Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216056 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Recording Done!
« Reply #1610 on: September 27, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
I think that the "even if you don't like it or like it" sounds more assertive than frustrated.

It's the part before that that caught my attention: "My solo work will be heard later in 2019 as it is vital to my being a more complete contributor to my DT Teammates"

His solo work is vital to him being a more complete contributor.  We will therefore hear it sometime next year.  What does that even mean?

The cynic in me reads it as "My solo work shows more of what I really am about, not just what I can contribute to Dream Theater" or something like that.  I know, he's practically saying the exact opposite.  But playing in a band is generally a compromise.  No one gets to do everything they want to, musically, unless their musical goals happen to align exactly with what the band is doing, which certainly happens sometimes.  But musicians who feel the need to explore more musical things end up doing solo albums so they can do exactly that.  MM feels that his solo work is vital... (okay so far) ... to being a more complete contributor to DT (what?)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: September 27, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
Yeah, I was scratching my head about that too. MM's comments are often confusing to me though, so it just seems more of the same. I'll go with bosk1 on this one and guess that "So happy about it" means exactly that.

Come to think of it, my posting history is just as confusing, so it's probably wise for me to not throw stones.  :)
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1612 on: September 27, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
Taken from Magini’s recent Facebook post:

“DT album is musically what people want and I (we) wanted. So Happy about it. My solo work will be heard later in 2019 as it is vital to my being a more complete contributor to my DT Teammates even if you don't like it, or like it.”

Am I the only one who perceive a bit of frustration in these lines?

I assume you're talking about the last sentence:  "My solo work . . . is vital to my being a more complete contributor to my DT Teammates even if you don't like it, or like it."  It seems to me that he probably recognizes that a good chunk of his followers follow him because he's in DT and may not care for whatever his solo material sounds like.  All he's saying is that having another outlet for his musical creativity that doesn't necessarily appeal to DT fans is important to his work in DT, which makes perfect sense.  Keep in mind as well that the part you excerpted comes at the end of a VERY long post about a number of subjects that is a bit all over the place.  I wouldn't read anything into it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1613 on: September 27, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »
That makes sense.  I haven't read the whole post, and likely never will, so having some context is helpful.

Also, I thought more about the quote itself, and I think I made a little more sense out of it, at least in my mind.  I think he's saying that he's not "just" the drummer from Dream Theater, but a drummer with many different styles and influences, and by allowing himself to indulge in these other musical styles and influences keeps those other parts of him fresh, and some of that will show in his work with Dream Theater.  He can be a more complete contributor because he has more to contribute.  But it is only in his solo work that he can really explore and develop that, and not everybody will necessarily like all of it.  Something like that.  So yeah, a lot like what pg1067 is saying.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1614 on: September 27, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »
Mike Mangini just posted on Facebook about a new drum kit he designed with Pearl and that was supposed to be used for the recording of DT14... but they wrote the album so fast that he couldn't use it :lol :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1615 on: September 27, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
I think he's saying that he's not "just" the drummer from Dream Theater, but a drummer with many different styles and influences, and by allowing himself to indulge in these other musical styles and influences keeps those other parts of him fresh, and some of that will show in his work with Dream Theater.  He can be a more complete contributor because he has more to contribute.  But it is only in his solo work that he can really explore and develop that, and not everybody will necessarily like all of it.  Something like that.  So yeah, a lot like what pg1067 is saying.

Now we're talking.. Yeah, this..

Am I the only one who perceive a bit of frustration in these lines?

It kinda sounds to me more like he's getting ahead of himself by prematurely thinking that the album will be polarizing.. That's fine for me, he's just expressing his opinion, and he's being very honest about it.. But frustration? Nah.. No musician would express frustration even if they think they have just done the worst album mankind has ever created..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1616 on: September 27, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »
It's the part before that that caught my attention: "My solo work will be heard later in 2019 as it is vital to my being a more complete contributor to my DT Teammates"

His solo work is vital to him being a more complete contributor.  We will therefore hear it sometime next year.  What does that even mean?

The cynic in me reads it as "My solo work shows more of what I really am about, not just what I can contribute to Dream Theater" or something like that.  I know, he's practically saying the exact opposite.  But playing in a band is generally a compromise.  No one gets to do everything they want to, musically, unless their musical goals happen to align exactly with what the band is doing, which certainly happens sometimes.  But musicians who feel the need to explore more musical things end up doing solo albums so they can do exactly that.  MM feels that his solo work is vital... (okay so far) ... to being a more complete contributor to DT (what?)

Based on several of his previous interviews, I think he is saying that he will do his solo work as this will help him bring more to the table, to be a more complete contributor, for the albums yet to come. He's said before that he is not as confident as the other guys in writing stuff, like in DT12 when he said that when they need a riff even before he can think of an idea to suggest, Jordan and the other guys would already come up with something in their iPad. I remember that he had a post (or an interview?) before saying that maybe he should have learned the other aspects of musical craftsmanship before (as opposed to just being focused on his drumming) as he is just learning a lot of these other aspects now. In his solo album, he would play everything. All the instruments. So "even if you don't like it, or like it", his solo work would help him contribute to DT's music.

