Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 21874 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »
Loose contact is my first thought as well.  I was concerned when you kept calling it the "needle".  Typically it's the "stylus" or if it's all one assembly it's often referred to as the "cartridge" (but a lot of people just call it the needle anyway  :xbones).  My concern was because a free-standing stylus (or whatever they're called) is much more fragile and much more a pain in the ass to replace.  I don't read German but it looks like the the DSN 85 is the whole cartridge assembly, which should be a simple replacement, so I'm thinking something inside the cartridge is loose.  Hopefully you can return/replace it.

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm sorry about the word "needle", that's literally how you call it in German though ;)

Now, I just uninstalled everything around my turntable, including the cartridge, unplugged everything and reinstalled everything for one last time - prepared to totally freak out and smash everything in my apartment into a million pieces after still hearing that weird noise.

I might never know what the problem was... but now it works. After requesting a return-sticker from Amazon and ordering a different cartridge from another website  :lol  Anyway, I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for your help  :biggrin: I will now listen to no-man - Together We're Stranger on vinyl!
me desperté en un mundo con dos tipos de gente: la mas y la menos extrema

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
Cool that the problem seems to be fixed!  Too bad you'll probably never figure out what it was.  Life is full of disappointments, but at least it's a "good" unexplainable thing and not a "bad" unexplainable thing, which would really be annoying.

I hadn't considered the language barrier, even though the German site should've clued me in.  As a former aspiring audio snob, I remember audio snobs back in the 70's and 80's discussing at length the difference between "needle" and "stylus" and "cartridge" and I guess it stuck with me.  I always try to use the term which provides distinction wherever possible; I just hadn't considered that there might not be such a distinction in other languages.