Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Shooters1221

Re: Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »
Major QT fan and was waiting for this one quite awhile. Loved this movie, especially because the title speaks for what the movie theme truly is. More great dialogue as expected, the 3 hours flew by and liked the history bending finish. My only minor criticism was the lack of violence, I know the one scene was worth the wait but considering his last few offerings with massive blood scenes....I was just expecting more....Fantastic movie though!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
Asking for more violence during a week with 2 mass shootings. First world problems I guess.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
Normal people can separate tv and movie violence from real violence.

Not once have I ever thought or tried to drop an anvil off a cliff to hit someone on the head.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 06:40:22 PM »

Not once have I ever thought or tried to drop an anvil off a cliff to hit someone on the head.

TAC notwithstanding, right? :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
His violence was an Italian guy with a mallet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »
Asking for more violence during a week with 2 mass shootings. First world problems I guess.

Fucking seriously???

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »

Normal people don't like watching other humans being hurt and killed. Pretty sick IMO. "shrug"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 10:26:52 AM »

Normal people don't like watching other humans being hurt and killed. Pretty sick IMO. "shrug"

Though I don't want to get into pot shots around the subjectivity of "normal", I would question the reason to connect real events with something that is 100% rooted in FICTION.  You loved Endgame - lots of humans being hurt and killed there.  #shrug.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 10:30:14 AM »

Sorry, but this is 100% utter BS. It's fictional entertainment. "Normal" people actually CAN tell the difference between the two and don't get a stiffy off watching choreographed ultraviolence because they think someone is literally being beaten to death. If you don't like violence that's fine but what you just said is lazy and insulting thinking toward those of us who can tell (and appreciate) the difference between real and fake violence. And, yeah, if you indeed liked Endgame, there's a TON of violence in that, and even more brutality in Infinity War.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:35:28 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »

My friends have shared some videos of mass shootings (real ones) and I never watch those, I find it highly disturbing and really annoyed my friends think its cool to share.  They also happen to be the doctors and police of my friends so maybe they are just used to seeing gore, but for me, I have no desire to see any real life violence especially deaths.  However, if it's just a movie or video game, I have no issue watching and even enjoying it for entertainment although when it's depicted in a more reality way (think Saving Private Ryan) it gets really hard to watch and the only reason I would watch those is because of the emotions it makes you feel.  Nothing "sick" and who's to say whats "normal" anyway. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
That line really bugs me and I gotta come back to it. Look at a good Martin Scorsese movie. Goodfellas is packed to the brim with violence, but it's part of the story. There are brutal scenes in that movie that actually add to the experience and make the characters believable. When Henry whips his neighbor's ass for touching his wife, or when Tommy's rage boils over and he kills Batts. So many great moments, and the violence is an effective punctuation, almost serving as a climax to the tension in any given scene. And it's fun to watch. It's not real, nobody's actually dying, but it's fun in a dark way to watch these characters do horrible things.

EDIT: Raging Bull. A movie entirely about violence. Amazing film.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:22:30 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »

Do I want to see real life murder on TV?  No way.  Can I see it in an action film?  Yes.  Why?  Because it's fake.  I know it.  My mind can bend around that thought, it's not real.

Does it make me want to go out and murder?  Not once have I ever had that thought.  Are other's weak and can be manipulated?  Yes.  They need help, I'm ok.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »

TAC notwithstanding, right? :P

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
Major QT fan and was waiting for this one quite awhile. Loved this movie, especially because the title speaks for what the movie theme truly is. More great dialogue as expected, the 3 hours flew by and liked the history bending finish. My only minor criticism was the lack of violence, I know the one scene was worth the wait but considering his last few offerings with massive blood scenes....I was just expecting more....Fantastic movie though!!
I think Tarantino was fucking with us with the violence. Specifically, he was toying with our expectations and using them against us. We all know his movies are violent, and we all know how the events on La Bianca turned out. These are the things we expect to see, he teased us with them, and then went in different directions. When Pitt was demanding to see the old rancher everybody in the theater knew exactly what he was going to find. We were all completely wrong. When Tex and the two girls are walking up the cul de sac we all know exactly how it plays out. We were wrong. I kind of liked that. I think he was manipulating us and it made the ending better as a result.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 07:25:53 PM »
Barto, I agree with that take.

I know some people dislike the idea of giving alternate endings to real life situations, like the basterds killing Hitler in Inglorious Basterds, but it's a freaking movie, not a documentary. 

As for the violence, again, it's a freaking movie, not real life.  Most of us can recognize the difference.  I do think in a way that a small portion of the population can get de-sensitized to violence to where they think it is normal or even accepted, but should art having a strait jacket put around it because of a few nuts jobs who may or may not have mental health problems? Nah.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »
Definite spoiler here, but I reckon we're past that point now.

Barto, I agree with that take.

