Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216133 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Recording Done!
« Reply #1645 on: October 01, 2018, 07:12:37 AM »
Mike is an absolute gentleman.
I met him once for an interview (and he had already done some interviews), and he was so excited and open to answer everything, with genuine interest in making me understand his point of view.

Once the staff came to give us a notice that we had ran out of time, he politely told them that we were not finished, and continued answering my questions.

Really adorable guy i would say, and i'm really hoping he got that excitement and inspiration out on the new album.

Τo move the topic back on track, i hope that we get a powerful sounding album without having over-compressed sounds all around.

Also, i really hope John keeps his guitar tone as streamlined as possible, i've become a little tired of his use of effects on the recent albums. Putting SDOIT and TOT again for a spin, i enjoy his crunchy guitar so much (and the drum clarity and power). Let's see if they nail the sound after 3 albums.
yes because overcompression is very jarring to listen to IMHO, so that's my hope as well. (although I like JP's use of effects, then again I'm not a guitarist) My other hope is that they will hopefully be as technical and complicated as possible.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1646 on: October 01, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
Yeah, as long as the sound of the album is ok, it doesn't matter if it musically sucks..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1647 on: October 01, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »
Yeah, as long as the sound of the album is ok, it doesn't matter if it musically sucks..
no no, it should be great musically as well and I anticipate it will be. What's with the green font? (is it meant to depict vomiting? I seriously don't know)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: October 01, 2018, 11:16:54 AM »
Green font on DTF means sarcasm.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1649 on: October 01, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
Oh ok.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1650 on: October 01, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »

Yeah! They should focus on the MYOOZIKS! That what really matters. SHould ditch the electric instruments and use just kazoo and bagpipes. Played through a paper bag and recorded on wax disc!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Addy

« Reply #1651 on: October 02, 2018, 12:30:29 AM »
Speaking of the sound, a lot of people rant that it's Chycki's fault that last two albums didn't sound good. But I think it's not. Listen to "Into The Great Divide". Mangini's drums sound phenomenal! And guess what? It was produced by Rich. I'm afraid someone else is pulling the strings on the drum sound...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1652 on: October 02, 2018, 03:25:26 AM »
Speaking of the sound, a lot of people rant that it's Chycki's fault that last two albums didn't sound good. But I think it's not. Listen to "Into The Great Divide". Mangini's drums sound phenomenal! And guess what? It was produced by Rich. I'm afraid someone else is pulling the strings on the drum sound...
In case it's Petruccinator (which is the case I'm sure), he seems to be a bit more in the background for DT14 (meaning: having JM, James and Mike write things and all that) and they want to go for a more natural sounding record now, so I'm excited.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1653 on: October 02, 2018, 03:44:26 AM »
Random thoughts about the new album... DT had an instrumental coda on the self titled, and Beneath the Surface as an acoustic song to round off Dramatic. They never did however a mix of those two, a short sung song, along the lines of The Silent Man let's say, to round off the album in an even more minimalistic way than Beneath the Surface. It would be cool to have that.

Also, they are known for the bigass epic that closes the album, but they never really had a centerpiece, a monster song in the middle of the album. Sure, there is Lines in the Sand on FII and Voices on Awake, but they're basically one out of two epics, with the other at the end (almost, in case of Awake). They never really had the clear show stealer of the album in the middle, it could be interesting to have the longest and most acclaimed song of the record being, say, the 5th song out of 10 and outlasting by 4-5 minutes all the others.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1654 on: October 02, 2018, 03:57:44 AM »
Really interesting thoughts. We will see how it plays out but you're right, that would definitely be uncharted territory for them.
Or to have the long epic piece at the very beginning, track one. That would be new I would think, (ITPOE is split so I'm excluding that) since they wanted to do that on Systematic Chaos but ended up not doing that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:08:02 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1655 on: October 02, 2018, 07:13:29 AM »
Random thoughts about the new album... DT had an instrumental coda on the self titled, and Beneath the Surface as an acoustic song to round off Dramatic. They never did however a mix of those two, a short sung song, along the lines of The Silent Man let's say, to round off the album in an even more minimalistic way than Beneath the Surface. It would be cool to have that.
You mean, like "Her Majesty" on Abbey Road?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1656 on: October 02, 2018, 08:01:55 AM »

Also, they are known for the bigass epic that closes the album, but they never really had a centerpiece, a monster song in the middle of the album. Sure, there is Lines in the Sand on FII and Voices on Awake, but they're basically one out of two epics, with the other at the end (almost, in case of Awake). They never really had the clear show stealer of the album in the middle, it could be interesting to have the longest and most acclaimed song of the record being, say, the 5th song out of 10 and outlasting by 4-5 minutes all the others.

