Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216066 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Recording Done!
« Reply #1575 on: September 24, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
I think it will be an indication or a strong possibility or whatever you'll call it. Apart from that, I was very pleased with how it sounds as well. (musically speaking it's great as well IMHO but you weren't referring to that now)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1576 on: September 24, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
The mixes for "It Came From Space" are very, very good. It sounds modern and fresh, hope he gets the same inspiration while mixing DT!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1577 on: September 24, 2018, 04:22:47 PM »
The mixes for "It Came From Space" are very, very good. It sounds modern and fresh, hope he gets the same inspiration while mixing DT!

Will have to check that album out :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #1578 on: September 24, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »

Will have to check that album out :tup

Just found out these guys on Spotify, they have two amazing EPs  and the absurdly low 52 followers for the quality they present. I guess Meslin just mixed the latest work.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1579 on: September 24, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
Mixing should probably be starting up this week or next, yes?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1580 on: September 24, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
I sure hope so! I wonder if this will come out in time for my birthday (last day of January) like The Astonishing did...  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1581 on: September 24, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
I sure hope so! I wonder if this will come out in time for my birthday (last day of January) like The Astonishing did...  :metal

Very high chance. Although I’m thinking it’ll be February.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1582 on: September 25, 2018, 01:37:58 AM »
The other night in Beverly Hills Jordan had an impromptu meet and greet after his set (opening for Al Di Meola).  I asked him if the name of the new album was Hidden By Design, which he thought was a very cool name for an album, but he confirmed that it is not the name of the forthcoming album.  Too bad, because it is such a perfect fit for a Dream Theater title.

I'm sure this comes as no surprise to the treasure hunters that figured out that the letters revealed so far couldn't possibly be an anagram for Hidden By Design.  Of course, it's possible that the letters are NOT an anagram, but could be another password or master cipher that finally reveals the true album title - but for now I can tell you what the title isn't.  I know nothing else, and pressed no further.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1583 on: September 25, 2018, 01:40:44 AM »
I'm sure the album is NOT called like that, hence why he had no problem answering, but.... what if it was? could he tell a random fan that the album was called like that? wouldn't playing coy, saying something like "uuuh I can't really tell anything, not even to deny rumours" be suspicious?

Again, I absolutely believe the album is not called like that and that he gave you a straight answer. But if the album was actually called like that, lying was better than saying "ehmmmm can't really say" while blushing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1584 on: September 25, 2018, 01:57:40 AM »
Xanadu https://www.jamesmeslinaudio.com/

I'm far from understanding how mixing works, but if this is any indication of how DT14 may sound like, then I'm in for a treat!

I don't think DT14 would sound like this because this was not even recorded in a proper recording studio. :)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: September 25, 2018, 02:21:53 AM »

If you are talking about We Came From Space - While You Were Away then it's my favorite album so far this year....

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1586 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:41 AM »

I'm far from understanding how mixing works, but if this is any indication of how DT14 may sound like, then I'm in for a treat!

I don't think DT14 would sound like this because this was not even recorded in a proper recording studio. :)

And it was only engineered and produced by Meslin, but mixed by Chycki. However, I think Jimmy T will come up with the best sounding MM era album so far :metal

Btw, if he also lists “production” for the Xanadu cover, would it be too crazy to think he might have co-produced this album too?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1587 on: September 25, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »

And it was only engineered and produced by Meslin, but mixed by Chycki. However, I think Jimmy T will come up with the best sounding MM era album so far :metal

Btw, if he also lists “production” for the Xanadu cover, would it be too crazy to think he might have co-produced this album too?

Yes :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1588 on: September 25, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »

Yes :lol

Seeing how we don't even know if he's mixing it yet, jumping to co-producer would be a huge leap  :lol

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1589 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
Maybe fellow member noxon can ask on behalf of all of us.
His birds are well connected.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1590 on: September 25, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoHsp5MhD-z/?taken-by=james_meslin

Seems that Mr. Meslin is indeed mixing the new album.
I'm so glad it's not Rich Chycki.

