Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216087 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #910 on: August 02, 2018, 11:20:45 PM »
I have been skeptical about that account for a white. The grammar indicates that the it’s not a native speaker writing. Words are often missing and the order is often wrong. Plus the account writes in a manner that is far from the personality we know of JM. I mean; “jmyungimages: Who anyone want to join my birthday wishes ? 😁
#dreamtheater #progrock #heavymetal #happybirthday #wish #progmetal #progbirthday”

So I sent JM a quick email: “Is this really your account?”

His response: “No, I don’t know who put this up.”

So that settles that.

Well, shit, as long as you're spilling the beans on pertinent information, ask him if he wrote any lyrics for the new album.  Ask him if Jelly Jam is going to tour and actually make it out of the eastern time zone.  Ask him what his favorite Jordan Rudess app is. 

Or just thanks for settling that. 

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #911 on: August 03, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
Oops, I take my guess back. Thank you for the clarification.
The DT account should not be tagging it then.
Maybe it's relevant to the 'Treasure Hunt'? I'm guessing not, because Noxon took the time to ask about the account. But still!

Offline gm5k

« Reply #912 on: August 03, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »

I'm intrigued by this. Why would your treble be at "maximum for everything else"? I don't think I could listen to anything I own, on any system I own, at maximum treble. It would, almost literally, be a painful experience.

Really depends on the speakers/system.  If your speakers are non-trebley/dark sounding it might sound fine with the treble all the way up.  This could be especially true for someone with damaged HF hearing (like many drummers for instance)  Not saying that's the case for that particular poster.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #913 on: August 03, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
I'm gonna go with Rick Jacobi as the album cover artist.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #914 on: August 04, 2018, 05:37:00 AM »
Re production and sound:

Lyrics are also often dismissed as unimportant for many but all of it is a relevant part of the art. There is no aspect that can't enhance or detract from the experience. How individuals respond is, of course, infinitely variable but ALL of it is important.

A painter carefully selects a shade of paint for all areas of a painting. She won't blindly grab a tube of paint without looking, obviously. The canvas she paints on has an effect as well. The brush she uses, also.

When a publisher puts out a novel they select a particular font and size. When they publish a a graphic novel they make sure the printing is sharp and crisp. There are obvious reasons for making these decisions carefully. If it looks like you're reading the comic through obscured bathroom glass it detracts from the experience.

When someone makes a piece of furniture they choose a fabric that looks good and is strong and comfortable. And so on.

If you don't care how the drums sound or whether the frequencies are uncomfortable on the ear when you listen to a rock record, or what the words are on a song are, then you're only processing and appreciating a fraction of the whole. Which is fine. But you might as well eat the whole sandwich, seeing as you ordered it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #915 on: August 04, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
If you don't care how the drums sound or whether the frequencies are uncomfortable on the ear when you listen to a rock record, or what the words are on a song are, then you're only processing and appreciating a fraction of the whole. Which is fine. But you might as well eat the whole sandwich, seeing as you ordered it.

*I* care, but I don't think the way a song it's mixed has that much importance to the product itself.. It's important? Yes.. But it's not that big a deal.. Music it's notes and how they are organized within a certain structure.. The drums (and bass, to an extent), to these ears of mine, are very necessary elements to the whole picture, but the main instruments are the rest.. And, in my case, there have never been a frequency or type of album sounding that I've disliked so much to concentrate on it rather than the melodies or chord progressions of a song, which are, for me, the 90% of any musical piece of art, which is very far from your 50-50..

Either way, I have nothing against those who think like you, and give the same relevance to the sound-itself than the music-itself.. What I find very unfortunate is that most discussions about the quality of an album or the reasons behind our opinions of them end up being about the sound/production and not about the music per se... which is very different..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline dparrott

« Reply #916 on: August 04, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
Well, I have had the opportunity to listen to most DT albums without any outside influence - only my own experience. And DT12 was very hard to get through because of its extremely loud master. The lacks of dynamics made listening to the album a very tiring experience, and it took me a lot longer to just... break through the loudness of it, and start digesting the actual music.

