Author Topic: Dream Theater Finishes Smoking Barbecue!! - Album in Food Warmer!  (Read 216073 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Dream Theater going into the studio in 2 weeks
« Reply #771 on: July 24, 2018, 07:55:24 AM »
who was playing the drums while Mangini and JP was talking? Or was that an audio of recorded drums?

It’s what he’s already recorded. It’s better to listen to that to count you in, instead of just a metronome count, especially if you’re tracking a part that’s like right in the middle of a musical section.

I was talking about the part about JP cooking and MM playing in a PS. :-P

Offline gm5k

« Reply #772 on: July 24, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »
JP mentioned that Rupert Neve Designs helped them transform the place into a recording studio.  Would love to know what they did/provided.  I know JP loves Neve preamps for recording electric guitar.  Hope there's some info and possibly video on that for us studio gear nerds  :o

Wonder if they might be recording into a RND console that then goes directly into Pro Tools, or if they're just going straight into digital from the source.  Easy enough to have a combination of analog and digital these days if that's what the guys wanted. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #773 on: July 24, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »
JP to start tracking guitars now: https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/photos/a.133462500039104.42405.126844294034258/2053557848029550/?type=3&theater  :metal

Btw, looks like the engineer for this album is James "Jimmy T" Meslin, and not Rich Chycki. He was the assistant engineer on both DT12 and TA (according to allmusic) and seems to be doing it all by himself this time. Now, we just need to find out who's going to mix it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #774 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »
JP to start tracking guitars now: https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/photos/a.133462500039104.42405.126844294034258/2053557848029550/?type=3&theater  :metal

WELL WELL WELL... This is turning out to be quicker than I expected..  :metal I bet we are going to get a single before 2019..

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #775 on: July 24, 2018, 10:44:06 AM »
I bet we are going to get a single before 2019..

Oh, definitely :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gm5k

« Reply #776 on: July 24, 2018, 10:45:01 AM »

Btw, looks like the engineer for this album is James "Jimmy T" Meslin, and not Rich Chycki. He was the assistant engineer on both DT12 and TA (according to allmusic) and seems to be doing it all by himself this time. Now, we just need to find out who's going to mix it.

Great info, thanks.  Looks possibly like two ribbons and a dynamic on the cab?  Just guessing hard to tell with mic on far left. 

Edit: actually looks like mic on far left could be a condenser or a dynamic like a Sennheiser MD421.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #777 on: July 24, 2018, 11:20:13 AM »
Now, we just need to find out who's going to mix it.

Please, Godtrucci, never asked for anyone other than Jens Bogren. Let thy will be done. It will be what it needs to be. Amen

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: July 24, 2018, 11:58:31 AM »

Please, Godtrucci, never asked for anyone other than Jens Bogren. Let thy will be done. It will be what it needs to be. Amen

Amen.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #779 on: July 24, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
Awesome that drums are done already, that little heavy clip of a song in that video sounded great!

I also enjoyed that they specifically included a clip of the guys talking about the crack of the snare.  :lol

On to guitar!  :metal

Online pg1067

« Reply #780 on: July 24, 2018, 12:08:41 PM »
I love JP telling MM to chill out and wait because JP is making food!   :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #781 on: July 24, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »
Guitars before bass? I thought that the rhythm section always gets recorded first.

Well, they did do demos so maybe the recording order is irrelevant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: July 24, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »
Not sure why, but I seem to remember JM coming in after the rhythm guitars were done. Don't remember why I think that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #783 on: July 24, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
Guitars before bass? I thought that the rhythm section always gets recorded first.

I have a guitar magazine from 2008, where JP says they have always (unusually) recorded the bass last, because their music focuses on the interplay between guitar and drums.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #784 on: July 24, 2018, 12:25:43 PM »

Yea.  Since they did high quality demos they have really solid bass lines for JP to groove with.  Like you said it makes the recording order less important I would think.

Ah cool info Evai.  Guess it wouldn't have mattered then, but definitely doesn't hurt to have those HQ multitracked demos.  Can only help with feeling connected to the recording/record for a performer.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #785 on: July 24, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
A lot of guitar-based rock or metal bands record guitars before bass, it's very common in the genre and DT (to the best of my knowledge) have always recorded main rhythm guitars before bass. 