I know some people dislike the idea of giving alternate endings to real life situations, like the basterds killing Hitler in Inglorious Basterds, but it's a freaking movie, not a documentary. 
Because of the possibility of the alternative endings I genuinely didn't know how it would end. I figured there was a 50/50 shot that Margot Robbie's hot ass got carved up. I also figured a few other scenarios. I think QT did an excellent job of managing tension. There was a real buildup at the ranch that let you back down to a still satisfying ending. There was an even bigger buildup to the massacre, and it was even more satisfying despite, or maybe because of not being what we were expecting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 11:59:27 AM »

Given the popularity of Action and Horror movies, I'd say that it is perfectly normal. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
Goodfellas is packed to the brim with violence, but it's part of the story. There are brutal scenes in that movie that actually add to the experience and make the characters believable.
Oh man Joe Pesci irritated the living hell out of me in that movie!  That's the reason I could never watch it again..  :lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:05:48 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
What hes the best part of the movie! Do I look like a clown?!  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
What hes the best part of the movie! Do I look like a clown?!  :lol

I'm funny how.  Do I amuse you?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2019, 11:05:13 PM »
Now that OUaTiH is out for home consumption I watched it again and thought much more highly of it. In the theater it was a minor letdown simply because it's not what you expect in a Tarantino movie. Knowing what it is without those expectations allowed me to just take it in as intended. I still think toying with peoples expectations was a brilliant thing to do, but it did hamper people's enjoyment a little.

One thing I didn't pick up on in the theater was the suggestion that Cliff might have Robert Wagnerred his wife. And I also forgot how hysterical the ending is. It's really remarkable that something can be so over the top violent and yet so funny at the same time. It's as if Sam Peckinpah directed a Three Stooges short.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2019, 05:57:19 AM »
I've also had a 2nd watching but my thought have stayed the same.

Its fine, but not all that great. It meanders too much and didn't need to be almost 3 hours.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2020, 07:16:27 AM »
Finally got around to seeing this. As a big fan of QT it's probably my least favorite film of his. Wasn't bad, just didn't connect with me. The ending was great, especially with the flamethrower. Great acting and dialogue but I was just bored most of the time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2020, 07:41:41 AM »
Oddly, we watched this last night.   Again, like "You", very divisive.  I loved it, wife and kid didn't.  Then again, I had to explain a lot of the in-jokes and sly references.     

I get the argument about "fiction", and agree, but there is a fine line there.  I've been kicking around the idea lately - after having watched "Hidden Figures" - that it's actually quite dangerous to go back and revisit the past with the lens of the present.  We don't advance our civilization - or at least, our society - by going back and ret-conning the persecuted and down-trodden into social justice warriors.   

Tarantino got most of the facts right, up until the moment Rick meets the car in the cul-de-sac.  Even the spots where Rick/Cliff/et al. get inserted into real-life situations - the "Lancer" episode, "The Great Escape" montage - the underlying facts are pretty close.   I get it, I was the same way - what are we going to see?? - but he got the George Spahn thing right; that's more or less what happened ("Squeaky" Fromme got her nickname because that was supposedly the sound she made when the blind George ran his hand up her leg).   

I think QT is fine here, because he changed such overt, obvious facts, but I don't think all film-makers are so diligent.  That whole arc in "Hidden Figures" about walking to the bathroom... never happened.  Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson) just used the local bathroom from the get-go, and no one complained (well, one person supposedly did, and it was summarily ignored), and there wasn't a need for the ceremonious destruction of the sign by a woke Al Harrison (Kevin Costner).  Who does that serve?   

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2020, 09:08:28 AM »
I actually didn't mind the ending and found it entertaining. My opinion may change on another viewing but I really don't feel a strong desire to watch it again.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
I really don't feel a strong desire to watch it again.

Neither do I

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2020, 09:45:54 AM »
I actually didn't mind the ending and found it entertaining. My opinion may change on another viewing but I really don't feel a strong desire to watch it again.
I saw it in the theater, and then watched it again six months later when it came out on DVD. I thought better of it the second time around. The reality is that it's an exercise in style. If you go into it looking for a story, as anybody would with a Tarantino film, you'll be disappointed. The second time, when I was aware of what I was getting into, I enjoyed it for what it actually is rather than what I was expecting. Maybe wait a year and then watch it again and maybe it'll work better for you.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2020, 01:43:40 AM »
Just watched this. Love QT and this was fine. Great performances from DiCaprio and Pitt as you'd expect.

I liked that QT was so positive about things. I was expecting huge events of darkness to swallow the film at any point, of course, but it was all positive, from the ending to Dalton's acting in the Western, to Pitt's friendship and loyalty.

Left me feeling quite warm and fluffy. But also was not that engaging. Is probably the QT film I'm least likely to watch again.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »
Just watched it last night. It's not my kind of movie but it did have some funny parts, the Bruce Lee showdown made me laugh out loud.
The movie meandered too much with so many random scenes that could have been edited out (the blonde in the movie theater for example).
Brad Pitt and his Pitt Bull were the saving grace in this movie!  I love how his dog becomes heroic in such a twisted way, later in the movie.. :rollin

All in all after the movie was over,  I wished that I had the last 2.5 hours of my life back.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 12:18:37 PM »
I more or less feel like you. I was like, at the end, "so.... what was the point?" well, of course the point of every movie is to entertain, but it just seemed to go nowhere. We followed Leo and Brad doing stuff, having side adventures (well, mostly Brad), and then Sharon Tate doesn't get killed (thankfully). It felt 2 hours and a half of random vignettes from that time period, or a whole TV season crammed into a long movie.

Still, I liked it, and the attack at the end was hilarius (A wounded Brad Pitt says casually "He said he was the devil.... and that he was here to do some devil shit.... not verbatim"  :lol ), but as I said it felt like a random collage of scenes from the time period rather than a proper movie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »
Exactly! I liked Brad Pitt (and his dog) way more than Decaprio in this movie.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »
I watched it in the movie theater and I didn't enjoy anything about this movie, unfortunately. For me it is by far the weakest film Tarantino has ever done.