Author Topic: Watchmen - HBO  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Watchmen - HBO
« on: May 29, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
So, apparently Damon Lindelof will be doing a Watchmen TV series. He posted a loooooong letter on Instagram detailing why he's working on it where he basically says that they'll be working on new characters and a new story in the same world that Watchmen happened but that it's neither a prequel nor a sequel. More can be read in the link below.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/damon-lindelof-posts-open-watchmen-letter-instagram-1114216

I've never read the comics so I'm not going to say I'm a fan. I did like the movie and the world it depicted and I think Lindelof is a freaking genius so this project really interests me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Watchmen - HBO
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »
Damon Lindelof is a hack, but I love watchmen, so If he brings something cool to the table, then I am down.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 12:22:59 PM »
Cannot wait for this. I've been following this since it was announced in Summer 2017 after The Leftovers ended. For anyone who hasn't seen The Leftovers, you must check it out. That's why I have confidence Watchmen will be incredible.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »
Cannot wait for this. I've been following this since it was announced in Summer 2017 after The Leftovers ended. For anyone who hasn't seen The Leftovers, you must check it out. That's why I have confidence Watchmen will be incredible.

Leftovers was incredible. First season was ‘good’. S2 and S3 were some of the best writing and acting I’ve seen.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »
Holy shit what a start to the series. The cinematography and score of that episode was just breathtaking. Loved all the nods and references to the source material/movie? I can't decide if I want to wait each week or just binge it all at the end.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »
Great series opener, very balanced in tone between Lindelofian and Watchmen. Gonna keep watching.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 05:55:34 AM »
What do y’all think of that shot of the tv showing Dr. Manhattan obliterate a castle... one that looks similar to the one “Adrian Veidt” lives in? Is his castle even on Earth?

I really think this show is going to throw its viewers for a loop, nothing new for Lindelof. One thing I’m unsure about is Lindelof himself never confirmed Irons’ character to be Ozymandias, as far as I know. It’s been “confirmed” on the web but I’m really curious to know what the hell is going on with Manhattan/Veidt.

And damn, what an ending. Was not expecting that to happen so quickly.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
Will I be able to watch/follow this without being familiar with the source material?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 08:10:39 AM »
I think it might be a little difficult to understand what's going on for someone who hasn't read the book or watched the movie at least. This show is supposed to take place in the Watchmen universe post comic book events. While the story itself in the show may be self-sufficient, there are loads of references to the source material. I think you might still enjoy it on the episodes own merit but probably will have a ton of questions.

Me personally I thought the score and cinematography of the episode was absolutely breathtaking, the story was very interesting, there are obvious political overtones which goes without saying since the book is quite political in nature.

I'm quite excited to see where it goes and myself will avoid reading too much into the theories as I would like to watch them unfold.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 08:28:18 AM »
Wow, I really enjoyed that!  Can't wait to see where they take this!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »
Will I be able to watch/follow this without being familiar with the source material?

Just watch the 2009 movie, it's pretty good and also faithful to the graphic novel, aside from one detail that I can leave here. Ozymandias ends the threat of the nuclear war between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R by making the world unite against a common threat, albeit that threat being fake. In the movie that threat is Dr. Manhattan and in the novel it's an alien invasion.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »
Edit: My first double post ever!  :eek

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »

Just watch the 2009 movie, it's pretty good and also faithful to the graphic novel, aside from one detail that I can leave here. Ozymandias ends the threat of the nuclear war between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R by making the world unite against a common threat, albeit that threat being fake. In the movie that threat is Dr. Manhattan and in the novel it's an alien invasion.

To me, that worked pretty well in the film.  I never read the novel, but from reviews that I read after the film came out, I seem to recall that people seemed to feel that that was the main flaw with the novel's storyline that didn't work so well there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
I prefer the movie version as well. They're definitely going with the novel as cannon though, what with the squid rain and all.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 06:44:28 PM »
I know the movie is very divisive, but I have maintained for years that it is hands down my favorite comic book/graphic novel/hero movie. It is so different than all the rest.

Of course, if you are going to watch it you need to make sure you catch the Director's Cut, or go all out for the Ultimate Cut.

Just watched the first episode and I absolutely caught a bunch of easter eggs that point back to the source material. I'm definitely in on this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 07:09:23 PM »
The movie is amazing and the Director's cut is the best version. I haven't read the book and intend to so soon. I did read about the changes and from what I gather, the book ending wouldn't have worked in the movie without it making look corny. Either way I'm a huge of the movie and this show is an amazing continuation of that world.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
Yeah, I have the book. Just haven't gotten around to reading it. I bought this big Ultimate Edition box of the movie on blu-ray and the box contained a hardcover copy of the complete graphic novel.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
I just bought that version off ebay last night  ;D because I only had the single disc version. Can't wait to finally dig in the book.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »
The book is fantastic, and the film is mostly good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 06:52:37 AM »
The book is fantastic, and the film is mostly good.

And the show will probably be better than both ;) (but I’m a big Lindelof fan)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 10:20:06 PM »
The show with 3 episodes in is killing it so far, each episode is as amazing as the previous one. I honestly did not think it would be this great. It's unraveling like an onion and the week to week wait is torture.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 04:42:10 AM »
It’s amazing watching this unfold. Having no clue what will happen. Wonderful.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 06:45:42 AM »
I’ve been waiting to watch the movie first. Need to get that done. Good thing is I’ll have a few episodes in the bank to be able to binge.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 07:00:34 AM »
I watched the movie again last week after so many years and it really holds up, it's as fantastic as I remember it. I am now reading the graphic novel and it fills in some details.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »
I’ve been waiting to watch the movie first. Need to get that done. Good thing is I’ll have a few episodes in the bank to be able to binge.

