News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!

Started by goo-goo, May 29, 2018, 09:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

IDontNotDoThings

Quote from: TheLordOfTheStrings on October 12, 2018, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: Another_Won on October 12, 2018, 03:58:47 PM
Quote from: Orbert on October 12, 2018, 02:41:42 PM
Quote from: Max Kuehnau on October 12, 2018, 02:07:23 PM
What do Roadrunner have to do with this?
That's a DTF inside joke of sort.  Quote the post to see what the secret code is.
I forgot about that  :lol What release were we waiting on?
Pretty sure it was DT12

Wasn't it Live At Luna Park?

Max Kuehnau


lucasembarbosa

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on October 12, 2018, 07:43:16 PM
Quote from: TheLordOfTheStrings on October 12, 2018, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: Another_Won on October 12, 2018, 03:58:47 PM
Quote from: Orbert on October 12, 2018, 02:41:42 PM
Quote from: Max Kuehnau on October 12, 2018, 02:07:23 PM
What do Roadrunner have to do with this?
That's a DTF inside joke of sort.  Quote the post to see what the secret code is.
I forgot about that  :lol What release were we waiting on?
Pretty sure it was DT12

Wasn't it Live At Luna Park?

Probably not, it was released via Eagle Rock.

I didn't see many problems in DT's distribution concerning RRR, but unfortunately I saw the mess they are during Opeth's Pale Communion promotion...

YtseJamittaja

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on October 12, 2018, 07:43:16 PM
Quote from: TheLordOfTheStrings on October 12, 2018, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: Another_Won on October 12, 2018, 03:58:47 PM
Quote from: Orbert on October 12, 2018, 02:41:42 PM
Quote from: Max Kuehnau on October 12, 2018, 02:07:23 PM
What do Roadrunner have to do with this?
That's a DTF inside joke of sort.  Quote the post to see what the secret code is.
I forgot about that  :lol What release were we waiting on?
Pretty sure it was DT12

Wasn't it Live At Luna Park?

Yeah, I remember when the press release said soon and after 3 months we still got nothing  :D There was a bit frustration and joking about it here, they just kept saying soon :soon:

RandalGraves

Quote from: MirrorMask on October 11, 2018, 05:38:28 AM
They should write, example, a full 2-minutes song whenever they feel like doing it, not just because the plot of an album demands it.

If they were to take away one aspect from The Astonishing, I would want it to be this.  The story of Astonishing mandated some short pieces, but I think it'd be great if they wrote a few every now and again outside of a concept album.

krands85

I had a dream last night that the album title was revealed to be 'Venom'  :biggrin: There was also a black and yellow/gold theme.  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

gzarruk

Quote from: krands85 on October 14, 2018, 06:11:35 AM
I had a dream last night that the album title was revealed to be 'Venom'  :biggrin: There was also a black and yellow/gold theme.  :coolio

I think your mind just combined Haken's upcoming album with Sony's latest superhero movie and assigned it to DT :lol

fadetoblackdude7

Quote from: krands85 on October 14, 2018, 06:11:35 AM
I had a dream last night that the album title was revealed to be 'Venom'  :biggrin: There was also a black and yellow/gold theme.  :coolio

That's a Bullet For My Valentine album.

Mark Levinson Jr.

Has anyone heard about what options there will be for buying physical media?
I'm wondering what kind of box set, "earbook", or LP packages there will be.

They are on a new label now, so this could be interesting!

Samsara


gzarruk


Samsara



madscot

Quote from: JLa on May 29, 2018, 12:54:56 PM
Heh, for the first time ever (I've been a fan since SFAM) I don't really care. Sure, I'm gonna pick up the new album when it comes out, but I don't have any expectations or whatever. TA made me completely lose interest, and I haven't really been listening that much to the other MM-era ones either.

But come on DT, surprise me. I would be thrilled.  :coolio

Me too, will treat the new album with respect when it comes out but have no expectations for the first time since Images and words.

