Author Topic: Watchmen - HBO  (Read 5654 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Watchmen - HBO
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 09:07:09 PM »
Just got caught up on the last 2 episodes. Man, this is just so staggeringly good. I did like how Ep 5 shed light on the original ending as I didn't actually know it. Now that I do, I do prefer the movie ending.

I really wasn't sure how this would be, but this show is amazing. Hope they stick the landing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »
What the fuck! Episode 7 and just two more and yet more surprises. This show is so fucking bananas.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2019, 06:04:04 PM »
I’m not sure how I felt about this twist. How the show/season ends will be the determining factor.

Edit: I feel like this was the first time in the show that it got weird and twisty for the sake of it, and not because the story called for it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:51:13 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 07:47:07 PM »
Edit: I feel like this was the first time in the show that it got weird and twisty for the sake of it, and not because the story called for it.

I saw on reddit a few people had put some of the clues together from previous episodes and correctly predicted the twist prior to the episode airing. We shall see how it plays out the next two episodes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »
Maybe. Doesn’t matter.

Read an interview with Damon that said it was essentially reverse engineered. They wanted X and constructed a way to make X happen. Maybe that’s why it rubs me the wrong way. X was inserted in by desire, not cause the story was naturally going there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
Hmm well I'll wait and see how much of a factor it is, I didn't have an issue with it hopefully it pays off.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2019, 05:33:59 AM »
So amazing as usual episode again last night,  so much revealed and loved the non-linear story.

Offline Adami

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
Very well executed, and I really liked most of it.

However, I am just still not on board with Dr. Manhattan's role thus far. It feels extremely forced and only there to have him in the show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
Not getting that vibe at all. I'm loving Doc's role and how it's been adapted for the series. I loved the editing of that previous episode. So well done.

Offline Adami

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »
Not getting that vibe at all. I'm loving Doc's role and how it's been adapted for the series. I loved the editing of that previous episode. So well done.

That’s cool. I feel like I’m not just in the minority, but maybe the only person who feels that way hah. Luckily it’s not enough to make me dislike it.

Just to clarify, I think the execution is fantastic. It's like Damon said "So....I want Dr. Manhattan in this show...in Tulsa....in 2019.....and he has to be in love with a main character even though that is COMPLETELY not in character for him.....make it work writers!" and they did the best possible job with that.

I think the actor is doing a good job, though I think Billy Crudup is the definitive Dr. Manhattan, and I think the writing is really good. It's just that.....his character shouldn't be doing that stuff. This is the dude that couldn't love Laurie despite his desire to, and said that there is no difference between a living or dead person. He isn't falling in love with anyone. I'm sorry. And they used the time paradox very well, and made it just convoluted and well executed enough to make us not question it, but it doesn't explain any of it. He still shouldn't be in love with her. His other stuff is good. The stuff with Adrian was fantastic and his stuff on Europa was great. Like I said, it's just not in his character to be in the position he is. That's my issue. I can't let go of that, no matter how well they execute the bad idea.   
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:43:41 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2019, 10:36:56 PM »
LOVED the finale. That last scene ended exactly how I thought it would lol. So much to unpack. Sad it's all over and really won't mind if they don't do a second season. If they do it will have to be even more well thought out than this season. Maybe someone else can tackle it, but I'm very satisfied with the finale.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2019, 07:44:01 AM »
That finale was pretty fantastic.

Adrian Veidt.  Saves the world.

AGAIN.  lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »
I was skeptical when it was announced that the series would be a continuation of the Watchmen universe rather than an adaptation, but Lindelof and co delivered the goods all season :tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Adami

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »
Very good last episode.

Still don't like the Dr. Manhattan story line, but the rest of it was fantastic, and they did the best they could with Manhattan.

I, personally, hope there's either no second season, or if there is, that it's an anthology thing, with no strong connection to what happened here other than mentioning it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
I too would like a second season to be anthology based, this season was a great one season arc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2019, 07:47:17 PM »
Just finished it. Absolutely loved it. I had no problem with the Manhattan stuff and thought they connected it all very well. I couldn't be happier with how it all played out. Fantastic show.

I saw something somewhere where Lindelof wasn't sure there would be any more. Well, now I see he is already second guessing that.

In this article he still wonders if it should continue and mentions it could be a while until you see more. I would think along the lines of Westworld, which returns when it feels like it.

https://www.cbr.com/damon-lindelof-return-watchmen-season-2/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2020, 08:21:30 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
"HBO won't pursue second season of 'Watchmen' after creator bows out"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/01/16/watchmen-second-hbo-season-wont-happen-after-creator-bails/4491269002/

General sentiment out there seems to be, 'it's okay, I'm not mad'.

I'm right there. It was such a fantastic season of TV and the ending was satisfying. Closure, yet still open-ended if they ever want to revisit. Kudos to HBO for realizing that it's better to walk away rather than replace Damon.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2020, 08:13:44 AM »
I vaguely remember the movie. I mean, I watched it, overall I liked it, but I can't honestly say I could write you down the plot and being more specific than "There are the Watchers which are superheroes but kinda destitute and there's that cool dude with a mask and Dr. Manhattan which is blue and the bad guy was one of them".

Do you think a rewatch of this movie is advised to prepare better for the series, or I could just go for it ignoring the movie?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2020, 08:21:42 AM »
I vaguely remember the movie. I mean, I watched it, overall I liked it, but I can't honestly say I could write you down the plot and being more specific than "There are the Watchers which are superheroes but kinda destitute and there's that cool dude with a mask and Dr. Manhattan which is blue and the bad guy was one of them".

Do you think a rewatch of this movie is advised to prepare better for the series, or I could just go for it ignoring the movie?

You could go in blind, but I would suggest watching the movie first as it would definitely help. Except for the ending, the movie was close to the comics. The show does make reference to the comic ending rather than the movie. Otherwise, I would say that knowing the movie and it's characters only made the show even more enjoyable.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2020, 12:00:22 PM »
Ok then, thanks!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!