Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216130 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Recording Done!
« Reply #1715 on: October 07, 2018, 08:08:48 AM »
I agree that both LTE albums are a little inconsistent but only in terms of it seeming like some tracks are like improv jams and some proper structured songs.  I think, on both albums, the songs that are clearly fully composed tracks are pretty much all uniformly excellent. I mean stuff like Acid Rain, Universal Mind, Paradigm Shift etc. I consider When The Water Breaks to be one of the best instrumental tracks ever made.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1716 on: October 07, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
If I had to rank the LTE albums along with DT albums, both would be in my top 5 along with Awake, Scenes and I&W; that is how much I love both albums.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1717 on: October 07, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »
If I had to rank the LTE albums along with DT albums, both would be in my top 5 along with Awake, Scenes and I&W; that is how much I love both albums.

OK, but what do you know?!?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1718 on: October 07, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »
Could I call Ytsejam a standalone instrumental track?  ;D  Now that I think about it, that one is probably the only one that doesn't have any ties.

Well, if by "ties" you mean not only when the instrumentals have musical references from other songs but also when they flow to or from another song (like Hell's Kitchen, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to exclude it since it doesn't have themes from another songs) then The Ytse Jam would fall into that description too, since it actually "starts" at the end of Status Seeker, or at least that's what I always thought..

But well, yeah, I think this kind of things might be different for everyone..

And yes, I also think LTE's albums would also be among my DT album's top 5...

And yes, it seems that we're not getting any news from the new album... :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1719 on: October 07, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »
Well, the hunt will either end this coming week or the week after that. Anyway, once it ends, we will know the album title I'm sure. That would be some kind of news I think.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1720 on: October 07, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
Well, the hunt will either end this coming week or the week after that. Anyway, once it ends, we will know the album title I'm sure. That would be some kind of news I think.

You bet!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1721 on: October 07, 2018, 03:26:39 PM »

You bet!

Hoping for the album cover as well :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1722 on: October 07, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »

You bet!

Yes that would make sense.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1723 on: October 07, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »

You bet!

Yes that would make sense.

And heck, if it includes the tracklist already, even better!

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1724 on: October 07, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
Is it too early to expect the album art too?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1725 on: October 08, 2018, 03:52:51 AM »
Is it too early to expect the album art too?

You, greedy boy!!! :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1726 on: October 08, 2018, 03:59:56 AM »
Last "regular" time (skipping the way The Astonishing, for its peculiar nature, was promoted), we got the album title first, so I would assume that we'd get that as well. Then cover art and tracklist together maybe.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1727 on: October 08, 2018, 04:22:16 AM »
I think The Astonishing also got its title leaked first. I remember because we had a thread debating if it was really gonna be the album title. :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1728 on: October 08, 2018, 04:28:07 AM »
I think The Astonishing also got its title leaked first. I remember because we had a thread debating if it was really gonna be the album title. :lol

Yeah, the first tour date was announced and it was billed as "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing". And they had to rush a press release to confirm it. This time around hopefully they'l coordinate better with the promoters, and the new tour won't have the name of the album anyway (even though they usually come up with something similar, such as Dramatic Tour or stuff like that).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1729 on: October 08, 2018, 04:37:16 AM »

Yeah, the first tour date was announced and it was billed as "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing". And they had to rush a press release to confirm it. This time around hopefully they'l coordinate better with the promoters, and the new tour won't have the name of the album anyway (even though they usually come up with something similar, such as Dramatic Tour or stuff like that).

I bet if Portnoy had been in the band for DT12, the supporting tour would have been called Dream TheaTour  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1730 on: October 08, 2018, 04:39:11 AM »

I bet if Portnoy had been in the band for DT12, the supporting tour would have been called Dream TheaTour  :lol

:clap:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1731 on: October 08, 2018, 07:18:47 AM »
this is not related to DT14 (or it may be in some way), but here's a relatively new interview with James. He talks about DT's version of Xanadu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnjtnv7Aah8

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1732 on: October 08, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »

:rollin

"Dream Theater presents The Atourishing live"
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #1733 on: October 09, 2018, 08:44:07 AM »
this is not related to DT14 (or it may be in some way), but here's a relatively new interview with James. He talks about DT's version of Xanadu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnjtnv7Aah8

That's a great interview.

