Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216276 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #980 on: August 23, 2018, 04:48:36 PM »
I'll be interested in hearing MM's lyrics, since I have never heard any from him before.  I generally like JM's style, even if I don't care for some of the lyrics themselves.  Cool that they are spreading it around so much this time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #981 on: August 23, 2018, 04:52:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm usually not someone who cares too much about the deep meaning or the right meaning of the lyrics, but I do like how his lyrics sound, especially in Breaking All Illusions, which is my favorite MM era song.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 04:58:08 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #982 on: August 23, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
Wow, more than one from both JLB and JM on the same album....that's a record if I'm not mistaken....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #983 on: August 23, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
that's a record if I'm not mistaken....

Nope.  As far as I know, it'll only be CD or digital.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #984 on: August 23, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
Geez... They posted a video update as well. Lyrics are mostly done. With contributions of JP, 2 of JM, more than one from JLB and one from MM. AWESOME

I heard the first single is called My Body Is Not Well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #985 on: August 23, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »
All right, I feel like DT has definitely been listening.  I've wanted more than one from James for a long damn time.  One doesn't cut it especially when he only gets the ballad which seems to happen too often.  I was happy with the requisite one from JM but I am more than happy with two. 

And MM?!  I love it.  I bet MM is right where he has been clamoring to be in regards to his position in the band. Taking part in the writing INCLUDING lyrics. 

And hey, let's not forget JP almost always has badass lyrics sooooooo.....

HURRY UP AND RELEASE THE DAMN ALBUM....please.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #986 on: August 23, 2018, 05:43:20 PM »
So drums, bass and guitars (almost) are done, James is currently recording, and I assume Jordan will start inmediately after. And we’re going to get lyrics by everyone except Jordan, this is definitely going to be a special album  :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #987 on: August 23, 2018, 06:14:34 PM »
MM is very articulate like everyone in DT so I’m confident his will be good. Very happy he’s getting a chance to contribute, such a cool and just awesome, nice guy.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #988 on: August 23, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
So drums, bass and guitars (almost) are done, James is currently recording, and I assume Jordan will start inmediately after. And we’re going to get lyrics by everyone except Jordan, this is definitely going to be a special album  :hefdaddy

It's a moment in DT history!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline PetFish

« Reply #989 on: August 23, 2018, 06:39:23 PM »
Since they never/almost never play anything that James has written lyrics for can we chalk those two tracks up as write-offs now and get it over with?

I'm kidding, sort of, I hope they play the new tracks and even try and re-visit the old ones but there's no denying his lyrical contributions are mostly abandoned:

Take The Time (Not sure about this one, I thought everyone except James did a verse)
Caught In A Web (co-JP)
Anna Lee*
One Last Time
Blind Faith*
Disappear
Vacant
Sacrificed Sons
Awakening (Octavarium, but makes no sense to play just this part)
Prophets of War*
Far From Heaven

* These are the ones I'd love to see/hear live.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #990 on: August 23, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »
Hell yes! Lyrics from JM, JLB and especially MM, this is gonna be' a great record, can't wait for it.  :metal

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #991 on: August 24, 2018, 12:25:59 AM »
Hyyyyype! :caffeine:

I can't believe how excited I got when I saw this update. Butterflies in the stomach. Which is a fantastic feeling and a great sign that DT are still immensely important to me.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #992 on: August 24, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »

A special album indeed! I'm glad JP has stepped back a bit, and allowed the other guys to contribute much more this time around. The sense of teamwork is very much apparent from these updates.

Now, I just want to hear the single!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #993 on: August 24, 2018, 02:12:07 AM »

A special album indeed! I'm glad JP has stepped back a bit, and allowed the other guys to contribute much more this time around. (...)
He's taking care of other Guys stomach in a free time instaed of writing ;) haha ;) Just joking, great news for me ! Lyrics from JM, from MM are even much greater mews :) can't wait!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #994 on: August 24, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
Very exciting. Do we know if James is recording vocals in the same studio? I think the vocals for TA were done in Canada if I'm not mistaken.