That's the first album where I actually had to turn down the treble while listening to it.  My treble is max for everything else and it's fine.

I'm intrigued by this. Why would your treble be at "maximum for everything else"? I don't think I could listen to anything I own, on any system I own, at maximum treble. It would, almost literally, be a painful experience.

It's a stock car stereo, so it's not very loud.  Usually bass is mid and treble is max, sounds fine to me.   Unless my hearing is so damaged that I can't hear highs well, which could be the case.  But with DT12 the highs sound louder than other albums.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: August 04, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
I'm gonna go with Rick Jacobi as the album cover artist.

Wait? Freddy is that you?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #918 on: August 06, 2018, 04:13:08 PM »
I have been skeptical about that account for a white. The grammar indicates that the it’s not a native speaker writing. Words are often missing and the order is often wrong. Plus the account writes in a manner that is far from the personality we know of JM. I mean; “jmyungimages: Who anyone want to join my birthday wishes ? 😁
#dreamtheater #progrock #heavymetal #happybirthday #wish #progmetal #progbirthday”

So that settles that.

That profile used to follow an Indonesian 9gag fake page, so that gave it away too. I just don't understand Give me one more chance why so many fake pages have been popping up from there lately.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #919 on: August 06, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »

So that settles that.

Good to know.  But his Twitter account is ABSOLUTELY real.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=16833.0
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #920 on: August 06, 2018, 08:16:32 PM »

So that settles that.

Good to know.  But his Twitter account is ABSOLUTELY real.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=16833.0

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #921 on: August 07, 2018, 03:14:01 AM »

So that settles that.

lolz good times in that thread.  :lol
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #922 on: August 09, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
My spoiled self needs more video updates from JP.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #923 on: August 09, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »

He is at his guitar universe camp thing this week. So I'm guessing they are all taking a break for the week.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: August 09, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »

He is at his guitar universe camp thing this week. So I'm guessing they are all taking a break for the week.

Yea, there's plenty of media from the guitar camp, but can only be at one place at a time.  I'm sure we'll get more updates in the next week or so.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #925 on: August 09, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »
Oh, I had forgotten about the camp. I was beginning to believe that he was having issues in the studio. Silly me. Haha.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #926 on: August 09, 2018, 06:58:29 PM »
I’m assuming JP finished tracking his rhythms before the camp, judging by the recent Instagram pic of JM? Probably gonna start him up on Monday maybe?

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #927 on: August 09, 2018, 08:04:51 PM »
I’m assuming JP finished tracking his rhythms before the camp, judging by the recent Instagram pic of JM? Probably gonna start him up on Monday maybe?

The DT instagram account tagged the @jmyungimages account in that post, again :huh:

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #928 on: August 09, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
The DT instagram account tagged the @jmyungimages account in that post, again :huh:
I'm starting to believe it has to do with the "Treasue hunt". No idea what for, though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #929 on: August 09, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »

My bet is that whoever manages DT's social media isn't aware that it isn't JM's account and just tags it without thinking too much about it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #930 on: August 11, 2018, 10:17:24 PM »
DT just posted a pic on Instagram of James in the studio with the caption “The calm before the storm”. Does this mean they’re going to track vocals already? I always thought vocals were the last thing to be recorded for a song/album.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #931 on: August 12, 2018, 06:06:55 AM »
DT just posted a pic on Instagram of James in the studio with the caption “The calm before the storm”. Does this mean they’re going to track vocals already? I always thought vocals were the last thing to be recorded for a song/album.

No, they are covering Anathema's song. :neverusethis:  :biggrin:

I is excited.  :metal
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: August 12, 2018, 06:40:33 AM »

No, they are covering Anathema's song. :neverusethis:  :biggrin:

I is excited.  :metal

Anathema's song title is the other way around. Gotta be Judas Priest cover.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #933 on: August 13, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »

Still don’t like the idea of tracking guitar before bass. JM should just be concentrating on locking in with Mangini. Sure hope he’s not mostly just playing the root notes of JP’s parts.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #934 on: August 13, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »

Still don’t like the idea of tracking guitar before bass. JM should just be concentrating on locking in with Mangini. Sure hope he’s not mostly just playing the root notes of JP’s parts.

