Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216003 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #805 on: July 24, 2018, 11:44:49 PM »
Now, we just need to find out who's going to mix it.

Please, Godtrucci, never asked for anyone other than Jens Bogren. Let thy will be done. It will be what it needs to be. Amen

Amen.

Or just ask Nolly :corn

Another excellent option to give'em that nice modern wonderfully balanced sound, I wouldn't mind either.
I agree. I would think they would have gotten him to help with the drum sound though. He's a magician when it comes to recording drums.

Yeah, Haken already knows it, hope that DT could go the same way, wishful thinking..
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #806 on: July 25, 2018, 12:28:35 AM »
It’s sometimes nice to be completely ignorant when it comes to production, mixing, etc... I don’t hear anything wrong with the drums on any of the last 3 albums.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #807 on: July 25, 2018, 12:52:21 AM »
I don't really understand how the music business works, but it seems like the whole album will be recorded and mixed by like September. Do we really need to wait until 2019 to get our hands on the thing? :lol
Recording seems to be on track to finish mid-late August, if we assume all the other four take a week or so each.

Call it another month for mixing (number picked basically from a hat!) and the album will exist in a finished format mid-September. There probably is an ambitious-but-doable timeline that would have the album out in 2018: Let’s say they’ve finalised the cover art by the time the mix is delivered, they could do a two month promo period and release in mid-November, or a more standard three month with a mid-December release.

I think the issue is that Christmas and the lead-up to Christmas is a bit of a pain for messaging.  Every big mainstream franchise is competing for your attention with their mid-November, early-December release dates so you’ll buy their stuff for Christmas - and that’s not just the music industry. If you want to stand out, you need to bring your big boy pants - and in switching from RoadRunner to InsideOut, Dream Theater have just taken their big boy pants off and slipped into something more comfortable.

I’m not slagging off InsideOut by the way, they’re a perfectly cromulent record label and I’d be surprised if they didn’t do a good job of promoting the biggest band on their label! But I doubt they’ll want to go all-in on promoting it while everyone with a franchise is doing the same thing. I imagine we’ll get a reveal and a single this year, but January is a much safer time to be ramping up promo, with maybe an early February release?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:59:59 AM by robwebster »

Offline dream75

« Reply #808 on: July 25, 2018, 03:11:59 AM »
I think the new album will be released on January 25th and between the end of November and the beginning of December the first single

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #809 on: July 25, 2018, 03:23:04 AM »
Was there any progress with the third password??

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #810 on: July 25, 2018, 06:34:00 AM »
It's oFinallyFreeo

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #811 on: July 25, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »

Please, Godtrucci, never asked for anyone other than Jens Bogren. Let thy will be done. It will be what it needs to be. Amen

Amen.

Another excellent option to give'em that nice modern wonderfully balanced sound, I wouldn't mind either.
I agree. I would think they would have gotten him to help with the drum sound though. He's a magician when it comes to recording drums.

Yeah, Haken already knows it, hope that DT could go the same way, wishful thinking..

Agreed, I'm still holding out hope that they have Nolly mix it though.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #812 on: July 25, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »

Amen.

Nolly does get good drum sounds.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #813 on: July 25, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »
Nolly does get good drum sounds.

I see what you did there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #814 on: July 25, 2018, 09:56:34 AM »

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #815 on: July 25, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
The word for today is

cromulent

I find that sentiment most cromulent.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #816 on: July 25, 2018, 11:06:41 AM »
I’m not slagging off InsideOut by the way, they’re a perfectly cromulent record label

Weren't the Cromulents a villain in Star Trek?

If only there were a dedicated thread for that.  Maybe it could be called "Treasure Hunt."   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #817 on: July 25, 2018, 11:13:37 AM »
I like how after all these years of people arguing about the snare sound, they went "Listen here, you little shits..." and released a video of them literally working on the snare sound.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #818 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
I like how after all these years of people arguing about the snare sound, they went "Listen here, you little shits..." and released a video of them literally working on the snare sound.

Yeah, and I love it. However, it could still be ruined during the mixing stage, according to some people here. I will remain positive, nonetheless.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #819 on: July 25, 2018, 11:31:35 AM »

Amen.

Agreed, I'm still holding out hope that they have Nolly mix it though.

