Author Topic: McDonald's Sued over Unwanted Cheese  (Read 2805 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: McDonald's Sued over Unwanted Cheese
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »

As for McDonald's, I make no bones about having cravings now and again for a Quarter Pounder with CheeseTM or a Big MacTM,

Just out of curiosty, but why the Trademark?

Why not go ahead and use the ®?

:lol

The ® symbol is only properly used in connection with a registered trademark, whereas the symbol is used where someone claims trademark rights in an unregistered mark.

"Quarter Pounder" is a registered mark, but "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not.  "Big Mac," on the other hand, is registered (although McDonalds is not the only registrant since the term is used in other contexts), so "®" should be used.

Plus I could type tm by clicking "sup" and T and M and "sup".  I wouldn't have the first clue how to type in the R with the circle around it.  :)    I knew I was making a mistake with the Big Mac (though I didn't realize that the "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not registered) but took the easy way out in favor of "comedy".

Oh, so you're a lazy lawyer.

DISBARRED!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »

As for McDonald's, I make no bones about having cravings now and again for a Quarter Pounder with CheeseTM or a Big MacTM,

The ® symbol is only properly used in connection with a registered trademark, whereas the symbol is used where someone claims trademark rights in an unregistered mark.

"Quarter Pounder" is a registered mark, but "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not.  "Big Mac," on the other hand, is registered (although McDonalds is not the only registrant since the term is used in other contexts), so "®" should be used.

Plus I could type tm by clicking "sup" and T and M and "sup".  I wouldn't have the first clue how to type in the R with the circle around it.  :)    I knew I was making a mistake with the Big Mac (though I didn't realize that the "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not registered) but took the easy way out in favor of "comedy".

alt+0174 ®
alt+0169 ©
alt+0153 ™

That only works if you use the keypad.  You can't do it with the numbers at the top of the QWERTY keyboard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »

I actually thought it odd that you used it at all.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."