I just caught up on the season and you definitely need to watch the movie first. I wasn't sure if it was necessary but after 4 episodes, it absolutely is. This is turning out better than I could have imagined.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »

I just caught up on the season and you definitely need to watch the movie first. I wasn't sure if it was necessary but after 4 episodes, it absolutely is. This is turning out better than I could have imagined.

So much to watch these days  :lol  I still plan to watch the movie then the series but the amount of shows that have come back here lately and that are hitting soon is really starting to pile up.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 05:12:13 AM »
Last night’s episode was amazing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 08:09:03 AM »
You could literally say that about any episode so far, all 5 of them have been so good. We are now past the halfway mark and have 4 left. Each character in this show is so well done. Every single one of them intrigues me.

There are a ton of easter eggs all over each episode too so the rewatch value is extremely high. I'm avoiding reading up on any theories as some of them have been right on the money. I'd rather be surprised while watching the show.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 08:15:50 AM »
Still need to see episode 5, but all four before that were amazing.

That said, Lindeloff still has me nervous. As we know from Lost, the dude is amazing at build up and and making things very exciting. But what has he not proven to be good at? Pay off.

So far, as good as Watchmen is, it's all build up (as I guess it would be anyway) so I'm just nervous if there's any good pay off, which Lindeloff isn't very good at.

Guess we'll see!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »
I know Lost was Lindelof's cross to bear but I think he learnt a lot from it and crafted The Leftovers just right. It had an excellent payoff with a great buildup and my guess is that he will do the same with Watchmen. I think it will end in a typical Lindelof way, some answered mysteries, some unanswered and then a few ambiguous threads left open.

I haven't heard or read anything official about a season 2 yet so they may have made this season to be self contained for the most part.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
I know Lost was Lindelof's cross to bear but I think he learnt a lot from it and crafted The Leftovers just right. It had an excellent payoff with a great buildup and my guess is that he will do the same with Watchmen. I think it will end in a typical Lindelof way, some answered mysteries, some unanswered and then a few ambiguous threads left open.

I haven't heard or read anything official about a season 2 yet so they may have made this season to be self contained for the most part.

Ah, I have not seen Leftovers. But outside of Lost, I have not been impressed by the stuff I did see.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2019, 08:47:43 AM »
I think his movies are hit and miss for sure, and if I'm not mistaken his involvement in almost all of those movie projects came in much later as a 'fixer' of the script. I know in World war Z and Prometheus that was the case.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2019, 07:03:48 PM »
I wish I could come here and talk about every episode after it airs but I'm rarely on a computer and I hate typing on my phone.
Anyway, the show has been amazing, I've seen every episode 3 or 4 times in the week leading up to the next one, it's very intriguing and the world invites immersion like no other.
I've also re-read the novel over the last 2 weeks, I had to go back to it last night cause I remember a billboard that said "Nostalgia by Veidt" but I couldn't find it so I did some research and it turns out that Nostalgia was a fragrance, not pills, so it's unrelated to the subject from yesterday.
After Lost, I hated Lindeloff with a passion, it was easily the single most piece of entertainment I ever regretted watching and I was not willing to give the guy a second chance until someone really sold it to me so I gave it a shot and was completely blown away. I did some research and it turns out Lindeloff has been begging ABC to end Lost by season 4 and they kept pushing back. Keeping in mind it was still the age where seasons had 20+ fuckin episodes, there was no way he could have paid off the layers upon layers of intrigue that kept building up. The Leftovers is everything Lost could have been and better, it simply redeemed Lindeloff for me and I was on board for whatever he had to offer. I was never into Watchmen, I read the novel and watched the movie for the first time when the show was announced last year.

Online Adami

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »
So I've been listening to people talk about the movie and their issues with it, and it got me thinking.

I really loved the movie, but then noticed so few others did. Seems they didn't for a wide variety of reasons, but one of them, at least, I am able to fully understand and can now appreciate as a legit detractor.

I have no issues with them changing the ending from a giant squid monster to Dr. Manhattan. I think it kept the same point and made it just more personable. So I was totally cool with it.

However, the main criticism I found that I now agree with is how they portrayed any hero other than Dr. Manhattan as an actual super human. One main point of Watchmen (and the show is doing this quite well) is that Dr. Manhattan is the one true super-man, everyone else is a human with various sets of skills. So seeing Ozymandias be stronger than a human, or seeing Night Owl and Silk Spectre fight like super humans kind of missed the point. I think if they were portrayed as more human, and less with extra abilities, it would have been damn near perfect.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 02:58:18 PM »
Took me a while to get to 2nd watch of Little Fear of Lightening. I don't know how I missed "squid pro quo" the first time :lol, that's gold Jerry, gold.
Also finally got around to viewing this week's Peteypedia. So up to this point the weekly release of these documents delivered a lot of information that helps with the world building and the events between 1985 and 2019, so the casual viewer won't be too fucked if they didn't read it.
But this time I kinda think one of these files is essential knowledge to understanding what's gonna happen to Angela after she swallowed these pills, it's flyer for Nostalgia, the pills, from when it first came out in 2007, the pills have been banned in 2010.
Here's the flyer, pretty interesting. I think we're in for a trippy episode this Sunday.
Link to Peteypedia in case anyone wants to dive in the other documents.
PREDICTION I'm gonna bet that at some point in the episode, as Angela roams her grandpa's memories, she will see him put white paint around his eyes and put on Hooded Justice outfit, a scene reminiscing of how she puts on her Sister Night outfit. Finally putting to rest the question why all the original Minutemen assumed Hooded Justice was a white guy, especially Hollis Mason's memoir "Under The Hood" where Hollis claims HJ was a big strong German guy.