Offline gm5k

« Reply #786 on: July 24, 2018, 01:21:28 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BloB0YVjdWt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=199qeskdfmbyq

JP and engineer finding the right tone (funny video on JP's Insta)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #787 on: July 24, 2018, 01:23:05 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BloB0YVjdWt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=199qeskdfmbyq

Turn down your speakers though... Just a heads up.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #788 on: July 24, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
It's so nice to see they're having fun. Can't wait for this damn album.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #789 on: July 24, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
I like that heavy snippet! It's heavy without being overblown, heavy like the intro of The Mirror (few simple notes that hit you like a concrete wall), not Chugga-chugga-wanka-wanka-drllldrlldrll-play-a-million-notes-because-you-can heavy. Looking forward to it!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #790 on: July 24, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »

So, DT12 was chocolate cake tone, now it's T-Rex roar tone? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #791 on: July 24, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »
That's funny!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #792 on: July 24, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »

:lol I love that they are really having fun with the fans this time around.

In all seriousness, that JP sig guitar he has in that video is lovely.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #793 on: July 24, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »

So, DT12 was chocolate cake tone, now it's T-Rex roar tone? :lol

That's before they got the mids in check  :lol

Maybe now it's more like a Plesiosaur.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #794 on: July 24, 2018, 01:42:33 PM »
I also liked the keyboard in that snippet. Sounds like a dark song, which I love.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #795 on: July 24, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
I don't really understand how the music business works, but it seems like the whole album will be recorded and mixed by like September. Do we really need to wait until 2019 to get our hands on the thing? :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #796 on: July 24, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »
I don't really understand how the music business works, but it seems like the whole album will be recorded and mixed by like September. Do we really need to wait until 2019 to get our hands on the thing? :lol

They have to master it, they have to prepare the promotional campaign, they have to organize interviews, they have to get the hype going, they have to physically mass produce all the CDs etc.... yeah, maybe it can be done quicker if one wants it, but there are certain timeframes for that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #797 on: July 24, 2018, 03:03:36 PM »

I think it depends much more on the label's schedule than on the band's will... At the end of the year it'll be one full year since they got signed to IO, and haven't released anything. Hope they anticipate the release. For like... November. So I get a nice bd gift  :biggrin:

They have to master it, they have to prepare the promotional campaign, they have to organize interviews, they have to get the hype going, they have to physically mass produce all the CDs etc.... yeah, maybe it can be done quicker if one wants it, but there are certain timeframes for that.

And we still have all the possible interesting gadgets for the special/deluxe releases, so they might need some time producing those... Assuming that IO handle things differently than RRR.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #798 on: July 24, 2018, 03:07:08 PM »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #799 on: July 24, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
I like that heavy snippet! It's heavy without being overblown, heavy like the intro of The Mirror (few simple notes that hit you like a concrete wall), not Chugga-chugga-wanka-wanka-drllldrlldrll-play-a-million-notes-because-you-can heavy. Looking forward to it!
It's actually very similar to Outcry riff at 2 min
I'd dare to assume that this album will resemble ADTOE the most
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #800 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:27 PM »

I've noticed it takes about 8-9 months from the day they start writing until the day of release. A couple of examples being ToT (3/10/2003 to 11/11/03) and ADToE (1/3/2011 to 9/12/2011)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #801 on: July 24, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »

Amen.

Or just ask Nolly :corn

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #802 on: July 24, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »
It's actually very similar to Outcry riff at 2 min
I'd dare to assume that this album will resemble ADTOE the most

I wouldn't mind that. I love ADTOE.

Offline lucasembarbosa

« Reply #803 on: July 24, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »

Amen.

Another excellent option to give'em that nice modern wonderfully balanced sound, I wouldn't mind either.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #804 on: July 24, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »

Amen.

Another excellent option to give'em that nice modern wonderfully balanced sound, I wouldn't mind either.
I agree. I would think they would have gotten him to help with the drum sound though. He's a magician when it comes to recording drums.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios