16 (32%)
Houses of the Holy
13 (26%)
Physical Graffiti
11 (22%)
Presence
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Favorite Led Zeppelin album?  (Read 1536 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Favorite Led Zeppelin album?
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
If I stepped back and looked at their catalog more analytically I might pick a different album as their "best", but none of them had the same impact on me as II.

Still remember the first time I heard it. I might have to agree with you there.

That said, I heard Whole Lotta Love on the radio the other day. If I never heard it again, I'd be just fine.

Yeah... but dat riff.  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
If I stepped back and looked at their catalog more analytically I might pick a different album as their "best", but none of them had the same impact on me as II.

Still remember the first time I heard it. I might have to agree with you there.

That said, I heard Whole Lotta Love on the radio the other day. If I never heard it again, I'd be just fine.

Yeah... but dat riff.  :2metal:

Shake for me girl
I wanna be your backdoor man
 :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2018, 01:51:55 PM »
I think that's where maybe I benefit in not having been alive when they were an active band, none of their stuff is as overplayed for me as it is for some people I knew who were around back at the height of Zeppelin's popularity.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 06:22:44 PM »
For not even making this poll, I must say that ITTOD has aged extremely well. It’s such a change of pace and there’s  some fantastic stuff on that album. One  of the reasons why a tenth Zep studio album with Bonham is number one on my list of albums I wish had been made (to reference the other thread).
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 06:44:51 PM »
For not even making this poll, I must say that ITTOD has aged extremely well. It’s such a change of pace and there’s  some fantastic stuff on that album. One  of the reasons why a tenth Zep studio album with Bonham is number one on my list of albums I wish had been made (to reference the other thread).

Well, it should've made the poll, as pointed out by this astute poster:

You forgot In Through The Out Door.

;D

I agree, Gord. I like it a lot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 09:10:24 AM »
I know it's all taste and subjective opinion and all that, but there certainly are (and have been) some great, great musicians in the world, but some - and I think very few - are really at another level, and I think Jimmy Page is at that level.  Yeah, we can list all the criticisms of him - starting with sloppy - but is there a catalogue out there that has that volume, but that few clunkers?  I don't even mean "songs I like", I mean, you can arguably turn on the radio and hear ANY Led Zeppelin song save a very very few (Hats Off...).   You hear b-sides on the radio on the regular (Hey Hey What Can I Do?).  You hear non-single album cuts.   You hear 8:00 epics.   

Now, I know someone is going to point out some Swedish black metal dude that turns his own guitar strings, bakes his own tape for recording and hand-wired both his studio and all his amps, but Page did all this AND was a legendary live performer (the Zeppelin shows of the early to mid-70's are considered by some to be some of the greatest live shows by any band ever) AND was a master at studio production, AND a world class businessman, AND achieved both critical and popular success.  Zeppelin is one of a handful of rock acts with multiple diamond - 10 million sold - records.  They have five (third only to Garth Brooks, 7, and the Beatles 6).  More amazingly, NONE of those are compilations.  That's the five of the first six studio albums (only III is holding up the group).  If you take out compilations, Garth only has 4 and the Beatles only 3.  That's AMAZING to me.    I still think the Beatles are the greatest rock band ever, but  if there is a worthy contender, it's the mighty Zeppelin.   

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »
Tough, tough question.  It's changed over the years.  On sheer merit though I have to go with IV.  PG is right behind it, followed by 1.