Author Topic: McDonald's Sued over Unwanted Cheese  (Read 2801 times)

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: McDonald's Sued over Unwanted Cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:45:17 AM »
So McD's has monetized the value of the cheese, as evidenced by paying a lower price for the w/out version online or delivered, but at the store you're forced to pay for the cheese whether you want it or not? Not the sort of thing I'd sue over, but it does seem like McD's is in the wrong here. And I gather what they're actually going for is a class action case. There's no point in suing over a couple of bucks worth of damages.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
So McD's has monetized the value of the cheese, as evidenced by paying a lower price for the w/out version online or delivered, but at the store you're forced to pay for the cheese whether you want it or not? Not the sort of thing I'd sue over, but it does seem like McD's is in the wrong here. And I gather what they're actually going for is a class action case. There's no point in suing over a couple of bucks worth of damages.

Yup...they're seeking class action certification (and more than half of the complaint is devoted to the elements of class action certification under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure).

Not that I go to McDonald's more than once or twice a year, but I typically order a QP without cheese.  I've never paid attention or really cared whether I pay less than if I had ordered it with cheese (I assume I don't), although I find it annoying that I can't just order "a quarter pounder" and get a burger without cheese, and if I want one with cheese, I would order "a quarter pounder with cheese."  FWIW, Wendy's also does this.

It's annoying, but I wouldn't say McD's is "in the wrong."  It offers Menu Item X, which comes with various ingredients.  If you want it without one of those ingredients, there's no legal reason why you should get a discount.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
It's annoying, but I wouldn't say McD's is "in the wrong."  It offers Menu Item X, which comes with various ingredients.  If you want it without one of those ingredients, there's no legal reason why you should get a discount.
That's an interesting point. I'd always considered a quarter pounder to be a description rather than a product. However, they established the problem by deducting the cost on different platforms, thus monetizing the cheese.

I eat at McD's about once a decade, so I have no experience with this. I eat at Caine's about once a year, and they only offer 5 or so menu items. All are package deals that come with a drink. When I tell them no drink they discount ~60˘ or so. I suppose it could be argued that they're just being decent, but it's a very simple thing to do. In McD's case they simply found a way to milk an extra 40˘ or so from a quarter of their customers. Sort of like short-changing them a quarter at the drivethrough. 

And I wonder if they coudln't go the ADA route with a few people who are lactose intolerant?

Also, my new resolution is to learn to play an instrument, hire some musicians, and record an album just so I can title it Monetizing the Cheese.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
Besides, anyone that doesn't want cheese should be the ones being sued for bad taste.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
Besides, anyone that doesn't want cheese should be the ones being sued for bad taste.

:lol

If it's advertised with cheese and you ask for it without it, I see no reason to get a discount.  Just like asking for the same meal without lettuce.  I don't expect a penny discount.   Sounds to me like the person suing is just mad they don't offer a cheeseless version.  Burger King does offer all their burgers without cheese and then the cheese is extra.  McDonald's chose a different way to offer their meals.  I don't see an issue with it.  Just don't buy it if that's the case.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
I don't know what's worse: Someone suing McDonald's over cheese or the USA Today article. So many bad puns... :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »
Did Derek Sherinian file this lawsuit?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »
It's American cheese. It doesn't do anything but add a layer of goo.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »

But the goo is soo good

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »
I don't have an opinion on the lawsuit, but a nice order of McDonald's chicken nuggets is one of my favorite drunk foods.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »

While I agree American cheese is the lowest form of cheese, it still improves that hamburger.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
Did Derek Sherinian file this lawsuit?

:lol :rollin

While I agree American cheese is the lowest form of cheese, it still improves that hamburger.

American cheese is cheddar cheese's bitch.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »
I love me some Hoffman's sharp Cheddar. But now i have to watch out for salt so I have very little.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
I love me some Hoffman's sharp Cheddar. But now i have to watch out for salt so I have very little.
Egh. Hoffman's is pretty much Velveeta. The super-sharp has a tiny bit more flavor than Velveeta, so it was a better choice for things that need added creaminess, casseroles and whatnot, but it's the furthest thing from cheddar.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 03:09:52 PM »

True.  I've found american cheese to go well with eggs and grilled cheeses, otherwise it's too bland, but still is better than no cheese.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »
I only eat it - Land o'Lakes White American - on hamburgers, tuna fish sandwiches and roast beef sandwiches.   Everything else, I prefer something with more bite.   Big fan of prima donna, a Dutch cheese, or Piave.  Provalone on Italian grinders.   Blue cheese is excellent.  I don't mind goat cheese on certain things, especially the goat cheese I have with the wine-rind coating.   

Do not like Swiss, and especially do NOT like the "Kraft Cheese Product individual slices".    :tdwn

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »
and especially do NOT like the "Kraft Cheese Product individual slices".    :tdwn

And you call yourself an American.

GO BACK TO RUSSIA YOU COMMUNIST!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 03:47:21 PM »
Swiss definitely has its place in the universe.  I wouldn't want to live in a world without grilled ham and swiss. Depending on which direction I go it might well wind up on a burger, as well.

For cheddar I was particularly fond of Collier's Welsh Cheddar, but TJ's stopped selling it. Damn tasty cheese and made a fantastic potato soup.

