion. My go to there is Frank Gambale. His Coming To Your Senses record is just amazing. Probably a desert island disc for me. Also some Simon Phillips stuff as well.

This is one area where I feel I still need to explore much more and expand my collection. It can be overwhelming and time consuming, which is probably why I haven't really worked on it too much.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:09:52 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
I know it's considered a shade dated now, and I get that it could be dismissed as a little derivative, but I LOVE those mid-70's Jeff Beck albums, and I love the early Brand X records with Phil Collins. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 12:42:44 PM »
I am very particular about what I listen to regarding Jazz. No lyrical, it has to be instrumental. I love the big band swing stuff that Buddy was doing back in the 50's, as well as some Gene Krupa stuff. Phil Collins big band album is quite good. I have some Dizzy, Thelonious, Brubeck stuff in my collection. I also really love Fusion. My go to there is Frank Gambale. His Coming To Your Senses record is just amazing. Probably a desert island disc for me. Also some Simon Phillips stuff as well.

I would suggest you check out the album Kilimanjaro by The Rippingtons, and songs like Jacaranda by Incognito. You might like those.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 12:49:37 PM »
I have some Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane CDs. Good stuff, even if I rarely listen to them.

I am a big fan of the fusion stuff Jeff Beck did in the 70's.

The fusion stuff Herbie Hancock did back in the day is pretty bad ass.  Head Hunters and Thrust are both terrific.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »
My take on jazz is largely derived from my experience listening to my daughter's school bands over the past three years.  She played (flute) in her school's intermediate band as a 6th grader and was in the advanced and jazz bands the last two years.  Of the stuff she has played in jazz band, I would say I've probably liked about half of it, and I'm usually fond of the faster tempo stuff.

Earlier this year, her school's band was selected as one of six middle school jazz band's to play at the Monterey Next Generation Jazz Festival.  I drove up and helped "roadie" for the band and also attended various performances, including a "judge's concert" the night before.  I pretty much hated all of that because it was nothing but the members of the group taking turns on LONG, self-indulgent solos.

One of these days, I want to try more fusion because I've tended to like the little bits that I've heard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »
Totally do. Piano stuff, mainly. Dave Brubeck. Monk. And dine modern things. Hiromi. Neil Cowley. Gogo Penguin.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 02:24:58 PM »
My take on jazz is largely derived from my experience listening to my daughter's school bands over the past three years.  She played (flute) in her school's intermediate band as a 6th grader and was in the advanced and jazz bands the last two years.  Of the stuff she has played in jazz band, I would say I've probably liked about half of it, and I'm usually fond of the faster tempo stuff.

Earlier this year, her school's band was selected as one of six middle school jazz band's to play at the Monterey Next Generation Jazz Festival.  I drove up and helped "roadie" for the band and also attended various performances, including a "judge's concert" the night before.  I pretty much hated all of that because it was nothing but the members of the group taking turns on LONG, self-indulgent solos.

One of these days, I want to try more fusion because I've tended to like the little bits that I've heard.

You do realize you are on Dream Theater forum?

I am with you, I like when members play off each other, which I also think DT does quite well, I was making a joke.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »
I remember a song we did in high school - Take The A Train, an old standard - and for some reason the band teacher let everybody and anybody take a solo. We had 10 solos on that piece, and only one person had any actual jazz experience as far as soloing and knowing what to actually do (and it wasn't me). That poor audience  :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »
I've got a few Lee Ritenour albums and there's a guy who goes by the name of Insaneintherain who does jazzy versions of video game music on YouTube that I listen to. That's about it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 07:28:36 PM »
My love for Jazz started with Cowboy Bebop and I love it to this day.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 11:05:31 PM »
Although I barely listen to jazz (I have a couple of random CD, some Miles Davis and a Charlie Parker box set), I play a lot of jazz on the guitar. There's great fun in jamming through standards, either by yourself or with a couple of friends.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 01:32:55 AM »
I know it's considered a shade dated now, and I get that it could be dismissed as a little derivative, but I LOVE those mid-70's Jeff Beck albums, and I love the early Brand X records with Phil Collins.