That's my take.

This is the important part of his post for me. " DT album is musically what people want and I (we) wanted. So Happy about it."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:18:30 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1617 on: September 28, 2018, 01:57:35 AM »
This is the important part of his post for me. " DT album is musically what people want and I (we) wanted. So Happy about it."

Ditto. That means: oversimplifying, "back to the roots", and more attention on the production AND the drum sound. We're in for a treat!!! :metal

Now, see it this way: Falling Into Infinity and the issues with the external influences drove them to swear off producers and taking matters into their own hands, resulting in SFAM, with a burning desire to prove themselves again. I absolutely love The Astonishing and I'm glad they did it, but those of you who don't, see it as a "necessary evil" - the fact that it was all in the hands of Petrucci and Rudess gave the other guys (and sure JP and JR themselves, they're not dictators) the strong will to have their say next time, resulting in a team work where everyone contributed, and was eager to do so!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1618 on: September 28, 2018, 02:04:04 AM »
That makes sense.  I haven't read the whole post, and likely never will, so having some context is helpful.

Yeah apologies for not posting the full thing, it was a big post and that was right at the end! I actually never looked into him being potentially frustrated, I just know that him saying that the new album is what fans and the band wanted made me even more excited for it even though it’s what I anticipated!  I’m expecting it to be in the vein of ADTOE... maybe with a 20+ minute closer this time around

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1619 on: September 28, 2018, 03:41:04 AM »
Ditto. That means: oversimplifying, "back to the roots", and more attention on the production AND the drum sound. We're in for a treat!!! :metal

WDADU is their root too. So be careful.  I'm ok with that though.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1620 on: September 28, 2018, 05:15:02 AM »
Well, realistically, I expect something along the lines of Dramatic, only heavier and with little new things here and there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1621 on: September 28, 2018, 05:27:44 AM »
Well, realistically, I expect something along the lines of Dramatic, only heavier and with little new things here and there.

I would be perfectly fine with an album like this, tbh. Dramatic is still my favorite Mangini era album.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1622 on: September 28, 2018, 06:48:53 AM »
The way I read that last line is not so much frustration as regret that he is not able to be more involved. 

I do not know Mangini's history in detail but the impression I get is that he's always been a hired gun, not one of the creative members of the band, just the drummer.  He's now fully in a band and wants to be able to be a major creative force but does not have the experience and (maybe) confidence to really do that especially when sat next to JP and JR who are super creative.  Doing a solo album that is his baby will give him that experience of overseeing a whole project that is his own creative vision, maybe with collaborations with others but still his thing.  After doing that and gaining that experience he may then be more confident of having a greater creative contribution to DT.

To summarise, I don't think there is a frustration that the other members are shutting him out, more a regret that he himself doesn't have more to offer them and he wants to fix that.  It does sound like he has had more input on this album but he wants even more!  It can only be good for Dream Theater that this guy is so desperate to expand his horizons and could add a new dimension to the band.

As for his comments about the record, of course he's going to say he's happy with it but it does seem from all reports that they have done what most of us thought they would following The Astonishing and that is return to a more "classic" DT album.  It makes sense following such a big departure last time around.  As always, it will be my most anticipated album of the year!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1623 on: September 28, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »

Well that would be lovely.

And yeah guys - the MM Facebook post - I wouldn't read too much into it, MM has always had an...interesting way with words. Take it at face value, he's happy with the work they did.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1624 on: September 28, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
and I think that's saying something
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1625 on: September 28, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
That's all true, but remember, everyone always says that they're happy with the new album, it's great, people will love it, etc.  When's the last time someone said "We're not really happy with it, it doesn't really stand up next to our earlier stuff, but we hope some people like it anyway"?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1626 on: September 28, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
That's all true, but remember, everyone always says that they're happy with the new album, it's great, people will love it, etc.  When's the last time someone said "We're not really happy with it, it doesn't really stand up next to our earlier stuff, but we hope some people like it anyway"?

If we're lucky, they will eventually be honest way after the fact. I know Corey Taylor, who is one of the most annoying people with over hyping everything as THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MINDS! has recently admitted that the 2nd or 3rd Stone Sour was a hiccup in their career and did not go at all according to plan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1627 on: September 28, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »
The way I read the MM post, is the input he had with this new album gave him the confidence to complete a solo album. Since he has lyrics, I'm sure he had more musical input as well.

I'm getting more and more excited the closer we get. Maybe a song this coming month or next.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1628 on: September 28, 2018, 01:57:39 PM »
Interesting theories on what the above statement means. But I wonder if he could mean something as simple as: my solo album will come out later in 2019, because I wanted to make sure that I gave the new DT album my complete and undivided attention, and I wanted contribute more to it, not being distracted with what is going on with my solo album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1629 on: September 28, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
Interesting theories on what the above statement means. But I wonder if he could mean something as simple as: my solo album will come out later in 2019, because I wanted to make sure that I gave the new DT album my complete and undivided attention, and I wanted contribute more to it, not being distracted with what is going on with my solo album.