I fully agree and I’d totally dig that!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1657 on: October 02, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
You mean, like "Her Majesty" on Abbey Road?

Well, strictly speaking, Her Majesty should've been sequenced between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam - and if you do rearrange the tracks you'll see it fit right in (just remove the silence.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1658 on: October 02, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
True.  That sudden chord at the beginning of Her Majesty is the last chord from Mean Mr. Mustard.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1659 on: October 02, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
They never really had the clear show stealer of the album in the middle, it could be interesting to have the longest and most acclaimed song of the record being, say, the 5th song out of 10 and outlasting by 4-5 minutes all the others.

Like Haken's The Architect.. Yeah, that'd be cool... Also, maybe a 15, 17, 18, 20 or 21 minutes piece, which they haven't done yet..

My demands are very specific..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1660 on: October 02, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
They never really had the clear show stealer of the album in the middle, it could be interesting to have the longest and most acclaimed song of the record being, say, the 5th song out of 10 and outlasting by 4-5 minutes all the others.

Images and Words would like a word with you.  While LTL is longer, "Metropolis Part 1" has always been more of a centerpiece song.

Also, "Home" is pretty well smack in the middle of SFAM.

And then there are the folks who don't agree that the "last two albums didn't sound good."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1661 on: October 02, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
And then there are the folks who don't agree that the "last two albums didn't sound good."

Yeah, that's a great point, actually.  The sound on DT12 was a bit odd in a few places, but wasn't bad by any stretch.  And the other two sounded great.  The only beef I can see is that the drums were a bit low in the mix and not as "punchy," especially compared with how Portnoy's drums were typically done.  This resulted in, among other things, a lot of Mangini's cymbal work being buried or lost.  But otherwise, I have no problem with the sound on any of the Mangini-era albums whatsoever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1662 on: October 02, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »

Yeah, that's a great point, actually.  The sound on DT12 was a bit odd in a few places, but wasn't bad by any stretch.  And the other two sounded great.  The only beef I can see is that the drums were a bit low in the mix and not as "punchy," especially compared with how Portnoy's drums were typically done.  This resulted in, among other things, a lot of Mangini's cymbal work being buried or lost.  But otherwise, I have no problem with the sound on any of the Mangini-era albums whatsoever.
me neither, although in hindsight I'd better bought the Hi-Res versions of Dramatic Turn and DT12, I always bought the CD versions (I might at some point though)

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1663 on: October 02, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
Well, strictly speaking, Her Majesty should've been sequenced between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam - and if you do rearrange the tracks you'll see it fit right in (just remove the silence.
Yeah, I've read about that. On the plus side, they invented (or at least made popular) the bonus track!

God, I love "Mean Mr. Mustard"!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1664 on: October 02, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
happy accident even that - they didn't mean to. it was the studio tech that forgot to remove the tape with the cut song, and it was there on the master ready for cutting that the band approved.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1665 on: October 02, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
There are couple of versions of the story, which don't necessarily contradict each other.

What I read was that the tech had standing orders from Paul to never throw anything away.  But at some point, they decided to cut "Your Majesty" and go right from "Mean Mr. Mustard" into "Polythene Pam".  So the tech cut it out, but saved the chunk of master tape, per Paul's orders.  He was going to ask later what he should do with it, but never got a chance before The Beatles decided the album was done and they all left.  So he stuck it onto the end of the tape. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1666 on: October 02, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »
Images and Words would like a word with you.  While LTL is longer, "Metropolis Part 1" has always been more of a centerpiece song.
Personally, I've never really felt that Metropolis was a centerpiece song, but maybe because I don't like it as much as most other fans.