I like the idea of them all recording in the same place, to keep the same vibe going.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #995 on: August 24, 2018, 02:26:35 AM »
According to this Instagram post (this one here, in case you missed it) https://www.instagram.com/p/BmW_2Ninzg0/?taken-by=dtimages I would say he definitely is in the same studio as everyone else
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #996 on: August 24, 2018, 04:18:32 AM »

A special album indeed! I'm glad JP has stepped back a bit, and allowed the other guys to contribute much more this time around. (...)
He's taking care of other Guys stomach in a free time instaed of writing ;) haha ;) Just joking, great news for me ! Lyrics from JM, from MM are even much greater mews :) can't wait!

Wait, they also have cats in the studio with them?!? It's even more exciting!!! :biggrin: Joking aside, I'm very pumped for the album, all this has got me excited.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #997 on: August 24, 2018, 05:20:03 AM »
According to this Instagram post (this one here, in case you missed it) https://www.instagram.com/p/BmW_2Ninzg0/?taken-by=dtimages I would say he definitely is in the same studio as everyone else

Yes, you're right - cheers!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #998 on: August 24, 2018, 05:43:33 AM »
And I also think (like the vast majority on here) that DT14 is very likely to be a cracker of an album given all the developments and circumstances.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #999 on: August 24, 2018, 06:01:24 AM »
Pluses and minuses for me, I love JM songs but generally find most JLB penned tunes to be a bit lacking both lyrically and melodically.  I have an open mind of course and hope he comes up with some awesome stuff but his track record is not great imo.  MM is a total wildcard, have no idea what to expect.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1000 on: August 24, 2018, 06:56:29 AM »
Geez... They posted a video update as well. Lyrics are mostly done. With contributions of JP, 2 of JM, more than one from JLB and one from MM. AWESOME
WOW and JP announced it like it isn't a big deal... :lol Really looking foward for this lyrical diversity in the new album, very cool!
Since JP is the primary lyricist in the band, it seems that the album will have at least 8 songs: JP (3 or more), JM (2), JLB (2) and MM (1).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1001 on: August 24, 2018, 07:54:06 AM »
Given how TA was mostly a JP/JR thing, i have high hopes for the new album.
I really like that they've given MM space to write some lyrics. Very interested to see what he came up with, he is a very interesting person when you get to talk with him.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1002 on: August 24, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
Pluses and minuses for me, I love JM songs but generally find most JLB penned tunes to be a bit lacking both lyrically and melodically.
I respectfully disagree wholeheartedly. JLB penned songs are incredible.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online geeeemo

« Reply #1003 on: August 24, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
Pluses and minuses for me, I love JM songs but generally find most JLB penned tunes to be a bit lacking both lyrically and melodically.
I respectfully disagree wholeheartedly. JLB penned songs are incredible.

Yep, love them all! Sacrificed Sons - one of the first hooks that got me into DT  :yarr

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1004 on: August 24, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »
Good update, I'm definitely interested to hear the lyrical diversity.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1005 on: August 24, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
Just seen the video, not sure he actually says more than one from JLB, just says James has finished his lyrics doesn’t he? Sounds like JM is only one who hasn’t finished anyway which fits with reports from years ago which indicated his lyrics always took some work to fit into a song based format. It’s worth the effort though if we get another Learning To Live, Breaking All Illusions or Trial Of Tears.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1006 on: August 24, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »
I was looking at my iPod the other day, trying to decide which Dream Theater album to play, and was blown away.  The self-titled was from 2013.  (I put year of release first in the title, so albums are ordered chronologically.)  It's been five years since the last DT album!  Holy crap.  Has it really been that long?

No, it hasn't.  I never put The Astonishing on my iPod because I knew I'd never listen to it.  But the fact remains that I completely forgot about that album's existence.  This is a long-winded way of saying that The Astonishing is to me quite literally a forgettable album.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new one.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: August 24, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
Agree, Orbert.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1008 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:25 AM »
I was looking at my iPod the other day, trying to decide which Dream Theater album to play, and was blown away.  The self-titled was from 2013.  (I put year of release first in the title, so albums are ordered chronologically.)  It's been five years since the last DT album!  Holy crap.  Has it really been that long?

No, it hasn't.  I never put The Astonishing on my iPod because I knew I'd never listen to it.  But the fact remains that I completely forgot about that album's existence.  This is a long-winded way of saying that The Astonishing is to me quite literally a forgettable album.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new one.