Good options for me would be Jens Bogren, Nolly and Kevin Shirley.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #820 on: July 25, 2018, 11:32:52 AM »

If only the snare sounded good, it would have been a great middle finger.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #821 on: July 25, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »
I’m not slagging off InsideOut by the way, they’re a perfectly cromulent record label

If only there were a dedicated thread for that.  Maybe it could be called "Treasure Hunt."   ;D

So "cromulent" is the third password? :omg:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #822 on: July 25, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »
It’s sometimes nice to be completely ignorant when it comes to production, mixing, etc... I don’t hear anything wrong with the drums on any of the last 3 albums.
This!  I never noticed anything wrong that jumped out at me with the recordings. I just enjoyed the music and didn't try to pick it apart.
 Maybe I should re-listen to everything and find a new hobby by critiquing the sound production on each drum. It might be alot of fun!  :tup :tdwn 😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #823 on: July 25, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »

I'd be thrilled with any of these. Maybe Steven Wilson, too.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #824 on: July 25, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »

I'd be thrilled with any of these. Maybe Steven Wilson, too.
SW's approach to calm/atmospheric prog is fine. Metal? Hmmm. Dunno

His works as engineer/mixer/producer with Anathema went great, AFAIK... Well, there's the productions along Mikael Åkerfeldt, which could show his skills with heavier stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #825 on: July 25, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »

If only the snare sounded good, it would have been a great middle finger.

:lol It was a pretty typical sounding snare - it didn't sound great, it didn't sound bad. It was also what looked like phone recording from another room.

I still have hope!

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #826 on: July 25, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »

I had a cromulent for breakfast.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #827 on: July 25, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
The word for today is

cromulent

It's a perfectly cromulent word. It embiggens the discourse.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #828 on: July 25, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »

I had a cromulent for breakfast.

If I recall correctly, MP's octabarns were extremely cromulent.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #829 on: July 25, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »
The word for today is

cromulent

It's a perfectly cromulent word. It embiggens the discourse.

A cromulent snare embiggens the overall drum sound.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #830 on: July 26, 2018, 01:22:03 AM »
I love the instant comedic understanding between these two. How does on even come up with a line like: 'it sounds like there's a plummer in the room' and then John instantly replying: "and his name is Phil McCracken". I mean, come on. That's gold.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: July 26, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »
I love the instant comedic understanding between these two. How does on even come up with a line like: 'it sounds like there's a plummer in the room' and then John instantly replying: "and his name is Phil McCracken". I mean, come on. That's gold.

"That's Gold Jerry... GOLD!"  I'd like to see JMX crank out his version of the Seinfeld theme; maybe make it an easter egg on the album.

Enjoying the updates just like everyone else; and it's nice to see them having fun in each other's company.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #832 on: July 26, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »

"That's Gold Jerry... GOLD!"  I'd like to see JMX crank out his version of the Seinfeld theme; maybe make it an easter egg on the album.

Fun fact, the Seinfeld opening theme was recorded for each individual episode to perfectly sink up with the first line.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #833 on: July 26, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »

Fun fact, the Seinfeld opening theme was recorded for each individual episode to perfectly sink up with the first line.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PetFish

« Reply #834 on: July 26, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »
Aren't we at war with the Cromulents and their big shoulder pads and pointy eyebrows?

My favourite "in sync" moment is from the LaB tour video where MP is talking about the guys not hearing the cowbell and they do the "he's got a feva!" thing from SnL.  Now that's gold, Jerry, GOLD!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: July 26, 2018, 02:39:43 PM »
My favourite "in sync" moment is from the LaB tour video where MP is talking about the guys not hearing the cowbell and they do the "he's got a feva!" thing from SnL.  Now that's gold, Jerry, GOLD!

Funny I distinctly remember that (was it from the L@B video?) and did not know the reference, and thus thought it was the most random comment.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #836 on: July 26, 2018, 03:23:24 PM »

Funny I distinctly remember that (was it from the L@B video?) and did not know the reference, and thus thought it was the most random comment.

It's from the "Riding the Train of Thought" documentary on the Budokan video.  I just watched it within the last couple weeks.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #837 on: July 26, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #839 on: July 26, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »
Funny. It’s the same one he’s been using since the Systematic Chaos tour.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?