Author Topic: Michael Romeo solo track off upcoming solo album!!  (Read 17238 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Michael Romeo solo track off upcoming solo album!!
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2018, 06:38:36 AM »
I am really digging it so far!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2018, 05:50:02 PM »
This album kicks ass. Just saying.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2018, 05:56:04 PM »
Gave it a first listen through today.

I dig it. Yes, about 95% of it could easily be a Symphony X album, but it's still well done. Good riffs, good vocals etc.

I appreciate him going all Skrillex on that Robots song, and I hope if he continues to write solo albums (which it looks like Part 2 is coming out) then I hope he incorporates more of that.

Similar to how I felt about Luca Turilli. His first solo album was essentially a Rhapsody album, but then his 2nd moved into a good unique direction. Hoping for the same here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »
Yeah, but I feel like this is tuned just a tad higher than the last couple Sym X albums, which I muchly prefer. Plus this doesn't have Russell Allen ruining it. If this guy sang for Sym X, I'd like them a lot more.

There's definitely no need for the NOMAC track though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
Yeah, but I feel like this is tuned just a tad higher than the last couple Sym X albums, which I muchly prefer. Plus this doesn't have Russell Allen ruining it. If this guy sang for Sym X, I'd like them a lot more.

There's definitely no need for the NOMAC track though.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »
I thought that the singer is trying damned hard to sound like Allen at times though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2018, 08:08:45 PM »
Yeah, this sounds really SX for me, also F*cking Robots when you ignore those grumpy electric sounds. But I like it anyway, don't mind to compare these because Michael is the main composer anyways for SX and for this record.

I was wondering if this albums tells that SymX ever doing more albums or is Romeo moving with these solo albums now...

More than half of part 2 is already recorded, and he's evaluating whether or not there will be a tour to promote part 1. And Symphony X is going to get back on track eventually, they're waiting for Russell to recover from the tragedy that struck AMob.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2018, 08:13:12 PM »
they're waiting for Russell to recover from the tragedy that struck AMob.

???

Is he having emotional issues because of it? Not busting. It'd be totally understandable.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »
they're waiting for Russell to recover from the tragedy that struck AMob.

???

Is he having emotional issues because of it? Not busting. It'd be totally understandable.

I think so, man...that was a traumatic experience for sure. He helped the rescue team and lost two friends. I think the only thing he's done since was a small tour with Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2018, 05:17:17 AM »
I'm not the only one hearing Star Wars references, right?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2018, 05:47:18 AM »

No, and it being a major influence for Michael wouldn't be surprising as Symphony X even recorded a Star Wars Suite back in the day.

Online Adami

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2018, 08:51:19 AM »

Oh yea. Forgot that. Yes. Almost felt like it was note for note at times.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
John Williams is one of Romeo's idols, so it makes sense.

Online Adami

« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »
John Williams is one of Romeo's idols, so it makes sense.

Totally, but it got a little distracting.I was like "Oh cool melo....wait...is that Luke's theme or whatever?"

Doing famous classical pieces, like Symph X has done a billion times, is one thing because everyone does it. But Star Wars feels a bit different.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
I like what I am hearing on this album.  My review is coming shortly.

I like what I'm hearing too.  I've had it since early Friday morning and spun it about 3 or 4 times now.  I'm curious, how many times did you listen to the album before you wrote the review?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2018, 04:09:54 AM »
Finally got around to this after coming down from Redemption's latest.

My thoughts on this album can best be described by the following:

Duplicate Thread
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=271.0

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
Finally listening to this album, and it is :metal

Sounds a lot like modern SX, and that's a good thing for me, since I prefer the last few albums (Iconoclast and Paradise Lost specially) over the earlier, more neoclassical albums. I really like the NOMAC robots thing he did too :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
I also liked the album a lot. To me, also very much in the vein of the albums you mentioned (also my favorite SX phase), just with a bit of a different twist, like in F.. Robots, maybe a bit more poppy in places, or the really massive presence of the orchestration in all the album (which really works amazingly), but there isn't really nothing that it couldn't be in an album from SX IMO. Maybe the biggest surprise to me was the vocalist. I was expecting a Russel's clone, but he is really excellent and with a very versatile style.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:53:10 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
I am really enjoying this disc. I like SX, but I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan (I have several albums, but not all). But I am really diggin' Michael Romeo's record. The singer delivers a dynamic performance that really gels with what Michael is playing. Great stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2018, 08:20:33 AM »
Fn Robots is my fn jam! Awesome, awesome track. Who album is great. Fantastic transitions.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
Still loving it to bits, first week impressions are better than most SX albums, actually. And while it definitely could've been a SX album (undeniably Romeo music), I think a decent amount of the songs offer some distinct elements that make it feel fresh enough. The different sense of melody of the singer also adds to the freshness. And the album overall is more "cinematic" than modern SX albums. That combined with modern SX's satisfying guitar sounds, is a bliss to my ears. (In terms of classical elements I feel this is more akin to film soundtracks than older classical arrangements, which was the case for many of the older SX songs).

