Author Topic: Michael Romeo solo track off upcoming solo album!!  (Read 17149 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Michael Romeo solo track off upcoming solo album!!
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
Fuck what does the chorus of Djinn sound like? I swear I’ve heard it before, it’s driving me nuts. I can’t truly enjoy the song because the chorus sounds so damn familiar. A lot of parts on that album sound really familiar to me, but none does as much as that part.

The pre-chorus to Bridges In The Sky maybe?

"Death survivor, take me higher..."
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2018, 02:31:05 AM »
Strange, the music I have heard so far doesn't grab me at all... It sounds very much like Romeo/SX by numbers, but without the characteristic performances of his main band, especially Russel Allen. I loved Underworld, consider it one of the best albums by the band, but I am really not that excited for Romeo's solo album. I'll wait for the next SX album.
any rock can be made to roll

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2018, 04:27:18 AM »
This album was really good and had lots of potential in the first few listens, but I've had no desire to go back and check it out since.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »
I still love it, probably an album I will return to every now and then for the coming years. A great balance between classical elements and straight up metal, with some interesting twists to the songs here and there, topped of by the great vocals.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
I really enjoy listening to this album, nice tribute to Star Wars snippets throughout.  Love the vocals! Romeo really writes awesome stuff!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2019, 04:58:07 AM »
So uh... any news on Pt 2?

Apparently it's been "almost done" since the release of Pt 1, yet it's been over a year, & there's still no announcement for the continuation in sight. :'(

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2022, 08:37:22 AM »
So uh... any news on Pt 2?

Apparently it's been "almost done" since the release of Pt 1, yet it's been over a year, & there's still no announcement for the continuation in sight. :'(

Michael Romeo releases video for "Divide & Conquer" – the first single from upcoming album ‘War of the World’s, Part 2’!

The album is due out March 25th, 2022.

Pre-Order starts today!

Watch the video here:
https://youtu.be/nBYM6Z9NMMg

Michael Romeo on his new solo album:
"I'm really excited to finally release the new solo album, ‘War of the Worlds, Part 2’. After many delays, lockdowns, new variants, etc... ha! It looks like things are getting back on track. I'm hoping this new music will put some smiles on some faces in these uncertain times. My best wishes to everyone for 2022!"

Director Wayne Joyner on making the video:
“Working on videos for Michael Romeo is such an amazing privilege and pleasure. I still feel like that 16-year-old kid jamming out to his shredding. Now I get work with a hero. How cool is that!! Total honor in every sense of the word!“ 

‘WAR OF THE WORLDS PT. 2’ is now available for pre-order as:

•    180g black 2LP Gatefold
•    Ltd. 2CD PocketPak (incl. Instrumental version of the album)
•    Digital Album

Pre-order the album here: https://michaelromeo.lnk.to/WarOfTheWorldsPt2

Tracklisting:
 1.Introduction - Part II (2:37)
2.Divide & Conquer (4:46)
3.Destroyer (5:34)
4.Metamorphosis (5:53)
5.Mothership (2:23)
6.Just Before the Dawn (5:01)
7.Hybrids (6:14)
8.Hunted (4:32)
9.Maschinenmensch (9:03)
10.Parasite (4:33)
11.Brave New World (Outro) (3:36)

Bonus Tracks:
12.The Perfect Weapon (7:41)
13.Alien DeathRay (4:31)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2022, 08:42:22 AM »
Listened to the new single. Sounds exactly how you would expect it to sound. Exactly. The chorus is very strong. Romeo just knows how to write catchy hooks! The singer sounds a bit like Russel Allen, Dio and Chris Cornell had a baby (sorry now you all have to live with this image in your mind). Romeo can still play like a maniac. But overall I find this style of prog metal... I don't know... outdated? I'm not sure how to put it. It's very well done, but I have discovered lots of newer prog metal over the last year and a half (Leprous, TesseracT) and those artists just sound more modern and refreshing to me.

Ah well, I will listen to this album and try to listen with fresh ears, so let's see  :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2022, 08:51:39 AM »
Yup, it's a Symphony X song.

Also your description of the singer is spot on, though I really wish he kept the last guy, it was nice to have something a LITTLE different, this just Symphony X with a Russell Allen lite singer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2022, 08:56:02 AM »
Listened to the new single. Sounds exactly how you would expect it to sound. Exactly. The chorus is very strong. Romeo just knows how to write catchy hooks! The singer sounds a bit like Russel Allen, Dio and Chris Cornell had a baby (sorry now you all have to live with this image in your mind). Romeo can still play like a maniac. But overall I find this style of prog metal... I don't know... outdated? I'm not sure how to put it. It's very well done, but I have discovered lots of newer prog metal over the last year and a half (Leprous, TesseracT) and those artists just sound more modern and refreshing to me.