Offline dream75

« Reply #1734 on: October 09, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »
Album title within 3 weeks and the new single at the end of November is possible? 🤔

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1735 on: October 09, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »
Album title within 3 weeks and the new single at the end of November is possible? 🤔
Well, depending on how the hunt's end will play out, we may have the album title either this week or next week.

Offline dream75

« Reply #1736 on: October 09, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »
Well, depending on how the hunt's end will play out, we may have the album title either this week or next week.
Wow!!! maybe already this week?!?😲

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1737 on: October 09, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »
Wow!!! maybe already this week?!?😲

In the abstract, virtually anything is possible.  How likely any of this is is nothing but rank speculation.

If you're not familiar, Max made reference to the "treasure hunt" that is the subject of a separate thread.  There is speculation that, at the end of the "treasure hunt" (which may or may not happen by the end of this week), we will learn the name of the new album.  However, none of us here (with the exception of the admin of these boards) knows for sure what the "treasure hunt" will reveal.

If I'm not mistaken, the only things we know with any degree of certainty are the following:

1. No instrumental on the new album.
2. The new album will feature lyrical contributions from every member except JR.
3. The last official announcement was that the album will be released in January or February 2019.

I believe everything else is largely baseless speculation -- which is happening with increasing frequency, which is understandable given the relative dearth of official news over the last month or so.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dream75

« Reply #1738 on: October 09, 2018, 03:27:34 PM »
Thanks pg1067 👍

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1739 on: October 09, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
However, none of us here (with the exception of the admin of these boards) knows for sure what the "treasure hunt" will reveal.

Nope, I don't know either.  I could find out.  But I made the choice at the outset of the treasure hunt not to.  I'm just sitting back and enjoying watching it unfold.

If I'm not mistaken, the only things we know with any degree of certainty are the following:

2. The new album will feature lyrical contributions from every member except JR.
3. The last official announcement was that the album will be released in January or February 2019

Correct.  That much I do know.  (well, I didn't know item #1 until what was posted earlier today, but still)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1740 on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »

Sweet. No band with as many instrumental sections in their other songs music needs a dedicated instrumental track.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1741 on: October 10, 2018, 01:12:09 AM »
Anyway, I love this moment. The calm before the storm. We're here blissfully unaware of most everything about the new album, and anyday now we could get important news. The band / the management must have already decided the schedule for a new single, unveiling the news etc etc and we don't know anything about it, but someone already knows that in just a week (an example of course) they'll drop the news bomb on us.

It's a cool period, to be apparently without news, but with huge news about to come anytime now.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1742 on: October 10, 2018, 03:15:59 AM »
Anyway, I love this moment. The calm before the storm. We're here blissfully unaware of most everything about the new album, and anyday now we could get important news. The band / the management must have already decided the schedule for a new single, unveiling the news etc etc and we don't know anything about it, but someone already knows that in just a week (an example of course) they'll drop the news bomb on us.

It's a cool period, to be apparently without news, but with huge news about to come anytime now.

Yep, the wait is almost as exciting as the news itself.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1743 on: October 10, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »

Sweet. No band with as many instrumental sections in their other songs music needs a dedicated instrumental track.
This.  DT are known for their break sections, so they have plenty of chances to cut loose within the songs.
However, I'm not opposed to them putting a instrumental track if it's really something unique. :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline dream75

« Reply #1744 on: October 10, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
How many songs? 8?

Offline rab7

« Reply #1745 on: October 10, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
Judging by a facebook post from a few months ago, there are at least 8 songs.

It was a picture of the big notepad with "Song 8" written on top.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1746 on: October 10, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »
Yeah there was that, but: that picture you're referencing was taken during the writing phase. We don't know if all the pieces they've written will end up on DT14. There is always a possibility of offcuts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1747 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
Yes, but when they write for a "song # __" it almost always ends up being a song for the upcoming album, even if pieces here and there do not.  If they had "song 8" written on a notepad, it is a safe bet that there are probably at least 8 songs on the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1748 on: October 10, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
I stand corrected. Very sorry.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1749 on: October 10, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
No worries.  That's what I'm here for.