Author Topic: Michael Romeo solo track off upcoming solo album!!  (Read 17147 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Michael Romeo solo track off upcoming solo album!!
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »
Fear the Unknown solo play through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhdVufI7w4&feature=youtu.be&a

That was one of the most impressive things I've seen a guitar player do. He doesn't even frown his eyebrows!!!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »

That was one of the most impressive things I've seen a guitar player do. He doesn't even frown his eyebrows!!!

Technically, the dude is just scary talented. I just wish he was more diverse and didn't have basically 1 style. Luckily he nails that style amazingly well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »

Technically, the dude is just scary talented. I just wish he was more diverse and didn't have basically 1 style. Luckily he nails that style amazingly well.

I have always thought this. Love listening to him play and his chops are out of this world but his playing can be quite one dimensional at times.  Although love everything he does guitar wise.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 12:39:06 AM »
Stumbled upon this guy on YT, he's doing some more in-depth analysis of Romeo's playing/riffs and techniques which is rather interesting to watch, at least for me. King of Terrors /metric modulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMGfsPhfJU

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 02:00:14 AM »
I'm sure Michael Romeo kept in mind to not sound too much like SX.

It was hard to articulate in detail, but there are definitely moments where it sounds A LOT like Symphony X.  I mean, there are plenty of times where songs were very derivative of the sound of V, or The Odyssey, or Paradise Lost.  But then other times where it was definitely way outside the box.  It is a good mix of both.  And yet, I somehow NEVER felt like I was listening to something that wasn't written by Michael Romeo.

Cool, that sounds like everything I want out of a (Romeo) solo project.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »

His economy of motion is really impressive.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »
Every time I see him in a video like that, he looks like he's thinking what he's going to have for dinner the day after while playing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2018, 07:14:19 PM »
Every time I see him in a video like that, he looks like he's thinking what he's going to have for dinner the day after while playing.
:lol
I do the same thing while I'm playing guitar. Jamming makes me hungry for some reason..
However, Michael Romeo's guitar chops take alot more energy to play than mine, so at least he has an excuse. I think I just fall into the starving musicians category.. 🍔🎶
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:36:33 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
I took abydos' comment as he plays so effortlessly that he can be thinking about something completely different and not miss a beat.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
Well it definitely sounds a lot like Symphony X, but it’s no Symphony X. It has some great riffs, but it also has quite a few riffs that sound like recycled Symphony X riffs and the choruses are typical prog/power metal choruses. Most of the choruses sounded very familiar to me unlike most of Symphony X’s choruses. Not a bad album by any means, but I’m disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:14:59 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2018, 01:14:36 AM »
I took abydos' comment as he plays so effortlessly that he can be thinking about something completely different and not miss a beat.
That's what I meant.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »
Well it definitely sounds a lot like Symphony X, but it’s no Symphony X. It has some great riffs, but it also has quite a few riffs that sound like recycled Symphony X riffs and the choruses are typical prog/power metal choruses. Most of the choruses sounded very familiar to me unlike most of Symphony X’s choruses. Not a bad album by any means, but I’m disappointed.

I had hoped that this project would move away from the samey power metal sound of the last SX album. Hope I can find some free time on the next days to digest it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2018, 03:48:18 AM »
Guys, I'll be interviewing drummer John Macaluso, who played on Romeo's new album, next Thursday. Let me know if you have any questions for him! He's an interesting character, and has played with Symphony X when Jason Rullo had heart issues. He also played with LaBrie in one of his solo tours, and with Malmsteen and Ark.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2018, 06:47:22 AM »

I'm almost through my first listen and I would have to agree with this though I wouldn't say I'm disappointed since it's pretty much what I expected. Really reminds me of a direct sequel to Paradise Lost. I've going to give it a few more spins at work today but this is feeling like a 3/5 album. Good but really nothing special.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »
My very first impression is that the album sounds like a blend of Avenged Sevenfold and Symphony X and leaned towards a more commercial sound..A lot of hooks and catchy melodies. Would love to hear an instrumental version of the album. There is a lot going on instrumentally. So far I'm digging it. Wish I can pull out that Romeo guitar sound. Absolutely love it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
3 solid listens.

Fear the Unknown, Black, Djinn, & Differences are all solid tunes with great riffs, solos, and vocal melodies. All of the rest did nothing for me or sounds like Symphony X b-sides. Being as I enjoyed 4/10 tracks I lower my ranking to 2/5.

Now time to move on to Redemption.  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
Robots sounds nothing like Symphony X.  What did you think of that one?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2018, 01:29:34 PM »

I appreciate the experiment but Robots just didn't click with me.  Everything just seemed disjointed.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
I was living in a blissful amnesia at how godawful and farty dubstep like that is. Other than that the song is good, but I know I won't listen to it with that shit in, it makes my ears hurt.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2018, 01:53:14 PM »

Invariably, I'm going to make this a 9-track album in my library.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
Y'all are crazy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2018, 02:44:09 PM »
Y'all are crazy.

Keep it on topic!   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Dropped the needle in a couple spots on Spotify.

Ordered! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2018, 03:23:51 PM »
TAC, stop liking good music.  I'm not sure I can handle this newfound change.

Y'all are crazy.

Keep it on topic!   :biggrin:

Oops.  Sorry, boss.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2018, 03:55:06 PM »
Dropped the needle in a couple spots on Spotify.

Ordered! :metal

Yep, I bought this and Redemption earlier this week just on a few samples and bosk's reviews. Should be in the mailbox when I get home.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »
Listening to F*cking Robots on Spotify now, haven't heard anything else (can't even remember what the first single sounds like). I dig the electronic elements. I really do. It's nice to hear a metal guitarist actually bringing something new to the table. Gonna play this over the weekend, sounds very promising.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
Listening to F*cking Robots on Spotify now, haven't heard anything else (can't even remember what the first single sounds like). I dig the electronic elements. I really do. It's nice to hear a metal guitarist actually bringing something new to the table. Gonna play this over the weekend, sounds very promising.

You roll anything even remotely similar to that in my Roulette, it's insta-elimination.

:bosk1:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2018, 05:22:07 PM »

You roll anything even remotely similar to that in my Roulette, it's insta-elimination.

:lol Even better. Randy Newman every single round.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »

:lol Even better. Randy Newman every single round.

Key word right there.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »
Is that the guy who does the Monk song?  Not a fan...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2018, 06:11:02 PM »

You'll be hearing him again shortly, methinks.  :biggrin: He does the 'You've Got A Friend In Me' song from Toy Story, the song Short People, a bunch of others... IAJOT is a good song to me but like many talented composers one song is not indicative of his style

Anyway... ROMEO! This guy shreds! Digging this album.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2018, 07:20:16 PM »

You'll be hearing him again shortly, methinks.  :biggrin: He does the 'You've Got A Friend In Me' song from Toy Story, the song Short People, a bunch of others... IAJOT is a good song to me but like many talented composers one song is not indicative of his style

Anyway... ROMEO! This guy shreds! Digging this album.

Yeah, just .  don't.  If you do, everyone else will have a really hard time getting a 10 that round.

As for Romeo's album, I wouldn't know.  I'm on vacation. :P. Will be checking it and Redemption out a little late.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2018, 09:37:40 PM »
Picked up my physical copy, and happy to be cranking it.  :metal

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2018, 01:16:26 AM »
Yeah, this sounds really SX for me, also F*cking Robots when you ignore those grumpy electric sounds. But I like it anyway, don't mind to compare these because Michael is the main composer anyways for SX and for this record.

I was wondering if this albums tells that SymX ever doing more albums or is Romeo moving with these solo albums now...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E