I wonder what the second part has in store for us. Wouldn't mind more of this, but also would like to see some more distinct songs like F'ing robots, which I really like. (I disagree with the notion that that song is just a SX song with dubstep slapped on it. First of all, it is such a major part of the DNA of that song, so it would be totally different without out it. Not really a point in "but without dubstep it is exactly SX", as that is like half of the song. Furthermore, it's structure and vocal melodies don't give me a "typical SX" vibe at all. Sure, there are the guitar sounds and obvious Romeo elements, but as a whole it sounds clearly different than anything SX has done.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:53:17 AM by ErHaO »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
I am really enjoying this disc. I like SX, but I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan (I have several albums, but not all). But I am really diggin' Michael Romeo's record. The singer delivers a dynamic performance that really gels with what Michael is playing. Great stuff.

This is me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »

This is me.

I have only listened once but for now this is not me.   I enjoyed the album enough but found little that demanded a repeat listen.  Will give it another shot but on first go it's not even close to Underworld for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2018, 10:09:15 PM »

This is me.

I have only listened once but for now this is not me.   I enjoyed the album enough but found little that demanded a repeat listen.  Will give it another shot but on first go it's not even close to Underworld for me.

Yeah. This is the most generic Romeo (including Symphony X) album so far.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2018, 06:22:56 AM »
  I enjoyed the album enough but found little that demanded a repeat listen.  Will give it another shot but on first go it's not even close to Underworld for me.

Not sure what the staying power will be either. It's definitely enjoyable. It does get a little loopy 2/3rds of the way through with the symphonic elements.

I literally haven't listened to Underworld since it came out. I find Romeo is tuned just past my low threshold and well, I just don't connect in anyway with Russ Allen.

I really like the singer on this, and Romeo's guitar tone is much easier on my ears.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
Dang, I ordered it the day it was released. I called to see if it was in yet and it is still back-ordered, sigh! 😳 
You guy's are really making me want to hear this album.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
The entire thing is up on mascotlabelgroup's Youtube channel.  You can hear all of the songs there until you get your copy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »
Really liked it on my 2nd listen.

I didn't retain much, but I liked it a lot in the moment.

The vocalist works really well over Romeo. So even though Romeo's style is basically identical to Symph X here (that War Machines track....I think....could have been directly from The Odyssey), the new vocals help give it some life.

Hoping Part 2 is more diverse.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2018, 05:03:32 AM »
Picked a copy up on the weekend, pretty damn good, but come on, besides Michael showing off his John Williams crush a little more than normal, this is a Symphony X album.  Michael really lacks diversity in what he can do lately.  So many points you can reference back to any Symphony X from Paradise Lost onwards.  He's lucky this recycled style is so good though or else I wouldn't be interested.

Djinn is awesome, that second solo (the Charon like one) crushes, so good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2018, 05:18:53 AM »
Picked a copy up on the weekend, pretty damn good, but come on, besides Michael showing off his John Williams crush a little more than normal, this is a Symphony X album.  Michael really lacks diversity in what he can do lately.  So many points you can reference back to any Symphony X from Paradise Lost onwards.  He's lucky this recycled style is so good though or else I wouldn't be interested.

Yeah... Romeo is SX.. this is basically a SX album. And it's in their top 3 imo (with Divine Wings and V)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »

Yeah... Romeo is SX.. this is basically a SX album. And it's in their top 3 imo (with Divine Wings and V)

I know that, and it is good.  I guess I find it difficult calling something a solo album when there is very little difference.  Perhaps more listens might change my views.  It's still excellent, not denying that at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »
Just pure speculation but I kind of wonder if alot of his ideas might have been musical ideas for SX but ended up on his solo album instead. A mobs tragic accident might have scraped potential studio time for SX and it seem like Russell isn't ready yet so maybe he took those ideas and put it on his solo album. I mean he is the main songwriter in SX so it dosen't really matter eitherway if he uses his own ideas.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
Just pure speculation but I kind of wonder if alot of his ideas might have been musical ideas for SX but ended up on his solo album instead. A mobs tragic accident might have scraped potential studio time for SX and it seem like Russell isn't ready yet so maybe he took those ideas and put it on his solo album. I mean he is the main songwriter in SX so it dosen't really matter eitherway if he uses his own ideas.

This is 100% what I believe.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »

This is 100% what I believe.

Wouldn't doubt that ..

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
Fuck what does the chorus of Djinn sound like? I swear I’ve heard it before, it’s driving me nuts. I can’t truly enjoy the song because the chorus sounds so damn familiar. A lot of parts on that album sound really familiar to me, but none does as much as that part.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:52:05 PM by NoseofNicko »