Guitar is usually tracked before bass because it’s a lead instrument.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #935 on: August 14, 2018, 12:23:23 AM »

But the bass should really support the riffs. It should not call attention to itself.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #936 on: August 14, 2018, 04:15:17 AM »
Anyway, since they're at this stage of the tracking.... do you realize that, even though not completely finished, basically DT14 already "exists"? For all of us The Astonishing is DT's last album but the new album is already there. Sure, it's not all recorded but the songs are there, the lyrics most likely are all done. They know the style, they have all the titles, it's quite probable that they already have an album title and maybe they already have an idea for the cover, which may even be already commissioned to an artist. If there's a single, they must have figured out which is the song to go with. Maybe Petrucci is already thinking ahead about which songs to play live.

The new album is already a certainty for the guys, autumn will be a long period of waiting until we'll all know the details as well  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #937 on: August 14, 2018, 06:17:30 AM »
I would guess the lyrics aren’t all complete. Which means they don’t have titles. From what I’ve seen in past albums, they were still using working titles when recording.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #938 on: August 14, 2018, 07:20:02 AM »
Anyway, since they're at this stage of the tracking.... do you realize that, even though not completely finished, basically DT14 already "exists"? For all of us The Astonishing is DT's last album but the new album is already there. Sure, it's not all recorded but the songs are there, the lyrics most likely are all done. They know the style, they have all the titles, it's quite probable that they already have an album title and maybe they already have an idea for the cover, which may even be already commissioned to an artist. If there's a single, they must have figured out which is the song to go with. Maybe Petrucci is already thinking ahead about which songs to play live.

The new album is already a certainty for the guys, autumn will be a long period of waiting until we'll all know the details as well  :metal

Yes, always a bit strange when you realize that a potential thing is now a real thing. Even stranger when you consider that we will probably hear a song in the next few months!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #939 on: August 14, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »

Yes, always a bit strange when you realize that a potential thing is now a real thing. Even stranger when you consider that we will probably hear a song in the next few months!

They'll probably take a long break for Christmas / New Years. The question is will we get a track before that happens.... or in January?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #940 on: August 14, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »

They'll probably take a long break for Christmas / New Years. The question is will we get a track before that happens.... or in January?

The album will probably be released in late January/early February, so it makes sense to expect a new song to be releases this year, something similar to the release of TGOM from TA in late November (IIRC) :tup

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #941 on: August 14, 2018, 08:34:14 AM »

Most metal/hard rock bands track guitar before bass, unless they are cutting drums and bass together. It's really not a big deal, if JMX is really worried about locking in with MM and not hearing as much of JP, they could simply turn the guitar tracks down while JMX is tracking so he just hears primarily drums.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #942 on: August 14, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
Where does JR fit in the equation? The last to record after James? Before James?

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #943 on: August 14, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
Where does JR fit in the equation? The last to record after James? Before James?

To the best of my knowledge, DT typically records in this order - drums, guitars, bass, keys, vocals - and overdubs for solos get tracked at various points throughout that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #944 on: August 14, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »

But the bass should really support the riffs. It should not call attention to itself.

The bass "should not call attention to itself"?!  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

JM "should just be concentrating on locking in with Mangini"?!

Isn't it awfully presumptuous to be suggesting what a guy who's been a successful recording artist for nearly 30 years "should be" concentrating on while recording?  Don't you suppose he knows what he "should be" concentrating on?  And, even if he wants to "concentrat[e] on locking in with Mangini," what difference does it make if the guitars have already been recorded?  You understand that, if he wants, he can have the guitar completely omitted from what he's listening to while he's recording, right?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung