Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216028 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #840 on: July 26, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
Good options for me would be Jens Bogren, Nolly and Kevin Shirley.

I'd be thrilled with any of these. Maybe Steven Wilson, too.
SW's approach to calm/atmospheric prog is fine. Metal? Hmmm. Dunno

Listen to Opeth’s Blackwater Park. Steven Wilson can absolutely produce metal.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #841 on: July 27, 2018, 02:22:45 AM »
Good options for me would be Jens Bogren, Nolly and Kevin Shirley.

I'd be thrilled with any of these. Maybe Steven Wilson, too.
SW's approach to calm/atmospheric prog is fine. Metal? Hmmm. Dunno

Listen to Opeth’s Blackwater Park. Steven Wilson can absolutely produce metal.

Didn't know he produced this beauty. Yeah, he can produce metal for sure...

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #842 on: July 27, 2018, 06:12:02 AM »
I think he's said in the past that he's not a huge fan of Dream Theater so not sure he would be interested even if asked, which he probably won't be.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #843 on: July 27, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
Yeah, he’s not a DT guy. He liked Repentance, but his apology on Repentance was for an interview where he was talking about how much he doesn’t like DT.

DT aren’t really a very Wilsonny band, either. There’s more crossover than there used to be now that he’s doing more openly progressive stuff, but DT are a bit too... majestic? SW’s style is a lot more atmospheric. They’re probably the two biggest progressive artists of the current generation, but I don’t think they’d combine well.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #844 on: July 27, 2018, 08:40:27 AM »
I would think Jens Bogren would be a good fit with DT as far as producer and engineer, mixer, and mastering. What Jens has done with Fates Warning, Haken (and a lot of bands) has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Still not sure who is the recording engineer for this album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #845 on: July 27, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »

People keep saying it's some guy named "Jimmy T" who apparently does their live sound or something? Not really sure beyond that...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2018, 08:49:02 AM »
Yeah, he’s not a DT guy. He liked Repentance, but his apology on Repentance was for an interview where he was talking about how much he doesn’t like DT.

DT aren’t really a very Wilsonny band, either. There’s more crossover than there used to be now that he’s doing more openly progressive stuff, but DT are a bit too... majestic? SW’s style is a lot more atmospheric. They’re probably the two biggest progressive artists of the current generation, but I don’t think they’d combine well.

Agree. Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree are totally different than DT. Seems pretty obvious to me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »
Not sure what the normal process is, but would a producer not normally be involved in the early stages of recording too? I mean, if there was a certain type of sound they wanted to go for, would this not affect the process of miking up drums, amps as well?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #848 on: July 27, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
Not sure what the normal process is, but would a producer not normally be involved in the early stages of recording too? I mean, if there was a certain type of sound they wanted to go for, would this not affect the process of miking up drums, amps as well?
Yeah, a producer is a bit like a film director - they're making creative suggestions, they're helping the album take shape. They'd be in basically from the start.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #849 on: July 27, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »

People keep saying it's some guy named "Jimmy T" who apparently does their live sound or something? Not really sure beyond that...

James Meslin “Jimmy T”. JP said he and Maddi worked hard on making the studio ready for recording. He’s appeared on a few videos they’ve posted about the writing/recording, and he’s listed as assistant recording engineer on both DT12 and TA. On his Facebook says he works as an audio engineer for Cove City Sound Studios (where they recorded ADTOE, DT12 and TA), and also has “Audio and sorts” for DT listed in their same section. He isn’t their live sound guy, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
Yeah, a producer is a bit like a film director - they're making creative suggestions, they're helping the album take shape. They'd be in basically from the start.

Actually an album producer isn't much like a film director at all. A film director is calling all the shots on the set, and depending on who he is and the project, he has a hand in the casting, the set design, the script, the editing, and whatever else he/she wants to be involved with.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #851 on: July 27, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
James Meslin “Jimmy T”. JP said he and Maddi worked hard on making the studio ready for recording. He’s appeared on a few videos they’ve posted about the writing/recording, and he’s listed as assistant recording engineer on both DT12 and TA. On his Facebook says he works as an audio engineer for Cove City Sound Studios (where they recorded ADTOE, DT12 and TA), and also has “Audio and sorts” for DT listed in their same section. He isn’t their live sound guy, though.

Ah gotcha, thanks. I see on LinkedIn he does have "Sound Tech" for DT on his resume over the last several years.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #852 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/ODM9vvvXWD8

DT14 studio video 1: technical prog madness. Check.
DT14 studio video 2: dark drop C groove. Check.
DT14 studio video 3: heavy (drop A?) riff. Check.

ToT part II. Anyone?  :metal
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:22:52 PM by Renzo »

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

Offline Kocak

« Reply #856 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »
I am liking the interaction this time around. Simple, here's what we are doing kinda thing. And the snippets sound great. I hope they don't destroy it in the mixing.