But what is interesting to note, is that it was never intended to be in the middle of the album in the first place - it was supposed to open the album, and PMU was supposed to be in between Surrounded and UaGM. It was only due to label pressure that it ended up being moved to the spot it's in.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: October 02, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
That's new info for me! So tracklist should have been:

Metropolis
Another Day
Take the Time
Surrounded
PMU
UAGM
WFS
LTL

:o
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1668 on: October 02, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »
Exactly like that. I wanted to write it but Scotty saved me the trouble :D (I learned it from him anyway when he posted it a while back)

If you think about it, it actually made sense for them to have the show opener as the disc opener.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1669 on: October 02, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »
But what is interesting to note, is that it was never intended to be in the middle of the album in the first place - it was supposed to open the album, and PMU was supposed to be in between Surrounded and UaGM. It was only due to label pressure that it ended up being moved to the spot it's in.

Just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about that album!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1670 on: October 02, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
Just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about that album!
Did you know that the other thing the label also wanted DT to do was to give the album a self-titled name (in other words, album #2 would be known as "Dream Theater")? So with both of those changes that the label wanted and the band did not, a deal was struck: they'd swap Metropolis and PMU in the tracklisting, but leave the album with the name the band wanted: Images and Words.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1671 on: October 03, 2018, 01:07:13 AM »
Didn't know that either! they made the right choice out of the two.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1672 on: October 03, 2018, 01:19:16 AM »

Rich Chycki has already done four works that had very good-sounding Mangini drums. James Labrie's Elements of Persuasion, Dream Theater's Breaking The Fourth Wall and the unreleased Back To Budokan live vid, and Into The Great Divide.

Offline Addy

« Reply #1673 on: October 03, 2018, 02:02:50 AM »

Rich Chycki has already done four works that had very good-sounding Mangini drums. James Labrie's Elements of Persuasion, Dream Theater's Breaking The Fourth Wall and the unreleased Back To Budokan live vid, and Into The Great Divide.

Agreed, to some extent at least. I'm not the biggest fan of BTFW overall sound, but i.e. Back to Budokan sounds great (well, apart from some horrible vocal tuning). Isn't it strange that when Chycki does some DT work with less input from JP (Budokan 2017), the release somehow sounds better? I love him and I'm being sarcastic, but my point is JP should pass some of the producing work and mix decisions to somebody else if it was indeed his job. That said, I hope for a great sound now that they have James Meslin onboard. His work sounds really good!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1674 on: October 03, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »
Personally, I've never really felt that Metropolis was a centerpiece song, but maybe because I don't like it as much as most other fans.

Wow; I just realised what an amazing opening track Metropolis would have been!!!  :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1675 on: October 03, 2018, 03:55:03 AM »
Back to Budokan sounds great (well, apart from some horrible vocal tuning)

People keep saying that - but there exists a audience sourced IEM matrix bootleg you can compare with, and if you overlay it, it's actually 95% identical. There are some sections where they've replaced what James sings with a better vocal take from another show (the benefit of recording every show with protools), and a few pitch corrections here and there, but for the most part its actually not corrected.

But there's a production mishap with recording that caused the vocals to have a phasing effect. People think "oh, there's something strange with James voice, it must be auto-tune", but it's actually a recording effect. It doesnt change the pitch at all - it adds a chorus-y, flanger-y effect on the vocal due to the way the vocals were recorded.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1676 on: October 03, 2018, 05:02:55 AM »
Thanks for confirming. I was about to ask someone who knows. (like you)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:08:57 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1677 on: October 03, 2018, 05:13:58 AM »
Thanks for confirming. I was about to ask someone who knows. (like you)

Totally left field but now I imagined Adele providing the refrain for people needing proper information:

"Nevermind I'll ask someone who knows...."  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1678 on: October 03, 2018, 05:15:00 AM »
Oh dear me :D

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1679 on: October 03, 2018, 06:31:56 AM »

I knew about the label propositions about Met being frist track and to self-titled the album (probably read it in Lifting Shadows), but never before heard the name "Back to Budokan" :huh:... Now that I checked, the name was actually known late last year.. IIRC no one in the thread about that dvd ever mentioned it.. Weird..