Ah well, I will listen to this album and try to listen with fresh ears, so let's see  :)

This must be a first, YOU listening to a single!!  :lol

Your description of the singer is spot on, man, I swear I thought it was RA after listening to it, but now that I read your post I said, what, is not RA? LOL

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2022, 09:40:26 AM »
metal-archives.com says it's Dino Jelusic on vox??  I'm fine with this.

And yeah, this is everything I'd want/expect out of a MR/S-X track.  Me likey
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2022, 10:19:19 AM »
Whitesnake is metal as fuck!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2022, 10:47:26 AM »
Good song, but way too similar to the first album - which I loved, by the way, but I was expecting some kind of progression in the sound. I did like the vocals a lot, and have high hopes for this album.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2022, 10:48:27 AM »
Why not just do this as SX? I mean, it certainly sounds like RA and SX!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »
Why not just do this as SX? I mean, it certainly sounds like RA and SX!

I'm sure they're working on something. The material for this album was almost all written when Romeo's first album was done. He released this album becausa Russell was still in shock with the Adrenaline Mob accident and Romeo wanted to release SOMETHING to keep busy.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »
Good song, but way too similar to the first album - which I loved, by the way, but I was expecting some kind of progression in the sound. I did like the vocals a lot, and have high hopes for this album.

The artwork for part 2 is the same as part 1 with only PART 2 written on it. So, yeah, this one won't be too different than the previous one. Plus, if I recall correctly the "new one" was written during the sessions of the 1st one

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2022, 11:04:21 AM »
The new track is good, but I like the singer way wayyyyy better on the first album.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2022, 01:48:32 PM »
Its the exact same thing over again, and its even more or a SX song clone than ever.  A bit disappointing if you ask me.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2022, 02:29:29 PM »
Its the exact same thing over again, and its even more or a SX song clone than ever.  A bit disappointing if you ask me.

This is why I like it so much honestly.  Can't stand SX pre Paradise Lost and I LOVE this new track!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2022, 02:29:55 PM »

The artwork for part 2 is the same as part 1 with only PART 2 written on it. So, yeah, this one won't be too different than the previous one. Plus, if I recall correctly the "new one" was written during the sessions of the 1st one

Yeah the similarly in the album covers bothered me too.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »
It seems the album has been delayed since this was posted in the SX thread.  :-\ Oh well, March 25 it is

News on Michael Romeo's new album:

InsideOutMusic is pleased to announce the signing of legendary Symphony X guitarist Michael Romeo , for the release of his upcoming album ‘War of the Worlds, Part II’.  The follow up to his 2018 album ‘War of the Worlds, Part 1’, will be released on Feb 4th, 2022.
For WOTW2, Romeo welcomed a couple of returning players – drummer John Macaluso and bassist John “JD” DeServio – but the album marks the first time he worked with Croatian singer Dino Jelusick. “I go way back with John and JD, so they were the obvious choices, but this time I wanted to try something different with the vocals”, Romeo says. “Dino came highly recommended, and he totally nailed it! He really brought an exciting element to the music.”
The new album proves again, that Michael Romeo is one of the most renowned songwriters in progressive metal. His new studio effort is a mind-blowing return that till take every progressive metal enthusiast on a journey!
Get a taste of the new album here: https://youtu.be/sUbAtYWReig
#MICHAELROMEO #SYMPHONYX #PROG #METAL #DINOJELUSIC #JOHNDESERVIO #JOHNMACALUSO

Snippet sounds exactly how you'd think it would sound. But that chorus is great.