In other news, I think JM has an Instagram account now, and he's rather active.

https://www.instagram.com/jmyungimages/

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #858 on: July 27, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
Smell My Beard 20 minute epic confirmed.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #859 on: July 27, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »
That's actually the album title, Smell the Beard. I heard the label has some issues with the artwork, though...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #860 on: July 27, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
That's actually the album title, Smell the Beard. I heard the label has some issues with the artwork, though...

The cover artwork features John's current beard and every page of the booklet features the beard growing process.  :rollin
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:29:45 PM by RMGadelha »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #861 on: July 27, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »

It's incredibly offensive to lumber jacks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #862 on: July 27, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »

It's incredibly offensive to lumber jacks.

The cover artwork features John's current beard and every page of the booklet features the beard growing process.  :rollin

:rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #863 on: July 27, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »

https://wario.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_T.

:justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #864 on: July 27, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »

As far as I know, not him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #865 on: July 27, 2018, 10:20:15 PM »

As far as I know, not him.

Looks like a fan account to me.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #866 on: July 28, 2018, 02:13:31 AM »

https://wario.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_T.

:justjen

:rollin :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #867 on: July 28, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »

What’s wrong with being sexy?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #868 on: July 28, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »

Hold My Beard
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #869 on: July 28, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
That new snippet sounds pretty djenty... looks like they're taking in more modern influences on this album. Obviously the first two snippets sound more like normal DT though.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #870 on: July 30, 2018, 03:07:07 PM »
It’s sometimes nice to be completely ignorant when it comes to production, mixing, etc... I don’t hear anything wrong with the drums on any of the last 3 albums.
This!  I never noticed anything wrong that jumped out at me with the recordings. I just enjoyed the music and didn't try to pick it apart.
 Maybe I should re-listen to everything and find a new hobby by critiquing the sound production on each drum. It might be alot of fun!  :tup :tdwn 😎

:lol

Exactly my thoughts.. Is not a thing of knowing about mixing/producing/etc to properly judge if you liked an album or not, but to just listen to the damn music.. Don't understand those who REALLY care about the sound, and who's the producer, etc... it's DT, who cares about all that?..

And this one!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlmcOPqHqjJ/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1j8nardzjrg5n

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline liran95

« Reply #871 on: July 31, 2018, 08:10:26 AM »
It’s sometimes nice to be completely ignorant when it comes to production, mixing, etc... I don’t hear anything wrong with the drums on any of the last 3 albums.
This!  I never noticed anything wrong that jumped out at me with the recordings. I just enjoyed the music and didn't try to pick it apart.
 Maybe I should re-listen to everything and find a new hobby by critiquing the sound production on each drum. It might be alot of fun!  :tup :tdwn 😎

Exactly my thoughts.. Is not a thing of knowing about mixing/producing/etc to properly judge if you liked an album or not, but to just listen to the damn music.. Don't understand those who REALLY care about the sound, and who's the producer, etc... it's DT, who cares about all that?..

And this one!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlmcOPqHqjJ/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1j8nardzjrg5n

I can understand your point, but IMO, of course the sound matters. At least to some extent.
I mean, if you compare the drums in FII to those in DT12, it just stands out that the depth of the sound is miles away from each other.
I think the worst drum sound was produced in DT12. In some songs (Enigma Machine for example) I can't stand the drums, they just sound so muddy and flat. It really hurts the whole listening experience for me.

For comparison (an exaggerated one, but still valid), it would be like the guitar solos were played without distortion (on a clean guitar). The notes and rhythm would still be the same, but the impact would be completely damaged.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #872 on: July 31, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »

And this one!

I can understand your point, but IMO, of course the sound matters. At least to some extent.
I mean, if you compare the drums in FII to those in DT12, it just stands out that the depth of the sound is miles away from each other.
I think the worst drum sound was produced in DT12. In some songs (Enigma Machine for example) I can't stand the drums, they just sound so muddy and flat. It really hurts the whole listening experience for me.

For comparison (an exaggerated one, but still valid), it would be like the guitar solos were played without distortion (on a clean guitar). The notes and rhythm would still be the same, but the impact would be completely damaged.

I agree with you, liran95. And that is why I never listen to WDaDU and practically never to DT12.

B.Lee

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #873 on: August 01, 2018, 04:24:15 AM »

And this one!

I agree with you, liran95. And that is why I never listen to WDaDU and practically never to DT12.

B.Lee

Well, at least WD&DU has that certain do-it-youself vibe in its sound that I find pretty authentic. And it still sounds better than Spock's Beard's The Light which has the same vibe.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Trav86

« Reply #874 on: August 01, 2018, 07:02:37 AM »
Yeah, poor production doesn’t stop me from enjoying the music.  It might suck, but I don’t completely discredit an album based on production.  I love WDADU!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?