Don't know the Jeff Beck albums. But OMFG Brand X is awesome! Phil Collins could show here what he was really capable of. Whenever I put this record on and say "this is Phil Collins playing the drums here", everyone goes all  :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »

Don't know the Jeff Beck albums. But OMFG Brand X is awesome! Phil Collins could show here what he was really capable of. Whenever I put this record on and say "this is Phil Collins playing the drums here", everyone goes all  :omg:

Yeah, when he was on his game, he was a force to be reckoned with.  The best thing about Brand X is Phil knew how to play in that genre.  He wasn't - or at least he didn't sound like - a rock drummer faking his way through.

If you do try out the Beck albums, I suggest you start with Blow By Blow.  It's kind of a catch-22, in that it's his best of the period, but if you don't like that, you might not like the two that came after (Wired and There And Back).   

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
I'm not that into jazz anymore, sadly. I just can't listen to some stuff I used to like, especially fusion like Weather Report and Return to Forever, it's just like I got headache from listening to it :lol I guess I'm into more poppy stuff nowadays. But there is still some stuff I like, Coltrane's A Love Supreme is my favorite. I like Blue Train as well. Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain is, probably surprisingly, my favorite album of his. Please, recommend me something similar, if there's even stuff like it. In a Silent Way is also great but very moody so I can't listen to it whenever.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »
I'm not that into jazz anymore, sadly. I just can't listen to some stuff I used to like, especially fusion like Weather Report and Return to Forever, it's just like I got headache from listening to it :lol I guess I'm into more poppy stuff nowadays. But there is still some stuff I like, Coltrane's A Love Supreme is my favorite. I like Blue Train as well. Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain is, probably surprisingly, my favorite album of his. Please, recommend me something similar, if there's even stuff like it. In a Silent Way is also great but very moody so I can't listen to it whenever.

Hmm... Maybe try:

Dave Brubeck (esp. Time Out)
Eberhard Weber - The Colours of Chloe
Bill Evans - Symbiosis
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
McCoy Tyner - Fly With the Wind
Snarky Puppy & Metropole Orkest - Sylva
Any of Duke Ellington's concert works (The Ellington Suites might be a good place to start?)
Cannonball Adderly
Art Blakely & The Jazz Messengers
Horace Silver
Sonny Rollins
Paradise Lunch (who did the wonderful soundtrack to the anime Baccano!)
Not jazz per-se, but I'd also check out some of the more Impressionist classical composers and Aaron Copland. On that note, old 1930s-1960s film scores, especially the lusher, jazzy orchestral ones. Morricone might have some gems too, and John Williams's score for Catch Me If You Can might also be a good fit for you.

Some of these might be up your alley, or they might totally miss the mark idk. Still worth checking out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
Check out Bill Watrous's version of Tiger of San Pedro if you don't know it. That's another stellar jazz number.

And 'Some Skunk Funk' by The Becker Brothers.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
Serious reply, though - does Bela Fleck & The Flecktones count? I mean, they're considered jazz & bluegrass, among many other styles and genres.

I'd say them, and the occasional Dave Brubeck Quartet, but that's about it for me. Otherwise, I don't hear or listen to much jazz.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »
I love jazz (and big band), though probably jazz fusion is more in my wheelhouse.  I mean, A Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme are enjoyable, but those mid-to late '60s records are off the charts.  I guess it's a different kind of enjoyment.

Not really to into the smooth or modern jazz thing though. Which is not to say I don't like anything more recent. But it has to appeal....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »
Ironically, I credit the man in my avatar and my namesake, Neil Peart, for introducing me to the world of Jazz. I payed no attention to it at all. Then he fired up his Burning For Buddy project where he had a stellar list of drummers play tracks with Buddy Rich's band. I bought the first one simply as a Neil completest and was blown away by it.

This is one area where I feel I still need to explore much more and expand my collection. It can be overwhelming and time consuming, which is probably why I haven't really worked on it too much.

A bit surprised you didn't mention any Buddy Rich records.  I really dig the ones before the '60s, but  for me he didn't really start to peak until the mid'60s '70s and '80s.  Pick up the Roar of '74. Tony Levin plays on that one.