I wonder why he can't release these compositions with his main band. He was always the main composer of the band anyway.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2022, 03:58:36 PM »
It seems the album has been delayed since this was posted in the SX thread.  :-\ Oh well, March 25 it is

InsideOutMusic is pleased to announce the signing of legendary Symphony X guitarist Michael Romeo , for the release of his upcoming album ‘War of the Worlds, Part II’.  The follow up to his 2018 album ‘War of the Worlds, Part 1’, will be released on Feb 4th, 2022.
For WOTW2, Romeo welcomed a couple of returning players – drummer John Macaluso and bassist John “JD” DeServio – but the album marks the first time he worked with Croatian singer Dino Jelusick. “I go way back with John and JD, so they were the obvious choices, but this time I wanted to try something different with the vocals”, Romeo says. “Dino came highly recommended, and he totally nailed it! He really brought an exciting element to the music.”
The new album proves again, that Michael Romeo is one of the most renowned songwriters in progressive metal. His new studio effort is a mind-blowing return that till take every progressive metal enthusiast on a journey!
Get a taste of the new album here: https://youtu.be/sUbAtYWReig
#MICHAELROMEO #SYMPHONYX #PROG #METAL #DINOJELUSIC #JOHNDESERVIO #JOHNMACALUSO

Snippet sounds exactly how you'd think it would sound. But that chorus is great.

I wonder why he can't release these compositions with his main band. He was always the main composer of the band anyway.

Because of Russell.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2022, 04:11:54 PM »

*snip*

Because of Russell.

Are you responding to me (to explain the delay) or the Fritzinger post I quoted (to explain why he doesn't release it as SX)?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2022, 04:27:13 PM »
Sorry, it was to Fritzinger.

I didn't know about the postponement. Yeah, they were late in releasing that single, with less than a month for the initial intended release date!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2022, 07:30:51 AM »
I listened to the new Michael Romeo single out of curiosity!

It was a pretty good Symphony X song. :biggrin: It sounds exactly like SymX, and even has a Russel Allen clone singing in it. Honestly I really thought it was Russel at first, and had to double check to be sure it really wasn't him.

Why not use Russel instead? I'm sure he isn't too busy nowadays..

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2022, 10:50:28 AM »
Sounds nothing like Russel to me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2022, 11:04:49 AM »
Sounds like a mix of the Firewind singer from the Allegiance album and David Coverdale.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »
I don't know anything about Dino outside of this but he sounds exactly 100% like Russ to me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2022, 02:55:30 PM »
I listened to the new Michael Romeo single out of curiosity!

It was a pretty good Symphony X song. :biggrin: It sounds exactly like SymX, and even has a Russel Allen clone singing in it. Honestly I really thought it was Russel at first, and had to double check to be sure it really wasn't him.

Why not use Russel instead? I'm sure he isn't too busy nowadays..

When it was time to do another Symphony X album, Russell was still recovering from the Adrenaline Mob accident. Romeo then signed a deal for two albums, and recorded almost everything at once. When the first one came out I interviewed him and the drummer of these albums, John Macaluso, and both mentioned that part II was already 75% done. I think Symphony X is working on a new album, and have the best intentions to continue their anniversary tour, covid allowing. The timing for this second Romeo album is a little bit off, but I'll take it for what it is. He's a perfectionist, and wouldn't want to tour to promote this album unless the orchestral parts - of which there are many - could be played by an orchestra. So it's highly unlikely that he will play this material live in any capacity.

About the vocals, it seems he can never get it right, in the minds of the fans. When the first one came out, I read a lot of "yeah, cool album, but the vocals are way too different from Russell's, and I always associate this type of music with Russel Allen". Now he has Dino, who can pretty much sing ANYTHING, and people are complaining that he's sounding too much like Russell...

Here's Dino doing a song from a short-lived project called Stone Leaders, which was spearheaded by John MAcaluso, and sounds a lot like Ark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWR_EyFa_nc

Also, Dino was part of Dirty Honey, a project with George Lynch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9cPMNI4JS0

He also created this - what if a LTE siong had vocals? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeMCAOIXPxA

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2022, 03:02:35 PM »
I bought the first one, and I might've listened to it once.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2022, 03:09:44 PM »
I bought the first one, and I might've listened to it once.

I got it too.  I thought it was great for a couple of spins but it had no real lasting power for me.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2022, 05:21:05 PM »
Any idea who the other personnel are?

Dino Jelusick  vocals, James Deservio (Zakk Wylde,  Vinnie Moore) bass. John Macaluso drums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2022, 05:25:46 PM »

Dino Jelusick  vocals, James Deservio (Zakk Wylde,  Vinnie Moore) bass. John Macaluso drums.

Wow. 4 years for the answer. Better late than never I guess. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2022, 05:28:37 PM »

Wow. 4 years for the answer. Better late than never I guess. :lol

Holy crap. I thought this was for his new one, just saw the 2018! Sorry  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2022, 02:13:25 AM »

You forgot Michael Romeo on guitar.