Author Topic: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread  (Read 8766 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2018, 04:58:14 AM »
Out of the three examples, I think Halford not being in Priest is the most fitting one. They got a phenomenal replacement, someone who could sing his ass off on each and every song of the back catalogue, with the same vocal style, and still he wasn't accepted in full. Why? because after all those decades, only Rob Halford was right and fitting for Priest. So is James for DT. Then of course I won't deny that some people might be happy to hear someone else handle DT's vocals.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2018, 06:57:01 AM »
The same thing was said about Mike Portnoy, just sayin...

Not that I want them to replace James, he’s amazing, but I don’t buy the “it wouldn’t sound like DT anymore” thing. Bands change members all the time, some more than others, but it happens anyway, and I believe the only irreplaceable DT member is JP. If James ever left and they get a great replacement, it would sound different, yes, but it would still be and sound like DT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2018, 07:02:45 AM »
People being able to identify a band from the guitarist or the drummer are a big minority. For most people the voice is the one and only defining trait of a band.

Everyone on this forum can probably recognize JP's style, and I agree that he's absolutely the most important member when it comes to the songwriting, but let's remember that even DT fans fell for the trick when back in 2005 Mike Portnoy passed off James' solo songs as leaks off Octavarium, just because James was singing.

I bet there are more people who would actually buy into James' solo songs being DT songs, than an actual DT song without James, in an hypothetical scenario where James is gone, as DT.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:26:36 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2018, 07:50:04 AM »
I think JLB does a really great job of representing the band. My close friends and family have heard a lot of DT over the years, since they're around me. They are not any kind of super-fan... but they like rock music. To all of them, it's James LaBrie's band. They aren't necessarily listening to the bass, or the drums, or any one instrument when they listen to music, and they aren't going to memorize the names of all the people in any band. But they recognize DT by JLB, and they recognize a DT song once he starts singing. They aren't ever going to listen to Shmedley Wilcox or Intstramedley... but they'll gladly listen to the new DT songs when they come out, and judge it largely by JLBs look, sound, and performance. I think he is up to the task.

Excellent point.

James is DT's voice, he's been on every album but one. If he departs for Mars to bring some vocal awesomeness there and DT need a new singer, no one else would sound "right". You could get the best prog metal singer around, an unknown phenomeon, Freddie Mercury reincarnated.... it just wouldn't sound like DT anymore.

Replacing a singer late in your career is a near impossible thing to do. Kamelot and Nightwish have managed to more-or-less pull it off. Their music still has the basic DNA it always had. I honestly don't know how they've gotten away with it. Maybe the prog metal (symphonic metal) genre has fans that are more instrument centric. I'm trying to imagine a band like The Killers without Brandon Flowers. I think it would be instantly over for them.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
When David Lee Roth left Van Halen and put out his first solo record, I remember people asking "is this Van Halen?" solely on the fact that they heard Roth's voice.

I remember when James LaBrie's solo record Impermanent Resonance came out in 2013, some people were thinking it was the new DT record (DT's self titled album was released later that same year).

In the case of both vocalists, people who pay attention to the music know that it wasn't Van Halen or Dream Theater. However, a voice attaches an individual to a band.

LaBrie is DT's voice. Unless he leaves DT on his own initiative, I don't think DT will pursue another vocalist.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
I love JLB and agree with most here that he is the voice of DT, but I think like some other examples, when the core of the band stays put (aka the people who write the music, JP specifically and JR as well) then the band can still be good if the singer changes.  Granted, it's much harder for the general fan base who identifies with the singer, but the music can still be really good after replacing a long time singer if JP kept doing what he's been doing.  It would certainly be interesting to see DT make music with a different singer, but it's not something I really want.  I love JLB and his voice, his live show suffers a bit but for the most part, I've always really thought he did well live for the shows I've seen.  I wouldn't want DT to separate with JLB unless JLB himself wanted to step down on his own.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
The same thing was said about Mike Portnoy, just sayin...
That's true. That particular experience taught me to never say never. I wouldn't be able to swear I'll never listened to some band again if a certain member left. However, James leaving the group or being replaced would hit me harder than JM, JR or MM. As flawed as his voice is nowadays during the live performances.