Author Topic: Not just another MP v MM topic  (Read 624 times)

Offline Shooters1221

Not just another MP v MM topic
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before but...

I have not put much in depth thought into this observation, but it just kinda came to me listening to the entire DT library heavily in the last weeks. As being in my 50's now, and a fan of many prog. and metal and, I guess, all genre bands from my years past, I have noticed that when listening to the MP albums, it seems that he really incorporated his drumming influences from past drummers i.e. Peart/Bruford...etc into his DT "oeuvre" so to speak, you just know when you hear it. I don't seem to find any of that in MM's (limited)work with DT. Now, I'm not really sure MM as ever showed any kind of influence in any of his past projects as I have not followed him as much as MP, so maybe I'm way off base, but I don't hear anything that sticks out as prior influential drumming since he has been with DT, I know that he has many influences, but he just is....well...MM which is awesome BTW. I understand that DT had a different writing process with MP and MM doesn't have as much of a choice when composing drum parts and the library spans back quite a ways and MP was part of a different time span and more vast part of that....as I said, it was just a spontaneous observation. Any thoughts?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Re: Not just another MP v MM topic
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »
MP always wore his influences proudly on his sleeve.  I don't think your observation is wrong.

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »
Well... I hear a lot of Neil Peart and Buddy Rich (and other more traditional drummers) in MM's style.

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:48:50 AM »
Well... I hear a lot of Neil Peart and Buddy Rich (and other more traditional drummers) in MM's style.

I was just gonna mention Neil. MMs tom-tom fills are clearly influenced by him, imo.
me desperté en un mundo con dos tipos de gente: la mas y la menos extrema

Offline pcs90

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »
Agreed, definitely Neil.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Football for a head
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
I’d say the Peart influence is a lot more evident in Portnoy’s playing than in Mangini’s...
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 08:55:57 AM »
It's hard to hear the drummer influences in Mangini's studio work because a big influence in how he compose his parts is not a drummer. It's Steve Vai. That is where he got his style of playing along the other melodic instruments, moving up and down scales, etc.

But if I would forward a drummer that I hear closest to Mangini, it's Terry Bozzio. This song Mangini once said influenced how he composes his drum parts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-bonV_on4c

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
I’d say the Peart influence is a lot more evident in Portnoy’s playing than in Mangini’s...

Why? Both Mangini and Peart are more focused and playing-oriented, while MP is much more like Keith Moon or Lars Ulrich himself, wildlike players, showmen. Note that I'm not comparing MP's technical quality to Lars', but his overall style behind the drum kit.

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 03:56:08 AM »
It's hard to hear the drummer influences in Mangini's studio work because a big influence in how he compose his parts is not a drummer. It's Steve Vai. That is where he got his style of playing along the other melodic instruments, moving up and down scales, etc.

But if I would forward a drummer that I hear closest to Mangini, it's Terry Bozzio. This song Mangini once said influenced how he composes his drum parts:

The cymbal use in this song is simply amazing. I totally get how MM was influenced by Terry. I haven't listened to UK in a while, thanks for the great idea :)
me desperté en un mundo con dos tipos de gente: la mas y la menos extrema

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »

Yeah I agree, Terry is the first one that came to mind.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
Both have their own distinctive styles and when you hear each one you can clearly tell it is MP or MM. Having said that, it's funny that both mention some of the same drummers as inspirations. Neil Peart and John Bonham, for example, are always cited by both Mikes as inspirations, but then Portnoy goes to more straight rock drummers like Keith Moon and Ringo, while Mangini goes into jazz/fusion territory citing Buddy Rich and Bill Cobham.

Btw, here's a Mangini interview (that erwinrafael cited) where he talks about his 10 most influential drum albums (and drummers, of course): https://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/dream-theaters-mike-mangini-my-10-most-influential-drum-albums-553178
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 09:52:53 PM »

Why? Both Mangini and Peart are more focused and playing-oriented, while MP is much more like Keith Moon or Lars Ulrich himself, wildlike players, showmen. Note that I'm not comparing MP's technical quality to Lars', but his overall style behind the drum kit.

But that's a philosophy of drumming, not a style. I don't hear a ton of NP in MM's playing. I also never listen to a drummer and compare their drumming philosophies to other drummers.

I hear a lot of NP in MP. I can see the TB in MM though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com