Pax

the more I'm listening to haken's vector vs visions, the more I pray DOT isn't predominantly heavy over melodic

Peter Mc

I don't see it being super heavy album a la Train Of Thought.  I think when the band is saying this will be heavier, they mean heavier than The Astonishing which wouldn't be too hard.  Will be surprised if it's any heavier than ADTOE for example.  I have no way of knowing this obviously, just a feeling that this will be a standard DT album, heavy, melodic, technical in equal measures.

rab7

Quote from: Peter Mc on November 09, 2018, 06:00:26 AM
I don't see it being super heavy album a la Train Of Thought.  I think when the band is saying this will be heavier, they mean heavier than The Astonishing which wouldn't be too hard.  Will be surprised if it's any heavier than ADTOE for example.  I have no way of knowing this obviously, just a feeling that this will be a standard DT album, heavy, melodic, technical in equal measures.

I'm gonna go further and speculate that it'll be about as heavy as the heaviest parts of ADTOE and DT12



SuperTaco

I think the heavier moments will be a blend of TOT and DT12, and there will be many of them. I'm hoping for some beautiful and fresh sounding clean tones from JP as well.

Anxiety35

Question from a drummer's perspective.

Mangini's bass drum set up has changed. Notice there was only one bass drum in the studio. That's common and drummers use a double pedal a lot for many reasons (not having to tune 2 bass drums, not having to mic 2 bass drums, etc.). However, his bass drum was placed in the center (not offset to the right or left) and it seemed he was using an ergonomic pedal set up. Does Pearl make them, did he use another brand, or did he modify the Pearl pedals?

JustDefyYou

I know Pearl doesn't offer anything like that standard, he must have been using another brand, something like these:

https://reverb.com/item/11184364-offset-double-bass-drum-pedal-ergonomic-symmetrical-centered

Another interesting change is that all his hi hats were raised up super high, like where the crashes are. 

gzarruk

Mike uses a standard Pearl Demon Drive pedal (double or 2 singles). I think he said he plays tilted to the left side.

devieira73

Quote from: JustDefyYou on November 14, 2018, 07:32:21 AM
I know Pearl doesn't offer anything like that standard, he must have been using another brand, something like these:

https://reverb.com/item/11184364-offset-double-bass-drum-pedal-ergonomic-symmetrical-centered

Another interesting change is that all his hi hats were raised up super high, like where the crashes are.

I wonder how Mike will be able to play those fast combinations of right and left hi-hats with the snare, with the hi-hats placed like this :omg:

Anxiety35

Quote from: devieira73 on November 14, 2018, 08:36:08 AM
Quote from: JustDefyYou on November 14, 2018, 07:32:21 AM
I know Pearl doesn't offer anything like that standard, he must have been using another brand, something like these:

https://reverb.com/item/11184364-offset-double-bass-drum-pedal-ergonomic-symmetrical-centered

Another interesting change is that all his hi hats were raised up super high, like where the crashes are.

I wonder how Mike will be able to play those fast combinations of right and left hi-hats with the snare, with the hi-hats placed like this :omg:

I was wondering the same about the hi-hats. Thy seemed too high up for my taste and I think it would kill my shoulders if I were playing those. Sometimes a change in set up can inspire you behind the kit. I'm curious if we will see the same studio set up on tour.

gzarruk

Quote from: Anxiety35 on November 14, 2018, 10:17:35 AM
I was wondering the same about the hi-hats. Thy seemed too high up for my taste and I think it would kill my shoulders if I were playing those. Sometimes a change in set up can inspire you behind the kit. I'm curious if we will see the same studio set up on tour.

He will. He posted this a while back https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/photos/a.114728775242556/1889951844386898/?type=3&theater where he basically says he got a new kit from Pearl but they wrote the album so fast that he couldn't get it in time for the recording. We can't see the kit, but we can see the upper side of the rack and he has the same hi-hat and ride placement as with his studio kit.

Last week, he also posted this: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp0BOSBhmy1/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1zk9cvi5wnlu&fbclid=IwAR1DSonGcX3IdzaUhiNeGkTBqvZuwlagWJnV0bNel3s8oHRauUevw76UTVA
It's his home kit (the one he used on the ADTOE tour) and is set up in the same way, only with two bass drums instead of one.

Anxiety35

Thanks for the links! Man, the cymbals look so high up. For me it would be exhausting to play cymbals that high. Again, to each his own on kit set ups.