:metal

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1591 on: September 25, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »

That doesn't mean he's mixing the album... He might be, or he's just finishing up typical engineering work - comping, cleaning up tracks, doing some editing, etc...

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #1592 on: September 25, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »

That doesn't mean he's mixing the album... He might be, or he's just finishing up typical engineering work - comping, cleaning up tracks, doing some editing, etc...

Wouldn't mind (I'm actually looking forward to) either way.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1593 on: September 25, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
That "get a job comment" on the insta post cracks me up  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1594 on: September 25, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »

Wouldn't mind (I'm actually looking forward to) either way.

That's the same link I posted yesterday. By the look of it, I think it's very very possible that he's in fact mixing the album there. Hope we get a confirmation soon, I REALLY can't wait any longer to get more info/insight about this album.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1595 on: September 25, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »
Maybe fellow member noxon can ask on behalf of all of us.
His birds are well connected.

Patience is the key. These kinds of details will be revealed when it is time to reveal them.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1596 on: September 25, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
So you are saying: SOON!
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1597 on: September 25, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »
:soon:

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #1598 on: September 26, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1599 on: September 26, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
We don't have an RMP-D8, but our studio has a 5088 console, sounds like a dream. I've been lucky to have been using it for the past 8 years. Rupert Neve products sound great. I'm a huge fan.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1600 on: September 27, 2018, 07:07:12 AM »
Interesting info for the studio gear sluts: https://rupertneve.com/news/dream-theater-records-rupert-neve-designs-rmp-d8/#

Very cool article. Good stuff at the end when James was talking about the drum kit micing.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1601 on: September 27, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »
Too bad they couldn't get their hands on a Custom Series 75 powered by Neve.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1602 on: September 27, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
The article says they were ready to record the album one month ahead of schedule. Hope this means we get the album in January and not February. Fingers crossed!

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1603 on: September 27, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
Taken from Mangini’s recent Facebook post:

“DT album is musically what people want and I (we) wanted. So Happy about it. My solo work will be heard later in 2019 as it is vital to my being a more complete contributor to my DT Teammates even if you don't like it, or like it.”
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:42:20 PM by AboutToCrash »

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: September 27, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »
Taken from Magini’s recent Facebook post:

“DT album is musically what people want and I (we) wanted. So Happy about it. My solo work will be heard later in 2019 as it is vital to my being a more complete contributor to my DT Teammates even if you don't like it, or like it.”

Am I the only one who perceive a bit of frustration in these lines?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1605 on: September 27, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »
The phrase "So Happy about it" clearly indicates a high level of frustration.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1606 on: September 27, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure Mike would have said so if he really didn't like it. (why would he lie to us?) I'm relieved that they're happy about what they've done. Consequently, we will be (or most of us anyway).
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1607 on: September 27, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
Taken from Magini’s recent Facebook post:

Am I the only one who perceive a bit of frustration in these lines?

If this was the last album maybe but we know he at least contributed lyrics and took part in the writing (how much of his ideas were used would be interesting to find out).

Without knowing that or if he had a lot if ideas that weren't used, it's impossibleto say. He was clearly much more involved than ever before which is a big step in the right direction. Looking forward to his solo album too.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1608 on: September 27, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
I actually feel he is really excited about it!! Because all he was asking for, in interviews and stuff, was that he wanted to be part of the whole creative process and contribute more, and that's exactly what happened. And that final part where he says "you don't like it, or you do", I believe he's referring to that portion of the fans who might be sceptical about his contributions, and whether they like the album or not, it is what it is, and he's part of the whole thing now, these fans will just have to deal with it!! And I like the way he related his participation on DT14 with his solo album, I think his time working on solo material inspired him to be even more effective on DT music.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1609 on: September 27, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
I think that the "even if you don't like it or like it" sounds more assertive than frustrated. I'm not a psychologist though. :p
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:24:13 PM by RMGadelha »