Just like you Scotty, that's what I supposed.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1630 on: September 28, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »
Considering that we have not had anything from JP yet since the last studio update, I'm gonna guess the next update will come when the Treasure Hunt ends.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #1631 on: September 28, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
Considering that we have not had anything from JP yet since the last studio update, I'm gonna guess the next update will come when the Treasure Hunt ends.
Hope not! It's not likely that he 'Treasure Hunt' will end in the next 3 weeks - we have 4 more puzzles to solve.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1632 on: September 28, 2018, 03:24:20 PM »
Hope not! It's not likely that he 'Treasure Hunt' will end in the next 3 weeks - we have 4 more puzzles to solve.

Oh, ok. I thought it ended mid October or so.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1633 on: September 28, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
The way I read that last line is not so much frustration as regret that he is not able to be more involved. 

I do not know Mangini's history in detail but the impression I get is that he's always been a hired gun, not one of the creative members of the band, just the drummer.  He's now fully in a band and wants to be able to be a major creative force but does not have the experience and (maybe) confidence to really do that especially when sat next to JP and JR who are super creative.  Doing a solo album that is his baby will give him that experience of overseeing a whole project that is his own creative vision, maybe with collaborations with others but still his thing.  After doing that and gaining that experience he may then be more confident of having a greater creative contribution to DT.

To summarise, I don't think there is a frustration that the other members are shutting him out, more a regret that he himself doesn't have more to offer them and he wants to fix that.  It does sound like he has had more input on this album but he wants even more!  It can only be good for Dream Theater that this guy is so desperate to expand his horizons and could add a new dimension to the band.

As for his comments about the record, of course he's going to say he's happy with it but it does seem from all reports that they have done what most of us thought they would following The Astonishing and that is return to a more "classic" DT album.  It makes sense following such a big departure last time around.  As always, it will be my most anticipated album of the year!

There's nothing at all indicating that Mangini is a hired gun.  More glass-half-empty stuff here.  He was chosen over others for a variety of reasons not the least of which was his personality and how seamless his integration was.  Minneman and Wildoer would also not have been hired guns but I feel the others would have been.

How many times have the guys said that they weren't looking for just a hired gun?  So why do people always look to dispute that?

Agree.

Some people are reading WAY too much into snippets and bites and it's mostly glass-half-empty stuff and I find that sad.  He could come out and say "feeling happy" and people would be like "oh, he's happy he's getting to do something this time and not be miserable".  NOTHING in his attitude or live shows have shown anything but joy and enthusiasm and concentration so I have no idea where people are getting this negative attitude from.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1634 on: September 28, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »
I think you misunderstood my post, I was saying that, prior to joining Dream Theater, he was historically a hired gun in other bands. In Dream Theater, he is not, he is part of the band and wants to contribute in a way that he has likely not done in most of his previous jobs.

Scotty’s take could make sense though. He wanted to fully commit to this record so he put his solo album on hold. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1635 on: September 28, 2018, 08:02:47 PM »
I *did* misunderstand your post, sorry, and yes he has been a hired gun in the past which I think makes him even happier that he finally has a home and I just wish people would stop trying to rain on his parade.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1636 on: September 28, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
All I'm gonna say now is that MM seems like a humble awesome guy, so if he's happy, I am happy.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1637 on: September 28, 2018, 10:13:16 PM »
All I'm gonna say now is that MM seems like a humble awesome guy, so if he's happy, I am happy.

:iagree:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1638 on: September 29, 2018, 02:40:41 AM »

I do too!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1639 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:38 PM »

Totally... which makes me scratch my head even more seeing people trying to pick apart little bites and somehow thinking that he's unhappy or under-utilized or whatever.

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1640 on: September 29, 2018, 11:56:08 PM »

I do too!

I've met him twice.  Can confirm. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1641 on: September 30, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »

I do too!

I'd seriously love to meet him just to thank him for the inspiration.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1642 on: September 30, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »

I do too!

This :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1643 on: September 30, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »

I do too!

This :hefdaddy

I'm sure he'd love that because he's such a cool guy but you really leave an impression, talk sports with him.  The second time I met him was at a clinic so it was pretty informal.  Small line of people that stuck around to chat and get things signed.  Wasn't even a table set up.  The guy in front of us was talking all about Patriots football and Bruins and all that stuff and Mike was loving it. 

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1644 on: October 01, 2018, 12:40:11 AM »
Mike is an absolute gentleman.
I met him once for an interview (and he had already done some interviews), and he was so excited and open to answer everything, with genuine interest in making me understand his point of view.

Once the staff came to give us a notice that we had ran out of time, he politely told them that we were not finished, and continued answering my questions.

Really adorable guy i would say, and i'm really hoping he got that excitement and inspiration out on the new album.

Τo move the topic back on track, i hope that we get a powerful sounding album without having over-compressed sounds all around.

Also, i really hope John keeps his guitar tone as streamlined as possible, i've become a little tired of his use of effects on the recent albums. Putting SDOIT and TOT again for a spin, i enjoy his crunchy guitar so much (and the drum clarity and power). Let's see if they nail the sound after 3 albums.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:32:04 AM by nikatapi »