That's a shame, it's got a lot of good stuff on it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1009 on: August 24, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
It is a shame, and I agree that it's got a lot of good stuff on it.

But for me, there's far too little good stuff, and far too much "down time" between the truly memorable segments.  I know that The Astonishing is a different type of album.  I'm an old-school proghead and have several other concept albums in my collection, including a really great one by Dream Theater from 1999.  But The Astonishing just doesn't grab me.  The concept alone is not enough; the music also has to be consistently good or at least interesting to keep my attention, that's where The Astonishing falters.  I'm not going to sit through 15-20 minutes of meh to get to a really cool section, then repeat until the album is finished, and I'm not a pick-and-choose kinda guy.  I listen to albums at a time, so the album overall has to be consistently good or interesting.  For me, The Astonishing is neither of those things.  I don't mind hitting the Skip button once, maybe twice during an 80-minute CD, but skipping 80% of an album to listen to the 20% I actually care to listen to is dumb.

For that reason, I really do look forward to this next album and hopefully a return to form, or perhaps even a new and improved Dream Theater.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: August 24, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »

But for me, there's far too little good stuff, and far too much "down time" between the truly memorable segments.  I know that The Astonishing is a different type of album.  I'm an old-school proghead and have several other concept albums in my collection, including a really great one by Dream Theater from 1999.  But The Astonishing just doesn't grab me.  The concept alone is not enough; the music also has to be consistently good or at least interesting to keep my attention, that's where The Astonishing falters.  I'm not going to sit through 15-20 minutes of meh to get to a really cool section, then repeat until the album is finished, and I'm not a pick-and-choose kinda guy.  I listen to albums at a time, so the album overall has to be consistently good or interesting.  For me, The Astonishing is neither of those things.  I don't mind hitting the Skip button once, maybe twice during an 80-minute CD, but skipping 80% of an album to listen to the 20% I actually care to listen to is dumb.

For that reason, I really do look forward to this next album and hopefully a return to form, or perhaps even a new and improved Dream Theater.

I guess that's where the people who enjoy the album vs not differ.  I think the "downtime" thing has been a big criticism of the album, but I just don't see it.  I feel like maybe I can agree there are spots of a minute here and there of downtime and I can see a the NOMAC tracks adding to that as well, but really I think the album is solid track after track, but it just feels like downtime because a lot of the songs start off softly.  If you just click track after track you can see how someone would find the album as soft and down, like the track run from The Hovering Sojourn through The X Aspect, just listen to the beginning of each track and you might feel this is super soft and boring, but damn there is a lot of great music in those tracks.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1011 on: August 24, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
Dream Theater is one of the few bands for whom I have the entire catalog on physical media, special or deluxe editions when they were available.  I'm not as "hot" on them as I was at one time, but they're still one of my favorite bands.  I picked up The Astonishing on release date and immediately put it into the CD player of my car, where it stayed for a week or so.  I listened to it end-to-end multiple times, which of course is the only way to really check out an album, especially a concept album.  I just found myself getting bored, over and over again.  I get that some songs start quietly and build up, or that there are contrasting heavy and lighter sections, or any of those things which provide variety and keep interest up over the course of two hours or so.

When that wasn't working, I went old school; I sat with the lyrics, read up on the story online, got to know the characters and try to "feel" how the narrative played out, all those good things.  I gained a greater appreciation for the effort JP and JR put into it, as I expected I would, but overall it's the music that carries the work, and most of it is just plain uninteresting to me.  It sounds great, it's well produced and well played; I just don't find it very interesting.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: August 24, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Fair enough Orbert, I know you gave it a shot.  It's been clear it's not for everyone.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1013 on: August 24, 2018, 01:08:48 PM »
. ..  but skipping 80% of an album to listen to the 20%  . . .

Yes, it does sound like you gave it a good shot, Orbert.  I can respect your opinion and you make some good points.

For me it end up being the opposite that I can would only skip 20% of the album if I was only looking for the good stuff I liked.

I am super excited for this new one, can't hardly wait. :)

Offline smegolas

« Reply #1014 on: August 24, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »

Amazing, every word of what you just said was wrong.