There's really not much cheese I don't like. I have no use for American, and I really dislike brie. Other than that I'm good to go. Cow, sheep, goat, beaver, buffalo, all fine by me.
E.F. Benson

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 03:50:04 PM »
Swiss definitely has its place in the universe.  I wouldn't want to live in a world without grilled ham and swiss. Depending on which direction I go it might well wind up on a burger, as well.

For cheddar I was particularly fond of Collier's Welsh Cheddar, but TJ's stopped selling it. Damn tasty cheese and made a fantastic potato soup.

There's really not much cheese I don't like. I have no use for American, and I really dislike brie. Other than that I'm good to go. Cow, sheep, goat, beaver, buffalo, all fine by me.

Venezuelan, of course.

Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar is where it's at for me.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 03:51:56 PM »
Do not like Swiss, and especially do NOT like the "Kraft Cheese Product individual slices".    :tdwn

True.  I've found american cheese to go well with eggs and grilled cheeses, otherwise it's too bland, but still is better than no cheese.

This is exactly the scenario where the Kraft cheese slices are actually good.  When you melt it onto eggs or bread.  I won't say there are better options, there are, but there aren't many cheese that last long and are cheap and still work well than the Kraft slices than using them on eggs or grilled cheeses. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
I've had a lot of cheese. I don't think there's a cheese I've encountered that I dislike. I particularly like feta, on pizza. And ricotta in pasta shells. Mmm...

As for McDonald's, it's gross, but delicious, and I have no problem eating it when I'm super hungry or hungover.

The Kraft American slices of weird oddly orange cheese product go well on like a ham sandwich or a grilled cheese but not much else. Okay, a homemade burger, you can put any cheese on that...

Not sure where this thread, or post, is going.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 03:58:43 PM »
Cow, sheep, goat, beaver, buffalo, all fine by me.

I usually prefer my beaver without cheese....

Offline Harmony

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 03:59:27 PM »
Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar is where it's at for me.

Ah....so good it often brings a tear to my eye.   :hefdaddy

The cheese that is often used in fast food makes me want to hurl.  But then again, most fast food makes me want to hurl.  One of my kids is obsessed with McD's french fries.  I don't get it.  I just don't.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 04:03:38 PM »

Technically, that's duck butter.

I'm probably going to regret this post.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »

Venezuelan, of course.

Icee what you did there.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 07:54:48 PM »

Good call on the ham and Swiss; I'll give you that one though I'll swap out the ham for corned beef or pastrami.  So I guess I do like Swiss.  :)

As for McDonald's, I make no bones about having cravings now and again for a Quarter Pounder with CheeseTM or a Big MacTM, but my GOD do I feel like shit after.   Not always, but on an odd occasion it will even make me feel flu-like.  As such I don't eat it much. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »

Good call on the ham and Swiss; I'll give you that one though I'll swap out the ham for corned beef or pastrami.  So I guess I do like Swiss.  :)

I was gonna say, without swiss would mean a world without a Rueben sandwich or a solid patty melt, and that's a world I'm not sure I want to live in.

Anyone interested in really killer cheeses should check out anything from Fiscalini. They do a bandage wrapped cheddar which is easily the best cheese I've ever had.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
I was gonna say, without swiss would mean a world without a Rueben Cuban sandwich or a solid patty melt, and that's a world I'm not sure I want to live in.
Corrected for accuracy.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 02:59:39 AM »
and especially do NOT like the "Kraft Cheese Product individual slices".    :tdwn

And you call yourself an American.

GO BACK TO RUSSIA YOU COMMUNIST!

Donald? Is that you?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »

Your beaver?  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »

As for McDonald's, I make no bones about having cravings now and again for a Quarter Pounder with CheeseTM or a Big MacTM,

Just out of curiosty, but why the Trademark?

Why not go ahead and use the ®?

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »

As for McDonald's, I make no bones about having cravings now and again for a Quarter Pounder with CheeseTM or a Big MacTM,

The ® symbol is only properly used in connection with a registered trademark, whereas the symbol is used where someone claims trademark rights in an unregistered mark.

"Quarter Pounder" is a registered mark, but "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not.  "Big Mac," on the other hand, is registered (although McDonalds is not the only registrant since the term is used in other contexts), so "®" should be used.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »

The ® symbol is only properly used in connection with a registered trademark, whereas the symbol is used where someone claims trademark rights in an unregistered mark.

"Quarter Pounder" is a registered mark, but "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not.  "Big Mac," on the other hand, is registered (although McDonalds is not the only registrant since the term is used in other contexts), so "®" should be used.

Plus I could type tm by clicking "sup" and T and M and "sup".  I wouldn't have the first clue how to type in the R with the circle around it.  :)    I knew I was making a mistake with the Big Mac (though I didn't realize that the "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not registered) but took the easy way out in favor of "comedy".   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »

Plus I could type tm by clicking "sup" and T and M and "sup".  I wouldn't have the first clue how to type in the R with the circle around it.  :)    I knew I was making a mistake with the Big Mac (though I didn't realize that the "Quarter Pounder with Cheese" is not registered) but took the easy way out in favor of "comedy".

alt+0174 ®
alt+0169 ©
alt+0153 ™
E.F. Benson