Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68158 times)

Offline gabeh1018

Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #1085 on: June 09, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
nothing impressive about this title!

As far as only 4 or so teams being able to win each year...
this has been the NBA going back to the beginning???
80s... Lakers, Pistons, Celtics, 76ers
90s Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers
2000s Lakers, Spurs, Heat, Pistons, Celtics
2010s Mavericks, Spurs, Heat, Warriors, Cavaliers

Am I missing anything?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1086 on: June 09, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
nothing impressive about this title!

As far as only 4 or so teams being able to win each year...
this has been the NBA going back to the beginning???
80s... Lakers, Pistons, Celtics, 76ers
90s Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers
2000s Lakers, Spurs, Heat, Pistons, Celtics
2010s Mavericks, Spurs, Heat, Warriors, Cavaliers

Am I missing anything?

I have a lot of criticisms about the NBA, but I will defend this one.     I like the way the NBA is setup with the sortof "rotating dynasty" thing.    I mean, if a league has a different dominant team EVERY year, then you may as well pass out participation trophies.   But if a dynasty lasted more than a decade, and that team was just able to keep buying the best player all the time, that would get boring too.   But the NBA (I don't know if it's by design, or by accident) seems to have this system where a team is able to experiment like a chemist with putting all the right "elements" together.   When they finally nail it, they are able to ride it out through the entire career of their core players careers.     Then, after a decade or so, things dissolve, and some other team is able to pull things together. 

And what's even cooler about it is that it's usually not JUST one team, but a decent base of 8-10 really decent competitive teams that create fantastic rivalries.    And usually, you have one sortof dark horse squad that doesn't seem to be that great....but for some reason (either good matchups, or just being in their heads) they are able to play the dominant team strongly.   

I think it all makes for the perfect balance between too much rotation of the championships, and too little. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1087 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:33 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty cool.  And I don't get the hate for dynasties either.  If you enjoy the game, whether it be football, basketball, or whatever, and a team goes on an unprecedented run of success, why is it seemingly hard to sit back and just be impressed at getting to witness historical greatness?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1088 on: June 11, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty cool.  And I don't get the hate for dynasties either.  If you enjoy the game, whether it be football, basketball, or whatever, and a team goes on an unprecedented run of success, why is it seemingly hard to sit back and just be impressed at getting to witness historical greatness?

Says the guy who's team is in the midst of one of those dynasties.  If you lived a few hundred miles south, and were (or tried to be) a Clippers fan, how would you be feeling?  Do you eat your favorite meal 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, or do you like a little variety?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1089 on: June 11, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »

Says the guy who's team is in the midst of one of those dynasties.  If you lived a few hundred miles south, and were (or tried to be) a Clippers fan, how would you be feeling?  Do you eat your favorite meal 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, or do you like a little variety?

Yes, but I have had to watch numerous sports dynasties that I at best couldn't care less about or at worst hated.  And I can't say I have ever felt like, "Well, I hate this sport now because I can't bear to watch the [Bulls/Lakers/Cowboys/Bills/Patriots/etc.] win all the time."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: June 11, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »

Yes, but I have had to watch numerous sports dynasties that I at best couldn't care less about or at worst hated.  And I can't say I have ever felt like, "Well, I hate this sport now because I can't bear to watch the [Bulls/Lakers/Cowboys/Bills/Patriots/etc.] win all the time."

I wouldn't say I hate the sport, just incredibly uninterested in seeing the same ole same ole.  At least with many of those dynasties, there were different opponents, so some variety in those championships.  When has any other sport (other than pre 70s when there weren't as many teams) had the same final championship opponents for four straight years?  I'm just tired of it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: June 11, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
Dwayne Casey landed right on his feet with a 5 year deal in Detroit!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: June 11, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »

It's a step back but maybe the players the Pistons have are a better fit to the type of game he wants to play. And not having that much pressure might help him do a better job.

I wouldn't say I hate the sport, just incredibly uninterested in seeing the same ole same ole.  At least with many of those dynasties, there were different opponents, so some variety in those championships.  When has any other sport (other than pre 70s when there weren't as many teams) had the same final championship opponents for four straight years?  I'm just tired of it.

This is what I've been feeling for the past 2 seasons. Having the same finals 4 years in a row is just boring. When Miami got there 4 times in a row at least they played against 3 different opponents which was more fun. And I feel both series against the Spurs were much more entertaining than the ones against the warriors because it was two good teams competing and not one super-team against one superhuman.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »

It's a step back but maybe the players the Pistons have are a better fit to the type of game he wants to play. And not having that much pressure might help him do a better job.

I mean... this Detroit team is a lot better than the Toronto team that he started out with.  I think it's a good fit and that we'll see the Pistons trending upwards while the Raptors trend downward.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: June 11, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »

I mean... this Detroit team is a lot better than the Toronto team that he started out with.  I think it's a good fit and that we'll see the Pistons trending upwards while the Raptors trend downward.

Sadly, I think you're spot on with this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1095 on: June 11, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »

This is what I've been feeling for the past 2 seasons. Having the same finals 4 years in a row is just boring. When Miami got there 4 times in a row at least they played against 3 different opponents which was more fun. And I feel both series against the Spurs were much more entertaining than the ones against the warriors because it was two good teams competing and not one super-team against one superhuman.

I think more people would be fine with the same teams playing every year if it felt competitive.  Even though they never played four years in a row in the finals in the 80's, Celtics/Lakers was always awesome because you knew either team could win.  And even when the Bulls were winning 6 titles in 8 years, half of those finals felt like they could have gone the other way if just this play or that play had played out differently (both Utah series and the Phoenix one).